New Quadbike regulations

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

New Quadbike regulations

Post by AussieCapitalist » 19 Jun 2020, 5:03 pm

With the new quadbike regulations coming in October 2021 a mass shortage of Quads are on the market and orders may not get filled before the deadline. The major players Honda, Yamaha and even Polaris say the cant meet the new regulations and will probably pull out of the Australian market. The ACCC are so out of touch that they cant understand why there is a market shortage with over a year to go until the new regulations come in. If you are after a new quad BUY IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or if you are thinking of putting it off another year the price on the used market will go up.

https://www.northqueenslandregister.com ... s/?cs=4770

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-17/ ... t/12355734
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: New Quadbike regulations

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jun 2020, 6:17 pm

Sorry mate. about 18 or 20 die a year as a result of roll overs. ROP would not cost a manufacturer more that say $150 to install on the production line and the user will pay.

As usual its about $ (industry profit) and they do not GAF about the deaths of your work mates. (or perhaps you)

ROP have been in place on tractors, forklifts etc for about 20 years now, nothing new mate.

My God, it was the end of the world when car makers were forced to install seat belts in cars in the 70s. We all survived. Excuse the pun.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jun 2020, 6:25 pm

Tractor No ROP.jpg
Tractor No ROP.jpg (19.12 KiB) Viewed 7723 times

Tractor ROP.jpg
Tractor ROP.jpg (22.58 KiB) Viewed 7723 times

Big deal
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 19 Jun 2020, 8:04 pm

The major player wont fit em to our market because it then leaves them exposed to massive laws suits in the USA.

My brother attended the death of teenager boy and Rop would more than likely have saved his life.

A mate of mine was running a property farm out west and a workers girlfriend jump on a quad and went over a contour bank too fast, the back rack of the quad broke her neck, ropes may have save her life.....

Just like roll cages on tractors that saved many a reckless farmer life, Rop would save many lives. :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 19 Jun 2020, 8:50 pm

The issue is fellas, that the manufacturers have simply decided that our market is too small so we will get none. That is the problem. A number have confirmed this already. So while you suggest fitting ROP is simple enough, there will be no new machines to fit them to.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 19 Jun 2020, 9:40 pm

Demand will be there so someone will supply them.

I wouldnt be surprised if someone grey imports Yamahondasuzuki and fits a Rop system and they sell like hot cakes :thumbsup:

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 20 Jun 2020, 1:10 pm

I like your positivity guys but I think this will cause chaos in the market and the suppliers will pull out.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 20 Jun 2020, 2:48 pm

Like I said AC if the official suppliers pull out then Grey Importer will laugh all the way to the bank, they will fill 40ft shipping containers with 20 plus quad, fit a generic Rop system and move em like hot cakes. And we will pay about 20% less.

If owners want to remove a Rop from their bike because of the terrain and bush then that would be their risk.

Facts are of the the 15,000 Quads in Australia with Rop set up their hasnt been a single death.

We have a total of 186,000 quads in OZ with 16 death a year and 6 hospital admission per day. :thumbsup:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by glenn777 » 20 Jun 2020, 2:49 pm

So basically turning a quad into an ATV like a Can-Am?
glenn777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jun 2020, 4:22 pm

My quad has a lockable dog cage on the back and 360 degree rifle shooting rests everywhere else ...so it’s sort of like a roll cage but I just can’t see my self drunk doing somersaults down the hill at 50 k per hour in the dark ,so I’ll just have to poke along quietly riding the quad sensibly
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jun 2020, 7:01 pm

There are several very simple (and bloody cheap) designs out there. Lol Someone will fill the gap in the market. And make a killing. The main players will then return. No problems.

One of the reasons they don't want to fit them is they don't look "cool and those that use them for recreation wont like them.

SFA to do with litigation.

And BTW, if they are removed, and it's a workplace and there is a serious injury or fatality, then someone is going to get prosecuted.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 20 Jun 2020, 7:08 pm

Blr243 wrote:My quad has a lockable dog cage on the back and 360 degree rifle shooting rests everywhere else ...so it’s sort of like a roll cage but I just can’t see my self drunk doing somersaults down the hill at 50 k per hour in the dark ,so I’ll just have to poke along quietly riding the quad sensibly

Unless the legislation applies retrospectively, you probably don't need to worry too much.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jun 2020, 7:27 pm

Oh, and BTW. A couple of years ago Worksafe Vic offered to fit them FREE for farmers. Not many took up the offer.
Well it's my bet in a couple of years it will become mandatory they be retrospectively fitted, at the cost of the farmer.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 20 Jun 2020, 10:30 pm

This is old news, several manufacturers including Yamaha, Polaris and I think Honda have already stated that they are withdrawing quad bikes from the AU market. Obviously this may not affect current owners, but in the longer term, parts availability may kill them off anyway.

Without meaning any offence to anyone, I did notice that with the most recent farm death I recall seeing in Vic, was a child killed in a side by side, with ROPS (cabin) roll over.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jun 2020, 10:48 pm

Sarco wrote:This is old news, several manufacturers including Yamaha, Polaris and I think Honda have already stated that they are withdrawing quad bikes from the AU market. Obviously this may not affect current owners, but in the longer term, parts availability may kill them off anyway.

Without meaning any offence to anyone, I did notice that with the most recent farm death I recall seeing in Vic, was a child killed in a side by side, with ROPS (cabin) roll over.

That's not good. Very sad. But like most safety devices they lower the risk, but rarely 100% guarantee.

Bit like putting a toddler in front seat of car with adult seat belt. Used for the wrong purpose. Outside of the design parameters.

I think its pretty clear ROPs save lives.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by perentie » 21 Jun 2020, 7:23 am

I have a pop up ad here now in front of me for CFMOTO AG Bike compliant . The pic just has what looks like sprung single pole sticking up from the back of the quad. Looks simple enough.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Jun 2020, 10:55 am

Are we also going to have to fit them to motorbikes, horses, pushbikes, ladders,....?
Plenty of people die using those as well. It is just more "bubble-wrapping" to protect people from themselves.
By the way, for R.O.P.S to be effective, the operator needs to be restrained to prevent ejection, do you then fit seat belts to them as well?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 21 Jun 2020, 11:42 am

The ATV Lifeguard is a simple set up and solution Gamerancher, and its easy to see why it will help alot of the potential crush impact death type deaths we currently get

https://youtu.be/p1YTaJqdUm4

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Jun 2020, 11:51 am

Yeah Bill, looks wonderful and so long as you go off backwards, looks like it will not hurt you. Just don't go over the handlebars.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 21 Jun 2020, 12:03 pm

Id have thought it would be pretty costly for an overseas manufacturor to fit ROP to a quad on the production line.
Its about having to re-tool for everything, & maybe even make drastic changes to the assembly line in both order & personel. :unknown:

But then if they have an external distributor use an independant contractor to fit the equipment, the cost also goes up exponentially.
Because they will then be resonsible for warranty repairs on faults potentially caused by these independants.--say a weld failed which caused the ROP to fail & someone died-- & all because someone drove a quad in an inappropriate way with the misconception this new ROP will save them... :crazy:

Bottom line, i just see this all as being greed & power based...
Someone has sued somewhere, & partial blame wouldve been placed on manufacturor for lack of protection due to the Judges final summary.

Gamersncher is right...its just bubble wrapping--a Govt dictating you are too stupid to take resonsibility for yourself, so we will controll you as we see fit.

Its a bloody joke...this kind of rubbish just serves to make people more stupid due to encouraging them to not have to think & take resonsibility for themselves, serves to waste money on administration & put money into the pockets of insurance Co's...
It also does nothing for the industry, because people saving for one for recreational use will possibly pull out & spend money elsewhere...

Seriously...when do we start litigating our skinning knife manufacturors for cutting ourselves...?? :roll:
FFS... :unknown:...

When will folding skinner knives be illegal to use unless we've done a partial butchering certificate & carry extra personal injury insurance... :roll:

What about someone litigate the pig farmer because the bacon spat burning rendered fat on their hand & it hurt & caused great psycological distress...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 21 Jun 2020, 4:26 pm

Some states were paying for them and they have been designed to fit current models Stix, and as already mentioned this is no diff to the small tractors law that had mandated adoption of roll cages for obvious reason. I remember dad buying a cage for the 454 and we built and painted a roof for it, even used the correct inter paint.

Stix most quad deaths occur from roller overs. Death is either crushing, ashyxiation or head injuries. No retooling required as the aftermarket industry will utilize points already established for trays :drinks:
Last edited by Bill on 21 Jun 2020, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 21 Jun 2020, 4:38 pm

Fair enough Bill...i just imagine the potential of moulds for guards/trims etc making costs exponentially more than they need be....especially after & if in house engineering has to bend to suit unreasonable guidelines...
After all, there would be a financial reason for these companies choosing to withdraw from the market--its this that leads me to brainstorming the possible reasons ive come up with..

Then in the courts, how is civil action litigated & mitigated between manufacturor & aftermarket supplier...?...can of worms stuff to me... :unknown:

In any case, on the surface its stupidity none the less...surely there are better ways to approach risk management... :unknown:

People have the choice, & make this conscious choice to purchase a quad with or without this protection, & they know the risks involved...so i see no need for more stringent regs, that not only remove peoples choice, but also put unnecessary burden on an industry & potentially enable more litigation...

Its just litigation controlled madness really... :crazy:

Especially if you say aftermarket solutions are already freely available...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 21 Jun 2020, 4:47 pm

Ive watched the videos Stix and they just make so much sense, I'm am dead set idiot and hoon when it comes to trail bikes but after a few near high sides on quads they are just dangerous pricks, especially the under powered Honda 400/420 :lol:

https://youtu.be/PVztNgjT68g

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 21 Jun 2020, 5:02 pm

Stix this is all about the USA based Quad industry resisting change over a few bucks, they arent interested in rider safety

The US auto industry was the same and resisted every single opportunity to make cars safer citing rising costs as the major factor.

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 21 Jun 2020, 6:43 pm

Yep fair enough...you know way more than me so ill take your word for it...

Im obviously just plagued with my own demons about how industry changes usually happen in this country, & how our Govt's poorly administer these changes...

But to be honest, i have experience--all be it limited--back when i was early thirties, a young fella prob around 17, took me on a shortcut on a quad to a bunny & fox spot that meant we travelled through a creek & over some pretty rough & dangerous land...
So against my extremely vocal (being polite here) objections, he driving, as a joke, directed the quad up a steep slope in darkness & jumped to safety laughing uncontrollably at the accident that was about to happen...i was of course straddled & wrong-sided on the cargo carrier with a loaded 12G.

Thankfully ive always been pretty athletic & had lightning fast reflexes & had already braced myself for a safe ejection knowing what was coming...so after coming to a safe halt, i had the last laugh while the quad veered toward him, toppled end over end nearly landing on him like in that clip you show, but just missed him, & ended in the bottom of the creek & needed the tractor, neighbouring farmer & 2 winches & a full day wasted to recover it...

I seriously wanted to do some worthy damage to this spoilt stupid little kunt & toss him down in the creek with the quad :twisted: --but you know how it is..firearms owner n all..& he's only a kid...ffs... :roll:
I had no problems letting the farmer know what i thought in him finding it amusing...

Anyway, thats where my common sense issues arise from...

If you say its the manufacturors & not overly regulated power hungry administrators here, then ill take your word for it... :unknown:

Sadly i cant afford one anyway... :thumbsdown:
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Jun 2020, 6:57 pm

Well I've been convinced no more helmets for motorbikes remove all seat belts from Cars trucks & forklifts. Let's not have licences for trucks & cars or air craft. Lets allow people to drive their vehicles pissed. Forget about having an electrician or gas fitter thats qualified doing the electrical and gas work on a house yep I think you're right stixs let's just get rid of all that safety stuff. It cost money. Fuk it costs, fuk it costs. Mmmm but so do funerals.

Come to think if it, fuk off brakes on cars, just slow us down. And fuk off all trades, any wanker can build a house frame. They never fail.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Jun 2020, 9:16 pm

Common conversation over heard daily by motor police - It’s not fair that I crashed and got injured, I was doing 58 in a 60 zone - surely, if there is danger of injury, I should have only been allowed to do 50... or 40....who do I speak to about this?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Strangedog » 05 Aug 2020, 9:59 pm

Be dangerous going under a low tree with one on.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Aug 2020, 8:50 am

Bill pretty much sums the problem up with his admission, " I'm am dead set idiot and hoon when it comes to trail bikes"

You can't make anything IDIOT proof.

My quads are used for mustering stock, inspecting crops, checking watering points and weed spraying. With the chemical tank on board there is no way to attach one of these structures. Would also be impossible to get around in the scrub chasing stock. Quads are just a tool. Used correctly, they are less dangerous than a chainsaw or a rifle for that matter. Any tool used incorrectly, or in the hands of a fool, becomes dangerous indeed.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Aug 2020, 9:34 am

Gamerancher wrote:Bill pretty much sums the problem up with his admission, " I'm am dead set idiot and hoon when it comes to trail bikes"

You can't make anything IDIOT proof.

My quads are used for mustering stock, inspecting crops, checking watering points and weed spraying. With the chemical tank on board there is no way to attach one of these structures. Would also be impossible to get around in the scrub chasing stock. Quads are just a tool. Used correctly, they are less dangerous than a chainsaw or a rifle for that matter. Any tool used incorrectly, or in the hands of a fool, becomes dangerous indeed.

Whilst I agree mate - there are an awful lot of fools out there no longer with us who probably had the same mindset. It’s the complacency and it won’t happen to me attitude that gets ppl killed...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation