PTA wait time in QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Rwd22 » 30 Apr 2020, 8:58 am

Just for a recent PTA timeline update, applied for Cat B on 16/4, received approval email this morning, 30/4.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Apr 2020, 9:51 am

AussieCapitalist wrote:[

I see you have a 300win mag. What made you pick that over the 338 or 50cal mate?

I went with a 300 over a 338 for a number of reasons.
I have private land so that wasn’t a concern - but a mate had a 300 tikka and was spruiking it so hard...so had to try and compete against him with something different...then there are the rifle options...bit limiting and the cost to reload vs the actual benefits over a 300...i really did enjoy just holding in the hand, that huge case, but...argh hell - stop it, stop it...STOP IT. Get out of my head - I don’t need one...arrrrrrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by AussieCapitalist » 30 Apr 2020, 12:49 pm

Sorry if I brought up some unresolved feelings man. :sarcasm:
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 05 May 2020, 8:18 am

Submitted a Cat A .22 Lever PTA on Sunday evening and got the courtesy approval email response from WLB just after 8am this morning (Tuesday), with yesterday being a public holiday that's probably the fastest response I've ever had from them.

Ironic I suppose that the rifle hasn't even arrived from the US yet and likely won't be here for another month so for the first time I wasn't concerned about it taking several weeks to be processed.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 06 May 2020, 7:26 pm

Email PTA arrived at the dealer this afternoon (Wednesday), so this one of the fastest PTAs I've had.
I guess WLB are getting on top of these now that they seem to have given up on processing applications
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 06 May 2020, 7:55 pm

Congrats mate. That is quick. My A/B licence was hell quick as well, only 56 days. You should go seek legal advice and get them to write a letter on your behalf to demand what the hold up is.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mrmef » 07 Jun 2020, 9:33 pm

Hi. When I applied for my PTA I don’t remember being asked to provide an email address for the dealer that I wanted to PTA sent to. Do they already have this info or just find it themselves from the dealer number or name? Or should I call/email them and provide it? I got an email saying the Approval date will be 1/6/2020 but the dealer says they haven’t received anything yet
mrmef
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 08 Jun 2020, 6:50 am

mrmef wrote:Hi. When I applied for my PTA I don’t remember being asked to provide an email address for the dealer that I wanted to PTA sent to. Do they already have this info or just find it themselves from the dealer number or name? Or should I call/email them and provide it? I got an email saying the Approval date will be 1/6/2020 but the dealer says they haven’t received anything yet

They have the information of the dealer based on the dealer number and name you provided. The 01/06/2020 is the date it gets approved but they might not release it to the dealer straight away so just got to wait it out mate. Should be any day now. Are you sure you clicked the email to dealer box? It is possible to forget so maybe it is in the snail mail to your house.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by anmars73 » 08 Jun 2020, 8:47 am

Applied for LIC and PTA - 21/02/2020
Got ID visit to local Police station email - 06/03/2020
Email Confirmation of Licence - 15/05/2020
Licence in mail - 25/05/2020

Applied for second PTA - 04/06/200
Received approval for second PTA with a 28 day wait attached on - 07/06/2020 - approval applies on - 06/07/2020.
Original PTA applied for back in Feb approval arrived in email - 08/06/2020 with no wait time attached.

Seems like they treated my second one as a first time and then processed the old one ,
anmars73
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 08 Jun 2020, 9:11 am

anmars73 wrote:Applied for LIC and PTA - 21/02/2020
Got ID visit to local Police station email - 06/03/2020
Email Confirmation of Licence - 15/05/2020
Licence in mail - 25/05/2020

Applied for second PTA - 04/06/200
Received approval for second PTA with a 28 day wait attached on - 07/06/2020 - approval applies on - 06/07/2020.
Original PTA applied for back in Feb approval arrived in email - 08/06/2020 with no wait time attached.

Seems like they treated my second one as a first time and then processed the old one ,

So you have not picked up your first firearm yet? You will always get the 28 day wait time until you have physical possession of a firearm on your licence. Sometimes you can even have possession of a firearm but have to wait the 28 days because they have not updated their books yet so according to them you still do not possess a firearm.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by anmars73 » 08 Jun 2020, 9:17 am

[/quote]

So you have not picked up your first firearm yet? You will always get the 28 day wait time until you have physical possession of a firearm on your licence. Sometimes you can even have possession of a firearm but have to wait the 28 days because they have not updated their books yet so according to them you still do not possess a firearm.[/quote]

I have been waiting for the PTA, Paid for the firearm months ago.
I applied for a second PTA , thinking the first may have been put at the bottom of the pile.
The approval for the second PTA came though after 3 days ,
But specifically stated "This email is to advise that your application for a Permit to Acquire for the below weapon will be approved on 05/07/2020. "

the First PTA which was approved this morning this morning only had this line "This email is to advise that your application for a Permit to Acquire for the below weapon has been approved and will be forwarded to you after quality assurance checks have been undertaken."
anmars73
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 08 Jun 2020, 10:02 am

anmars73 wrote:I have been waiting for the PTA, Paid for the firearm months ago.
I applied for a second PTA , thinking the first may have been put at the bottom of the pile.
The approval for the second PTA came though after 3 days ,
But specifically stated "This email is to advise that your application for a Permit to Acquire for the below weapon will be approved on 05/07/2020. "

the First PTA which was approved this morning this morning only had this line "This email is to advise that your application for a Permit to Acquire for the below weapon has been approved and will be forwarded to you after quality assurance checks have been undertaken."

Because you applied for your first PTA back in feb you have already done the 28 day wait time for that PTA. Until you take possession of your first firearm(IE pick it up from the store) and weapons licencing update their books that you have taken possession you will always have to wait the 28 days for subsequent PTA.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by anmars73 » 08 Jun 2020, 2:00 pm

[/quote]

Because you applied for your first PTA back in feb you have already done the 28 day wait time for that PTA. Until you take possession of your first firearm(IE pick it up from the store) and weapons licencing update their books that you have taken possession you will always have to wait the 28 days for subsequent PTA.[/quote]

Ahh , Fair enough.

Well I want another .223 anyway , for reasons.
anmars73
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jay76 » 09 Jun 2020, 11:28 am

My last one I applied for was done on the 30/5 and got approval email 8/6. Can not complain.
Remington 7615 223
Lithgow 308
Lithgow 6.5 creedmoor
Tikka 6.5 creedmoor
Adler B230
Winchester 94
smith &wesson M&P 9 M2.0
jay76
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bronco93 » 24 Jun 2020, 10:53 am

Cat a pta in sunday night (21/06) Approved wednesday morning (24/6). Hopefully dealer gets the pta emailed to them this week so I can pick up my new BL-22.
Dozen 22lr .22WMR .22WRF .22hornet .223 .310 .303 .243 .30-30 20g 12g .410 32-20 .357 and a couple .58 muzzle loaders
bronco93
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 24 Jun 2020, 8:10 pm

PTA processing is fast at the moment, unfortunately at the expense of license processing.

BL-22 is a cracking little rifle, it's not heavy but it somehow feels heavy for it's size and is superbly built, without doubt my favorite plinking rifle (so far), actually, every rifle I buy seems to become my favorite until the next one.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Robin » 11 Aug 2020, 10:26 am

Finally have my PTA approved after 2 months, im not going to blame QLD weapons as like most business, they are under the pump due to this virus, what i will say is when i called them, the nice lady processed it on the spot, and that's great service, especially for a government organisation.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rapid » 11 Aug 2020, 10:54 am

Robin wrote:Finally have my PTA approved after 2 months, im not going to blame QLD weapons as like most business, they are under the pump due to this virus, what i will say is when i called them, the nice lady processed it on the spot, and that's great service, especially for a government organisation.

That's a long and frustrating wait... I believe they are moving a lot faster now, I put in 2 PTA's on the 10th of July and had both approved on the 24th.
It looks like anything that was submitted during the peak of the shutdown was effected more than those submitted once things started to relax.
And agree with you about their service, always been helpful.
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Aug 2020, 5:39 pm

Agreed, when I used to be able to ring them they were mostly nice and helpful. My most recent pta applied online 27/7. And I got the approval email today ( 15 days later )
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Aug 2020, 3:53 pm

And got a call from my local this arv to say pta arrived so 17 days total
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rapid » 13 Aug 2020, 4:32 pm

Blr243 wrote:And got a call from my local this arv to say pta arrived so 17 days total

Now that's better :)
It'll be like the good old day's before we know it - prior to the China Virus, I was getting them within 7 days.
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 02 Sep 2020, 6:47 pm

Applied Cat B PTA 10 August.
Received approval 28 August.
PTA Emailed 02 September.

That's the slowest PTA i've ever received
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Robin » 05 Sep 2020, 6:58 pm

I applied for Cat b last night and got a email today saying my PTA has been approved , that's around 13 hours and its Saturday, now that's what I call quick.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Sep 2020, 7:08 pm

Maybe in the future on the forms there will be a section that says........tick this box if you agree to dropping Off a cold carton In exchange For a 48 hour approval
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 06 Sep 2020, 12:04 pm

Mrs put in a Cat B PTA for her new lever gun yesterday morning, see how long that takes to turn around.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 10 Sep 2020, 8:14 pm

Second cat h PTA was approved in 2.5 weeks yesterday
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Sep 2020, 8:52 pm

Online application 2 nd of September and email of approval on the 18th sept
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 19 Sep 2020, 3:55 pm

Rwd22 wrote:Mrs put in a Cat B PTA for her new lever gun yesterday morning, see how long that takes to turn around.

Still waiting on this one, hopefully early next week. Put in a PTA last saturday for a 12G break action. Average time seems to be 2-2.5 weeks at current :crazy:
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by snag » 19 Sep 2020, 6:11 pm

I put in an application for a cat B PTA on the 3rd Sept, got the approval email on the 18th.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Sep 2020, 4:47 pm

Pta applied For cat b sept 2. Arrived in my mailbox sept 25 .....I nominated it be emailed to my dealer but it still arrived in my mailbox. Not sure what that’s all about.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws