204 Ruger Brass...what is the best to reload where to get it

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

204 Ruger Brass...what is the best to reload where to get it

Post by simmo » 30 Jun 2020, 5:58 pm

Hey all

I’m flirting with the idea of a wildcat calibre based off .204Ruger case. One thing I have found is that 204 is surprisingly expensive!

I’ve used the cartridge before and I’m really just working out component supply and supportability before giving this idea thought and planning. Keen to to know what the best 204 brass is from people who Currently reload it.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 204 Ruger Brass...what is the best to reload where to ge

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2020, 6:38 pm

I use Norma and Hornady. Hornady ammo is used by lots of fox shooters so once-fired brass is fairly readily available
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 30 Jun 2020, 6:42 pm

chop a bit off the chamber and build a 20 Practical utilizing 223 brass

or are you talking about opening up the neck to a larger caliber ?
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Jun 2020, 7:41 pm

Do you want to build a faster 20 cal? If so, would the 20 BR Norma be fast enough......or a 20 BR Dasher?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Jun 2020, 7:51 pm

Norma make some very nice brass for the 204 and I don't think you would find better. Nosler also sell 204 brass although I guess that it is made for them by Norma. If you are not looking for competition style accuracy, you could get decent results from Hornady brass.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by simmo » 30 Jun 2020, 8:30 pm

Hey

I was told about a 22-204 as necked up 204 cartridge. I had never heard of it till today when I was talking to my gunsmith about building a 223AI. He suggested this because there is no fire forming and it holds about a full grain and a bit more than a 223AI. I did a bit of searching and on another forum there is a remarkable thread where it. We are taking about pushing 80.5gn Berger full bore pils at 3030-3060fps and Excellent accuracy and negligible felt recoil

Based on the thread and talking with my gunsmith I’m rather curious
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by simmo » 30 Jun 2020, 8:35 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Norma make some very nice brass for the 204 and I don't think you would find better. Nosler also sell 204 brass although I guess that it is made for them by Norma. If you are not looking for competition style accuracy, you could get decent results from Hornady brass.

I did see the Norma cases (probably what I would go with) and it looks like it’s going for about $249 per 100 at the barn. Even the Remington brass is $98 per 100. Was just Shocked a bit is all.

I was pretty set on a 223AI but this wildcat idea really has me really curious. I would build it to be a PSR or heavy Varmint rifle.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 30 Jun 2020, 9:27 pm

The barn is daylight. Hornady brass is fine - I shoot comp with it, not benchrest, but close enough (sometimes). My 204 hornady brass loads puts them right in there. Tell me though, in an accurate gun, what’s the practical difference between the 22-204 and the old triple deuce? Guess my point is, like-for-like, hard to spot the difference between the 204 and some esoteric (but similar) wildcat. Maybe it’s the journey for you rather than the destination though... I respect that. But FWIW the 204 is IME a killer little cartridge, both figuratively and literally. :)
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by simmo » 30 Jun 2020, 10:38 pm

in2anity wrote:The barn is daylight. Hornady brass is fine - I shoot comp with it, not benchrest, but close enough (sometimes). My 204 hornady brass loads puts them right in there. Tell me though, in an accurate gun, what’s the practical difference between the 22-204 and the old triple deuce? Guess my point is, like-for-like, hard to spot the difference between the 204 and some esoteric (but similar) wildcat. Maybe it’s the journey for you rather than the destination though... I respect that. But FWIW the 204 is a killer little cartridge, both figuratively and literally. :)

I think you’re on the money about being a journey. I enjoy my shooting way to much to make entirely about the end result. I’m not shooting bench rest but I enjoy squeezing as much accuracy out of a rifle as possible.

It does seem like very subtle differences that separates this 22–204 from the triple deuce or the magnum variant there of. I’ll be honest and say I have never owned a true wildcat cartridge, that’s probably part of the allure.

If o go ahead with this little project I will probably go with the hornady brass.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Jul 2020, 8:01 am

Why turn the hot rod 204 and neck it up to a pedestrian 224? If you want a fast and accurate 224 the obvious choice is the 22 Dasher. Looks cool and has 22/250 performance. For a real odd ball you could neck the Grendel down to 224.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 01 Jul 2020, 8:32 am

The 204 Ruger case, as is the 17 Rem case, are simply necked 222 Remington Magnum cases as are some of the ??x47 variants.
The 204 is a 'no drama' one step neck sizing operation provided the shoulder hasn't been excessively annealed.
Many people are disappointed with, or resort to compensatory fantasising about, the real performance advantage of wildcats compared to commonly available cartridges. That is not to be confused with wildcats whose reason for being is of a more subtle nature.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition