Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Post by Rwd22 » 01 Jun 2020, 5:12 pm

CTW wrote:
CTW wrote:Applied for Cat H on 16 January - Approved 28 May. Exactly 19 weeks. Hopeful that the card and PTA will not be too far away.
AB licence held since Feb 2016.

Applied for PTA 21 January and approved 01 June.
Now just the card.

That's great news mate, hopefully you have the card in your hands shortly! Looking forward to applying for Cat H in about 3 weeks time.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dazed and Confused » 01 Jun 2020, 5:21 pm

Applied for a PTA on the 21st May and received approval today. Not a bad turn around.
Dazed and Confused
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 01 Jun 2020, 5:47 pm

Hey CTW, awesome news on the Cat H PTA, mine was submitted 17th Feb so shouldn't be too far away now.
My license card will likely arrive at the end of this week or beginning of next week too.

Still waiting on an update on the pistol ranges, hopefully the early move to stage 2 restriction easing in QLD will help.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 01 Jun 2020, 10:02 pm

rc42 wrote:Hey CTW, awesome news on the Cat H PTA, mine was submitted 17th Feb so shouldn't be too far away now.
My license card will likely arrive at the end of this week or beginning of next week too.

Still waiting on an update on the pistol ranges, hopefully the early move to stage 2 restriction easing in QLD will help.

Which range do you shoot at rc? My club announced they'll be opening a week earlier than expected, on the 6th of June, originally was going to be 13th.

Had the club put in a PTA for me on a Shadow 2, got that all sorted today and pistol is now sitting at the range waiting for me, can't wait to swing on my own instead of the town bike club gun :lol:
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 01 Jun 2020, 11:58 pm

Brisbane SSAA, still waiting on the updated announcement for range opening and conditions, they are trying to get clarification about whether it's 20 people per range or 20 on the whole site (the latter would be stupid and unworkable but this is a Labor government so actually seems more likely)

I really hope I don't have to spend too much time with a new un-fired pistol in my safe waiting for the range to open
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 Jun 2020, 8:14 am

Cat H PTA email approval came through this morning, before 8am.
All I need now is for the card to arrive and in a couple of days I can collect my firearm.

Then I just need the range to open so I have somewhere to use it.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 02 Jun 2020, 8:31 am

Good stuff mate. You have had a long blood wait man.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 Jun 2020, 3:36 pm

OMG... What a day...

Just checked the post and my Cat H license card is here, the wait is finally over...

Just a PTA to arrive at the dealer needed, which will probably be tomorrow, then I can collect my pistol.

Then I can clean it and polish it and look at and then clean and polish and look some more and repeat until the range opens
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Macross » 02 Jun 2020, 4:18 pm

Congrats rc42!!! nothing like that little bit of plastic turning up to make your day. Second only to the day you walk into the LGS and slap it on the table to pick up ya baby!!! What did you get?
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 Jun 2020, 5:05 pm

Ruger Mk IV Hunter, should do nicely as a jack of all trades pistol for all of the different events.
I'm really looking forward to trying the action events that are only available to licensed shooters and I certainly won't miss borrowing and sharing the club guns that nobody has ever sighted in.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CTW » 02 Jun 2020, 6:00 pm

rc42 wrote:OMG... What a day...

Just checked the post and my Cat H license card is here, the wait is finally over...

Just a PTA to arrive at the dealer needed, which will probably be tomorrow, then I can collect my pistol.

Then I can clean it and polish it and look at and then clean and polish and look some more and repeat until the range opens

That is great news RC! It has been a long road. I think we almost set a record for longest Cat H wait. If SSAA are not open when you get the pistol, there is a small indoor range in Bremner Road Rothwell. I think they charge $20 a visit. I am also a member at SSAA but will probably use Rothwell to sight it in and get used to it.
CTW
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 Jun 2020, 7:15 pm

Hey CTW, thanks for the tip, I found their web page, open Tues to Thurs till 8:30pm and $20 for other club members

http://www.k2security.com.au/home-secur ... stol-club/
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Calister » 02 Jun 2020, 10:50 pm

Rwd22 wrote:
rc42 wrote:Hey CTW, awesome news on the Cat H PTA, mine was submitted 17th Feb so shouldn't be too far away now.

Which range do you shoot at rc? My club announced they'll be opening a week earlier than expected, on the 6th of June, originally was going to be 13th.

Had the club put in a PTA for me on a Shadow 2, got that all sorted today and pistol is now sitting at the range waiting for me, can't wait to swing on my own instead of the town bike club gun :lol:

Would your club happen to be HIPC? I just put in my PTA 2 or so weeks ago for my Shadow 2 as well :D Just at 16 weeks now so hopefully it is processed soon and I can pickup my shadow 2 for some fun at HIPC.
Last edited by Calister on 03 Jun 2020, 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howa 1500 223 24" / CZ 452 Ultralux 22lr / ATA 686B / SHS STP12 / M38 Swedish Mauser / FN Mauser 30-06 / Swiss K31 /Swiss 1911 / Swiss 1889 / Steyr M95 x2 / Martini Cadet 310 / P14 Enfield
Soon: CZ Shadow 2 / Webley & Scott 912k
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 02 Jun 2020, 11:02 pm

Congrats RC42. You been waiting a long time mate. Another year or so and you will be shooting 45s mate.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 03 Jun 2020, 10:41 am

Calister wrote:
Rwd22 wrote:

Would your club happen to be HIPC? I just put in my PTA 2 or so weeks ago for my Shadow 2 as well :D Just at 16 weeks now so hopefully it is processed soon and I can pickup my shadow 2 for some fun at HIPC.

Good stuff mate, yeah Hillcrest is my local club. I'm about 3 weeks from applying for my Cat H, let the long journey begin :crazy: Just happy I have my own pistol there available to use, saves on ammo costs, but when I break this one it costs me instead of giving the club gun a hiding :lol:
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Calister » 03 Jun 2020, 5:13 pm

Rwd22 wrote:Good stuff mate, yeah Hillcrest is my local club. I'm about 3 weeks from applying for my Cat H, let the long journey begin :crazy: Just happy I have my own pistol there available to use, saves on ammo costs, but when I break this one it costs me instead of giving the club gun a hiding :lol:

Hope wait times are less when you go to do your licence application. How've you been finding the shadow 2?
Howa 1500 223 24" / CZ 452 Ultralux 22lr / ATA 686B / SHS STP12 / M38 Swedish Mauser / FN Mauser 30-06 / Swiss K31 /Swiss 1911 / Swiss 1889 / Steyr M95 x2 / Martini Cadet 310 / P14 Enfield
Soon: CZ Shadow 2 / Webley & Scott 912k
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 04 Jun 2020, 8:06 am

Calister wrote:
Rwd22 wrote:Good stuff mate, yeah Hillcrest is my local club. I'm about 3 weeks from applying for my Cat H, let the long journey begin :crazy: Just happy I have my own pistol there available to use, saves on ammo costs, but when I break this one it costs me instead of giving the club gun a hiding :lol:

Hope wait times are less when you go to do your licence application. How've you been finding the shadow 2?

Me too, hopefully things settle and speed up abit. I really like the Shadow 2, have put alot of rounds through the club pistol with pretty good results. Couldn't decide between the shadow 2 and a 1911/2011 platform, but a used Shadow 2 came up at a good price so I jumped on it. I'll have to add a 1911/2011 down the track :lol:
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 04 Jun 2020, 1:37 pm

Got my PTA approval today to use for the TAC12. Cant wait for them to arrive in country.Should be any week now.

How good do they look hey. A Benelli M4 but bolt action.
Attachments
T12.PNG
T12.PNG (1.8 MiB) Viewed 5629 times
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 04 Jun 2020, 1:59 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:Got my PTA approval today to use for the TAC12. Cant wait for them to arrive in country.Should be any week now.

How good do they look hey. A Benelli M4 but bolt action.

I put mine in a day after you mate and got approval the next day. They must read your posts.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 04 Jun 2020, 2:06 pm

Patriot wrote:
I put mine in a day after you mate and got approval the next day. They must read your posts.

HaHa. Probably mate. :drinks: They hate me because if it was up to me they would be patrolling the streets ensuring public safety instead of sitting in an air con office doing nothing worth wild.. :sarcasm:
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 04 Jun 2020, 3:00 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:
Patriot wrote:

HaHa. Probably mate. :drinks: They hate me because if it was up to me they would be patrolling the streets ensuring public safety instead of sitting in an air con office doing nothing worth wild.. :sarcasm:

Any updates on your 338lap mag AC? Curious to see how you're going with it. I'm looking forward to my 300prc, still a ways off by the looks of things.

Interested to see how you find the recoil kick versus other cartridges, 12G should be a bit of fun, I've never got behind one but have a slight longing to add a shotgun to the collection.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Jun 2020, 3:44 pm

Update on Queensland Weapon Licence Procedures are changing... (thanks SSAA)

NEW LICENCE APPLICATION PROCESS UPDATE – From QLD Weapons Licensing
02 June 2020
Good Afternoon,
The Queensland Police Service has partnered with Australia Post to update the way new
weapons licence applications are lodged both online and in-person.
From 18 June 2020, new weapons licence applications will be received via Australia Post.
As part of the new process, when applicants lodge a new licence application online, they will
need go to their local participating Post Office to confirm their identity. For applications
completed manually on a form downloaded from Weapons Licensing, applicants will be
asked to attend a Post Office with the application form and supporting documentation for
processing.
For areas where participating Post Offices are not available, such as some rural and remote
communities, new weapons licence applications can still be completed at police stations,
however, we encourage the use of Australia Post outlets where-ever possible as this will
assist with gaining business efficiencies and faster processing times in Weapons Licensing.
The Queensland Police Service is committed to data security and the protection of the
applicant’s privacy. All information collected by Australia Post will be transmitted to the
Queensland Police Service via secure file transfer protocols. Business rules and timelines
have also been developed to ensure there is no retention of personal data by Australia Post
beyond that required for digitising applications, identity verification and the transfer of
information to Weapons Licensing for processing and case assessment.
All other weapons application types are to continue being lodged at Queensland police
stations or on the Queensland Police Service website.
To enable the transition to this new system, the Weapons Applications Online (WAO) portal
on the Queensland Police Service website will be offline from 5 June 2020 to 18 June 2020.
All other online systems such as Permits to Acquire will remain accessible. Persons wishing
to apply for a weapons application during this period of unavailability will be asked to
manually complete an application form and lodge it via a police station for processing.
Weapons Licensing would appreciate this information regarding the WAO portal being
offline for new licence applications from 5 June 2020 being provided to your members.
Kind regards,
D W BUST
INSPECTOR
WEAPONS LICENSING pears that Queensland Weapon Licence Application procedures will be changing -
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by anmars73 » 04 Jun 2020, 8:56 pm

CTW wrote:
anmars73 wrote:My wait times.

Applied for LIC and PTA - 21/02/2020
Got ID visit to local Police station email - 06/03/2020
Email Confirmation of Licence - 15/05/2020
Licence in mail - 25/05/2020

hoping my PTA gets emailed to the dealer soon ,as I applied withing 5 minutes of the licence.

That is great. Enjoy.
Was that for a Cat AB or Cat H?

Sorry haven't checked here for a bit, It was CATB Bolt .223, as of now PTA still hasn't arrived...
I have maybe foolishly applied for another hoping it arrives before another 4 months ..
anmars73
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by anmars73 » 04 Jun 2020, 9:01 pm

RuinedNoodle wrote:
anmars73 wrote:My wait times.

Applied for LIC and PTA - 21/02/2020
Got ID visit to local Police station email - 06/03/2020
Email Confirmation of Licence - 15/05/2020
Licence in mail - 25/05/2020

hoping my PTA gets emailed to the dealer soon ,as I applied withing 5 minutes of the licence.

Congrats. Astounding that they approved your license at 12 weeks exactly.

Thanks.
I think I got lucky and it was in flight before the restrictions, as above my PTA seems to got lost somewhere, Have emailed well after 20 weeks with no reply as yet.
anmars73
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RuinedNoodle » 04 Jun 2020, 10:11 pm

There hasn't been any delays with A/B PTAs, if anything they seem to be getting those out even faster than before. It would help to contact them about it at this point.
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 05 Jun 2020, 7:03 am

Rwd22 wrote:Any updates on your 338lap mag AC? Curious to see how you're going with it. I'm looking forward to my 300prc, still a ways off by the looks of things.

Interested to see how you find the recoil kick versus other cartridges, 12G should be a bit of fun, I've never got behind one but have a slight longing to add a shotgun to the collection.

Hey mate. Yeah Its in the safe. I got a bi pod on order. I need to save for a few more months to get a good scope and some rings. So until then i wont be doing any shooting of it. Is your 300prc the ruger?
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 05 Jun 2020, 7:09 am

RoginaJack wrote:Update on Queensland Weapon Licence Procedures are changing... (thanks SSAA)

NEW LICENCE APPLICATION PROCESS UPDATE – From QLD Weapons Licensing
02 June 2020
Good Afternoon,
The Queensland Police Service has partnered with Australia Post to update the way new
weapons licence applications are lodged both online and in-person.
From 18 June 2020, new weapons licence applications will be received via Australia Post.
As part of the new process, when applicants lodge a new licence application online, they will
need go to their local participating Post Office to confirm their identity. For applications
completed manually on a form downloaded from Weapons Licensing, applicants will be
asked to attend a Post Office with the application form and supporting documentation for
processing.
For areas where participating Post Offices are not available, such as some rural and remote
communities, new weapons licence applications can still be completed at police stations,
however, we encourage the use of Australia Post outlets where-ever possible as this will
assist with gaining business efficiencies and faster processing times in Weapons Licensing.
The Queensland Police Service is committed to data security and the protection of the
applicant’s privacy. All information collected by Australia Post will be transmitted to the
Queensland Police Service via secure file transfer protocols. Business rules and timelines
have also been developed to ensure there is no retention of personal data by Australia Post
beyond that required for digitising applications, identity verification and the transfer of
information to Weapons Licensing for processing and case assessment.
All other weapons application types are to continue being lodged at Queensland police
stations or on the Queensland Police Service website.
To enable the transition to this new system, the Weapons Applications Online (WAO) portal
on the Queensland Police Service website will be offline from 5 June 2020 to 18 June 2020.
All other online systems such as Permits to Acquire will remain accessible. Persons wishing
to apply for a weapons application during this period of unavailability will be asked to
manually complete an application form and lodge it via a police station for processing.
Weapons Licensing would appreciate this information regarding the WAO portal being
offline for new licence applications from 5 June 2020 being provided to your members.
Kind regards,
D W BUST
INSPECTOR
WEAPONS LICENSING pears that Queensland Weapon Licence Application procedures will be changing -

So instead of going to the police station for the ID check they want you to go to Aus Post then Aus Post sends the information to Weapons licencing? This is kind of like how NSW does it. They get their ID checked at the main roads department.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 05 Jun 2020, 8:42 am

AussieCapitalist wrote:
Rwd22 wrote:Any updates on your 338lap mag AC? Curious to see how you're going with it. I'm looking forward to my 300prc, still a ways off by the looks of things.

Hey mate. Yeah Its in the safe. I got a bi pod on order. I need to save for a few more months to get a good scope and some rings. So until then i wont be doing any shooting of it. Is your 300prc the ruger?

Ahh ok, Yeah the price of a good scope is a fair bit to chew, haha. Nah, 300PRC will be based of a Howa action in another MDT chassis set-up, haven't decided on glass yet, few good options out there that I'm focusing on, again the price is the hard bit to chew.

Are you shooting any of your others yet? I remember you saying you had a few PTA's rolling, 338 was the only one that came to mind as I was curious about how you went with the ruger.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Jun 2020, 2:51 pm

Att. Aussie Capitalist
Going by my past experience, this may take the load of local country police and lead to a more efficient system.
Received notice from W.L.B. to front & present I.D. Docs to local police station.
After a week or 2, I sent an email of to W.L.B. confirming I'd presented at said station with I.D. docs etc. Very shortly after got a call from W.L.B. checking above statement and requesting details, date etc. as W.L.B. has no record of attendance etc., and considered that I had decided I did not want to proceed and therefore intended to cancel my application.
After a exchange of information and a quick trip into the station, re-present my I.D. docs. and a confirmation call to W.L.B. all was back on track.
It appears that my I.D. conformation notice got filed at the local police station instead of being forwarded to W.L.B.
Now, everyone makes mistakes but.... :)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by brian » 10 Jun 2020, 3:12 pm

25-2 licence application
11-3 id 14-3pta 29-5 advised licence in the post
9-5 e mail pta approved 10-6 pta at dealers

The wait is getting intence - Tika 243
I will remember at the next qld election
brian