Hunting with a pump

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Hunting with a pump

Post by Blr243 » 21 May 2020, 9:02 pm

I’m seriously considering a rem 7600 308 pump rifle with a ten round mag. I have checked and this particular version is legal to use in nsw. I have never owned a pump rifle only shotguns in the old days. Keen to hear anything pro or con ....only thing slightly bad is I normally attach a bipod to my forend ......... I have done some rough trajectory calc s and it looks like with 125 sst sighted dead on at 200 it’s only 1.5 high at 100 and roughly 2 or 3 low at 250 m. That would suit me just fine
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Hunting with a pump

Post by 8x57 » 21 May 2020, 9:41 pm

Got one, hunted with it for years great all rounder, it’s takes the knocks and is great for those follow up shots. Low powered fixed scopes worked well with mine. Plus there is a s**t load of trinkets you can get for them if that’s your thing. They’re light enough to not need a bipod however if that what you want, there is front grip picatinny rail attachment you can buy.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 May 2020, 10:48 pm

Nothing wrong with pumps if that's your thing. Not sure how they go in the accuracy stakes.
Better than a lever, not as good as a BA.?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 21 May 2020, 10:53 pm

I’ve seen them stack three. Open up a bit after that.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 21 May 2020, 11:12 pm

i have had them in 06 worked great it is a gun thats used alot in the eastern states and is a good seller for rem.
they have been around for a long time so all the bugs are worked out.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by targetshooter900 » 21 May 2020, 11:22 pm

Great guns, well made and will withstand any hunting abuse you can throw at them. Great for quick follow up shots for multiple game (pigs especially). As others have said, plenty of trinkets available such as pump foregrips, bipods, pistol grips, pic rails. They go great with a red dot for pigs, but also good with traditional scopes and the like.
They have been around for ages and are very popular. They also make it in .223 (Remington 7615), or the 7600 (.308) as you said.
Shop around a bit, usually there is a dealer somewhere in the country with them on special, pretty much all the time, and you can save a couple hundred bucks even after postage to your local and transfer fee.
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by womble » 22 May 2020, 3:46 am

Lucky 13 makes a floating rail that can attach a bipod https://www.luckythirteen.com.au/product/remington-7600-free-floating-rail-system/
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 May 2020, 11:01 am

in the past l have seen guys at the range use these rifles and have the action open up on firing off bags
l saw several do this and asked my gunsmith would there be any worries with it
his reply was that "if the cases were not blown out of shape because of it, it would be ok"
the guys shooting these rifles were not holding the forearm when the rifles were shot but l consider this not locking the action up properly and dont like it
l will say though l have never seen or heard of any damage to the rifles or shooters because of this happening :unknown:

for how you hunt Blr l think having the ability to shoot some quick shots would be an asset to you :thumbsup:
especially with a 30 shot mag :sarcasm: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 22 May 2020, 12:31 pm

Does NSW allow 10 round mags for cat B pumps? The 10 round mags for the Berika which is cat A are illegal though.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 22 May 2020, 5:35 pm

Hated the position of the safety on mine. And it's was noisy to load if you want to stalk with it on an empty chamber. Aside from those 2 things mine was accurate enough and definitely quick for a follow up shot
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 22 May 2020, 6:09 pm

Good points men
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 May 2020, 7:14 pm

Just be aware that getting a good one depends on the luck of the draw. My 7600 has been faultless. Even the trigger is good, despite their reputation. The problems that I have heard of could be in the past now. Maybe quality control has improved. I don't know but Good Luck :) :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Strangedog » 22 May 2020, 7:17 pm

A bolt gun would be better in almost all respects, except if you are hunting mobs of pigs. That is where I believe they have their place. I fella I went hunting with had one in .243, it was very noisy to cycle. But we were hunting on bikes so that didn't matter.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Crazy » 24 May 2020, 6:55 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:Does NSW allow 10 round mags for cat B pumps? The 10 round mags for the Berika which is cat A are illegal though.

Yes Ten rounds max for pump rifles in every state but NT and SA as far as I'm aware those states can get 30 rounders or even a drum if their willing the pay the price of a rifle just to get said drum.
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 25 May 2020, 6:24 pm

I really like mine. Wasn’t happy with the red dot I had on it originally, but put a 1-4 scope on it with a dot, which I only turn on when I need it. Now I like it a lot.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 25 May 2020, 7:23 pm

Crazy wrote:Yes Ten rounds max for pump rifles in every state but NT and SA as far as I'm aware those states can get 30 rounders or even a drum if their willing the pay the price of a rifle just to get said drum.

So why does NSW allow 10 rounds for cat B pump but only 5 rounds for cat A bolt shotguns such as the Berika? QLD has unlimited magazines for cat A.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MJW380 » 25 May 2020, 9:29 pm

I’m pretty sure cause it’s a shotgun AC, and the capacity limit is 5. That’s why the Adler’s capacity was dropped from 7 to 5.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles