Metal floorplate for Howa Mini?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Metal floorplate for Howa Mini?

Post by Wapiti » 03 Dec 2019, 7:43 am

Hi everyone
Just enquiring, has anyone here know of, or used, a replacement floorplate/triggerguard for the Howa Mini?

The plastic one is OK, much better with a shortened magazine catch. I have a 20" light version and a 20" varmint version as well, when glass bedded into a Boyds stock or in a LSS chassis they are absolutely amazing consistency wise for the farm but the plastic triggerguard detracts from the overall feel.

I searched the net but they all seem to be in the USA, if anyone knows of an Aussie supplier or hopefully, maker, could you please let me know?
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Metal floorplate for Howa Mini?

Post by Bill » 03 Dec 2019, 11:12 am

Doesn't exist and unfortunately Howa don't seem that motivated to offer one
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wapiti » 03 Dec 2019, 12:17 pm

Yes, a floorplate would need an internal magazine box, follower as well as the floorplate.
I've seen Mini triggerguards machined from aluminium to replace the original plastic ones, but all in the USA. I'd rather purchase from someone in Australia, if anyone knows of a business that imports them.

Shame that Lucky 13 hasn't done this yet, actually. The 10 shot magazines are great on the farm if there are a few problems happening.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by wannabustbunnies » 03 Dec 2019, 5:18 pm

Delta Tactical sell the DIP Inc aluminium bottom metal but they are around $220 now.
You use the spring and mag release from the original but it is a different angle so adds more tension. They also make a revised magazine catch but not sure if Delta imports them as well but might be worth asking.
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wapiti » 04 Dec 2019, 9:50 am

Thanks for that info, will look them up today.

Edit... not listed on their site at all anymore.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bill » 04 Dec 2019, 12:19 pm

These guys do one, if your keen on 1 Id probably grab 1 as well, would be around $150 landed

https://www.jeffersonoutdoor.com/shop

Ive sent them an email re pricing for 2 just now. :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 04 Dec 2019, 4:55 pm

I wish they did do a floorplate mod (instead of that poxy box mag) if they had I would have bought a couple years ago
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wannabustbunnies » 06 Dec 2019, 4:24 pm

Wapiti wrote:Thanks for that info, will look them up today.

Edit... not listed on their site at all anymore.

They are there if you do a search for Howa. Not in stock at the moment though and still $220.

Bills find is a good one though, especially if they will send a couple as they list postage to Aus as $39USD.

I am happy with my DIP one, just sucks spending another 1/3 of what the rifle cost on it.
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wapiti » 11 Dec 2019, 11:17 am

I'll keep on it.
Who knows, maybe Lucky 13 one day.
The internet gives up that perhaps a few firms in the US are playing around with new bottom metal designs that take the AR15 mags.
This would be great, because a 10 shot metal AR mag would be the icing on the cake.
But I understand, not everyone cares about this idea.

To me, the stainless Howa mini is a world class little action/barrel set up for hard farm use, as capable as my Sako 223 varmint, without the perfect beautiful mag setup of the Sako. Only let down, again, to me, by a really cheapie standard stock and triggerguard/mag set up. Nothing surprising about that, because they are made for a particular market segment.

I'm not bothered by what $$$ percentage of the firearm is when looking at accessories. The scopes on ours cost more than the rifles, which isn't unusual. If I thought that way, I'd have Nikko scopes on them too, "not the there's anything wrong with that".

Appreciate the discussion.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by 7600 » 11 Dec 2019, 7:01 pm

I have the DIP bottom metal on mine & is well worth it!
Got it from Delta tactical..had to wait for it to come in.
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by ozzielee303 » 24 Apr 2020, 12:15 pm

Hi
I know this is an old thread,but the bottom metals are available https://www.deltatactical.com.au/buy-db ... 0010-p1033
$245 though
I'm thinking on getting one.
Cheers
ozzielee303
"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 25 Apr 2020, 9:09 pm

Probably defeats the purpose spending $200 on a bottom metal for the Mini when they retail complete for around $800.......

I personally have no problem with the polymer DBM and mag well / trigger guard - if it breaks i am sure OSA would be able to supply a replacement unit cheaper than $200.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by ozzielee303 » 26 Apr 2020, 1:36 pm

solarpak wrote:Probably defeats the purpose spending $200 on a bottom metal for the Mini when they retail complete for around $800.......

I personally have no problem with the polymer DBM and mag well / trigger guard - if it breaks i am sure OSA would be able to supply a replacement unit cheaper than $200.

C.

I see your point there,but they do look a nice bit of kit? ;)
Cheers
ozzielee303
"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 27 Apr 2020, 8:54 pm

I see your point there,but they do look a nice bit of kit? ;)[/quote]

I agree with ya Ozzielee.........if my polymer unit on my mini ever breaks i may look at one .....
Been thinking of a Mini Action in 223 ....but i dont have the need for the 223 at the minute ...

C
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by adamjp » 18 May 2020, 5:29 pm

adamjp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ozzielee303 » 20 Jun 2020, 10:14 am

Hi
Just thought I would let you all know,that Delta Tactical will be getting more DIP metal Howa Mini Action Trigger Guard DBM in,in about 8-12 weeks,as I enquired if they where going to get anymore,I might get one.!!

Cheers
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing