Winchester 9422M peep sights

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Winchester 9422M peep sights

Post by Shootermick » 23 May 2020, 9:47 am

I’m looking to put some peep sights on my 9422M. It’s pretty accurate with the factory sights, but I think some decent peeps would improve it even more.
I’m thinking maybe a Williams groove type. Has anyone put these on a 9422? Did you have to change out the front post? I’d like a fibre optic front post anyway, hopefully they might be available as a set.?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Winchester 9422M peep sights

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2020, 9:50 am

Shootermick wrote:I’m looking to put some peep sights on my 9422M. It’s pretty accurate with the factory sights, but I think some decent peeps would improve it even more.
I’m thinking maybe a Williams groove type. Has anyone put these on a 9422? Did you have to change out the front post? I’d like a fibre optic front post anyway, hopefully they might be available as a set.?

I use the William's dovetail peep on my JW21. I can't recall off the top of my head whether I had to do anything with front sight height, but I think it was fine. I did file it down to half its width, that's the opposite of putting a fat fiber optic element in though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 23 May 2020, 10:22 am

bladeracer wrote:
Shootermick wrote:I’m looking to put some peep sights on my 9422M. It’s pretty accurate with the factory sights, but I think some decent peeps would improve it even more.

I use the William's dovetail peep on my JW21. I can't recall off the top of my head whether I had to do anything with front sight height, but I think it was fine. I did file it down to half its width, that's the opposite of putting a fat fiber optic element in though.

That’s the type I’m keen on. Not the one with the adjustments hanging down the left hand side, but the one that just slides in on top of the receiver.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 23 May 2020, 10:25 am

Try Rebel Gun Works in Brisbane, They seem to advertise a open sights/cost and availability.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 23 May 2020, 3:15 pm

The slidey ones are great for set-n-forget, but when you're countin the clicks (i.e. ringing steel), the L-shaped ones are better. And remember the 22 is a bit of a rainbow...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2020, 5:10 pm

I prefer peeps for precision but don't like them at all for field use, they obstruct too much of the field of view, although you can shoot both eyes open. With the William's you can remove the aperture insert and use the housing as a ghost ring, but I haven't tried that for precision shooting.

Shootermick wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

That’s the type I’m keen on. Not the one with the adjustments hanging down the left hand side, but the one that just slides in on top of the receiver.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 23 May 2020, 6:11 pm

in2anity wrote:The slidey ones are great for set-n-forget, but when you're countin the clicks (i.e. ringing steel), the L-shaped ones are better. And remember the 22 is a bit of a rainbow...

Yeah, I know you’re right. But I’m just after a set and forget job for a few bunnies around the farm, nothing too serious.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 23 May 2020, 6:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:I prefer peeps for precision but don't like them at all for field use, they obstruct too much of the field of view, although you can shoot both eyes open. With the William's you can remove the aperture insert and use the housing as a ghost ring, but I haven't tried that for precision shooting.

Yes couldn’t agree more - a narrow target aperture is a hindrance shooting fur. I’ve maimed animals because of this. A nice wide aperture on the other hand is a darned practical thing - like the battle sight on a Lee Enfield no4.

I must say, once you’ve hunted with irons, it makes going back to a scope feel like a cake-walk. A valuable learning experience.
Last edited by in2anity on 23 May 2020, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 23 May 2020, 6:34 pm

Bugman wrote:Try Rebel Gun Works in Brisbane, They seem to advertise a open sights/cost and availability.

Rebel are out of stock. Anywhere else in Australia that you know of?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 23 May 2020, 8:40 pm

An outside chance try Brownells Australia ( but they seem to have a waiting time as they tend to order from the US)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2020, 9:18 pm

Shootermick wrote:
Bugman wrote:Try Rebel Gun Works in Brisbane, They seem to advertise a open sights/cost and availability.

Rebel are out of stock. Anywhere else in Australia that you know of?

I only ordered one Williams through my dealer. It took weeks to turn up and was twice the price of getting them from the US. I bought four more direct via Brownells.com.au and Ebay, much quicker.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles