My Last Roll...a thread about survival...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: My Last Roll...a thread about survival...

Post by wanneroo » 20 Mar 2020, 10:38 am

JimTom wrote:It would seem that people here are now starting to buy ammo and reloading supplies etc, definitely not to the same extent as the toilet paper fiasco, nevertheless people seem to be stocking up a bit. As I understand it, this is being driven by ammo sales in the USA. I too received an email from a notable retailer advising that stocks are reducing and there is an expectant price rise imminent. Of course.

There was an excess of inventory of ammo on the shelves around the USA but it is being hoovered up fast. I heard Federal ammo was going to add shifts and overtime but no extra machines. If this is a thing that goes on for months it will suck up a lot of ammo and subsequently reloading components. Also due to increases in costs for raw materials, a lot of prices across the board were going up anyways. I'd say if you want something US sourced I would stock up now.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Mar 2020, 10:44 am

Tassie stocks are depleting fast and at LEAST 6 months before a restock...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by wanneroo » 20 Mar 2020, 10:56 am

JimTom wrote:Powder supplies during “normal” times are unreliable at best, I shudder to think how they will be if ADI send more than usual overseas to the US to cope with demand. Hmmm maybe one should go and buy an extra tin of powder, but then again that will just perpetuate the problem of short supply.

It's kinda of like the toilet paper viral thing. People see one person buying up a cart of it and then it just spreads until it's all gone.

That's why I prepared during the good times of low prices and availability, buying bulk, I knew something someday somehow would happen and it has. The only hole I had in my reloading components was 300 Blackout oriented bullets and I fixed that problem today. I was a little concerned about how many primers I had but then opened an ammo can today and found 6000 primers I had forgot about so it was like Christmas :o :o :o

The governor of this state ordered all non life sustaining businesses closed as of Saturday morning and many thousands are losing their jobs as we speak with more to come so it appears the government is going to cure "the thing" with a great depression. Law Enforcement has announced they may be delayed in answering calls or not answer them at all perhaps, so we are on our own. I had to break out my sealed in plastic 40 round AR magazines today and start loading them. Things are very chill right now but a month from now if more than half the population is without work, all the bills they have are due, food and supplies dry up or utilities get shut off, it's going to deteriorate very fast.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Mar 2020, 11:10 am

Wtf.... so to stop a couple people getting sick now they are shutting everything down so In 3 months there will be more deaths
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Mar 2020, 11:22 am

]

Very, very true. Things could deteriorate very quickly from here...
There were two teenage girls yesterday in south Tas, skipping thru a supermarket spitting on ppl for fun, yelling out they were infected - spitting on as many as they could - it took police an hour to get there and they spent 20 mins getting suited up.
Police have also stopped doing planned random breath stations...and I imagine, an officer approaching a car, where the occupant is coughing loudly, might rethink it...

There are few more hurdles to fall over - but it must be on the radar. Someone said before - the generations they are reliant on handouts will be first to panic, as they have zero skills, but will their unhinging bring others to follow?

Interesting hearing from USA perspective - sounds similar.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 20 Mar 2020, 11:28 am

Now, im not having a crack here... :) ...But...!!...

This is exactly the kind of stuff that creates the fear & causes the panic buying.

I also heard a radio announcer this morning talking of someone who went out & panic purchased a heap of flour, sugar & yeast, so she can make bread in case it becomes in short supply...

The thing is, this person doesnt eat bread...!!... :lol:

Having said all that, i cant easily get hold of my go to projectiles now...all out, & the price is to rise by a little... :unknown:

And, im still yet to be sucessful in getting any fuking toilet paper...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Mar 2020, 11:30 am

Stix wrote:Now, im not having a crack here... :) ...But...!!...

This is exactly the kind of stuff that creates the fear & causes the panic buying.

I also heard a radio announcer this morning talking of someone who went out & panic purchased a heap of flour, sugar & yeast, so she can make bread in case it becomes in short supply...

Having said all that, i cant easily get hold of my go to projectiles now...all out, & the price is to rise by a little... :unknown:

True that it is - but it’s also being prepared, being aware of current happenings.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bruiser64 » 20 Mar 2020, 11:57 am

JimTom wrote:My local has said as much here in QLD Bruiser64. Buying an additional tin so as not to run out in the next 6 months is definitely worthy of consideration.

Absolutely. There is a difference between prudent preparation and panic. Buying a tin or two is prudent. Buying ten is panic.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 20 Mar 2020, 11:59 am

Stix wrote:Guy on the wireless...from WA, calls himself a "silver nomad" because he doesnt like grey... :roll:
Traipsing all over & across SA to Broken Hill...

He's actually complaining in his toff type accent that no one is talking about how the virus outbreak is going to affect him (being that he is traveling around)... :?

He also expressed concerns & asked whether WA is going to let him back in across the border... :roll:

Obviously just getting some air time, effectively admitted he's well tuned in to the ABC & so up with the latest, so would be well aware there are no interstate restrictions :unknown:

SO i pead, to the state of WA, let this clown back in to where he belongs please..!!...and when he gets there,.drag him through a corona virus ward of one of your hospitals to alleviate his concerns... :roll:
:lol:

It must be a hard life having so much money you can afford to live out on the road in superb comfort with a much reduced chance of catching such a virus...

No. He’s yours now. We don’t want him back. He’s probably some blonk from Claremont.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by sungazer » 20 Mar 2020, 12:01 pm

wanneroo wrote:
The governor of this state ordered all non life sustaining businesses closed as of Saturday morning and many thousands are losing their jobs as we speak with more to come so it appears the government is going to cure "the thing" with a great depression. Law Enforcement has announced they may be delayed in answering calls or not answer them at all perhaps, so we are on our own. I had to break out my sealed in plastic 40 round AR magazines today and start loading them. Things are very chill right now but a month from now if more than half the population is without work, all the bills they have are due, food and supplies dry up or utilities get shut off, it's going to deteriorate very fast.

Closing all businesses is really going overboard, the knock on effect from that will be disastrous. There are so many important players in the supply chain of Life Sustaining business without one it all falls in a heap.

Just putting more people out of work than is absolutely necessary is going to have huge negative implications.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by trekin » 20 Mar 2020, 12:04 pm

Stix wrote:Now, im not having a crack here... :) ...But...!!...

Go to the Bunnings website and search toilet tissue, most stores have bulk commercial rolls for sale. But keep it under your hat if your local still has any, or they'll sell out as well.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Mar 2020, 12:44 pm

Maybe stop looking for the conventional toilet rolls from the conventional shops - as above, and elsewhere, supply stores have industrial supplies used at depots and similar - my work uses industrial rolls that last months, 600-700mm in diameter, the deployment housing / equipment isn’t really needed, a nail in the wall suffices.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 20 Mar 2020, 1:16 pm

what l dont get is that if we are panic buying but only allowed 1-2 items of each, we must prove we are from the area of the supermarket to be able to buy, the bog roll is made here in oz and the warehouses are full then why the fark dont we see any toilet paper
l suspect it would have nothing to do with rising prices in the past few weeks :roll:

at least we are not having to listen to the crap about climate change that seems to have been put on hold because it is not as much of an emergency
for now :roll: :roll: :roll:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 20 Mar 2020, 1:40 pm

I havent seen the proving you are from the area put in place as yet. I probably wouldnt see it at the local rural store as they know you by face. I do buy from a large store in the suburbs every 2 weeks (cheaper prices) and buy in bulk a lot of goods when on sale. It means I have a good qty of some stuff but also now that there is nothing on those shelves some things not essentials are unobtainium. for instance bacon. I could have got Chicken thighs at a different butcher but the price went from the normal $10 /kg to $16 I can wait for those type of things.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Mar 2020, 1:42 pm

I think MM - it’s not the supply, it’s the distribution chains. My wife is a rep but has been asked to do additional duties in supermarkets because they don’t have the ppl to get products from delivery to the shelves fast enough.
Typically, in Tas at least - most supermarkets have back stores that can hold 2 days supply at best...they just don’t have the room to take truck loads and truck loads of supply.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Mar 2020, 2:16 pm

Agreed Tassie. I was listening to radio the other day, 3aw, the ceo I'd Rockies IGA was on and he said basically the industry has sold 18 months worth of toilet paper in 2 weeks. The biggest issue is not that the factories cant make it, but the distribution centres are getting empty strokes don't hold lathe stock, trucks are running full steam but just can't keep up... one reason truck curfews, where trucks can't get into urban areas during night time.

I can understand price rises, factories are running 24/7 so very likely many people are on double/triple time. All these extra deliveries... i don't think trucking companies have magically bought tens of thousands extra trucks and hired drivers, again most would be ruining over time in double or triple pay.... and so goes on top increase the prices.

Things like meat, well that was expected as due to drought low stock numbers but after the trains many farmers are trying to replenish their breeding stock this increases the demand... which means higher prices.

And i am sure, supermarkets they would never profit from their customers........hahahahaha
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stix » 20 Mar 2020, 2:59 pm

marksman wrote:at least we are not having to listen to the crap about climate change that seems to have been put on hold because it is not as much of an emergency
for now :roll: :roll: :roll:

Haha...bang...bloody...on...!!... :lol:

I had a post typed out saying this & mentioning our dear friend Greta & her lack of media appearance of late... but decided against posting as the thread went a bit awal about chinese and...well...

But Greta/ aka Jane Kennedy on MMM did a toilet paper sketch i missed...gotta hear that one-she is a crack-up...

I wonder if Hreta is being carbon neutral & using big fig & maple leaves for her fanny cleansing... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 20 Mar 2020, 6:38 pm

yea poor old Greta, breaks my heart

in my area you have to produce ID to show you are from the area at the local aldi, or my wife had to at least and l do not reckon it was for if she is old enough to buy groceries, she had 6 items, no dunny paper
we do see an invasion around here till easter because of holiday makers in the area so it is normal to have people from other areas in our supermarkets but it has got to do with the minibuses of "coles tourists" going around emptying the shelves that people are talking about and is all over the news
it was pretty disappointing to see the elderly go to the woolworths early opening only to see nothing on the shelves, l thought it was a great idea but how disappointing to turn up and be waiting since dawn for nothing, woolies should be ashamed of themselves, then then they pass the buck and people buy what they dont want
when l have asked about run out of items l have been told several times its out the back and they will get around to it when they do
the difference l have seen in prices include at the local chemist asthma spray was $11 a pair now asking $56, paracetamol doubled, tissues doubled
groceries but l'm not 100% sure because the usual isn't there so you have to buy the dearer stuff, its time to fill the freezer and grow some veggies
my mate does 2 grocery loads a day in his truck from melbourne to colac, he is not transporting any of the needed runout of groceries from the warehouses, he said they have the stuff but are putting out the least popular stuff to get rid of it at higher prices, he has not been asked to do any extra runs

l know this will all pass but l do not know what it is going to be like after it,
thank fark l own my home and owe no money anywhere
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 20 Mar 2020, 6:52 pm

Something that has not helped the supermarkets is about 10 years ago perhaps more they did away with night fillers. They pushed that task onto the regular staff to do continual shelf stocking through the day.

I was lucky when I went this week when we first got there, There were no Frozen foods, Just as my wife was at the checkout I was doing a last minute check of shelves scanning for stuff we may have forgot. Its hard to find stuff when there is very little there you dont now if you missed it or there is none there. Anyway there was a guy just putting a few packs of frozen chips into the freezer I grabbed two bags of potato gems and a bag of shoestring chips at the checkout the Shoestring chips were not allowed they classed the two products as the same with a limit of 2.

I will check the rural Local store on Monday it will be interesting it gets a lot of business usually from tourists passing through either on the way to holiday destinations a bit of a last stop, last chance to buy what you may have forgotten.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 20 Mar 2020, 7:31 pm

Hmmm...yes well the world has changed now eh...!!??!!...

All the gun shops, like most greedy stores i suppose, are capatilising on the hype now.

I got told yesterday that some bullets i wanted were $72 & if the price hasnt gone up at wholesale level, they will be the same price.
So i rang today to buy a cheaper version that the importer has in stock at old price (i checked with them directly), & funnily enough, the price to myself has gone up 20%.... :(

I rang a Qld store for a particular bullet i want that they are getting delivery of, & they are selling that bullet for $100 now...So they are already selling at over next price increase prices.

Another local i buy my bigger cals from, i got the cocky arrogant dictatory sales pitch from a young fella who's just graduated off the potty...was basically told by him that any normal 'been a customer for decades run of the mill discount' i normally get has gone & i can pay the price he dictates or get fukced...lol...

Im really gobsmacked at the complete & utter lack of comeradery & empathy, & stupendous volumes of greed that have enveloped this capitalist model of society we have chosen... :thumbsdown:

The diggers that got us to the good place we had, would surely be hanging their heads in shame & rolling in their graves at the bullsh!t thats going on here.!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Mar 2020, 8:07 pm

:lol:

Well instead of having a bitch about the entertainment not being to your satisfaction, why dont you think of something to say to steer the conversation back to what you like. :unknown:

I mean, i cant stand channel nine, so i dont bother watching it...nor do i waste my time writing to them telling them how nuch of a bunch of cokheads they are...
(instead i tell all you guys that... :lol: )...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 21 Mar 2020, 12:47 am

i went to the store yesterday and some of the things that are gone i realy dont understand.
they are buying lots of bread like it dont mold or stale but there is lots of flower yeast and bakeing powder any typ of stuff that take some cooking like a roast corn beef or ribs are on the shelf.
It does seem more about panic then about what they realy need like the run on ammo i think they just ran the price up on the stuff when obama was president they drove the price up and the stuff was hard to find it will take months for for the stuff to be on the shelfs good thing i just got powder and projectals and primers.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 21 Mar 2020, 12:51 am

sungazer wrote:
Closing all businesses is really going overboard, the knock on effect from that will be disastrous. There are so many important players in the supply chain of Life Sustaining business without one it all falls in a heap.

Just putting more people out of work than is absolutely necessary is going to have huge negative implications.

It went over like a lead balloon. I'm very pleased with my fellow citizens as the push back has been tremendous. My local state representative was still in his office last night at midnight getting blasted with calls and emails and my Congressman was as well, even though the Congressman is at the federal level. It was a buffoonish order, allowing shale fracking to continue but closing coal mines. Or allowing lumbering to continue to having to close most of the factories that make paper products. With no place to sell their wood, there is no lumbering going on. It even closed tax preparers when tax returns are due April 15 and this is "tax season". One state rep said the governor even wanted to shut down all gas stations and grocery stores so people were trapped.

Today I will be contacting my state rep again, my state senator, the governor himself plus the reps at the federal level.

As I have pointed out to my rep, the only way to fix this is for widespread testing to be in place so people can get tested, we can find who is positive, help them get quarantined and whatever medical care they need. Using a great depression to cure a virus does not work.

My advice to my Australian friends is to prepare yourselves now. Australia seems a little behind the curve with the rest of the world. So I would recommend to people if you need something now, get it. You do not know if you will be locked out of work, lose your job or get locked down in your neighborhood if you live in an urban area. I'm not saying running around panicking with your hands in the air screaming, but things could be very different 2-4 weeks down the road.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Mar 2020, 6:58 am

My last bog roll was very nice high quality.

On the other hand read about a woman who stocked up on floor and yeast ... but doesn't know how to bake breads.

And while Qantas has grounded nearly all its planes, the CEO and directors and upper managers are working on ZERO remuneration. They are putting 2/3rd of the workforce on a break. Unless they have leave or long service leave, they won't gey paid.... and the unions are going mental. Well that explains the unions, who are top thick to see that if crazies go on like this in 3 months Qantas could be bankrupt with no entitlements paid to workers.... but they cry that quartered made billion dollar profits... yes they poetically paid them out to their shareholders.

Got a friend who is a courier driver, no work for them.... with the likelihood that they will be stupid down for a number of months without pay and ges the permanent driver... think about the casuals
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Mar 2020, 8:22 am

Aahh the dumb continues. Queensland govt has banned all container ships. Well they have imposed 14day quarantine to them, meaning they will bypass qld ports or loose huge amount of money in wages..... If this spreads to other ports in Australia..........

How am i going to get my toilet paper.... or my Samsung S20 (joking)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Mar 2020, 9:14 am

A big part of this supply problem lies in the fact that all supermarkets mostly work on a "just in time" freight system. They no longer have large storage areas out the back or hold a lot of reserve stock. The supply truck is unloaded and the products are pretty much put straight on the shelves. On many occasions I've spent over 4 hours unloading a B-double load of goods that in reality could have been unloaded in under half an hour. With very little dock space, the pallets were taken straight from my truck into the store and packed on the shelves. They'd then bring the empty pallet back and take the next full one. The mentality is, "why have storage area that could instead be retail space."
This was at one of the "major" supermarket chains and at every different store I had the misfortune to have to deliver to.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 21 Mar 2020, 9:21 am

trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by perentie » 21 Mar 2020, 9:24 am

With all this panic on bog rolls , none of these cause any need for bulk buying.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202003 ... 1631d3.jpg

Tried to copy and paste the chart but it did not work.
Comparing symptoms of Covid 19, Flu and the common cold.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 21 Mar 2020, 9:46 am

perentie wrote:With all this panic on bog rolls , none of these cause any need for bulk buying.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202003 ... 1631d3.jpg

Tried to copy and paste the chart but it did not work.
Comparing symptoms of Covid 19, Flu and the common cold.

Had all of the top line symptoms back in Jan, tests came up as a unknown "sister" virus to influenza. Doctors back then didn't know about COVID-19 or were not testing for it because they didn't believe it had gotten here. A sister virus is one that has some to all or more of same symptoms, but is not the influenza virus. There are 57 known sister viruses to influenza, all preventable by vaccination but the US military owns the licence to all of those vaccines and only vaccinate their own personal.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 21 Mar 2020, 11:52 am

There is now one case of "the thing" in the next county over about an hour away. The person is now isolated at home.

Went out today, everything is chilled out, which this is the mountains and small town life, so it's typical. Went to the Dollar General, got a few things and then went to one of the local supermarkets. If you squinted your eyes, most stuff looked as normal, a few parts of the store a little lacking, the cookies all ransacked and a few other spots, beef a little dried up but tons of chicken, pork, bacon, etc. I came around the corner to the paper aisle and spied like a sniper about 6 packs of Cottonelle toilet paper with six big rolls each, limit of 2, so I grabbed them to add to the pile as I think I might be staying in for a while. Store was busy enough, everyone polite, a lot of the old folks seemed at peace with everything.

All the charts point to another Great Depression and I guess one good thing is we are headed into summer and this state is a major food producer. Crops are already getting planted, chickens are laying eggs, cows always need milking and we have sort of a micro industry locally with lots of small farms, orchards, dairy farms, hog and cow farms, etc. I've got a dozen deer in the backyard, I can get a hog from a family friend, I've got 50 apple trees, maple trees for tapping for syrup, a mile of blackberry and raspberries, etc. If things are pretty grim I'll need to be looking at using summer to prepare for winter.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation