Setting some goals, taking it up a notch

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Setting some goals, taking it up a notch

Post by Blr243 » 23 May 2020, 8:59 pm

Only maybe 2-3 times have I successfully called pigs out of thick impenetrable scrub with either a phone app or my own voice ....but I want to do a lot more of it. I think it would make great video. Despite wanting to do it and having plenty of opportunities at night I have never attempted it for fear that I might stuff up and ruin an already certain good result....usually once I’m in range I just lay down to get a great rest and then shoot .. I’m always too anxious to start calling at that moment ... but I should. So I’m looking to call and get some pigs to run right up to me in the dark within a couple of feet .........also up the cape I heard about a ringer who saw a boar feeding in a swamp and he decided to try catch it. He sneaked up behind it and grabbed it by the tail......so at night , on the croppland I want to sneak up behind a solo pig and grab it by the tail. If a cat can do it to a bird then so can I ... we do not get anywhere in life thinking we can’t achieve something ... it’s time for some extra thrills I think so by Xmas 2020 if I’m not calling pigs and have them run in on me , or if I have not caught a pig by the tail bare handed in the field at night , make sure u give me some flak ......I spose I should be carefull if I’m sneaking up on the straggler of a mob. If they hear signs of distress they might all come back to chew on me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Setting some goals, taking it up a notch

Post by marksman » 23 May 2020, 9:27 pm

this l would call "fair chase" and l recon it would be a sight to see :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 24 May 2020, 7:48 am

Twice I have found sows in nests and grabbed them but it’s rare to find a grass nest occupied with the handles hangin out
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 May 2020, 12:35 am

By the tail, ???? :shock: :o :wtf:

What sort of control do you think you'll have ?

Personally I'd be going for a rear hoof, and preferably both so you can steer em like a wheel barrow.

I'm presuming you'll be trying this on young stuff,,,, and not a big gnarly old tusker.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 May 2020, 4:42 am

Sure as sounds interesting blr ! You should film it, you could end up with your own cable tv show ! :D you could be the Steve Irwin of pig hunting. “Crikey, look at this little bewdy “ as your hanging onto a angry boars tail as he’s trying to turn around and mangle ya ! :lol:

Nah, it’s good you’ve set yourself goals and I wish you well :thumbsup:
Make sure you keep us up to date on this forum mate

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 25 May 2020, 5:54 am

Would be interested to know what app your using, I have tried a few times at the edge of a cane paddock when I could hear them but it only made them run in deeper.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 May 2020, 7:56 am

When I said handles hanging out I meant rear hocks hanging out back of the grass nest..... Hog pro by convergent is the app I use it’s something done in association with Glenn guess The app was recommended to me by a hunter from Victoria .....there is a free version but it not worth dicking around with pay the extra 5 bucks and get proper one there is a particular sound on it called (sow grunts.) If you have ever walked up to a pig pen and been approached by a sow that’s either wanting some tucker, a scratch on its back or just to be social , that’s what it sounds like. It’s sort of like a sow talking to a human who it knows and trusts. I chose this sound from the others because the sow sounds very relaxed .....on some apps the sounds are not taken from real pigs , they are manufactured and disgracefully fake , a joke in fact .... farmer Pete’s comments about pigs on the edge of cane are the reason I don’t use the app in the open when I don’t have to because I think if u use the wrong sound at the wrong time in the wrong situation it will just scare them away. But it sure is a rush when u can hear the pig running thru long grass towards u to check u out. Moments like that are not easily forgotten..... I choose the tail as my first grab for the following reasons Only once in my life have I heard of a pigs tail breaking. It’s a very reliable hold even when wet ...a violent leg kick, or a wet leg or a really thick leg I have had come loose occasionally. If I can make this happen I will be goin for a leg the moment I have a firm grip on the tail...I’m ok with any size pig it adds to excitement...I thrive on different approaches to anything in life ....I have had a few dangerous wrestling type encounters that occasionally go semi wrong it’s just what happens if u are dogging ...doggers get up to all sorts of antics and sometimes they are not even sober yes big rich a vid is a must. But not terribly easy in the dark .. I’ll do my best
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 May 2020, 8:04 am

I’ve come across some real crazies that do dogging. The type that aren’t very professional and are not on this planet in their state of mind ;) some have come off with bad injuries, even just from running flat out through the Bush

Hey blr, you could get your own cable show like “Joe Exotic, tiger king “ :lol:

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 May 2020, 10:18 am

That tiger king bloke is way too strange. Out in the open farm paddocks when there is no cover and the pigs are strictly focused moving and feeding I never hear them vocalise ever , no squealing or squabbling so I need to be super cautious trying to call them in that environment it would be seen as unusual to them .....calling probably won’t work on a mob but might work on a solo boar who thinks he has just heard a mob .... we shall see
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 May 2020, 12:25 pm

It’ll be interesting to see how you go with all this blr. I got a idea but. I hear of all sorts of subsidies and grants for some pretty bizarre stuff, why not approach the Queensland uni or the csiro for a study grant on the habits and social characteristics of wild pigs ? :D

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 May 2020, 2:08 pm

A 100 ooo dollar grant paid to me so I can go hunting for a year and a supplied 4wd fuel , SLR and ammo would be nice but I should stop dreaming. I’m sure our government has spent our bucks less wisely at some stage .. let’s not go there ....... I did hear about a grant and a study of a particular parrot on the west coast of cape York. The parrot I think from memory makes it’s nest inside termite mounds .... I can imagine that while studying parrots I could find time also for boars Saratoga and Barra
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 May 2020, 2:10 pm

Now that’s a idea blr :D :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 May 2020, 2:16 pm

Sometimes wanting a bit of variety in hunting can I think readily arise from haveing done a fair bit of the same thing. I once knew a bowhunter that filmed a lot of his stuff locally and up north ...he jokingly said to me one way of throwing a bit of comedy into the scene would be to film a bloke sneaking up on a boar in a swamp while dressed in a Ronald McDonald suit ...... I can’t say I’m ready to go there at this stage of my life
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 May 2020, 4:26 pm

Blr243 wrote:Sometimes wanting a bit of variety in hunting can I think readily arise from haveing done a fair bit of the same thing. I once knew a bowhunter that filmed a lot of his stuff locally and up north ...he jokingly said to me one way of throwing a bit of comedy into the scene would be to film a bloke sneaking up on a boar in a swamp while dressed in a Ronald McDonald suit ...... I can’t say I’m ready to go there at this stage of my life

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 May 2020, 7:23 pm

Monday afternoon update. At the dog park this arv Deisel has a ball stuck in his throat Could not get it out. Rushed to vet. Ball removed. Thank god for the Asian lady with the small hands .....the old vet said in 40 yrs he had never seen a ball stuck so well. So he is in vet for overnight observation and I’m at the hospital holding my arm up in the air with multiple cuts and puncture wounds waiting to see a doc and blood allover me. He bit me as if he really really hated me .....I tried super hard to get that ball out ... my hand feels like I have been tortured my a Mexican drug cartel.....but my dog is going to live
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 May 2020, 7:29 pm

Was just interrupted by nurse. So you all keep balls away from your dogs and throw them different shaped toys instead. So this don’t happen to you. And I might consider some mundane hunting adventures for a bit and not bother taking it up a notch for a while.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 May 2020, 7:43 pm

Above posts .......natural stress and adrenaline. Prior to administration of endone
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 25 May 2020, 8:08 pm

OMG!

Heaven help ya mate. Hope you will both be OK :drinks: :thumbsup:
Last edited by Wm.Traynor on 25 May 2020, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 May 2020, 8:08 pm

Blr243 wrote:..I thrive on different approaches to anything in life ....I have had a few dangerous wrestling type encounters that occasionally go semi wrong

I can see it now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, next post from BLR will be aided by a sexy nurse in ER.

yes big rich a vid is a must. But not terribly easy in the dark .. I’ll do my best

Should be a piece of cake Mate,,,,, You could have the torch firmly wedged in where the sun don't shine,,,, and the video camera clenched
in yer teeth as you look to your rear over your shoulder and stalk the boar backwards.
That way you'll have both hands free and ready. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 May 2020, 8:13 pm

bigrich wrote:It’ll be interesting to see how you go with all this blr. I got a idea but. I hear of all sorts of subsidies and grants for some pretty bizarre stuff, why not approach the Queensland uni or the csiro for a study grant on the habits and social characteristics of wild pigs ? :D

There was a Uni student from Adelaide years back that was given a $10,000 grant to try and work out how much stale bread a flock of seagulls
could eat.

Yep,,,,,, bizarre. :crazy:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 May 2020, 9:25 pm

Blr243 wrote: So he is in vet for overnight observation

Well,,,, there goes at least 1,000 hard earned $$$

Been there and done that half a dozen times.
The accounts dept NEVER miss,,,,,,,,,,,,, unlike hunting with a rifle. :thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 May 2020, 9:43 pm

My initial quote was somewhere between 1 and 2 grand for the overnight observation of my dog but it was from someone who was very unsure. Then they gave me a proper written quote for roughly 400. So that’s cool. I’m still stuck at hospital and noticing a few hotties so I must be fine if I can still think along those lines. Sony make a good (side of the head action cam) that does not get in the way or bumped like those helmet go pro things. ..for later. For now I’m up for a couple of days relaxation
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 May 2020, 10:00 pm

Blr243 wrote:My initial quote was somewhere between 1 and 2 grand for the overnight observation of my dog but it was from someone who was very unsure. Then they gave me a proper written quote for roughly 400. So that’s cool. I’m still stuck at hospital and noticing a few hotties so I must be fine if I can still think along those lines. Sony make a good (side of the head action cam) that does not get in the way or bumped like those helmet go pro things. ..for later. For now I’m up for a couple of days relaxation

The last four times "Lucy" was put in, even for only one night, we didn't get any change out of $1,000
And when she was in for three nights it didn't change from the per night charge.
And that was only for the accommodation charges,, xrays, CT scans, MRI's and medications were piled on top.

I firmly believe that as soon as they find out you have pet insurance all charges sky rocket.

The last hospitalization before I was told that she had a brain tumor actually maxxed out the insurance policy and we got zero coverage.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 May 2020, 11:01 pm

I knew a single woman who used to pay a little bit of attention to me. Before she retired she used to own 40 vet practices .....I think I could have given up my day job
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 May 2020, 4:50 am

My sister breeds those little Maltese lap dogs down in Melbourne for extra $ ( not something I morally agree with), and some of the vet bills she’s had are ridiculously expensive, and from what she’s told me , they try really hard to talk her into overnight observations. Easy money for the vet I guess. It’s more about making money than caring for the animals ina lot of cases. But then again so is the human medical field. They make a lot of money out of cancer, anyone remember the news stories on the horse cream that made melanoma dry up and fall off ? I can’t find any mention of it in google search. :wtf:
Get well soon blr, maybe buying yourself another toy will make ya feel better mate :P
And a rifle won’t bite :lol:

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 May 2020, 10:55 am

Thanks rich , I sort of have enough room in the safe to jam a pump in there somewhere
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey