Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Post by snag » 11 Jun 2020, 6:44 pm

Did an on-line application for a cat H PTA on Thurs 28th May, email approval came on Friday 5th May, paper came in the mail today Thurs 11th June. Exactly 14 days, I gotta say I'm pretty happy with the service.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GlockMaster » 17 Jun 2020, 12:12 pm

Is there anything in the legislation that requires Weapon Licensing to give a verdict on license applications within a certain time-frame? Currently at like 14-15 weeks wait and I emailed them asking what the hold up is, given that in my application receipt it says I can contact them after 12 weeks. Was brushed off with a copy/paste message from their website, saying to not contact them until 20 weeks now. So they have already gone against their word by adding on an additional 8 weeks wait before being allowed to contact them. No accountability whatsoever, WTF did I pay $500 for?
GlockMaster
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 17 Jun 2020, 12:44 pm

You think yours is bad, I know of a guy that waited over two years to receive a QP515 Statement of Eligibility. In the end he got the message and gave up.

Nothing in the legislation. If you complain to the minister you will just get a boilerplate letter about high volumes of applications blah blh blah. Now it probably includes a bonus reference to COVID-19.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 23 Jun 2020, 2:11 pm

Cat H application submitted online today, will be putting through the PTA in the next day or so, let the long wait begin.

Edit: Cat H PTA submitted - 23/6
23/6 - Received Email to attend Auspost to produce proof of indentity within 28 days.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Macross » 25 Jun 2020, 7:20 am

You got the proof of identity email the same day??? Wow if so they must have changed up the process with the post office doing that part. I waited months to get that email.
At least you knew you could PTA your pistols to the club. We never knew that was a thing and both our guns sat in the shop for 2 or 3 months while we waited for licenses. All the while shooting club ammo and guns at $35 a box :o
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Calister » 25 Jun 2020, 9:18 am

Rwd22 wrote:Cat H application submitted online today, will be putting through the PTA in the next day or so, let the long wait begin.

23/6 - Received Email to attend Auspost to produce proof of indentity within 28 days.

That's pretty nice, I'm currently sitting at 19 weeks and 1 day for my Cat H, so hopefully I'll get the approval email soon.

Applied on the 12th of Feb for Cat H licence and Cat H PTA on the 23rd of May.
Howa 1500 223 24" / CZ 452 Ultralux 22lr / ATA 686B / SHS STP12 / M38 Swedish Mauser / FN Mauser 30-06 / Swiss K31 /Swiss 1911 / Swiss 1889 / Steyr M95 x2 / Martini Cadet 310 / P14 Enfield
Soon: CZ Shadow 2 / Webley & Scott 912k
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 25 Jun 2020, 9:41 am

Macross wrote:You got the proof of identity email the same day??? Wow if so they must have changed up the process with the post office doing that part. I waited months to get that email.
At least you knew you could PTA your pistols to the club. We never knew that was a thing and both our guns sat in the shop for 2 or 3 months while we waited for licenses. All the while shooting club ammo and guns at $35 a box :o

Wonder if it will help speed up the process, it was done on their system at Auspost, verify details (Drivers licence, birth cert, etc) Auspost takes your photo, no cost to you and that's it. When I received the application conformation email it states that I'll receive a proof of indentity email within 24 hours, Missus had the same thing with hers, so hopefully it will help them streamline things a little.

Yeah mate, that $35/box was hurting my wallet, haha, average range trip for the missus and I was $140+ :crazy: As soon as that used Shadow 2 came up I jumped on it and I get to purchase additional pistols and keep them at the club :lol:
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 25 Jun 2020, 9:45 am

Calister wrote:
Rwd22 wrote:Cat H application submitted online today, will be putting through the PTA in the next day or so, let the long wait begin.

That's pretty nice, I'm currently sitting at 19 weeks and 1 day for my Cat H, so hopefully I'll get the approval email soon.

Applied on the 12th of Feb for Cat H licence and Cat H PTA on the 23rd of May.

Hopefully not too much longer for you mate, all I ask is that I have mine before xmas, haha. I have my pistol at the club to use whenever I'm there, so not so much of a big deal on the wait time, would be nice to be able to clean it properly at home and not just do a quick once over at the club when I'm leaving though.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RuinedNoodle » 25 Jun 2020, 9:56 am

Macross wrote:You got the proof of identity email the same day??? Wow if so they must have changed up the process with the post office doing that part. I waited months to get that email.

The ID email is automated now, I talked to a guy that made the application on Saturday and received the email on Saturday, Auspost hasn't necessarily made the process faster since all they do is photocopy your ID and send it on to weapons licensing where it goes through the same process as before.
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macross » 25 Jun 2020, 2:21 pm

Yeah, I don't quite get how adding another govt. body into the equation makes it any more streamlined. Although, having said that, I did wonder if my ID check paper work sat on someones desk at the local cop shop for weeks before being processed.. so who knows.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 25 Jun 2020, 4:15 pm

Macross wrote:Yeah, I don't quite get how adding another govt. body into the equation makes it any more streamlined. Although, having said that, I did wonder if my ID check paper work sat on someones desk at the local cop shop for weeks before being processed.. so who knows.

The latter part of what you mentioned is exactly why I'm hoping this might streamline things, when doing my ID check for A+B licence, along with the application to replace my stolen licence, the front desk clerk at the local cop shop didn't instil confidence in me with her tardiness and made mention of WLB should receive the paperwork in up to 5 days, plus who knows how long before it was actually sent off and then WLB let it sit around.

From what I witnessed, Auspost send it through on the spot and generate you a ref No. I'm not thinking it's going to cut weeks off the wait time, but even if it's days, that is a positive.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 25 Jun 2020, 4:23 pm

Seeing as Aus Post looses bulk money and they are planning on shutting down some of their branches I hate the idea. I also do not like the idea of a federal organisation checking my ID seeing as I am going for a QLD firearm licence which the federal government has no say in.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 25 Jun 2020, 6:12 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:Seeing as Aus Post looses bulk money and they are planning on shutting down some of their branches I hate the idea. I also do not like the idea of a federal organisation checking my ID seeing as I am going for a QLD firearm licence which the federal government has no say in.

I understand yours and others concerns, but at the end of the day, Auspost really isn't handling your info, nothing of mine was scanned etc, the only thing they did was take a photo of my mug (Oh No!). I asked old love at the counter and she said they don't even have to enter ID numbers, birth registration etc. They simply enter which type of documents have been presented and voila, cause the reality is, I've already sent WLB this info online with my application. You've made it pretty clear that you hate the Australian process around firearms either way, so Auspost or not, you'd be hard to please.

I'd be totally surprised if 'Big Government' was using this as a means to compile information on firearm owners, considering that if they wish, they can access all of this information anyway.. Exactly why they've taken this measure, I'm unsure.

I know I feel a lot better standing in the post office than I do in the foyer of the cop shop, being eyed by the passing uniforms and old love at the front desk having a fit because I might be/become a firearm owner :lol:
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Calister » 26 Jun 2020, 9:56 am

Rwd22 wrote:I understand yours and others concerns, but at the end of the day, Auspost really isn't handling your info, nothing of mine was scanned etc, the only thing they did was take a photo of my mug (Oh No!). I asked old love at the counter and she said they don't even have to enter ID numbers, birth registration etc. They simply enter which type of documents have been presented and voila, cause the reality is, I've already sent WLB this info online with my application. You've made it pretty clear that you hate the Australian process around firearms either way, so Auspost or not, you'd be hard to please.

I'd be totally surprised if 'Big Government' was using this as a means to compile information on firearm owners, considering that if they wish, they can access all of this information anyway.. Exactly why they've taken this measure, I'm unsure.

I know I feel a lot better standing in the post office than I do in the foyer of the cop shop, being eyed by the passing uniforms and old love at the front desk having a fit because I might be/become a firearm owner :lol:

I'm going to have to agree here, as someone who works at Auspost from time to time as a behind the counter postal officer, the current system that has just been implemented in regards to ID checks is nothing to be concerned about.

In theory if future firearms registry data is stored on Auspost's system, then there may be cause for alarm, but consider this. Passports are a good example of an ID'ing and processing system that already exists within Auspost and has done for years. I'm doubtful that the sensitive passport data of millions of aussies would be treated any differently to firearms registry data in the future.
Howa 1500 223 24" / CZ 452 Ultralux 22lr / ATA 686B / SHS STP12 / M38 Swedish Mauser / FN Mauser 30-06 / Swiss K31 /Swiss 1911 / Swiss 1889 / Steyr M95 x2 / Martini Cadet 310 / P14 Enfield
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Robin » 26 Jun 2020, 4:40 pm

Woohoo, After sending in my AB application in March, I finally get a email today saying my license has been approved, now I have to wait for Australia post to deliver it.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by NM15 » 26 Jun 2020, 9:55 pm

Robin wrote:Woohoo, After sending in my AB application in March, I finally get a email today saying my license has been approved, now I have to wait for Australia post to deliver it.

When in March did you apply Robin? I was 7 March but still waiting.
NM15
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by GlockMaster » 26 Jun 2020, 11:41 pm

Robin wrote:Woohoo, After sending in my AB application in March, I finally get a email today saying my license has been approved, now I have to wait for Australia post to deliver it.

What date did you apply? Congrats mate, hope you have fun down on the range :mrgreen:
GlockMaster
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Robin » 27 Jun 2020, 9:20 am

NM15 wrote:

March 10
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GlockMaster » 27 Jun 2020, 1:49 pm

Well so much for processing license applications in order of receipt then.
GlockMaster
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by NM15 » 27 Jun 2020, 6:21 pm

Robin wrote:
NM15 wrote:

March 10

Hopefully mine will be next week.
NM15
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Calister » 29 Jun 2020, 11:42 am

So bit of an update, I gave WLB a call.

I've learnt that they're currently assessing CAT H applications around the time of my application and that there are roughly 10 ahead of mine.

Apparently they have shifts where they dedicate an officer to handling applications specific to CAT H, so CAT AB probably has a significantly higher shift count resulting in the lower processing times, same for PTAs.

So based on the information provided to me, apparently I should be approved in "the next week or two". So CAT H wait times seem to have increased from 19 weeks to 21 or 22 weeks.
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Insert random name » 29 Jun 2020, 2:30 pm

Hello all, I decided to join and throw my experience in with my wait times. Going for cat A/B license, put in the application, and PTA on the 6/3/20 had the ID email come on the 14/3 and have heard nothing back since apart from an acknowledgement of address details change. You'd think they could have caught up on the applications by now due to the new applications tap being slowed over covid.
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by GlockMaster » 29 Jun 2020, 7:33 pm

Know someone who applied A/B around 10th March that got approved today.
GlockMaster
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 30 Jun 2020, 5:32 pm

I must be getting close then. My A/B application date is 13 February, so 20 werks today. I’ve heard nothing except the id check on 3 March.
Hopefully the email approval will come soon, then another wait for the hard copy from what I understand. I put in 4 PTAs the day after I applied for license.
This would have to be the longest I’ve waited for anything
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by RuinedNoodle » 30 Jun 2020, 5:44 pm

Nails wrote:I must be getting close then. My A/B application date is 13 February, so 20 werks today. I’ve heard nothing except the id check on 3 March.
Hopefully the email approval will come soon, then another wait for the hard copy from what I understand. I put in 4 PTAs the day after I applied for license.
This would have to be the longest I’ve waited for anything

20 weeks for A/B is not normal, look at other posts in this thread. People who put in their applications in February were reporting getting their A/B licenses more than a month ago. It would help to start contacting them as to why yours is taking much longer than others who handed their applications after you.
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 30 Jun 2020, 7:34 pm

Thanks ruined noodle, Will do tomorrow. Only reason I’ve held off id their message on the website saying not to contact before 20 weeks and then only by email.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Insert random name » 01 Jul 2020, 3:01 pm

I just got the you have passed scrutiny email and now to wait for the snail mail and PTA to arrive.
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by NM15 » 02 Jul 2020, 8:46 pm

I got the approval email for my A/B application today. Applied March 7.
Hopefully Aust Post will help to speed things up before I apply for H.
NM15
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jul 2020, 8:50 pm

I got an approval email for cat b on June 25. July 2 the paper pta was in my mailbox
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NM15 » 02 Jul 2020, 9:24 pm

Blr243 wrote:I got an approval email for cat b on June 25. July 2 the paper pta was in my mailbox

Thats nice and quick.
NM15
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws