NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by moudzj » 27 May 2020, 10:32 am

Very interesting.

I guess, in a sense, we cant be mad with the FAR. I am sure atleast 50% of applications are incomplete or pure rubbish, and, whether we like it or not, it takes some serious resources to get through these types of applications. Definitely more than complete, proper ones.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 28 May 2020, 8:03 am

Another day, and mine is still not showing valid. I tried Service NSW yesterday but they couldn't assist. I will try the FAR this morning to see if there is a hold up they can identify.

I am not confident my license will turn up tomorrow like other peoples timelines.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 28 May 2020, 9:17 am

Spoke to FAR. Have to wait 7 to 10 days. Everyone that went valid after a few days is "very lucky", normally that doesn't happen. Hmmm.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 28 May 2020, 10:50 am

duddley75 wrote:Spoke to FAR. Have to wait 7 to 10 days. Everyone that went valid after a few days is "very lucky", normally that doesn't happen. Hmmm.

How strange. Do you live in a regional part of NSW perhaps ? Maybe they still haven't processed the paperwork at ServiceNSW? Or were late to process it for whatever reason?

Really really hope my card arrives tomorrow.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 28 May 2020, 10:59 am

moudzj wrote:
duddley75 wrote:Spoke to FAR. Have to wait 7 to 10 days. Everyone that went valid after a few days is "very lucky", normally that doesn't happen. Hmmm.

How strange. Do you live in a regional part of NSW perhaps ? Maybe they still haven't processed the paperwork at ServiceNSW? Or were late to process it for whatever reason?

Really really hope my card arrives tomorrow.

Nope in Sydney. Just have to wait and see.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 28 May 2020, 1:07 pm

So I am confused.

My licence just showed up in the post....but FAR still says not valid..WTF?????

Another call to FAR, says data not updated. Have to wait for that still before I can do PTA.

However with licence in hand, I think i can still go shopping on Saturday and put a deposit down.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 28 May 2020, 3:59 pm

Wow dud, how strange.

My license also arrived today. Sooooooooooo stoked.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 28 May 2020, 4:18 pm

duddley75 wrote:So I am confused.

My licence just showed up in the post....but FAR still says not valid..WTF?????

Another call to FAR, says data not updated. Have to wait for that still before I can do PTA.

However with licence in hand, I think i can still go shopping on Saturday and put a deposit down.

I imagine you wouldn’t have an issue. The place I went to hardly even looked at my licence. Defiantly didn’t look it up online. I am sure the checks are more strict when your purchasing by just putting a deposit down won’t be a problem. Hopefully it all syncs up on Saturday at the latest
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 28 May 2020, 4:46 pm

You dont need a licence or a PTA to buy a gun, you need one to take possession. Buy whatever you like mate if your PTA is on its way.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duddley75 » 28 May 2020, 5:01 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:You dont need a licence or a PTA to buy a gun, you need one to take possession. Buy whatever you like mate if your PTA is on its way.

Can't apply for PTA yet, licence not showing as valid....yet
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sticks » 30 May 2020, 3:59 am

Cat A/B. 100 days since application. Referred to Service NSW.
sticks
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 30 May 2020, 9:31 am

So license now valid.
Can't apply for PTA yet. (I am guessing in a day or so)

Having said that I put a deposit on rifle and scope this morning. :D
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 30 May 2020, 10:30 am

duddley75 wrote:So license now valid.

Awesome, hahah.

Ive also put a deposit down on a S/S Howa 1500 in .308 & LA101 in .17HMR.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 30 May 2020, 11:52 am

moudzj wrote:
duddley75 wrote:So license now valid.

Awesome, hahah.

Ive also put a deposit down on a S/S Howa 1500 in .308 & LA101 in .17HMR.

Excellent choice. Mine is on a Howa 1500 308 in MDT ESS chassis.

I had a look at a few Tikka hunting rifles as well. I do want to check the Lithgows out first.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 31 May 2020, 8:36 am

PTA lodged 31/05

Originally applied for license 31/01 , so 4 months all up.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 31 May 2020, 6:14 pm

Good to see things are speeding up for you guys. Hopefully it stays that way.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 31 May 2020, 11:22 pm

Very recently applied for NSW A/B after having moved over the border from VIC, funny thing that car/bike licence was transferred in 30 mins at no cost, NSW recognised term remaining on VIC licence.
No such thing with Firearms Licence "pay us $200.00 and if we knock you back we keep the $$$".
I have a printed acknowledgement of application and VIC licence expires in Nov '23 so the lazy buggers can take their time.
Great to be out of VIC, I wanted out of Melbourne and moved to Albury but did not consider Wodonga, I have possibly irrational fears for the future of The Workers Paradise.
Possibly but very probably not irrational.
Must say that the VIC Firearms Registry have always been very good, also VICPOL DFOs.
BTW just as I was about to move from SE Melbourne I had a no notice visit from the DFO and Assistant, most pleasant folk.
When I remarked that this was first inspection in 30+ years he explained that the job had previously been held by soon to retire Sergeants.
If you are in the Knox DFO area keep it tidy, this bloke intends to do the job properly which certainly is a good thing.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by reapercat » 02 Jun 2020, 8:08 am

duddley75 wrote:
reapercat wrote:Referred to Service NSW this morning, 102 days from 11/2/2020.

Going on current form,you should receive your letter from Service NSW next Friday.

Yep, arrived up here on Friday, Valid this morning. Hopefully PTAs tomorrow. :D
reapercat
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MarkW » 03 Jun 2020, 1:04 pm

Hi
Very new to this, put in a new license app for Cat A/B more than 100 days ago and still waiting. Is the 1st time PTA going to take a further 100 days? can I lodge the application for it without the license issue just to hurry things up.

Mark
MarkW
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 03 Jun 2020, 2:41 pm

MarkW wrote:Hi
Very new to this, put in a new license app for Cat A/B more than 100 days ago and still waiting. Is the 1st time PTA going to take a further 100 days? can I lodge the application for it without the license issue just to hurry things up.

Mark

1st PTA will take ¬30 days or so. Can only lodge it when your license becomes VALID.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 03 Jun 2020, 3:11 pm

Mark

Not in NSW. In QLD you can submit a PTA when you submit your licence to minimise the wait time When your licence gets approved the PTA will get approved. Sometimes the PTA will even arrive before the licence does.But you cant use one without the other.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sticks » 03 Jun 2020, 10:51 pm

Mark

If your timeline happens to be similar to mine... at about 4am on Saturday you might find it's been referred to service nsw for photo. Some people have had shorter waits, some longer, so ymmv. Then you've got about a week to wait for the letter. Then a few days after you've taken the photo I think it goes "Valid", then the next day (?) you can apply for your PTA. I'm hazy on the timing for the last part... I'm waiting for my letter at the moment.
sticks
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 04 Jun 2020, 10:06 pm

sticks wrote:Then a few days after you've taken the photo I think it goes "Valid", then the next day (?) you can apply for your PTA. I'm hazy on the timing for the last part... I'm waiting for my letter at the moment.

Sounds right.

From memory they go “valid” on a Friday night / early Saturday morning. You check this on the FAR online check. (Its like it gets processed with all the “Referred to ServiceNSW” status changes as well)

Then, overnight the same Saturday/ Sunday morning it’s like the status gets transferred to the ServiceNSW computers (where you apply and submit your application for a PTA).

That’s how I remember it - I couldn’t apply for my first PTA til the Sunday night. I think I received my photo licence card before it went valid online.

MarkW wrote:can I lodge the application for it without the license issue just to hurry things up

As the PTA application is online via ServiceNSW, the system won’t let you lodge an application until you are “valid”. So I don’t think there’s any way around it ..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sticks » 05 Jun 2020, 1:25 pm

Got my photo advice letter today. Postie put it in my neighbour's letterbox by mistake... Lucky for me we checked our letterboxes at the same time.
sticks
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by dyllanb » 06 Jun 2020, 2:33 pm

So now 119 days from application (8th February) and still hasn't changed from 'new application in progress'. I don't have a driver's licence so that could potentially account for a bit of a hold up as they might have to work out who I am manually. I'm hoping next week. They really know how do drag the process out don't they?
dyllanb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MarkW » 09 Jun 2020, 7:41 pm

WooooHooo
Status has finally changed - NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS
Maybe I get a letter by Friday, fingers crossed.
MarkW
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 09 Jun 2020, 11:15 pm

What date did you put your application in
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by themarksman » 10 Jun 2020, 7:01 am

My 28 days PTA cooling off period expires today. 176 days and counting so far.
themarksman
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by MarkW » 10 Jun 2020, 9:15 am

Cmr83 wrote:What date did you put your application in

22 February - 107 days as the change happened on the public holiday and I noted it the next day.
MarkW
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 10 Jun 2020, 10:09 am

themarksman wrote:My 28 days PTA cooling off period expires today. 176 days and counting so far.

I will be interested to see how long it takes for the PTA to be approved and issued.

I am at 10 days for my PTA.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws