try not to by remington

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

try not to by remington

Post by wrenchman » 30 Jun 2020, 10:11 pm

they are going to sell out to navajo tribe there will be q.c problems
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Re: try not to by remington

Post by cleger » 30 Jun 2020, 10:57 pm

Why do you think there'll be QC problems?
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by boingk » 30 Jun 2020, 11:35 pm

And where's the link for the sellout info? This doesn't make sense.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 01 Jul 2020, 12:20 am

Remington are to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection quite soon, this has been known for some time. The Navajo Nation have considered the possibility of purchasing the company, figures estimated at 300 million $US, nothing is confirmed by either the Tribal Council or Remington. I don't see any QC issues arising from such a sale but definately a re-organization of the business. The company can't go on as it is, or it will simply fold and disappear into history, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by boingk » 01 Jul 2020, 1:32 am

Fair enough. Far out, I knew I hadn't been in the game for a while but this kinda puts it into perspective.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Jul 2020, 7:30 am

Are you saying that they don't have QC issues at the moment?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jul 2020, 8:31 am

I have already paid 500 and my pta for my rem pump 308 is likely to turn up in the mail any day now. But I have heard for at least a couple of yrs that QC at Remington has been on a downward slide. My rem 300 AAC works great and shoots tight. I collected it new 12 months ago ..the new rifle will only be a pig/ red deer rifle with maybe a dog every year or two. .my accurate flat shooting sauer 243 will never be far from reach to deal with foxes and cats .....for interest sake I will post some brief info here upon collection of the new rifle regarding its finish and operation , and again after it’s been to the range
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 01 Jul 2020, 11:24 am

there qc has got better last few years i worry about it going down hill again and if they willl warrenty the stuff sold right now.
i have a few remington guns they are all older guns my 870 is from the 90s it is my newest one.
i am a remington fan my first gun that i bought for hunting deer was a adl 700 in 270 that i got in 1986 sold it to friend when he was going to africa.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by JSS » 01 Jul 2020, 6:00 pm

So Remington is possibly being bought by the Navajo Nation, and if i'm reading this correctly you're trying to imply they won't have any quality control or honour the companies existing products with warranty because they're Indians, is that right??
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 01 Jul 2020, 6:07 pm

Rem 204 Ruger sporter barrel I had was missing rifling.....woulda been 6 or 7 years ago I reckon.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 01 Jul 2020, 6:34 pm

Blr243 wrote:I have already paid 500 and my pta for my rem pump 308 is likely to turn up in the mail any day now. But I have heard for at least a couple of yrs that QC at Remington has been on a downward slide. My rem 300 AAC works great and shoots tight. I collected it new 12 months ago ..the new rifle will only be a pig/ red deer rifle with maybe a dog every year or two. .my accurate flat shooting sauer 243 will never be far from reach to deal with foxes and cats .....for interest sake I will post some brief info here upon collection of the new rifle regarding its finish and operation , and again after it’s been to the range

You’ll be happy with your 7600. I bought the same rifle back in January and really like it. I put a Vortex 1-4x24 V Brite scope on it. It added a bit of weight, but I like it better than the red dot I had on it originally.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jul 2020, 8:01 pm

Mick, what groups are u getting , hows the trigger, and is the trigger adjustable?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 02 Jul 2020, 7:21 am

wrenchman wrote:they are going to sell out to navajo tribe there will be q.c problems

It's just a change from one capital investment company owner to another capital investment company owner.
The "working stiff" and "wet back" employees will most likely stay until the new owners start pushing for more ROI.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 02 Jul 2020, 7:26 am

Bill wrote:Rem 204 Ruger sporter barrel I had was missing rifling.....woulda been 6 or 7 years ago I reckon.

That would have been highly unusual as Ruger has been making all their barrels "in house" using a hammer forging process.
If you are familiar with the hammer forging process then you would understand just how unlikely that might be.
Do you still have the barrel or rifle?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jul 2020, 6:27 pm

Collected the new Remington today. The recoil pad is 3 mm thick and hard plastic not foam ... the first thing I noticed was the lack of weight. Not much heavier than a 357 Rossi lever. Thank god it’s braked. But I’m still concerned it’s goin to boot the hell out of me. Esp as I shoot mostly prone when hunting .....I have some factory 180 rounds and I have some 178 hornady pills to load up. If they turn out to be too brutal I will have to go back to 150 pills and get a better pad. We will see
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 02 Jul 2020, 7:36 pm

Blr243 wrote:Collected the new Remington today. The recoil pad is 3 mm thick and hard plastic not foam ... the first thing I noticed was the lack of weight. Not much heavier than a 357 Rossi lever. Thank god it’s braked. But I’m still concerned it’s goin to boot the hell out of me. Esp as I shoot mostly prone when hunting .....I have some factory 180 rounds and I have some 178 hornady pills to load up. If they turn out to be too brutal I will have to go back to 150 pills and get a better pad. We will see

Mine was the same with the plastic butt plate, it was a thick soft recoil pad in the pictures but not when it arrived. It doesn’t boot too much standing, but when I initially sighted it in over a bench it did pound the shoulder a bit, just because of the way l was leaning into it with the butt into the shoulder bone, prone might be similar. It grouped well, but I only sighted it at 50 metres cos that’s where I’m shooting, close range, maybe not the best way to set up a 308 but that’s what I’ve done. The mag can be a bit tricky to know when it’s “home” but it’s fine when you get used to it. I had a roo in the sights the other day and cycled a round while it just stood there, went to pull the trigger and there was nothing, I hadn’t slid the pump quite all the way forward, and away he hopped. None of these things are complaints, it’s just getting used to the workings of it, it’s an awesome short barrelled hard hitter with the quick follow up shots when you need them.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jul 2020, 7:56 pm

I agree with the mag uncertainty but like u say I will work it out On youtube there are people shooting pump rifles and shotguns so fast I can’t even see what they are doing ( the anti gun crowd would have a heart attack just viewing the videos) .... I’ll prob grab a recoil pad and keep in original packaging till I try it at the range ....so I spose I’m on the ph tomorrow to book some range time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jul 2020, 8:02 pm

Bill wrote:Rem 204 Ruger sporter barrel I had was missing rifling.....woulda been 6 or 7 years ago I reckon.

From new?
Ruger hammer forge their barrels around a mandrel.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 02 Jul 2020, 8:31 pm

Blr243 wrote:I agree with the mag uncertainty but like u say I will work it out On youtube there are people shooting pump rifles and shotguns so fast I can’t even see what they are doing ( the anti gun crowd would have a heart attack just viewing the videos) .... I’ll prob grab a recoil pad and keep in original packaging till I try it at the range ....so I spose I’m on the ph tomorrow to book some range time

I have actually just slid a Beartooth recoil pad on it, but haven’t shot it since. I saw somewhere an aftermarket mag release lever too, it would probably be a nice mod but I don’t think I’d bother with it.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 02 Jul 2020, 8:36 pm

4B4D03CE-EBA1-4D66-AD44-54116A1D755E.jpeg
4B4D03CE-EBA1-4D66-AD44-54116A1D755E.jpeg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 4815 times

This is my target from when I sighted the rifle in. It’s still on the board down the paddock thats why it’s all faded. You can see the first shot down in the bottom left hand corner.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bill » 02 Jul 2020, 10:35 pm

straightshooter wrote:

That would have been highly unusual as Ruger has been making all their barrels "in house" using a hammer forging process.
If you are familiar with the hammer forging process then you would understand just how unlikely that might be.
Do you still have the barrel or rifle?

unusual or not I bought the barrel off another forum classified, a mate screwed it on a spare Model 7 action I had and right off the bat all pills failed to shoot, 3 plus inches at 100m. A bore scope was stuck in the muzzle end to discover a chunk of rifling non existent for a few cm. Never seen anything like it before. Barrel got chucked in the bin.

Remington stainless barrel not a ruger
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 03 Jul 2020, 12:55 am

there will be changes if they buy it and it looks like they will models will go and employes will go some becouse they dont want to work for the new company or fired becouse they dont want them pay might change.
any time there is a buy out not all things go well and subpar products will come out remington is is owned by the freedom group they also own marlin and qc went down when they got it it is doing much better now.
If you buy one chances are you will be fine or they will make it good
if you pick up a old marlin and compare it to a new one finish is not the same but the new ones are still nice.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by boingk » 03 Jul 2020, 1:02 am

wrenchman wrote:if you pick up a old marlin and compare it to a new one finish is not the same but the new ones are still nice.

I'll vouch for the Marlin, I recently got an 1895GBL and couldnt be happier.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jul 2020, 7:46 am

You are not the only one reporting missing bits of rifling from a Remington barrel there Bill. I have heard even the 5R barrels sometimes comes with this feature. Remington seem to think it is normal. No warranty claims will be successful.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 03 Jul 2020, 7:53 am

Shootermick, my rifle has a 20 moa pic rail fitted. My previous knowledge of o versus 20 rails is that when operating at usual hunting distances a 0 rail will suit better and a 20 rail would suit long range target shooters better ....when I first noticed the 20 moa rail I thought maybe the top of the receiver is shaped such that it needs a 20 moa rail ....I don’t want to be at the range and realise there is not enough scope adjustment range ...do u know which rail was supplied with your rifle and was it suitable?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 03 Jul 2020, 5:09 pm

2C999141-A436-4D59-9921-F1BBBA910ED9.jpeg
2C999141-A436-4D59-9921-F1BBBA910ED9.jpeg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 4711 times
B1BA5B67-B147-4FFB-AC5D-3C82C26431C3.jpeg
B1BA5B67-B147-4FFB-AC5D-3C82C26431C3.jpeg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 4711 times
Blr243 wrote:Shootermick, my rifle has a 20 moa pic rail fitted. My previous knowledge of o versus 20 rails is that when operating at usual hunting distances a 0 rail will suit better and a 20 rail would suit long range target shooters better ....when I first noticed the 20 moa rail I thought maybe the top of the receiver is shaped such that it needs a 20 moa rail ....I don’t want to be at the range and realise there is not enough scope adjustment range ...do u know which rail was supplied with your rifle and was it suitable?

Can’t really answer your question, as mine didn’t come with a rail so I bought two piece bases and only put one on when I had the red dot on it, and put on the other when I needed it to mount the scope. All I can say is my bases are perfectly fine for closer stuff but I haven’t really stretched it out to be able to comment on the longer range performance. I did nail a roo at about 200 the other day though, although it was a minute of fur aim, and he might have been unlucky.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 03 Jul 2020, 6:03 pm

That’s prob all the info I need mick , two piece bases are more than likely equal. Otherwise they would mention it on the package. If a pair of two piece bases worked for you , a parallel pic rail will more than likely work for me too. Unless I get any new conflicting info I’ll mount the zero moa rail on the rifle before I attach my scope......thanks for putting the pix up
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles