NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Fulcrum » 24 Mar 2020, 3:55 pm

ckraus wrote:Applied 14th November for PPL (existing A/B license) and just went to referred to ServiceNSW.

Hopefully only a few more days till the letter turns up.

Excellent news, looks like they’re in mid November.
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Hammar » 24 Mar 2020, 4:52 pm

ckraus wrote:Applied 14th November for PPL (existing A/B license) and just went to referred to ServiceNSW.

Hopefully only a few more days till the letter turns up.

I hope this is where they are actually up to. Family applied for their Cat H 18th November and rang FAR today and were told that they were STILL processing applications from OCTOBER 2 last year. What the actual f*** are they doing. They've been telling that to some people for what, the last month or two?
Remember, even when those who move you be kings, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice.
Hammar
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 24 Mar 2020, 6:02 pm

Hammar wrote:I hope this is where they are actually up to. Family applied for their Cat H 18th November and rang FAR today and were told that they were STILL processing applications from OCTOBER 2 last year. What the actual f*** are they doing. They've been telling that to some people for what, the last month or two?

Don’t worry, by the looks of things they’re way past October. Your status should change either this week or next. They told me they were doing first week October A week ago but people who applied early November are getting the good news. Let us know how it goes anyway.
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 24 Mar 2020, 6:36 pm

Is anyone noticing their status change on weekdays or is it still only occurring early Saturday mornings??
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Mar 2020, 6:39 pm

Does anyone write to their local sitting members RE the delays or lodge a complaint with ombudsman ? You’d be amazed what they can do with a phone call - those ppl are their for you - use them...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by .22lover » 25 Mar 2020, 7:52 am

My Partners application status changed to refered to service NSW last Sat night. She applied the day after me on 12th November 2019. My application is still waiting approval, so I called the registry and they were really helpful. Basically they said that there are six different offices processing applications to try and catch up, and that anyone who has applied in November will be processed in the next couple of weeks. Although they are not being processed in order due to the different offices getting through them in different time frames due to staff levels at each office varying.
Hopefully people start hearing some good news now they have picked up the pace.
.22lover
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MrsAcko » 25 Mar 2020, 7:38 pm

sticks wrote:Beno_1986 & MrsAcko,

What reasons did you put for your A/B applications?

I applied on the 20th Feb online, I'm kinda (cautiously) hoping I get as lucky as you both have. Just wondering whether there's a pattern with some reasons being quicker to assess perhaps.

My A/B application reason was recreational hunting/vermin control-with hunting club (SSAA).
MrsAcko
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 25 Mar 2020, 11:53 pm

.22lover wrote:My Partners application status changed to refered to service NSW last Sat night. She applied the day after me on 12th November 2019. My application is still waiting approval, so I called the registry and they were really helpful. Basically they said that there are six different offices processing applications to try and catch up, and that anyone who has applied in November will be processed in the next couple of weeks. Although they are not being processed in order due to the different offices getting through them in different time frames due to staff levels at each office varying.
Hopefully people start hearing some good news now they have picked up the pace.

This is great news (well, for me at least - my application was November 8-) )
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 26 Mar 2020, 6:52 am

For those of us who have listed target practice as their genuine reason ssaa have just closed all their owned ranges.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 27 Mar 2020, 11:08 am

Even if I got my licence now.... I wouldn’t have anywhere to shoot it.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 27 Mar 2020, 1:54 pm

On the bright side, it doesn't matter how long FAR take to process applications now and they should have a large reduction in calls checking progress which will help speed things up.

There might be an increase in new license applications though, a lot of people seem to have been calling gun stores and asking how they get one although I'm not sure their 'genuine reason' will be all that genuine.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ScottyD » 27 Mar 2020, 5:38 pm

Woohooo! Applied 12th November, just got the notification to go do the Service NSW photo thing (which I did this morning)

Now we just need this current global health crisis to piss off so my wife can go back to work and then I might still be able to afford to get some guns.
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 27 Mar 2020, 6:57 pm

ScottyD wrote:Woohooo! Applied 12th November, just got the notification to go do the Service NSW photo thing (which I did this morning)

Now we just need this current global health crisis to piss off so my wife can go back to work and then I might still be able to afford to get some guns.

Great news Congrats! Does that mean the online registry is changing on days other than Saturdays???

At least we know they are progressing into November.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 27 Mar 2020, 7:57 pm

themarksman wrote:
Great news Congrats! Does that mean the online registry is changing on days other than Saturdays???

At least we know they are progressing into November.

My pta status got updated to issued yesterday. Maybe with the increased focus they are able to update the website more frequently.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by omnil » 28 Mar 2020, 5:54 am

19/11/19-28/3/20 H
omnil
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Beno_1986 » 28 Mar 2020, 12:27 pm

No idea guys, I just not long got back from services for the photo Id, had to renew my truck licence anyway, guy asked me if i wanted to just use the photo on file, said yea no worries and walked out, they gave me the paper issue for my truck licence but nothing for the firearms one, is that standard?
Beno_1986
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by PorkEatingCrusader » 28 Mar 2020, 12:57 pm

Do you guys in NSW have to get the police to take your photo? In QLD we send a photo in with the application than go to the station and do an ID check to prove the photo was the applicant.
PorkEatingCrusader
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by themarksman » 28 Mar 2020, 1:33 pm

Beno_1986 wrote:No idea guys, I just not long got back from services for the photo Id, had to renew my truck licence anyway, guy asked me if i wanted to just use the photo on file, said yea no worries and walked out, they gave me the paper issue for my truck licence but nothing for the firearms one, is that standard?

Yeah they will send you your firearms licence in the mail.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 28 Mar 2020, 1:34 pm

Beno_1986 wrote:No idea guys, I just not long got back from services for the photo Id, had to renew my truck licence anyway, guy asked me if i wanted to just use the photo on file, said yea no worries and walked out, they gave me the paper issue for my truck licence but nothing for the firearms one, is that standard?

Yea, they no longer give out paper licences at service NSW. You have to wait for the plastic card to come in.

PorkEatingCrusader wrote:Do you guys in NSW have to get the police to take your photo? In QLD we send a photo in with the application than go to the station and do an ID check to prove the photo was the applicant.

Here in NSW we don’t go to the police to take our photos. We go into a Service NSW branch and take our photos there. After that, they send out our licences in the mail. They do all licencing there (drivers licence, boat licence, security licence etc)
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by PorkEatingCrusader » 28 Mar 2020, 1:52 pm

Ok thanks. So that sounds like QLD main roads. Its interesting how the states do things so differently.
PorkEatingCrusader
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Beno_1986 » 28 Mar 2020, 3:18 pm

Cheers legends
Beno_1986
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 28 Mar 2020, 11:34 pm

Omg is the average time realy 4 months my mate and I applied online on the 2/03/2020 and I was sort of expecting to be referred to service nsw on Monday you have just shattered my dreams looks like July at the earliest for me that sucks big time.
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 29 Mar 2020, 10:45 am

Cmr83 wrote:Omg is the average time realy 4 months my mate and I applied online on the 2/03/2020 and I was sort of expecting to be referred to service nsw on Monday you have just shattered my dreams looks like July at the earliest for me that sucks big time.
did you apply for target shooting or hunting?. Gun ranges are closed anyway pta's moving forward may also be scrutinized for target shooters(personal opinion)
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 29 Mar 2020, 12:27 pm

Cmr83 wrote:Omg is the average time realy 4 months my mate and I applied online on the 2/03/2020 and I was sort of expecting to be referred to service nsw on Monday you have just shattered my dreams looks like July at the earliest for me that sucks big time.

Yea get used to the wait times. They seem to have picked up the pace a bit as people are are getting responses after 4 months. Before, the wait was around 4.5 - 5 months. You never know, maybe they’ll catch up quickly and you won’t have to wait as long. I’m waiting for themarksman to get the good news coz I’m only about 2 weeks behind him :lol:
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 29 Mar 2020, 6:35 pm

Fulcrum wrote:
Yea get used to the wait times. They seem to have picked up the pace a bit as people are are getting responses after 4 months. Before, the wait was around 4.5 - 5 months. You never know, maybe they’ll catch up quickly and you won’t have to wait as long. I’m waiting for themarksman to get the good news coz I’m only about 2 weeks behind him :lol:

haha! Its funny how you get excited when someone gets the "referred to Services NSW" news :friends:

It does seem to be getting a bit quicker but I still know of people waiting from August/Sept which is a worry :o :o
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fulcrum » 29 Mar 2020, 8:32 pm

themarksman wrote:haha! Its funny how you get excited when someone gets the "referred to Services NSW" news :friends:

It does seem to be getting a bit quicker but I still know of people waiting from August/Sept which is a worry :o :o

Maybe there’s an underlying issue with their licence application e.g ongoing court battle or an error made by the FAR during processing. But yea, it’s always good to know when someone gets through the hard part (Licence processing time) :clap:
Fulcrum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by targetshooter900 » 29 Mar 2020, 9:58 pm

It’s longer than that mate, i teach new shooters at my local and it’s around 5-6 months. Previous posts in this thread confirm that too unfortunately. It’s a shame.
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 30 Mar 2020, 1:08 am

.[/quote] did you apply for target shooting or hunting?. Gun ranges are closed anyway pta's moving forward may also be scrutinized for target shooters(personal opinion)[/quote]

I have permission to shoot attached to my application for pest control I have a few mates in walcha that will give me access to their farms
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 30 Mar 2020, 1:19 am

[/quote] did you apply for target shooting or hunting?. Gun ranges are closed anyway pta's moving forward may also be scrutinized for target shooters(personal opinion)[/quote]

Yeh I have permission to shoot and ssaa membership but nsw police said in the covid 19 far info page that people might not be able to meet their club commitments and that they would help resolve it but I am a new applicant and the minimum license is 2 years I doubt they are shutting the clubs that long so after my license is approved I will have 2 years to meet my club commitments for the license. But realy I just want the license so I can have a crack with my mates new 30-30 lever action. I know my license is way off not to mention my PTA’s thank god my mate has a collection already.
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 30 Mar 2020, 1:27 am

The save munching arround when my license is approved can I lodge 4 ptas at the same time in the cats and sub cats I want
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws