308 suitable projectiles

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

308 suitable projectiles

Post by Blr243 » 24 Jun 2020, 8:48 am

For a long time I have preferred to use smaller calibres. My first lot of pig shooting was with a ruger mini 14. When 1996 happened and I needed to get a blr 223 I ended up with a 243 because 223 was not available.. I never ever thought I would get a 308 in my lifetime as I always thought it was unnecessarily powerful for my purposes... I have been useing 243 vmax for broadside only shots with great success .. but now I want to be shooting pigs from more angles and on pigs running away. I will b collecting my new rem pump 308 any day now. I like boat tail for ease of bullet seating and I’m fond of hornady accuracy. I want min 150 weight because otherwise there’s no point stepping up from my 243. I don’t like hollow points unless there is a big proper hole like the Sierra 130s. I think about every brand available I keep coming back to the SST OR the flex tips. Let me know please , you 30 cal hunters, what you use and why .....I have no experience hunting with big calibres. Nb I will be reloading. Projectiles 75 dollars per hundred or cheaper is my preferred. I don’t want to be looking at nosler or Barnes ... thank you
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: 308 suitable projectiles

Post by Blr243 » 24 Jun 2020, 8:53 am

From memory I can probably get conventional soft points with exposed tip roughly 20 cents per bullet cheaper than plastic tipped bullets but the saving is not worth the worry when I already trust hornady and I’m a shade nervous about lead tip deformation
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 24 Jun 2020, 9:03 am

for what you are doing Blr and further in distance all you would want is the hornady 150gr interlocks :thumbsup:
l am a fan of the sst's but shoot the interlocks as much, they will more than do the job :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by brinny » 24 Jun 2020, 9:30 am

Been using Woodleigh 165 grn weldcores with pretty good success for a few years now.....Taken a lot of deer with them.....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 24 Jun 2020, 2:01 pm

308 a big calibre....hmmmm

I like 150gn sst pills in mine
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 24 Jun 2020, 6:03 pm

I am a fan of Hornady projectiles mate. I am currently using the 168gr Z Max with fantastic accuracy mate. They perform well on the oinkers too. I know there aren’t many around as they are discontinued however the 165 SST and the 178 ELD X performed exceptionally well also, although I think the 178gr are getting a bit heavy for what I do.
Yes there are cheaper projectiles available however I don’t think $65-70 is to much for what you get. Well actually we get ripped here in Aus compared to what they pay in the US. Nevertheless, not to bad for Aussie prices. I generally wait until a sale and buy in bulk. He recently had some 150SST for quite cheap.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 24 Jun 2020, 6:11 pm

X2 for the 168g z max i love these things they were so cheap when they were available and the best shooting proj i could find for my rifle. And not to mention dropped some big pigs cleanly i wish they were still available.

I bought roughly 3000 of them when i heard the were being canned
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RUGGA » 24 Jun 2020, 8:40 pm

Im new to .308 and think ive settled on 165/8s. zmax, hot cor and game kings have been the best on pigs. Tried 180gn woodleighs which i assume were too stout for low velocity outta my 20inch barrel. 168gn tsx seamed to incapacitate but not kill as fast as the others.
Used some factory 180gn Power points that were fine but those loads were hotter than anything id stoke myself. 2680fps. Ball powder in hot weather im guessing pushed pressure up.

If there wasnt the chance of horses, buff etc in my hunting area id probably use lighter pills for flatter trajectory and more smack. If you go below your 150gn limit The 130gn woodleighs are cheap.
RUGGA
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Ferrisweil » 24 Jun 2020, 9:28 pm

Hey BLR. Is this for a thermal setup? If it is, keep in mind the eye relief of thermal scopes isn’t quite the same as conventional and going to a 308, your projectile size, and powder load may affect the potential for the old “scope eye”.
Just something to think of maybe
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 24 Jun 2020, 9:57 pm

Good point. I had forgotten that. My 243 hits me just a bit 2 per cent of the time when shooting prone ...I read your reminder/ warning ten mins after I bought 200 factory ammo cartridges online ( Winchester with 180 woodlieghs ) They were only 19 bucks for a pack of 20. That’s ppu price so was pretty stoked to get premium bullets already made for that price. Because of astigmatism in my right eye I find I get better focus on the pulsar reticle when I push my eye forward into the flexible rubber eyepiece ....that combined with the 180 bullet recoil could be interesting....Perhaps with the money I saved on the ammo I can buy some bandages for my face
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 24 Jun 2020, 10:25 pm

You could always use a muzzle brake but I’m not a fan as you’ve gotta wear muffs and I need my ears too much on a stalk..
Suppressor would be ideal ;)
Perfect situation for one
There’s also the new subsonic 308 rounds that Winchester has released. Nice for close range stuff...
That’s why I run a 6.5 on my thermal setup. Not cos I have a “man bun” but cos it Has lower recoil and in can still put some decent lead into a pig.
Need that beer for these chats mate
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 25 Jun 2020, 6:07 am

Agree with Ferris re 6.5 Brittany. Good size for thermal me thinks. 308 does have a bit of recoil particularly with the heavier pills, not an issue normally but the eye relief on a thermal being bugger all, it’s something to take into consideration. My scope is rated up to 375 H&H and 9.3x62. Can’t say I’d be a fan of trying that.
Last edited by JimTom on 25 Jun 2020, 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Jun 2020, 1:33 pm

BLR, I use the Speer 150 grain Hotcore with flat nose. They have the aerodynamic profile of a Mack truck but are sub MOA accurate at 100 yards in my CZ and punch fist-sized exit holes in thin skinned game. Haven't yet hit a big boar with one but sows and so on get nailed. They're inexpensive and would probably cycle pretty well in a pump too,
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jun 2020, 2:40 pm

Anything 150 grain punching fist sized holes is bound to knock over the biggest boar ever. Esp when I have done it with 87 v max .....thank s all for the input. I’m Still thinking about it all.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Barnard » 25 Jun 2020, 5:09 pm

in my 308 hunting rifle I use two different projectiles.
1 ) the Speer 125gr TNT
2 ) the Hornady 150gr sst.
both shoot sub 1/2 moa groups at 100m and the 150gr sst still shoots sub 1 moa at 500m.
my rifle is sighted in for the 150gr sst, and the 125gr tnt are only 1/2 inch higher at 100m.
this works perfect for me as the 125gr tnt are awesome for varmints and foxes etc, and are fast and flat shooting with a tiny bit less recoil, extremely explosive and dynamite on game up to small pigs, while the 150gr sst are superb on game up to large deer, whilst the poly tip on them ensures sufficient expansion on small game too.
I've even shot rabbits with the 150gr sst and......there wasn't much rabbit left.
obviously shot placement is always key to good terminal effect.
My rifle is a bit on the heavy side so I don't notice a lot of recoil.
If I felt like burning money I would shoot the nosler ballistic tip 150gr,..as the bottom base thickness of these is a little thicker, resulting in slightly better penetration but to benefit from that you'd really be needing to be shooting through something bigger than deer.
not really an issue as you said they're a bit pricey.
Barnard
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by ash_hendo » 25 Jun 2020, 6:07 pm

Anyone tried the Hornady FTX on Pigs out of a 308?
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jun 2020, 6:18 pm

In my existing kit I have some 160 ftx in 308 I intend to try when I start loading for my new 308. and a few other random things to try ....a gun shop owner told me he loves the flex tips for hunting pigs in his 450 bm
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 29 Jun 2020, 2:18 pm

Some people over think this bullet business. Out of a 308, any 150 grain bullet will get the job done on feral pigs - big or small.

We were recently using Remington CoreLokt and even on pig boars they pass straight through. Changed to ballistic tips and on shoulder shots they stayed inside but also killed without them taking them a step.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by deanp100 » 29 Jun 2020, 4:17 pm

I have an Mlr in 308 and have used it on pigs for 40 years and have only used 3 projectiles. I used the Winchester 30/30 projectile for a long time. They sold them in a plastic bag . I used to hunt with a mate with a 243. His pigs fell, mine were thrown to the ground. When they ran out I changed to the Sierra flat nose 150 gr and quite recently taipan 150 flat nose. The taipans I think are a little hard so I will change back to sierras when they run out. The thwack noise the flat noses make makes it all worthwhile.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jun 2020, 8:20 pm

marksman wrote:for what you are doing Blr and further in distance all you would want is the hornady 150gr interlocks :thumbsup:
l am a fan of the sst's but shoot the interlocks as much, they will more than do the job :drinks:

I agree. Interlocks do the job. I haven't shot a lot with then. But they all fell over. From foxes to sambar, they work.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by niceshot » 22 May 2023, 11:12 pm

I've been using Sako gamehead 308 150gr, they hit hard, kill quickly and are affordable. I paid $400 for 200rnds 162gn power head blade are a lot more expensive but bloody good. id be getting a decent scope with a good eye relief as a pump won't have bolt action ergonomics for 180gn which are better left to a .30-06 or .308win mag. Make sure you have a good supply of disolvable stitching and needles plus some hospital alcohol if you go thermal.
niceshot
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by northdude » 23 May 2023, 6:23 pm

I use speer hotcores. Do you guys have them over there?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 23 May 2023, 6:39 pm

northdude wrote:I use speer hotcores. Do you guys have them over there?

yeah mate , plenty of speer projectiles around . accuracy wise their hit and miss in different rifles. if you'll pardon the pun :D
i recently tried 165gn nosler bt's out of my 30-06 on pigs and stuff . had a few pass through's on lighter pigs , if they strike bone they perform well . i'm going to switch to 150sst's on the next trip . i've had two 30-06 barrels that don't like the box of 165gn sst's i have. they would be a great all round projectile , but the accuracy is so-so :roll:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2023, 9:23 pm

northdude wrote:I use speer hotcores. Do you guys have them over there?

I like the Hotcores, cheap with decent accuracy.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 23 May 2023, 9:40 pm

On pigs it is hard to beat 130g speer hp and great accuracy.

Zombie thread :lol:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 24 May 2023, 5:58 am

Yea considering the price they are accurate enough as a hunting bullet. I dont expect match accuracy from them. Mind you i use them in my service rifle loads as well. 140gn in a 6.5x55
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by JimTom » 24 May 2023, 6:03 am

deye243 wrote:On pigs it is hard to beat 130g speer hp and great accuracy.

I found the 130gn HP to expand a bit to quickly when shooting pigs at close ranges. They were ok when shooting over 100m -150m where they had slowed down a bit.
They go alright out of my 300 AAC though.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 24 May 2023, 6:13 am

northdude wrote:Yea considering the price they are accurate enough as a hunting bullet. I dont expect match accuracy from them. Mind you i use them in my service rifle loads as well. 140gn in a 6.5x55

the best performing projectile in the swede is the 140sst . can be explosive at very close range , but generally the best performing i've found for varying game weights . long range accuracy is impressive in my rifle :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 24 May 2023, 6:15 am

yeah, old thread :D ahh well, i felt like a chat anyway ........ :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 24 May 2023, 1:19 pm

bigrich wrote:

yeah, old thread :D ahh well, i felt like a chat anyway ........ :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with the zombie thread I quite enjoy reading them at times when you see the difference in opinion over 10 years
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey