Sorry we don’t have any

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Sorry we don’t have any

Post by Blr243 » 24 Mar 2020, 9:39 pm

On th hunt flies and mozzies have beeen smashing me last week When trying to buy flypaper coils and repellent I was sick of being told we are out of stock. U can make your own repellent with olive oil vodka and essential oils. And that’s just one recipe. Google it Flies and moths and mozzies in great numbers can b a formidable adversary There were times last week they were getting the better of me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Sorry we don’t have any

Post by Ferrisweil » 24 Mar 2020, 10:01 pm

We got smashed as well mate. I’ve NEVER seen flies so bad and I’ve done a LOT of outback travel.
Even at night they were unbelievable.
Apparently the mozzies aren’t as bad now but the flies are still shocking.
One property owner were we go hasn’t seen them this bad in his 85 years of living.
Fly mesh/hat cover was the only solution.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 24 Mar 2020, 10:17 pm

Without giving away any secrets, what districts where you blokes in??
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 24 Mar 2020, 10:48 pm

Citronella and peppy tree leaves, don't burn for long so need one of them smoke pot things or make one out of a coffee tin
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 24 Mar 2020, 10:51 pm

Australia. I’m not being rude or smart a. , I think all Australia has flies. I’m pretty sure the first white men to visit our shores were put off by the flies I think heat and rain equals insects breeding It was moths as well. Under the porch light thousands of mozzies were hitting the hardifleplank wall cladding so much it sounded like rain on a roof You would think a mozzie does not have enough weight to make a sound hitting a wall but it did because there were so many. Northern nsw
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 24 Mar 2020, 10:56 pm

I’m going to buy a big double mozzie net. Me and the dog trying to fit under one meant parts of our bodies were up against the netting. When you are engaged in a serious ruthless battle with mozzies or flies its nice to be on the the inside of the net and sneering F YOU ALL as u watch them from behind the safety of the net
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 24 Mar 2020, 11:12 pm

Had them so thick one trip to the Philippines that we had to get into the net cover up our face spray the sods that got in with us then try and spread out to relax in the 80% humidity whilst doused in deet repellant and having pre treated the net with permethrin
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Mar 2020, 12:20 am

What is this fly you speak of ?? Lol.
Lived in Brisbane for 10 years, yeah, I get it - but Tassie? Sweet f all flies or mozzies in comparison...no roaches, no termites...BUT - no wild pigs, no wild dogs, no foxes and not a lot of wild cats...:-)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Flyer » 25 Mar 2020, 1:42 am

Blr243 wrote:Australia. I’m not being rude or smart a. , I think all Australia has flies. I’m pretty sure the first white men to visit our shores were put off by the flies I think heat and rain equals insects breeding It was moths as well. Under the porch light thousands of mozzies were hitting the hardifleplank wall cladding so much it sounded like rain on a roof You would think a mozzie does not have enough weight to make a sound hitting a wall but it did because there were so many. Northern nsw

Actually, flies weren't that bad in Australia until we started grazing cattle and sheep. Kangaroo and other native droppings have very little moisture in them to sustain maggots compared to cattle and sheep manure (especially cattle manure). Combine large, moist droppings with high temperatures, and flies are able to reproduce much faster than they normally do.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Ferrisweil » 25 Mar 2020, 12:51 pm

GQshayne wrote:Without giving away any secrets, what districts where you blokes in??

Main area I go is around the Moonie district, QLD, but I also have access to several properties near Nindigully. Also frequent areas near Tenterfield and also as close as Toowoomba district.
Flies are shocking in the Moonie area and I’ve found the dingoes/wild dogs have gotten really bad on the blocks we go to near Toowoomba and surrounds.
Before all that rain we had in February, the pig numbers were off the charts. They seemed to have spread out a lot since then.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Mar 2020, 7:02 pm

Tassie I have weighed up the good with the bad and if it means losing my pigs cats and foxes I think I will not be moving south Too soon. So I think I’ll be ok with the mozzies and flies and learn to share my space with them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 25 Mar 2020, 7:25 pm

Ferrisweil wrote:Main area I go is around the Moonie district, QLD, but I also have access to several properties near Nindigully. Also frequent areas near Tenterfield and also as close as Toowoomba district.
Flies are shocking in the Moonie area and I’ve found the dingoes/wild dogs have gotten really bad on the blocks we go to near Toowoomba and surrounds.
Before all that rain we had in February, the pig numbers were off the charts. They seemed to have spread out a lot since then.

Thanks, I thought it would be south east somewhere. I have a trip to Millmerran planned soon, so I have been warned I guess! :unknown:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Mar 2020, 7:27 pm

Millmerran...hmmm. I did a few trips to pitswirth one year and the flies were stealing food out of your mouth...I kid you not. Someone filmed me running up the golf course, punching myself in the head, screaming in hysterics, when a couple flies got in my ears.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 25 Mar 2020, 9:43 pm

While hunting dingoes with a rifle in pitsworth on a very small block I shot a sow as big as a horse She was running with a mob of big ones in the hilly country Super special when u shoot pigs in an area not real thick with them. .......and near millmerran there’s an area called captains mountain. Not a real high game area but I went there with my bow and in one weekend I shot my first rabbit , my first feral cat and a nice boar that weight exactly 100 kg on the scales ... a mob was climbing the hill slowly after spending all night on the low crop country and were walking along a game trail. ...I let the other small ones pass me first and then drew back my bow as the big boar in the back walked out from behind a big blackberry bush ... as soon as he walked in the clear I let him have it with a perfect shoulder shot at 5 m. Always a thrill close up when there’s no trees to climb if I need to get away quick
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Mar 2020, 4:34 am

I know the area. I used to shoot a property out at Bulli creek, a few ks on from the captains. This was a few years ago now - 16 to be precise.
We’d go to leyburn sprints for a couple days then go hunting for a couple - make a week of it.

It’s funny, when we lived in Toowoomba, I had a couple cases of Tas “special” potatoes sent up. The colder regions of the granite belt and the occupants fascination with growing stuff, let me set many a farmer a challenge - and despite all their efforts, not one could successfully grow the infamous tassie Pink Eye spud. Very weird - climates in some of those outer towns are near on identical to Tas.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Off topic - General conversation