CZ 457 accuracy problem - solved.

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

CZ 457 accuracy problem - solved.

Post by wildcard6 » 25 Mar 2020, 8:02 pm

457Actual.PNG
457Actual.PNG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 4496 times
I bought a CZ 457 Varmint last October and from the start it shot very well. I bought it as part of an equipment upgrade for long-range rimfire shooting and I started using SK ammo - both Yellow and Red - to further improve performance. At some point though, I noticed that my performance/scores were not improving, they were getting worse! Sometimes I'd fire at the 300-yard target and see no sign whatsoever of a bullet impact anywhere on the backstop. I tried various things to fix things, but nothing seemed to work. I even used the situation as an excuse to upgrade the stock to a Boyd Pro-Varmint. Nothing helped. I finally worked out that the problem was the ammo, and my not cleaning the barrel. I've always been a non-cleaner with .22's, because I spent a lifetime just using hunting ammo for shooting small game. I'd shoot, then put the rifle away, then take it out and shoot again without any problems at all. Problems appeared when I started using SK ammo, because it leaves the barrel so dirty - it's full of crud at the end of a shoot, so now I'm using an Anschutz pull-through before putting it away and it's back to shooting as it used to. I also got a Yodave spring kit to lighten the trigger beyond what's possible with the standard spring and adjusted all creep out and it's an absolutely superb trigger now! Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-18X FFP scope. I took second place at my last long-range shoot, although it's going to be a while before the next one, what with the Plague breaking out and my gun club closed!!!!
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: CZ 457 accuracy problem - solved.

Post by rossfrb » 25 Mar 2020, 8:42 pm

Never having played with long range 22lr I just shake my head at the idea of using one out to 300yards.
That'd be over 40" of drop surely - do you swap that harris bipod for a mortar bipod? :)
regards
rfrb
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: CZ 457 accuracy problem - solved.

Post by wildcard6 » 25 Mar 2020, 9:01 pm

Yes, you're right. A little over 40 MOA holdover, but with FFP scopes and 'tactical' reticles, that's no problem. The bigger challenge is aiming off for wind-drift. Basically we're simulating 800 - 1000 yard shooting with a .308 on a budget. We use 1/2 scale metallic silhouette Rams usually at 300 yards. Watching them fall is a RUSH!
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles