The combined COVID-19 topic

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

The combined COVID-19 topic

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Mar 2020, 9:35 pm

:lol:
I've gotta ask this question.

What happened to Covid strains #1 thru to #18 ?

Weren't they virulent enough to be released from the virus factory where they were made ? :unknown: :silent: :sarcasm:
Last edited by Blackened on 09 Apr 2020, 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: MODERATOR NOTE: Combined all COVID-19 topics, posts/replies will be ordered here by publish date regardless of what topic they were originally in. If things seem a little out of order, that's why.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Covid 1 - 18 ?

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Mar 2020, 2:46 am

Dunno, but I read that a couple dogs got it from their owners...I mean ffs, do these diseases have ANY morals...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 22 Mar 2020, 10:11 am

Without joking, Covid 19 name means exactly as Ziad wrote and yes, some dogs have acquired the virus which does not affect them to any real degree and which they cannot pass on to any other creature including humans. We have had no positives in our lab and nor has Idexx. There has been covid 1 through 18 by the way, but it was another member of the Corona Virus family called Influenza, not to mention Herpes which is also a Corona Virus, So far Covid 19 is proving slightly less deadly than flu, but if you want to feel nervous just remember we have a Virus here in Australia which is literally 10x more deadly than Covid 19 and have done for over 70 years but does not transmi as readily, it's called Hendra, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Mar 2020, 11:25 am

Hendra virus had its first case in 94 in Hendra Queensland, although it is more deadly at 50% death rate in humans who contract it, it is rare, it will not spread like covid 19 and there is a vaccine for horses, so really it shouldn't be a worry
l dont think its a good comparison :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by trekin » 22 Mar 2020, 12:16 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Without joking, Covid 19 name means exactly as Ziad wrote and yes, some dogs have acquired the virus which does not affect them to any real degree and which they cannot pass on to any other creature including humans. We have had no positives in our lab and nor has Idexx. There has been covid 1 through 18 by the way, but it was another member of the Corona Virus family called Influenza, not to mention Herpes which is also a Corona Virus, So far Covid 19 is proving slightly less deadly than flu, but if you want to feel nervous just remember we have a Virus here in Australia which is literally 10x more deadly than Covid 19 and have done for over 70 years but does not transmi as readily, it's called Hendra, Cheers.

Is that 'no positives' for dogs back to humans, or human positives from this outbreak? If it is the latter, which lab/labs are the positive result coming from? ORRR is just...........
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 22 Mar 2020, 1:03 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Dunno, but I read that a couple dogs got it from their owners...I mean ffs, do these diseases have ANY morals...

Haha never mind the disease's morals, what were the owners doing to pass it to their pets? Lol
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

COVID19 CONSPIRACY.

Post by Stix » 27 Mar 2020, 11:02 am

So...lots of theories passed around.

A deep seeded attempt for China to conquer the world, a badly needed ecenomic reset, or just a virus that mutated & found a host in us..?

The Governments certainly seem to have known things in advance, atleast to some degree...
And how much money is just randomly appearing to cover the cost of it...

Ive even wondered if it maybe a quiet "lets get real" get back reality check from the scientific world who dont believe in the drive to tax us on our climate...

What you rekon...???
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: COVID19 CONSPIRACY.

Post by Stix » 27 Mar 2020, 1:13 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
"Baronvonrort"]We have enough threads on this perhaps you should post in them instead of creating new ones.

A conspiracy theorist must believe in government competence which is something I don't believe in

lol chimp.gif

LMFAO

Baronvonrort.....and Oldbloke...

Firstly...
.i think you've missed a subliminal/subtle point im making...one you've likely been involved in...

Secondly...
It would be naive to think that only Governments would be the only cooperatives who would band together to snatch power, or "conspire" in some way...

Want proof of how naive that mind set is...?

Look what extremist terrorists did to the west on 9/11.
They not only "conspired", but they were so deady efficient in it they fukd is all up...
And yet...coin drop...they werent "Government"...

If anyone suggested that was going to happen before it did, they'd be labelled as complete fools & thus dismissed by folk like yourself...

Hhmmm...
Cant help but think the monkey isnt laughing at me...!!
:)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Mar 2020, 1:34 pm

Lol mate, if you look deep enough everything is a conspiracy. As far as how govts got the money...no mystery there... we and our kids will pay for this for a long while.. the spending on this pales compared to GFC.

I think i have logically debunked all your theories... you may not choose to agree with me.

If America released it to get manufacturing back and teach China a lesson, they would already have a vaccine.

If China released it, then what benefit does china get. What does China do... make things to sell to other people. If other people don't have jobs, they have no money, which means they won't buy as much. And we won't even talk about a few thousand Chinese ppl that died..or the billions they spent on building hospitals etc. They were slow off the mark, hiding their head under the sand.

If it was accidentally released or escaped, that is a very small chance... my first thought as a lay person if it was that easy to accidentally release why hasn't it happened anywhere else. Many countries have bio weapons labs, virus labs. Never heard it. If the Chinese lab was govt owned it would have been built with world class safety in place.
-----
If you read virus and epidemic experts, they all expected to see a new strain of flu virus was to come soon... and we have had bird flu, sars, mers and swine flu in the last 10-15 years...we just need a mega one... this could be it.

And who said govt have been fast...or govt and others have been slow and dithering, see what happened in Italy, or the cruise line in Sydney that's resulted in atleast 108 passengers spreading covid19 throughout our communities.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 27 Mar 2020, 6:08 pm

The oil price drop is directly caused by Russia and Saudis undercutting each other and flooding the market
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Mar 2020, 6:20 pm

Just saw a local United is selling e10 for 85.9c. Diesel is still 135. Saw a Coles express seeking diesel for 129... had to double take that one
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Mar 2020, 9:34 am

My bet is there will be a baby boom in 9 months. :twisted: :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Mar 2020, 12:19 pm

Well - internet has failed with several providers in Hobart...in this mass confusion, with health issues rampant - what a time to invade...cmon, it’s a conspiracy thread lol.
Ppl losing their minds RE internet down.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by PorkEatingCrusader » 28 Mar 2020, 12:23 pm

The virus is not the issue. It is the breakdown of the economy and the mass socitial breakdown that will follow that is scary.
PorkEatingCrusader
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by trekin » 28 Mar 2020, 12:23 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Well - internet has failed with several providers in Hobart...in this mass confusion, with health issues rampant - what a time to invade...cmon, it’s a conspiracy thread lol.
Ppl losing their minds RE internet down.

UUMM..... if the internet is down, down there how do you know people are losing their minds, in fact, how are you even posting here?? :lol: :huh: :shock:
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Mar 2020, 12:41 pm

UUMM..... if the internet is down, down there how do you know people are losing their minds, in fact, how are you even posting here?? :lol: :huh: :shock:[/quote]

Because - my kids are jumping on my fuggen head RE no YouTube, no Netflix...home nbn with dodo, but a couple mobiles in the house with 4g Telstra which is sooo slow that I can now relate the Ziad :sarcasm:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by perentie » 28 Mar 2020, 4:23 pm

perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Mar 2020, 5:23 pm

Im a bit sick of hearing about the economy. Huge emphasise on money and businesses.

What anout the people who are about to die?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Covid19 mapping

Post by bladeracer » 28 Mar 2020, 6:17 pm

Don't know if this has already been posted.
https://www.covidvisualizer.com/
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 28 Mar 2020, 6:32 pm

I agree OldBloke

Human Life > Money

Human Life > Anything if you ask me
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Covid19 mapping

Post by Blr243 » 28 Mar 2020, 6:45 pm

Handy link blade. Thanks for posting. I clicked on Mexico it said 4 people died from corona today. In Mexico 1 person is murdered every 15 minutes ,all day ,every day of the year ......when in Mexico always beware of people slobbering all over you and spraying you with 7.62x39
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by p3seven » 28 Mar 2020, 9:48 pm

Scientists say it is a zoonoses, that is it transferred from animals, they think Bats used for food. Bats are eaten all over Asia, New Guinea, Africa, and by some Aboriginal tribes in Australia.
Many viruses come via this route. From, pigs, chooks, and each has a specific biological signature that allows trace back.
The biological weapons rumour came from the American right wing.
Zoonoses that hunters should watch for in Australia are, Q fever (rats urine, goats), Tricmanosis (cats), Brucelosis (Cattle, Dogs, Buffalo). The list is on Google somewhere.
Cheers.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 28 Mar 2020, 9:59 pm

Interesting Blade...

I like how if you leave, the earth spins...

Pretty amazing the difference between Portugal & Spain...right next to each other, & when i was there 10 yrs ago you could just drive over the border as if going into the next suburb.
From that perspective, the infection & death rate is amazing...but then i guess we dont know the testing rate & facilities they have either.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 28 Mar 2020, 10:12 pm

p3seven wrote:Scientists say it is a zoonoses, that is it transferred from animals, they think Bats used for food. Bats are eaten all over Asia, New Guinea, Africa, and by some Aboriginal tribes in Australia.
Many viruses come via this route. From, pigs, chooks, and each has a specific biological signature that allows trace back.
Zoonoses that hunters should watch for in Australia are, Q fever (rats urine, goats), Tricmanosis (cats), Brucelosis (Cattle, Dogs, Buffalo). The list is on Google somewhere.
Cheers.

good point
l have read apparently the bats cannot give it to us humans but it was transferred from a bat to a stressed pangolin and mutated then was spread to humans
l dont really know but what has been said by the scientists is that nobody does really know yet, everything being said is a theory
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 28 Mar 2020, 10:24 pm

bladeracer wrote:Don't know if this has already been posted.
https://www.covidvisualizer.com/

The Chinese new year happened around the time of this outbreak. About 5 million of tourists flew out of Hubei shortly after spreading this virus around the world.

We can blame the jetsetting tourists for spreading this virus around the world
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Mar 2020, 10:31 pm

Yep... such is life now a days.

Not that you can blame the Chinese government or the people, they probably didn't know...... and i would assume it would have been people from other countries in China at that time
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 28 Mar 2020, 10:51 pm

p3seven wrote:Scientists say it is a zoonoses, that is it transferred from animals, they think Bats used for food. Bats are eaten all over Asia, New Guinea, Africa, and by some Aboriginal tribes in Australia.
Cheers.

There is a virus in Deer we should watch out for can't remember it's name I know the US was working on a field test for it.

Yes it did come from a bat virus yet the bat corona virus was unable to jump to humans because our cells have no receptors for it. Covid-19 uses the ACE2 receptor we have which allowed it to infect us, we have a lot of ACE2 receptors in our lungs which is where this virus nests in us with fatal results in many cases

I have read many things on this in the last week some scientists say this virus evolved naturally there is no evidence of genetic manipulation and others say we have had the ability to genetically modify these viruses for gain of function for nearly 20 years and posted research papers proving this. I think those who claim we can't do it aren't aware of the fact we can and has been dating back to 2000-2002.

JJ Couey is a Professor of Neurobiology he made a video on this he works here- https://neurobio.pitt.edu/people/j-j-jay-couey

He gives a nice lecture on the origins of this virus while riding his e bike home carving through traffic in this video made just over 1 month ago.He doesn't lose focus while avoiding cars lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlplnH3VYyc

He cites Dans blog in his video, Dan Sirotkin has a degree in political science from Harvard University blog is here. https://harvardtothebighouse.com/2020/01/31/logistical-and-technical-analysis-of-the-origins-of-the-wuhan-coronavirus-2019-ncov/

JJ made that video just over 1 month ago, how many of us were even thinking about this virus or would have predicted we would be going through this 1 month ago?
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Mar 2020, 12:02 am

The USA / Canada deer virus is CWD - chronic waste disease. It’s 100% fatal and there’s bulk concern over it potentially moving to elk and/or moose. From memory, I think it was Canada or an associated country - took to the air and shot 100,000 animals to try and stop it...it’s thought to be a modified mange type thing...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 29 Mar 2020, 7:57 am

Oldbloke wrote:Im a bit sick of hearing about the economy. Huge emphasise on money and businesses.

What anout the people who are about to die?

Thats what you get with an overpopulated capatilist society thats so overtly lazy & entitled, they just want what they bloody want at whatever cost..!!

Take all this price gouging & profiteering going on...

If people are ripping you off & lying to your face, they dont give a s**t about the fact you might die.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 29 Mar 2020, 9:06 am

One of the nastiest diseases we have from animal here in Australia is from birds Parrots in particular. Psittacosis and Histopasmosis I know two people personally that have caught it and nearly died. One a vet that got it from a scratch the other was cutting his lawn, under a tree where lots of Cockys roosted the dust raised from all the poop on the ground was the cause of infection.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation