Should there be a BOUNTY on feral cats ?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Should there be a BOUNTY on feral cats ?

Post by DaveZ » 20 May 2020, 4:20 pm

I see your point Ziege, I really do, but what animals that we keep are truly allowed the freedoms they would have in the wild? A dog in any yard is restricted. The cattle/sheep/pigs/chickens that we eat are restricted, many even more-so than my poor cats. Any household pet is restricted. Don't you have pets? If you do, they are restricted. I respect your point of view, mine was similar for a long time, but I've come to realize that simply banning something,no matter how superfluous, just because some people do the wrong thing, only results in people being punished when they don't deserve to be, and soon enough we will end up with no freedoms at all.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by DaveZ » 20 May 2020, 4:21 pm

Ziege wrote:No lol, I would rather the cat didn't exist in Australia. How the hell you got that other assumption together I will never know.

That response was not directed at you :thumbsup:
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 20 May 2020, 4:28 pm

No don't have pets, and the rest depends on your ethos, I don't believe in protecting crops or making sure crops are protected from invasive pests, in that crops are just consumables, I think much the same for livestock, if I kill pests like foxes Im not doing it for the sheeps sake, I'm doing I for the sake of the $$ their damage represents and for the environmental protection it offers in regards to small marsupials, reptiles and amphibians etc.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by DaveZ » 20 May 2020, 4:39 pm

Ziege wrote:No don't have pets, and the rest depends on your ethos,

I agree with most of what you're saying, all except having the government legislate away all of my freedoms, there has to be a better way.

The view on how the rest of our captive animals are kept shouldn't be any different to how pet animals are kept. A restricted animal is a restricted animal, some people just put blinkers on when it comes to their food because they just don't want to know. There are plenty of people who will get up in arms at the sight of a dog on a chain yet happily chow down on a factory farmed pork chop and not bat an eyelid. Double standards? Of course it is, but we have to realize that nothing we do in this world is perfect, but we can try to make it better.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AJB » 20 May 2020, 5:05 pm

Ive killed heaps of cats and yes i have one as a pet it has never killed a thing stays inside allways . It s**ts itself when ya take it out side runs straight back inside there not a problem with a responsable owner and i dont think twice about nailing any cat thats out prowling its as simple as that
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 20 May 2020, 6:51 pm

DaveZ wrote: you can educate a child about what proper behavior is, not really a thing cats are into.

As you said,,,,,,,,, I think you just hit the nail fair and square on its head.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 20 May 2020, 7:40 pm

This debate could go on forever because it is a personal thing how we keep our pets ''But'' the responsibility of that falls right back onto the owner like it's no different to caging a bird as keeping a cat locked in your own house or yard ,Why do you cage a bird ? well it's probably because it will wander away no different to a cat and if the neighbours cat eats you bird you blame the neighbour for letting the cat wonder, now if the neighbour had their cat tied up and your bird went over and the cat ate it your neighbour would say it was your fault for letting your bird out, you see it's up to the owner to keep their pets from roaming so as not to cause harm to other animal's and destruction to the natural fauna, this thing of ''It's cruel to lock up animals'' is easy to fix '' don't have one '' if you don't like it, There are plenty of responsible people that own pets, you don't hear them whining about locking them up at night or keeping them confined after all what proper animal owner would want their animal harmed or lost . Most animals adapt to enclosures just like people they adapt to their surroundings the only thing you can't take out of them is the instincts and with cats it's ''killing'' even for no reason same with a lot of animals , So if you want a pet ''YOU'' look after it ,if you don't then expect some one to collect the bounty for it . Now don't get me wrong this is aimed at the ''Drong-go's who don't look after their pets not the good kind animal lovers that do love their pets enough to look after them and a shout out to those animal owners. ''you want a gun '' then you get a licence and keep the gun locked up. ''You want a pet'' you get a licence and you keep it locked up, I hear the Drong-go's say a gun kills people ,well so do dogs , ''then cats don't kill people'' ''OH'' but what about all the little animals they kill don't they have a say or are you Drong-gos forgetting the feelings of people who live to watch nature and it's little animals seeing uncontrolled ferals killing them, farmers leaving their farms ruined by ferals , family birds killed by roaming cats, some people need a large dose of reality ,get their head out of their proverbial and look at the damage being done by domestic animals mating with wild animals or going wild themselves , if you don't know about this then look it up and see the damage being done , come on people lets get some common sense and start regulating these ferals so again ''Yes'' a cat bounty
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AJB » 20 May 2020, 7:51 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :drinks: :drinks:
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 20 May 2020, 7:57 pm

Grandadbushy wrote: I hear the Drong-go's say a gun kills people ,
lets get some common sense and start regulating these ferals so again ''Yes'' a cat bounty

The "Drong-go's" are WRONG, WRONG, yet again.
I've owned firearms (guns) for a total so far of 51 years,,,,, and have watched them closely over this time frame,, and not one of them has "kills people".

People kill people,,,,, but NOT guns,,, left to their own devices they are harmless entities.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 20 May 2020, 8:01 pm

In my last post I commented on why the pet cat is a problem. It has nothing to do with responsible cat owners at all. The problem is that scientists are talking about the solution to the feral cat problem being biological control. Now we are a select group of people on here, many of us have hunted cats, and we know how hard it can be. They are an apex predator, with incredible senses, they remain solitary except for breeding, and hunt for fun. Hard to trap or poison with a bait effectively (to obtain proper reduction in numbers anyway), so the answer does seem to be biological.

And that will affect domestic cats. But we are the only continent that does not have a native small cat, so we have to do something. And soon.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 20 May 2020, 8:07 pm

Exactly DJ but i'm not sure the Drong-gos would understand that, I to have a camera on my gun safe and have never seen any of my rifles go walkabout to do harm to people or animals but I've seen plenty of cats, dogs and pigs doing the walkabout thing harming most things in their area, and to be honest I would crap myself if I saw one of my rifles climbing out to go for a walk let alone to harm anybody. :thumbsup: :lol:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 20 May 2020, 8:08 pm

GQshayne wrote:In my last post I commented on why the pet cat is a problem. It has nothing to do with responsible cat owners at all. The problem is that scientists are talking about the solution to the feral cat problem being biological control. Now we are a select group of people on here, many of us have hunted cats, and we know how hard it can be. They are an apex predator, with incredible senses, they remain solitary except for breeding, and hunt for fun. Hard to trap or poison with a bait effectively (to obtain proper reduction in numbers anyway), so the answer does seem to be biological.

And that will affect domestic cats. But we are the only continent that does not have a native small cat, so we have to do something. And soon.

The same issue raised its head when the calici virus was released.
But,,,, owners of pet rabbits were able to get them inocculated/vaccinated against the calici I believe.
Surely this could also apply to "responsible" cat owners if they exist.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 20 May 2020, 8:21 pm

GQshayne good point mate but that alone may have problems of it's own like depending on what they use and what type , we have to be careful what we release into the bush it could escape and have adverse effects on other species ''not saying it would , but could'' I think that that combined with bounties would be the way to go, this would send a message to cat owners ''free of charge'' and tighten the grip the cats have '' all ferals'' on our fauna it's a major problem, them and fox nearly wiped out a lot of species around Australia and as you said the scientists might be onto something , here's hoping
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 20 May 2020, 8:26 pm

So, we need something that’s more apex than the feral cat...I got it. Polar bears! They are doing it tough up north - send em down south for a while and feed em cats early on in their holiday and screw it / bring their cuz Grizz down for the hotter more northern places.
No more cats and something proper to hunt in a few years - win, win and...ergh
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 20 May 2020, 8:27 pm

GDB. when u mention the strong instinct of a pet cats desire to kill it reminded me of an incident a few months ago on a hunt. I had noticed a feral cat hanging round my quarters and to avoid any stuff up I asked the owner about it to ensure it wasn’t his before I shot it ... he said it’s feral but don’t shoot it because he had been feeding it and it was sort of a pet that came around occasionally....I started to feed it too but it was very wary of me and kept it’s distance Occasionally it would eat sardine pieces out of my hand but once after it took the sardine it quicklychomped on the end of my finger very aggressively... I don’t think it made a mistake. It was feral , wild, primitive and aggressive and it needs to be to survive ..... there was a part of this cats thinking that was don’t fight a fully grown man....but another wild killer part of it just couldn’t help itself at having a chew on me ....and that is the true natural killer instinct of a cat ........ any others I see on my favourite hunting location I will be adding them to my 243 photo album
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 20 May 2020, 9:23 pm

Yep Blr keep that album going mate and yes ''instinct'' the only thing that can conquer ''fear''. Your story reminds me of us having a cat or I should say we had our daughters cat, it was a desexed and chipped female but still it killed consistently we had bells around her neck but she still killed anything I wanted to enter her into my 22-250 album but was out voted but low and behold 2 nights ago a wild dog snuck in and took her off the veranda and killed her , it was running away with her in its mouth to eat her but was disturbed and dropped her, some may think it was cruel I call it karma.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ricochet » 20 May 2020, 10:39 pm

I'm still waiting for a feral moggie to cross my path while out shooting. A while ago I saw a big fluffy ginger around the corner from the house but I wasn't armed and it bailed pretty swiftly.

A cat outdoors = Furry weapon of mass extinction.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 20 May 2020, 10:45 pm

Every cat I see we here dies on the spot, being on the farm me and the old boy rarely leave the house without a bang stick of some sort.

Poor fox last time, had the 22 and subsonics and he popped up about 65 yards away and before I get a clear shot with him sitting (licking his balls) he was easily 85 yards away, anyway, tagged him with first one, then 7 shots later he stopped limping away from me. I think only due to the sheer weight of the lead hahaha... But yeah always have a firearm on hand, the dividing reserves around the whole property with the neighbours connect directly with creeks that run through town, so all the local cats and ferals and other crap siphon out.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by GQshayne » 21 May 2020, 7:59 pm

TassieTiger wrote:So, we need something that’s more apex than the feral cat...I got it. Polar bears! They are doing it tough up north - send em down south for a while and feed em cats early on in their holiday and screw it / bring their cuz Grizz down for the hotter more northern places.
No more cats and something proper to hunt in a few years - win, win and...ergh

They could catch brumbies too!!! :crazy:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 21 May 2020, 8:02 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
The same issue raised its head when the calici virus was released.
But,,,, owners of pet rabbits were able to get them inocculated/vaccinated against the calici I believe.
Surely this could also apply to "responsible" cat owners if they exist.

Maybe so.

It would still seem odd though. Most feral species that are a problem, think dingoes, foxes, tilapia & redfin etc, are illegal to keep as pets. So we would be spending millions of bucks trying to control feral cats, while other people are breeding more of them!
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 21 May 2020, 8:20 pm

Agree Shayne, let people keep their existing pet, but no more cats, make it illegal to breed them not own them, problem would soon dwindle down and leave mostly ferals in the midst. Then release the cat calici and be done with it. In the meantime I will keep visiting the outskirts of the property and shooting the neighbours moggies as they come to snoop around the reserve.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 21 May 2020, 9:10 pm

5000 wild horses about to be drinking lead on Monday...
https://www.2gb.com/podcast/mass-shooti ... or-monday/
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 21 May 2020, 10:36 pm

TassieTiger wrote:5000 wild horses about to be drinking lead on Monday...
https://www.2gb.com/podcast/mass-shooti ... or-monday/

I think probably a good thing.

Yeh, I saw a post on face ache. Obviously frustrated environ guy from NPs. He quoted a greenie who was saying basically that they shouldn't shoot brumbies in NPs as they are rare and might become extinct. Lol Better to fence them out. FMD.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 21 May 2020, 10:40 pm

A little bit of misinformation there or should I say not telling the whole story , horses like stallions will breed with their own kin ie mother son , son sister , father daughter which means there would most certainly be inbreeding in these brumbies so keeping this so called ''oldest Australian blood line'' is a little bit out there , as far as carcasses laying around ,well these people probably haven't seen the bodies of horses that have starved up there laying around , these horses when starving will turn to eating their own kind ,something most people don't know and there would be huge suffering to these horses during this period , As I said in my post earlier you shoot half the mob and you are back there in a few years to do the same at the cost of tax payers because they'll breed up again . So if they cull 5,000 horses and leave 3,000 mares you will end up with the 5,000 again in 2yrs - 3yrs at most depending breeding ratio, real good economics hey, sounds like a treasurers report, if these clowns would stop playing on peoples heart strings and say it as it is there would be no problems make it practical and humane beats dying from cold and starvation from drought and overbreeding
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 23 May 2020, 7:14 am

G'day,

I found this 2011 discussion paper about management of cats, domestic and feral. It details all the issues that bureaucrats and politicians consider when making policy, but really doesn't come to a definitive conclusion - much like the brumby issue - that cats need to be inside - or dead:

https://kb.rspca.org.au/wp-content/uplo ... r-Release-–-RSPCA-Research-Report-March-2011.pdf

What comes out of this is the multiple definitions stated as to what constitutes a feral cat at one end of the continuum to a controlled domestic cat at the other.

No wonder the local ranger could not give me a clear statement about what to do with cats entering and roaming my property. It appears the only clear legal definition applying to cats in Victoria pertains to those in state forests which have been declared as pests, but may only be shot by people in the employ of the government. Otherwise it's anybody's guess as to what constitutes a feral cat in other areas and who may shoot the nasty beasties.
Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 May 2020, 10:49 am

It’s probably not optimistic of me but feral cats are here to stay ...introduction of biological control will be difficult if not impossible because city cat owners will freak out ... poisoning has issues with non target native animals , shooting is only as effective as the cats that are seen within range by somebody with a rifle and is useless against unseen cats when we are walking or spotlighting in half metre off grass or bushes ......if ever our wildlife is eventually seen to be more precious than the experience of loving a cat as a household pet, then perhaps a law could be introduced that ownership of cats could be outlawed in 2040 .....this will allow current city cats to live out their lives ,and cat owners will cease to have a political voice in relation to a biological feral cat control method harming city cats , and a biological control method , if not transferable to anything else , then could be implemented . It’s a long shot , and I have not thought this thru properly, and might be sat morning half asleep rubbish from me but it’s all I can think of at the moment because I see no other feasible solution , And feral cats are winning the battle against our natives
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 May 2020, 10:55 am

And I think we need THE FERAL CAT PAGES. On the hunting part of this forum ....every cat shot prior to living and breeding for 5 years saves perhaps 10 thousand natives
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by trekin » 23 May 2020, 12:15 pm

Blr243 wrote:It’s probably not optimistic of me but feral cats are here to stay ...introduction of biological control will be difficult if not impossible because city cat owners will freak out ... poisoning has issues with non target native animals , shooting is only as effective as the cats that are seen within range by somebody with a rifle and is useless against unseen cats when we are walking or spotlighting in half metre off grass or bushes ......if ever our wildlife is eventually seen to be more precious than the experience of loving a cat as a household pet, then perhaps a law could be introduced that ownership of cats could be outlawed in 2040 .....this will allow current city cats to live out their lives ,and cat owners will cease to have a political voice in relation to a biological feral cat control method harming city cats , and a biological control method , if not transferable to anything else , then could be implemented . It’s a long shot , and I have not thought this thru properly, and might be sat morning half asleep rubbish from me but it’s all I can think of at the moment because I see no other feasible solution , And feral cats are winning the battle against our natives

For us toadies, at least, the QLD Gov't see all of those controls as useful when used as part of a feral management strategy, https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industr ... /feral-cat, and to show that they mean it, they have divested themselves of the responsibility and legislated that it is the responsibility of local gov't.
Petitioning the QLD Gov't is no good, people up here need to lobby their council for a bounty system. More than happy to pass on how I appoached our council with a proposal for a bounty system.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 May 2020, 12:43 pm

I just checked the link by trekin ..it says it’s illegal to feed a feral cat , makes a lot of sense ...I have always thought that people feeding dingoes on Fraser were stupid and irresponsible...... but I realise now I have been guilty of the same when I once fed a feral cat that I was told not to shoot ..... it was just an act of kindness that is a common trait amongst humans when we see an animal hungry or trapped and we want to help it. But from now on I will put that part of me aside if I see that cat again .......hang on a minute .....a tin of sardines means that cat did not have to kill a few lizards ..that day .....now I’m confused
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by trekin » 23 May 2020, 12:48 pm

Blr243 wrote:I just checked the link by trekin ..it says it’s illegal to feed a feral cat , makes a lot of sense ...I have always thought that people feeding dingoes on Fraser were stupid and irresponsible...... but I realise now I have been guilty of the same when I once fed a feral cat that I was told not to shoot ..... it was just an act of kindness that is a common trait amongst humans when we see an animal hungry or trapped and we want to help it. But from now on I will put that part of me aside if I see that cat again .......hang on a minute .....a tin of sardines means that cat did not have to kill a few lizards ..that day .....now I’m confused

Put your mind at ease mate, feral cats do not kill just for food. Plenty of natives would have been killed by that feral afterwards just because it could.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control