Police requesting to have a look at your rifle ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Police requesting to have a look at your rifle ?

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Jun 2020, 10:55 pm

So - but of a curly one.
Was stopped this evening on way back from my property - for a breatho - and I advised the officer that I had zero alcohol, but I did have a legally obtained, licensed and secured firearm in the vehicle.

The officer was cool and we got chatting - he asked to see and handle the Adler and he had plenty of curious questions that I was happy to answer, and who knows - we might even have a shot together in the future.

My question (which may have been asked before) - I may have inadvertently just handed over a firearm to someone who does not have an appropriate license ? Do police have statutory powers over and above ? They obviously have cat H but are they mandated to have A/B ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Police requesting to have a look at your rifle ?

Post by No1_49er » 29 Jun 2020, 11:07 pm

I believe that, just as with military personnel, police do not need to hold a firearms licence for any category, while performing their duty.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jun 2020, 11:22 pm

No1_49er wrote:I believe that, just as with military personnel, police do not need to hold a firearms licence for any category, while performing their duty.

That's interesting.

Off topic, but I would never volunteer to a cop I have a rifle in the car. He might be one of the 5% that are pricks. If he asked if I had one, that would be different.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jun 2020, 11:35 pm

I get breathalyed on nearly every trip away. As soon as they see a quadbike on a trailer at nighttime they get excited thinking they are goin to catch a couple of young dumb pig hunters that are drinking vb on the way to the hunt They are very disappointed when they walk up to the cabin and see an old man and a brown dog sober as a judge. And then when I blow zero they are very nice and friendly and just happy to see that somebody is doing the right thing ......not once in 25 years has anyone asked about rifles and I don’t mention it but they are locked and stored proper just in case. I think the time I get slack leaving a bolt inside a rifle is the time I might strike an officer in a bad mood .....I have no problem showing them my stuff .....I don’t think they need a licence to check my stuff and confiscate it if it’s not stored right ....Hope I never find out .......my next hunt is only a 100 Klm drive but it’s still dead easy to store correctly for a short trip away
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jun 2020, 11:39 pm

Last time I visited my deer/ dingo property I saw a dog run across the road in front and then prop for a look half way up the hill ... but my rifle was unloaded and bolt less , bagged and locked in the back of my Ute .....wild dogs like modern gun storage laws I think .....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Jun 2020, 12:15 am

Country cop, slow night - I had zero issues. I offered up the info as he could see the case and was no doubt going to ask regardless, I think he appreciated my front foot tactic.
He asked about the action, asked if he could cycle it - shouldered it a few times - was all cool and friendly.

I’ve got no issues with the stop at all - just curious re if they should maybe have a licence.
It I did not know, nor was I aware of -
“I believe that, just as with military personnel, police do not need to hold a firearms licence for any category, while performing their duty.”

I think we only have 1-2% asshat cops in Tas, most are pretty decent. Just don’t ask them if you can hold their side Arm for a while - they get quite upset then...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2020, 12:25 am

No1_49er wrote:I believe that, just as with military personnel, police do not need to hold a firearms licence for any category, while performing their duty.

As long as they are on duty they are exempt from licensing.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 30 Jun 2020, 12:40 am

Went through and RBT here in town once, 5 rifles and two shotguns on the back seat, me and the old man never mentioned the firearms and neither did the plods, they don't ask I don't say
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 30 Jun 2020, 12:44 am

find that strange Tassie tiger that you told him or did he ask if you had been out shooting or drinking ?? I think i have been pulled on a Saturday arvo coming back from the range well over 12 times over the years never once did they ask to see whats in the boot if they asked I would tell them but never volunteered the info first .
I believe the police hold a commissioners permit to carry a fire arm some do go and get a A/B/H same as you or I have shot with quite a few at the range most just think the volume training they get is poor a lot do not like firearms
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Jun 2020, 3:17 am

I was in a dual cab, back seat full of tools, Adler was in a bag, that was sticking through the Front seat opening - clear as day, which is why I offered.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by womble » 30 Jun 2020, 3:56 am

Sure no worries and can i have a look at your pistol officer, can i cycle it a few times and point it at stuff. Pew pew this is fun i can see why you became a cop (menacing laugh)

That cop would have weirded me out big time. Don’t know what he’s playing at. We have fake cops getting around vic sometimes. We’ve even had fake Chinese cops complete with fake Chinese cop cars. Because we are a province of China apparently, just ask comrade Dan.

Nope, would not travel anywhere with them in plain view. Because if pulled over in the country and they saw it just sitting there. They’d take it back to the station, run registration check on it. Then i wait for the phone call to come pick it up. This has happened to me twice because i am a slow learner.
The reason is happens is because i have vic rego plates and i follow the AFL.
When in NSW, this is a serious crime.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2020, 6:37 am

TassieTiger wrote:I was in a dual cab, back seat full of tools, Adler was in a bag, that was sticking through the Front seat opening - clear as day, which is why I offered.

Makes sense now. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duddley75 » 30 Jun 2020, 8:54 am

TassieTiger wrote:So - but of a curly one.
They obviously have cat H but are they mandated to have A/B ?

Not in NSW (regarding the cat H). Only whilst performing duties (as part of employment etc etc)

Should have answered, yes they can handle other peoples firearms though in the course of duties.
Last edited by duddley75 on 30 Jun 2020, 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rwd22 » 30 Jun 2020, 9:58 am

I like your approach with it mate, exactly how I would have reacted. I don't see it being a problem to give them a heads up that you are licensed and there is a firearm in the vehicle, If I was a cop, I'd prefer the operator of the vehicle to let me know up front.

As for handling of a firearm, I'm not aware of the circumstances around police, but I can imagine if a cop came across a firearm sitting in the middle of the road somewhere, they'd be permitted to pick it up and secure it, I see this as the same situation.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 30 Jun 2020, 11:12 am

l think you acted appropriately Tassie
the officer would have been having a look to make sure it was unloaded ect... he was just doing his job but making it friendly, he may have had a real interest,
when l used to ride bikes l used to get pulled up quite often with the police telling me they just wanted to have a look, never had to have a breatho
who knows :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by boingk » 01 Jul 2020, 3:58 am

Nothing wrong with having a chat with them, and especially no dramas letting them know if its clearly visible in the vehicle. Much rather be upfront than have someone think I'm trying to hide something.

If its in the boot or otherwise not visible then I'd be more inclined to keep it to myself.

I think people sometimes forget cops are people as well. Some of them happen to be keen enthusiasts, too.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by mickb » 01 Jul 2020, 5:17 am

I tell them I would prefer not as a general rule. This also applies if a cop wanted to take a look at my binoculars on the seat, my camping tent, what I just bought at the supermarket, the state of the fruit and veges in one of the bags, the wifes clothing, my cars brakes, whether I can rub my stomach with one hand whilst I pat my head at the same time, or my dogs paws to check whether they need clipping. I also dont generally submit to these request from people up the street, members of parliamnent, or even the pope when he is visiting regardless how good a bloke they are. If you arent suspected of committing a crime, you dont have to submit to showing belongings. The cop knows you are a gunowner when he checks your driving licence as it comes up on the system anyway, so suspicion is not formed by carrying what appears to be a firearm. This is the law and free countries stay free longer when everyone including lawmakers are reminded of it as often as possible.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Jul 2020, 5:29 am

This minor getting together - Seems to showcase a lot of different responses...and to be honest - it encapsulates why Tassie is Tassie...Still a bit old school down here.

I deal with many suits fin the mainland - who want a contract for every Little thing, a change Managemrnt plan to go to toilet...we still do million dollar contracts with a handshake and little more and we more often then not - get on with our police...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 01 Jul 2020, 5:45 am

I get along with police, just saying that back in the 80;s when they had no interest in what was in the car the relationship was even better. That would hold true for tassie as well id imagine, particularly pre gun laws?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Jul 2020, 8:00 am

Back in the 80’d - they couldn’t see in the cars as easily for all the smoke :allegedly:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2020, 4:16 pm

Rwd22 wrote:I like your approach with it mate, exactly how I would have reacted. I don't see it being a problem to give them a heads up that you are licensed and there is a firearm in the vehicle, If I was a cop, I'd prefer the operator of the vehicle to let me know up front.

As for handling of a firearm, I'm not aware of the circumstances around police, but I can imagine if a cop came across a firearm sitting in the middle of the road somewhere, they'd be permitted to pick it up and secure it, I see this as the same situation.

Anybody finding a firearm can legally handle it in the act of securing it for the Police.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Jul 2020, 9:32 am

womble wrote:Sure no worries and can i have a look at your pistol officer, can i cycle it a few times and point it at stuff. Pew pew this is fun i can see why you became a cop (menacing laugh)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Classic,,,,,,,

And along those lines I have been tempted to ask in the past (when said officer) is inside my house,,,,,,,,,,,

Is your pistol loaded ?? and then say, "I was always taught to never enter the house with a loaded firearm." :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Jul 2020, 12:07 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
womble wrote:Sure no worries and can i have a look at your pistol officer, can i cycle it a few times and point it at stuff. Pew pew this is fun i can see why you became a cop (menacing laugh)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Classic,,,,,,,

And along those lines I have been tempted to ask in the past (when said officer) is inside my house,,,,,,,,,,,

Is your pistol loaded ?? and then say, "I was always taught to never enter the house with a loaded firearm." :thumbsup:

Haha. Maybe you could also add - “hey, can you please stare into this mirror for a minute and place this garlic necklace around your neck, or your not coming in - I’ve already invited too many vampires in so I’m just being cautious ? What? you won’t do it? Got you now blood sucker - OUT WITH TOU BLACK DEMON!!!!”
Ps - if you do this, let us know what lock up you end up in and we can write
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Off topic - General conversation