Buy a Boyd's stock and get it pillar bedded???

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Buy a Boyd's stock and get it pillar bedded???

Post by ozzielee303 » 24 May 2020, 11:46 am

Hi Guys and Gals
I have too much time on my hands waiting for my permit to come and to pick up my Howa Mini Action HB 223.
Would love to get a a B&C stock for it,but money is tight,so thought of getting a Boyd stock(I do like them) and getting the action pillar bedded and bedded,what are your thoughts?
Or,should I just put the money aside and get a B&C M40 stock,save up for it.

A mate has shown me his Howa HB .308 and the stock flexes like a snake :crazy:

Just don't know what to try,maybe see how mine shoots first??
Is there pillars out there for the Howa Mini Action????(Sorry dumb question) :unknown:
Cheers
Cheers
ozzielee303
"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Buy a Boyd's stock and get it pillar bedded???

Post by marksman » 24 May 2020, 12:07 pm

a proper bedding job is always a good thing, pillars are basically to stop the area squashing
l do believe in a pillar in the tang for rifles like m98
l would be looking at a bedding job in devcon or JB weld :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by ozzielee303 » 24 May 2020, 1:01 pm

marksman wrote:a proper bedding job is always a good thing, pillars are basically to stop the area squashing
l do believe in a pillar in the tang for rifles like m98
l would be looking at a bedding job in devcon or JB weld :drinks:

Thanks marksman
Probably a Boyds stock and then pillars for it and bedding job would be around the price of a B&C stock,don't know. :unknown:
Cheers
ozzielee303
"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by ozzielee303 » 24 May 2020, 2:17 pm

I've just been reading,that even stocks that have a bedding block in them need pillar bedding,that was on a gunsmith website in the US,is this true?
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 May 2020, 9:38 pm

I bought a GRS Bifrost stock and it didn't require bedding, the cost of the Boyds stock and getting someone else to bed it for you would be more than a GRS.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 24 May 2020, 10:39 pm

Bedding a stock isn't hard, it's fiddly, but it's not hard, coat of getting it done depends on what materials you choose to use.

JB weld and clear boot polish and some electrical tape works wonders.

Are Boyd's making stocks for the mini action now Are they?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by ozzielee303 » 25 May 2020, 10:21 am

SCJ429 wrote:I bought a GRS Bifrost stock and it didn't require bedding, the cost of the Boyds stock and getting someone else to bed it for you would be more than a GRS.

Mate
They do look like a good bit of kit,but I am more traditional,not saying they would not benefit my rifle,but not for me sorry :unknown:
Cheers
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by ozzielee303 » 25 May 2020, 10:28 am

Ziege wrote:Bedding a stock isn't hard, it's fiddly, but it's not hard, coat of getting it done depends on what materials you choose to use.

JB weld and clear boot polish and some electrical tape works wonders.

Are Boyd's making stocks for the mini action now Are they?

Hey Ziege
I would probably do it myself,the bedding,thinking of getting the kit from Ballistic Studies,Nathan Foster,also been looking at his videos on the subject.

Yes,Boyds are making stocks for the Howa Mini Action now :clap:
Cheers mate
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by marksman » 25 May 2020, 3:07 pm

l dont think Nathan Foster imports his bedding materials anymore
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by ozzielee303 » 25 May 2020, 8:16 pm

marksman wrote:l dont think Nathan Foster imports his bedding materials anymore

Well thats put a spanner in the works,bugger! :unknown:
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 25 May 2020, 11:50 pm

Just get some clear boot polish and cover the areas on ya action/stock that don't want the goop getting stuck on, and use any slow setting solid epoxy, JB weld works fine, but any solid slow epoxy will work just fine.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by ozzielee303 » 26 May 2020, 10:16 am

Ziege wrote:Just get some clear boot polish and cover the areas on ya action/stock that don't want the goop getting stuck on, and use any slow setting solid epoxy, JB weld works fine, but any solid slow epoxy will work just fine.

Ziege
Thanks for that,will do.
I wonder if Boyds stocks come with pillars already installed?
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by ozzielee303 » 26 May 2020, 11:14 am

Decided to look at an MDT Oryx Stock,not much info on the website,does anyone know if you use your own magazine or do you have to buy one??
And does the rifle just bolt in?? :unknown:
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 May 2020, 4:32 pm

with the MDT ESS - have to buy specific MDT magazine that fits the chassis and then - sometimes specific calibre...with the 300win - there were two options, one was insanely large and would also accomodate 338 - so I elected for smaller unit that spans 300 win and smaller - and it’s perfect...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 26 May 2020, 5:28 pm

ozzielee303 wrote:Decided to look at an MDT Oryx Stock,not much info on the website,does anyone know if you use your own magazine or do you have to buy one??

Why do they make them look so ugly, or is it just me? Looks like it was styled by the same guy who designed the Nissan Micra.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 26 May 2020, 5:46 pm

Bahahahaha micra
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by ozzielee303 » 26 May 2020, 8:17 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
ozzielee303 wrote:Decided to look at an MDT Oryx Stock,not much info on the website,does anyone know if you use your own magazine or do you have to buy one??

Why do they make them look so ugly, or is it just me? Looks like it was styled by the same guy who designed the Nissan Micra.

Funny,but right :D :D :D :D :thumbsup:
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by ozzielee303 » 26 May 2020, 8:20 pm

TassieTiger wrote:with the MDT ESS - have to buy specific MDT magazine that fits the chassis and then - sometimes specific calibre...with the 300win - there were two options, one was insanely large and would also accomodate 338 - so I elected for smaller unit that spans 300 win and smaller - and it’s perfect...

Hey Tassie
Decided not to go with the Oryx,putting it towards a B&C stock,going to order one tomorrow or the next day,put the 50% deposit on it and wait 12 weeks for it to come and pay the rest off,sweet! :thumbsup:
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 May 2020, 9:08 pm

Coolios - hope you didn’t order the bx model, with all the reported trouble - never mind, am sure you didn’t.
12 weeks - wow. Is that 12 weeks pre covid ? Because that’s 20 weeks now lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by ozzielee303 » 27 May 2020, 8:22 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Coolios - hope you didn’t order the bx model, with all the reported trouble - never mind, am sure you didn’t.
12 weeks - wow. Is that 12 weeks pre covid ? Because that’s 20 weeks now lol

Hey Tassie
Bx model,whats that one?
I ordered the M40 style one,you got me worried now????? :unknown:
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 28 May 2020, 2:51 pm

Sorry mate - it’s just a bit of a long standing joke I do - there’s no BX. You’ll be good ! :thumbsup:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by ozzielee303 » 28 May 2020, 8:38 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Sorry mate - it’s just a bit of a long standing joke I do - there’s no BX. You’ll be good ! :thumbsup:

Holy Poop,had me going,could have kept stringing me along mate ;)
Yeah,I ordered the black with grey spiderweb,now just have to sit back and wait for it. :thumbsup:
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 03 Jun 2020, 9:51 pm

Ozzielee,
i am in a similar situation - i picked up a howa stainless sporter barrelled action in 6.5 creed just as a project of sorts to see if I can come ups with a sub 4kg stalking rifle.
With it being a budget build in mind - finding a suitable stock that is around 1 kg or less is now on the cards. Being a stalking rifle - carried more than shot - tack-driving accuracy isnt needed and thus the need for pillars probably isnt there - but a bit of glass bedding around the recoil lug may do. Whilst a boyds laminate stock could work i think a walnut stock (italian made version that OSA used to import - if i can find one) may be best - and just get the recoil lug bedded and the barrel channel sealed against moisture egress.

Good fun trying to achieve my outcome!!
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by ozzielee303 » 04 Jun 2020, 9:07 pm

solarpak wrote:Ozzielee,
i am in a similar situation - i picked up a howa stainless sporter barrelled action in 6.5 creed just as a project of sorts to see if I can come ups with a sub 4kg stalking rifle.
With it being a budget build in mind - finding a suitable stock that is around 1 kg or less is now on the cards. Being a stalking rifle - carried more than shot - tack-driving accuracy isnt needed and thus the need for pillars probably isnt there - but a bit of glass bedding around the recoil lug may do. Whilst a boyds laminate stock could work i think a walnut stock (italian made version that OSA used to import - if i can find one) may be best - and just get the recoil lug bedded and the barrel channel sealed against moisture egress.

Good fun trying to achieve my outcome!!
C.

solarpak
sounds like you will have fun trying to get to your ideal weight for the rifle,good luck mate,I'm sure you will do it,I like to potter around on my firearms,if it does not work,I will try something else and get something that might work,trouble is I have to many irons in the fire so to speak :thumbsup:
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing