Australian vs US vs China

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Australian vs US vs China

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 May 2020, 7:28 am

Ok another thread from me, i know where it will end up and we will start talking about 8" grinders. But

I have been reading up the newspapers, and looking at China first putting up 80% tariff on barley, then banning beef exports from 4 abattoir. Then talk about iron ore investigation and now the government directive to power plants not to buy Australian coal.

All of this within weeks of Australian government asking for a covid inquiry and being trumps lap dog. There were lots of countries supporting Australia meekly.

It almost felt like the scene in Shreak movie where all the villagers went hunting the ogre, shouting lets kill him. and he comes up behind the loudest guy picks him up and asks you and who else the camera zooms out to see no one else there.

Australia is the lucky country cuz we dig s**t up and sell it. And lately it's been mainly been about digging s**t up and selling it to China. So why are the politicians on all sides (this is not the first time) so happy to keep on biting the hand that feeds it. If the Chinese tell their students not to come to Australia all our higher education sector including universities and many colleges will just die out
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: Australian vs US vs China

Post by poid » 22 May 2020, 7:47 am

well you've outlined the exact problem, we've got ourselves into a position where China believe we are reliant on them and they want to dictate how we do things. They've spent many years infiltrating politics, buying up land, real estate and businesses, ports etc etc basically in an effort to ensure Australia becomes a controlled quarry and farm for China. Belt and Roads is part of the same plan, and the CCP is using the US playbook there; load up countries with debt to build infrastructure that isn't commercially viable, and then exchange the debt for real assets when the country can't pay.

You can look to Hong Kong for how things turn out for a democracy that lives under Chinese influence, that is the outcome we need to avoid long term. We are stupid enough to have become reliant on Chinese money, and IMO it's at the point where we need to either resist that end outcome or accept becoming a defacto Chinese state which is the ultimate aim of the CCP.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 22 May 2020, 8:01 am

Australia has “wanted” commodities. China is our main trading partner because they are willing to pay the highest $ - it doesn’t mean there aren’t other markets. Set up better trade negotiations with India - their economy was growing at an amazingly positive rate and I’m sure they need steel. Countries like Japan, etc who are over populated for land mass cannot grow enough food, so look to better beef deals there...
Before covid - China was very close to its first recession in a looong time do they are probably using us as a scapegoat - some import pull back was needed regardless.

We all said after covid - surely the world will have to stop dealing with China so much - what an opportunity...it won’t be easy in the short term, but gains will return in the long run...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 May 2020, 8:28 am

Ahh but that's it... with India are you jumping from the frying pan into the fire. What to say they won't be worse.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 22 May 2020, 8:30 am

It's early days for this particular kerfuffle.
It essentially is a posing of the question 'are we going to do things the easy way or the hard way' with a very slight taste of the hard way being demonstrated.
No prizes for working out which political constituency the barley tariff is designed to hurt.
The serial thinkers in charge of this Anglo-American poodle have a real dilemma in their in tray.
We will be the, more than likely unfortunate, recipients of their competence.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Aliqua » 22 May 2020, 8:31 am

China makes up approximately 20-25% of the worlds population. Australia is already in talks with other large population countries like India in relation to the sale of our Barley, and I'm sure with the 'shift' in manufacturing to other countries which many countries have stated (and even countries like the USA who are choosing to a lot more domestic manufacturing) like India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Argentina, EU etc etc... I can only hope that countries like Australia who are being 'strong armed' by China that we can send our goods to these other countries and get the same output - many countries of which we already have free-trade agreements with.

What China is failing to see (they're too stupid and immature/childish) is that they are not only offending / affecting Australia, but also our allies... and their actions are actually uniting a lot of the western countries against China; thus they will find that not just Australia will pull out. Yes China has a number of domestic resources but not nearly the quantity or the quality of the other countries it sources from (eg: iron ore, meat, dairy and everything else...) to support both their domestic market and their international market and in turn it will affect their bottom line both domestically and internationally while the rest of the world who has become reliant on china, will soon find alternative solutions with other countries to produce these products and thrive...

Side note: How funny that the consular general (ambassador) left the country this week for health reasons?
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 22 May 2020, 9:36 am

Always a risk with farming, diversification is the key and not having all ya eggs in one basket so to speak.

The Barley tariff has been brewing for a while and it has many factors including that we tariff Chinese steel and aluminum producers

It's also bye product of Trumps trade war, part supporting Chinese barley grower and part smacking Scott Morrison poor diplomacy.

Many factors at play here and there is no simple solution
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 22 May 2020, 9:40 am

Wondered how long it would take before the T word came in lol.
“ Ahh but that's it... with India are you jumping from the frying pan into the fire. What to say they won't be worse.” - if our contract negotiators haven’t learnt, their in the wrong job....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Grandadbushy » 22 May 2020, 10:13 am

Aliqua ''Chinese ambassador left country for health reasons'' ;) i'm not one to start a rumor :lol: but I heard he got a bat bone caught in his neck :D :lol: just sayin :thumbsup: :drinks:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 22 May 2020, 10:39 am

Yes it's got very nasty now the Aus v US v China yep it's resorted to China making a cartoon of Trump and Trump making one of China ''oooowah nasty'' :lol: :lol: china can't survive with only their minerals and food bowls it has to rely on other countries to survive this is a pissing contest between Trump and the Chinese gov, Australia is being used as a pawn to get at the US I doubt anything will change if Australia stands its grounds alone it's of no wonder that china thinks Australia is a puppet of the US , Australia has followed the US like a little puppy lost ,Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan are just 3 that come to mind :crazy: unfortunately the US has our back when it comes to larger countries than Australia so it's like having a guard dog that will eventually bite you so don't worry when china resumes the original deal less the 80% duty on barley ,Australia should put an export duty on the barley to China of 80% plus interest and up the contract price until they gain back the monies lost to china with its 80% duty :lol: China forgot that 2 can play that game :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by scoot » 22 May 2020, 10:40 am

Australia is rich with resources, e.g.. minerals, cropping country, livestock and skills. Someone needs to man up and tell China to f@#$ off. The short term losses will hurt but long term benefits will be reaped when they realise we got what the world needs.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by AussieCapitalist » 22 May 2020, 12:52 pm

China needs the world the world does not need china. The world is waking up to the evil threat that is china and local manufacturing will return again as the world becomes more isolationist and moves away from china.. We use to make everything in this country now we are reliant on everyone. We have massive gas reserves about 40% of the worlds but yet we pay the highest price for gas in the world. Same with beef. Japan buys our best cuts and we are left with the scraps. Australians have zero pride in blood and soil and would sell their own mother to a foreign market to make a buck. There is nothing wrong with trade but it cant come at the expensive of the home country. Over half the workforce is on the dole at the moment. That cant last forever.

The 2020s will be a rough decade for the world. I can see a physical war with china happening by by 2030. Every single time throughout history when a so called dying power (USA) is rivaled by another power (china) it has resulted in conflict.

We are in 1913 and the winds of war are rumbling. What will be the spark that lights this powder keg?
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 22 May 2020, 1:28 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:China needs the world the world does not need china. The world is waking up to the evil threat that is china and local manufacturing will return again as the world becomes more isolationist and moves away from china.. We use to make everything in this country now we are reliant on everyone. We have massive gas reserves about 40% of the worlds but yet we pay the highest price for gas in the world. Same with beef. Japan buys our best cuts and we are left with the scraps. Australians have zero pride in blood and soil and would sell their own mother to a foreign market to make a buck. There is nothing wrong with trade but it cant come at the expensive of the home country. Over half the workforce is on the dole at the moment. That cant last forever.

The 2020s will be a rough decade for the world. I can see a physical war with china happening by by 2030. Every single time throughout history when a so called dying power (USA) is rivaled by another power (china) it has resulted in conflict.

We are in 1913 and the winds of war are rumbling. What will be the spark that lights this powder keg?

Bring it on
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aliqua » 22 May 2020, 1:41 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:Aliqua ''Chinese ambassador left country for health reasons'' ;) i'm not one to start a rumor :lol: but I heard he got a bat bone caught in his neck :D :lol: just sayin :thumbsup: :drinks:

I heard he is actually a she :lol:
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 May 2020, 2:06 pm

scoot wrote:Australia is rich with resources, e.g.. minerals, cropping country, livestock and skills. Someone needs to man up and tell China to f@#$ off. The short term losses will hurt but long term benefits will be reaped when they realise we got what the world needs.

+1, but greed and the almighty $ have got australia's business leaders crying and ready to give in already . traitors i reackon. the worlds a big place and our ambassadors and trade ministers should get off their buts and work for new markets . china needs our ore,coal and produce more than we need them . well that's my opinion, the harsh reallity is most aussies like to buy the cheap chinese imports. but at what point do we sell our country and freedom off for cheap crap ?

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 22 May 2020, 4:11 pm

The Chinese regime wants the best of communism and capitalism and it would appear that they don't give a flying f*&k how they achieve it. I think uncle Scott needs to show some balls and take control of our economic future and not pander to the unscrupulous Chinese government. When things don't go their own way, they want to take their dim sims and go home.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 22 May 2020, 8:30 pm

from the replies l think its pretty obvious what people think and l dont know anyone personally who thinks any different, aussies are not happy and want a change, that is except people like twiggy forrest :lol: beware billionaire bearing gifts ;) :lol:

it has to be remembered how snakey the chinese are
eg.. China has a reputation for poor-quality honey loaded with contaminants and is working hard to avoid using a “Made in China” label on the product, A media investigation into the scale of the Australian honey relabeling operations, found that up to 2,228t of Chinese honey was shipped to Australia, mainly through Singapore, and then re-exported to the United States in the 2001-02 financial year at a time when the U.S. had banned Chinese honey.
but singapore has no bees :unknown:
https://www.change.org/p/imported-honey ... dit_var=v3

and how new zealand receives vegetables from china, freezes them and sends them to australia, "Made in New Zealand from local and imported ingredients’.
https://www.change.org/p/imported-honey ... tm_term=cs

the list goes on, l dont get into the tariff BS because we all well know the chinese economy has completely tanked and they cant afford the produce at the moment anyway so time to play some games

but its not really the "Australian vs US vs China", its the world vs ccp and pretty sure that would include some chinese against the ccp :wtf:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 May 2020, 9:42 pm

chinese folks aren't happy in hong kong MM . they were supposed to keep their unique status of being relatively free compared to mainland china , it was in a list of terms and conditions that was ripped up by bejing . that's what the riots in hong kong are about . i think things are going from bad to worse as chinese imperialism seems to be increasing every year. and as you've pointed out MM , in business and politics the chinese state tries very hard to deceive. i think the world should suspend all trade with china and seek other markets

and "twiggy" forest , and big business like him ,will sell out this country for a ship load of money :thumbsdown:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 22 May 2020, 11:21 pm

We always like to say we are a lucky country and I am in no doubt I won the lottery at birth to be able to live here but ponder Donald Horne's opening lines to his book The Lucky Country...

Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck. It lives on other people's ideas, and, although its ordinary people are adaptable, most of its leaders (in all fields) so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise.[2]

This was written in the 60's but I reckon still holds true. It's that lack of curiosity and imagination that have led us where we are today. Dig stuff up and sell it. Open your uni enrolments to all comers - easy money. Literally sell off the farm. We have a national business model based on mass immigration to fuel demand and increase govt tax base rather than the tougher task of tax reform and productivity increases

An example of a country with leaders with imagination is Norway which started its oil profits-based sovereign wealth fund in 1990 and currently has assets of over 1 trillion $US

We haven't got a lot to show for 30 years of uninterrupted economic growth. What a squandered opportunity.

As to how we deal with China, I dont know but if youve ever been on an American forum - I'm frequent visitor to several, I'm always amazed at the value Americans put on Made in USA and the premium they will pay to buy American.

Personally cant see manufacturing industries bouncing back on any scale any time soon in Australia. We made our last car engine here in 2017. WE need 2 things we dont have a lot of - skills (RIP TAFE) and cheap energy. Sure we can import skilled workers - there's that lack of imagination again!
Last edited by allthegearandnoidea on 23 May 2020, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 23 May 2020, 12:02 am

China is an evil country. It unleashed a virus upon the world which could have been prevented many times over and which has caused significant human and economic destruction. It has millions in concentration camps. It disappears anyone that criticizes the regime. It actively suppresses any sort of free thought or human freedom as it pleases. It enslaves countries around the world with debt and projects they cannot afford. It's working on violating the agreement with the UK over Hong Kong. It has threatened to obliterate Taiwan for the past 70 years. It illegally builds islands out in the South Pacific and harasses shipping in international waters.

In regards to Australia it is seeking to draw the country into it's sphere of influence by hook or by crook. If you do not comply you will pay in one way or another.

China wants to be a big player in the world but the problem is that it is rotten to it's core, much like the USSR. I think covid-1984 has the potential to be China's Chernobyl.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Ziege » 23 May 2020, 12:28 am

The CCP shouldn't be encouraged or perpetuated, but pissy little trade restrictions aren't going to hurt them, full global embargoes would crush China in mere days. But war would ensue as they face starvation and complete recession
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by womble » 23 May 2020, 5:04 am

It’s also a real opportunity to wipe out communism globally.
And that chance might not come again.
I think their hysterics reflect their panic.
Trump and Putin just need to hash over who gets what and its a sure thing
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 23 May 2020, 9:04 am

Womble I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the end of Communism/socialism and all of its fascist greed and corruption gone.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Bugman » 23 May 2020, 10:26 am

Ziege wrote:Womble I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the end of Communism/socialism and all of its fascist greed and corruption gone.

Totally agree.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 23 May 2020, 11:46 am

I don't understand how Australia can be the called the "lucky country". I would say QLD was the lucky state years ago but those days are over. This country sucks in a lot of ways.

We cant say what we want
We have zero rights against the government
We cant shoot whatever action we want
We pay a lot of taxes for stupid social programs for lazy people.
Everything costs more here
We don't have concealed carry or castle law
Everything fun is illegal or highly regulated.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 May 2020, 1:35 pm

AC can i ask why did you come back? For so much hate of Australia its only recently i found you came back from over there, and it doesn't make sense, either you are a gca stooge trolling us, or infact Australia is better. Otherwise doesn't make sense why you come back.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as Apple pie, to build industry from ground up, and unless we all want to pay triple the price for Australian made, manufacturing is not likely to come back. I mean how many posts i see here of howa love compared to lithgow which are double the price of howa. Even though lithgow is a better rifle?

The unfortunate reality is that we need China to buy our stuff, while we are but a tiny market for them. So they can easily buy Russian coal.. and Russia would love to sell their coal to China. And trying to find a new market for our coal....So say India, Russia would probably be trying their best to sell them coal and with lower wages in Russia it will probably be cheaper to dig it out there than here. And just like us buying the $2 tshirts from kmart everyone wants to save a buck.

This is not a trump or covid19 thread so ill only say while the first known cases are from China, there is no certainty that it originated from China. And while China, Australia controlled the virus other countries couldn't not. This fact reeally doesn't look good on their management (govt). Even third world countries like India, Pakistan, iran have less cases and deaths than some western countries. So whoop is to blame for all these deaths China that gave you the cold...or your management where you kept denying its existence.

And i am going to call bullshot on economic collapse. if you look at the share market its nearly back to last year levels, you look at companies that are allowed to open like coles, petrol stations, construction sites etc everything is going gang busters.

I got a part time worker, he's getting another $550/ fortnight extra from centrelink. I know plenty of kids working 1 or 2 shots at a local shop getting extra 1500/fortnight. House prices are still on the up. I look around and apart from businesses that are forced to close i don't see nothing bad

Honestly it almost feels like a big con job from the governments across the world to control their citizens or some similar bulldust
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 23 May 2020, 1:48 pm

Retail businesses here are allowed to open full time - yet many are only opening for those 2-3 days to preserve the govt hand outs And ensure they don’t have to contribute to wages...it’s quite unbelievable but it says an awful lot. Money...the root of all evil.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by AussieCapitalist » 23 May 2020, 1:50 pm

Sergeant Hartman wrote:AC can i ask why did you come back? For so much hate of Australia its only recently i found you came back from over there, and it doesn't make sense, either you are a gca stooge trolling us, or infact Australia is better. Otherwise doesn't make sense why you come back.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as Apple pie, to build industry from ground up, and unless we all want to pay triple the price for Australian made, manufacturing is not likely to come back. I mean how many posts i see here of howa love compared to lithgow which are double the price of howa. Even though lithgow is a better rifle?

The unfortunate reality is that we need China to buy our stuff, while we are but a tiny market for them. So they can easily buy Russian coal.. and Russia would love to sell their coal to China. And trying to find a new market for our coal....So say India, Russia would probably be trying their best to sell them coal and with lower wages in Russia it will probably be cheaper to dig it out there than here. And just like us buying the $2 tshirts from kmart everyone wants to save a buck.

This is not a trump or covid19 thread so ill only say while the first known cases are from China, there is no certainty that it originated from China. And while China, Australia controlled the virus other countries couldn't not. This fact reeally doesn't look good on their management (govt). Even third world countries like India, Pakistan, iran have less cases and deaths than some western countries. So whoop is to blame for all these deaths China that gave you the cold...or your management where you kept denying its existence.

And i am going to call bullshot on economic collapse. if you look at the share market its nearly back to last year levels, you look at companies that are allowed to open like coles, petrol stations, construction sites etc everything is going gang busters.

I got a part time worker, he's getting another $550/ fortnight extra from centrelink. I know plenty of kids working 1 or 2 shots at a local shop getting extra 1500/fortnight. House prices are still on the up. I look around and apart from businesses that are forced to close i don't see nothing bad

Honestly it almost feels like a big con job from the governments across the world to control their citizens or some similar bulldust

I came back home because my visa ran out but also because it is home. I don't hate Australia sarge, it just angers me how s**t it is and how it has changed for the worse. I know you know deep down it has changed over the years and is not what it once was. I love QLD and want to live here for the rest of my days. The red dirt and the sugarcane is now in my blood as a first generation son of German immigrants. I would just like to tweak some of the laws to make it more free, safe and enjoyable for everybody.

In America there is a sense of pride for "made in the USA". People are happy to pay more and they actively seek out to buy local. We need that in this country. We need that green/yellow triangle kangaroo on everything.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 May 2020, 3:36 pm

I have to say i agree with you on that. I mean it pisses me off how you can but a $2 teeshirt made in Bangladesh which lasts 2 washes or $150 designer shirt which is still made in China.

Or things where government giving out billions of dollars to support a foreign owned car manufacture... but then most govt departments are allowed to buy toyota corolla (cheap imports). And worse even though it's known that the money is being transferred back to US no conditions are placed on the handouts.

On the other hand it also pisses me off as we become obsessed with a particular country's ownership of some farms while no one complains when the farm was sold to US/UK/SA based groups. And even now a huge percentage of farms are owned by us/european interests.

I think China is both good and evil... also i do think we should realise our stature in the world... we are nothing. So just relax and chill, be friends with China and USA, but not make them our enemies.

Be more like NZ, they didn't jump into iraq/Afghanistan, they don't have terrorism, they haven't upset China or USA. they are just themselves. If we were more like them but with a bigger population and economy...we be better than we are now.

And the 1960s comment sounds very correct even in 2020
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 23 May 2020, 3:53 pm

Alright mate good. We have found some common ground on somethings. This is a good day. :drinks:
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics