Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Post by ridi235 » 02 Jul 2020, 9:55 pm

Still waiting for my A/B. Applied on 4th of March. Dad applied on the 5th of March and got his email saying it's being assessed yesterday. Coming up on 18 weeks now I think but I don't want to pester them when their site says to wait 20 weeks.
ridi235
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jul 2020, 10:21 pm

18 weeks is a tough wait.... I was looking up and down the street for the mailman every day and I was listening out for the sound of his bike and I had to wait less than two weeks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Calister » 03 Jul 2020, 1:03 pm

Currently sitting on 20 weeks and 2 days for my Cat H and my Cat A PTA that I put in on the 22nd of June still hasn't been approved.
Howa 1500 223 24" / CZ 452 Ultralux 22lr / ATA 686B / SHS STP12 / M38 Swedish Mauser / FN Mauser 30-06 / Swiss K31 /Swiss 1911 / Swiss 1889 / Steyr M95 x2 / Martini Cadet 310 / P14 Enfield
Soon: CZ Shadow 2 / Webley & Scott 912k
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 03 Jul 2020, 4:55 pm

Calister wrote:Currently sitting on 20 weeks and 2 days for my Cat H and my Cat A PTA that I put in on the 22nd of June still hasn't been approved.

Hopefully you get approved for the H soon. My last Cat B PTA took 2 weeks, I imagine that's probably the average timeline at the moment.

PTA's put in by the pistol club for me and the partner took just over 2 weeks for one and about 3 weeks for the other.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Calister » 06 Jul 2020, 12:34 pm

Correction on my last post, Cat A PTA was put in on the 21st and was approved today on the 6th of July.

Still no word on Cat H.
Howa 1500 223 24" / CZ 452 Ultralux 22lr / ATA 686B / SHS STP12 / M38 Swedish Mauser / FN Mauser 30-06 / Swiss K31 /Swiss 1911 / Swiss 1889 / Steyr M95 x2 / Martini Cadet 310 / P14 Enfield
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 07 Jul 2020, 10:21 am

RuinedNoodle wrote:
Nails wrote:I must be getting close then. My A/B application date is 13 February, so 20 werks today. I’ve heard nothing except the id check on 3 March.
Hopefully the email approval will come soon, then another wait for the hard copy from what I understand. I put in 4 PTAs the day after I applied for license.
This would have to be the longest I’ve waited for anything

20 weeks for A/B is not normal, look at other posts in this thread. People who put in their applications in February were reporting getting their A/B licenses more than a month ago. It would help to start contacting them as to why yours is taking much longer than others who handed their applications after you.

A previous owner (from 14 years ago) has their company address as my home address, this seems to have caused some delay, but I think its underway again now. Hopefully I’ll get a pass email very soon.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Robin » 08 Jul 2020, 1:56 pm

Finally mine has arrived in the mail, just in time for my tax return.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Calister » 14 Jul 2020, 8:08 am

Cat H approved on the 13th of July. All up 21 weeks and 5 days. Now to wait on the card and PTA.
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Insert random name » 14 Jul 2020, 12:20 pm

Licence app and PTA in on 6/3/20 had the ID email come on the 14/3, licence approved email 1/7. Cat A/B licence in mailbox 14/7, hopefully, the PTA should be arriving soon so I can sight my rifle in at an approved club before this virus shuts the whole show down again.
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Random Holepuncher » 14 Jul 2020, 5:21 pm

Application for WL (A+B) and PTA (cat A) on 04/03/20, email for ID on 14/03/20. Still haven’t heard anything. Called about 4 weeks ago (twice) - spoke with one unhelpful lady who fobbed me off, then one the complete opposite who checked on everything but said she had still been finishing off January applications the day before. I had A, B and H about ten years ago, but got out of the sport after the birth of my daughter. Silly me. Anyway, this week is 19 weeks since the online application, so I guess I can’t contact them again for one more week.
Random Holepuncher
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ridi235 » 15 Jul 2020, 12:03 am

Reading about all these people who applied after me and already have their cards in the mail is making me worried. I don't want to annoy them with emails because the 20 weeks isn't up until Wednesday next week. I hope it hasn't been lost in the pile. It took the best part of 5 months for my statement of eligibility to join a pistol club to come back so maybe they're just being slow for the sake of being slow
ridi235
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Random Holepuncher » 16 Jul 2020, 11:19 am

Update 16/07/20 - WL app A+B on 04/03/20 approved on 15/07/20. Two to three weeks for the card due to being printed in Vic, with possible COVID-related delays
Random Holepuncher
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Robin » 16 Jul 2020, 4:02 pm

I really don't understand why we pay QLD fees , however the cards are printed in Vic, so much for supporting local jobs.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 16 Jul 2020, 5:59 pm

Robin wrote:I really don't understand why we pay QLD fees , however the cards are printed in Vic, so much for supporting local jobs.

I'm not even sure how to understand what you're stating. So we should be paying all licensing fees to victoria for one small piece of plastic...?
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Calister » 17 Jul 2020, 9:37 am

Robin wrote:I really don't understand why we pay QLD fees , however the cards are printed in Vic, so much for supporting local jobs.

Nearly all the cost of the licencing fee is related to QLD ownership/Processing of the licence. A very small amount relates to the physical card, and contracting out the work isn't a bad idea.

If you're imply that the card production should be in the state of licencing, then that implies individual facilities handling specific jobs for each state and usually less work flow, with higher cost. So if anything I'd rather pay less for the same licence than pay more just so that the licence card is being made in QLD.
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 21 Jul 2020, 12:50 pm

Nails wrote:
RuinedNoodle wrote:
Nails wrote:I must be getting close then. My A/B application date is 13 February, so 20 werks today. I’ve heard nothing except the id check on 3 March.
Hopefully the email approval will come soon, then another wait for the hard copy from what I understand. I put in 4 PTAs the day after I applied for license.
This would have to be the longest I’ve waited for anything

20 weeks for A/B is not normal, look at other posts in this thread. People who put in their applications in February were reporting getting their A/B licenses more than a month ago. It would help to start contacting them as to why yours is taking much longer than others who handed their applications after you.

A previous owner (from 14 years ago) has their company address as my home address, this seems to have caused some delay, but I think its underway again now. Hopefully I’ll get a pass email very soon.

Almost 23 weeks now, I called them last week to explain the above previous owner business stuff and he laughed, a supportive laugh though. He then said it all looks ok and he would ‘ramp it up’, so I was hoping to hear more by now, maybe ramp it up means go to end of queue? Lol
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Random Holepuncher » 28 Jul 2020, 1:29 pm

Update 28/07/20 - WL app A+B on 04/03/20 approved on 15/07/20. Card arrived today. Still waiting on PTA from 11/03/20, but at least I can buy the ammo now.
Random Holepuncher
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jay76 » 31 Jul 2020, 4:20 pm

Applied for Category H today. Let the long weight begin.
Remington 7615 223
Lithgow 308
Lithgow 6.5 creedmoor
Tikka 6.5 creedmoor
Adler B230
Winchester 94
smith &wesson M&P 9 M2.0
jay76
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Insert random name » 02 Aug 2020, 9:42 am

Licence app and PTA in on 6/3/20 had the ID email come on the 14/3, licence approved email 1/7. Cat A/B licence in mailbox 14/7, hopefully, the PTA should be arriving soon so I can sight my rifle in at an approved club before this virus shuts the whole show down again.

Got the PTA ok'd email, my watch is now over. Looking forward to some plinking with my LA101 .22lr
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 02 Aug 2020, 8:38 pm

Applied A&B 13/2/20, called a few times now and just get told Iits being processed. Still waiting patiently...starting week 25 now smh
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by RuinedNoodle » 03 Aug 2020, 2:48 pm

Helped my dad to apply for his A/B license - submitted application on the 20th of April 2020, ID check 30th April, approved by email today 3rd of August. Total took 15 weeks exactly.
Still waiting for the email approval for the PTAs I submitted for him.
They must be processing applications out of order because some of you guys are reporting more than 20 weeks wait for A/B.
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ridi235 » 03 Aug 2020, 5:54 pm

They're definitely out of order. I emailed them about mine at the 21 week mark and heard back last thursday that they had received it and that it was still being processed and they couldn't provide a timeframe because of the high volume, blah, blah. Dad applied for his a day after I applied for mine and his is already in the mail and he just got his PTA approval email today. Very frustrating not knowing what's going on but I guess that's the point of the whole system, to discourage people from applying in the first place. I applied on the 4th of March. Bit annoying to see people who applied almost 2 months later already getting theirs but oh well, nothing I can really do except wait some more.
ridi235
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 03 Aug 2020, 7:13 pm

I just keep hoping it’s tomorrow
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Completely Cornered » 09 Aug 2020, 8:49 pm

Apparently it's back down to around 14 weeks now.
Took 20th march - 4 August
Ruger American Ranch
Remington 783
Marlin xt22rts
Lithgow LA105
Completely Cornered
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ridi235 » 12 Aug 2020, 3:43 pm

Well, Dad got his card in the mail today and I still haven't even heard back that mine is even being assessed. Might have to give them a ring because the email was so vague and told me nothing. Bit frustrating waiting when you have no idea what's going on at all.
ridi235
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 16 Aug 2020, 8:09 pm

Completely Cornered wrote:Apparently it's back down to around 14 weeks now.

Are you sure? Its been over 6 months now for me, (13 February application) I’ve called twice and been told its progressed and with the team leader about 4 weeks ago, that was after a 25 minute wait on the phone, initially being 23rd in queue. I sent another email early this week and got an auto-reply saying they would try to respond to my email within 28 days. Really, this is just b*##sh1t!
I think if I call again, they’ll put me at the end of the queue, but I’ll try again tomorrow.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 17 Aug 2020, 11:24 am

A politely worded email complaint about processing times, lack of updates and a level of service that isn't reasonable to the Minister of Police and your local MP may help to nudge things along, certainly if enough people do it notice will eventually be taken.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 17 Aug 2020, 12:43 pm

rc42 wrote:A politely worded email complaint about processing times, lack of updates and a level of service that isn't reasonable to the Minister of Police and your local MP may help to nudge things along, certainly if enough people do it notice will eventually be taken.

Nope. All your MP does is forward your letter to WLB who will, after a long wait, send you a boilerplate response letter that will go on about increased volume of applications and COVID-19 disruptions. Your wait time will be unaffected and everyone involved, except you, will continue to not give a crap.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Robin » 18 Aug 2020, 7:57 am

Nails wrote:
Completely Cornered wrote:Apparently it's back down to around 14 weeks now.

Are you sure? Its been over 6 months now for me, (13 February application) I’ve called twice and been told its progressed and with the team leader about 4 weeks ago, that was after a 25 minute wait on the phone, initially being 23rd in queue. I sent another email early this week and got an auto-reply saying they would try to respond to my email within 28 days. Really, this is just b*##sh1t!
I think if I call again, they’ll put me at the end of the queue, but I’ll try again tomorrow.

You must have called on the wrong day, I called them, had no wait time and the lady on the other end was actually really nice and processed my while I was on the phone, by the time I got off, I had a nice email saying its been approved, and thats for 2 PTA's
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 18 Aug 2020, 1:56 pm

A letter of complaint may not help you but it could help others in the future, communication about the unreasonable processing times combined with WLBs own claims of being under resourced for the current level of regulations needs to be an annoyance to the politicians that have the power to add resources and not add even more pointless regulations in the future.
When complaint levels are high enough and go on long enough things do get changed, sulking in a corner and accepting that this is just the way that things are is the worst possible response.

The people at WLB are over worked, under paid and under resourced for the excessive regulations and ever increasing numbers of applications, it's the politicians at fault, not WLB and only the politicians can fix it.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws