308 scope advice please

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

308 scope advice please

Post by Ausmade » 23 Jul 2020, 10:41 am

Hey gurus, I have just ordered a Lithgow LA102 308 signature series over the weekend and while I am waiting for it and the PTA to arrive, I am trying to figure out what scope and ring set up to use. I have a spare Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50 with the varmint reticle and as I am looking to use it for a mix of hunting and long range target work, I was hoping this might cover my bases.
I have never really done any long range work (over 300 metres), so I am hoping this may get me out of trouble as my budget is blown after the rifle purchase. I could probably move the VX3 along and use the coin for something better but it is in really good nick and I am partial to it. As for the rings, I have a cheap set of Leupold Rifleman rings but I don't think they would be up to the task and would probably have a ring budget of around $120.00 or so. Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

Aus.
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 308 scope advice please

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Jul 2020, 2:02 pm

G'day Aus,
Haven't seen your name before so, Welcome to the forum.
The 308 is a versatile calibre as you probably know but scopes .............................not so much IMO.
That is, your requirements are a mixture and if you are hunting at close range, you need low power to give you field of view. My scope is a 1.5-5X and was very good for pigs where the longest shot was 100 yards. For target shooting, it is just about, "The sky is the Limit", where magnification is concerned. I used a 36X when I shot Fullbore and it had a Very Fine crosshair, whereas my pig scope had a coarse duplex that you could not miss at midnight :)
So, to sum it up, there is the reticle and magnification to be considered, for the range you shoot at.
With that Leupold that you mention, I think that you will be handicapped under 50 yards and over 300 but what is the harm in trying it out to see if you like it? :)
That Lithgow sounds like a nice rifle. The velocity you get out of that length of barrel should be good for 800 yards; you need about 2850 fps with a 155 gn Sierra Palma bullet for good elevation at 1000.
Anyway, you might have to think some more about your requirements. I know you want an "All-round" outfit but it's a bit difficult and you might have to compromise.
Good Luck :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Jul 2020, 10:11 am

Burris Signiture rings are probably the best budget rings you can get, with their inserts they are also very kind to your scope tube.

For target shooting at 300 metres you can do well with a 25x scope. At 500 metres you will wish you had more magnification. From there on you will have more aiming errors with the smaller magnification until the mirage makes it hard to see and everyone starts winding the power back.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jul 2020, 3:00 pm

Budget,,,use?

3-9 or 2-7 are both popular.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Jul 2020, 3:17 pm

Keep the hunting scope you have and buy a cheap fixed 30x or similar for range work?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ausmade » 25 Jul 2020, 10:57 am

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Aus
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Vicko » 31 Jul 2020, 7:06 pm

I just put a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 on my 30-06. Very nice glass. Eyebox gets tight at 15x but below that it’s very generous.

I intend to use it for pigs, deer and target work. So the 3x low end has a great fov.

Sighting it in tomorrow :)
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 01 Aug 2020, 9:17 am

Mate I think its a pretty fair choice for squeezing both tasks in personally. I dont shoot long range but can say 4.5 is fine for regular shooting, and I know people using 16x for 800 yards. Im a minimalist though and I think the days of scopes, rifles, and calibres for every day of the week are coming to a close, or unless you are on a dentists salary. A good all rounder is always worth a shot. US marines got by with a 3-9x redfield on their sniper rifles for a long time after all and I think they are still using only a 4-12x these days. They arent trying to win target shoots of course but they do what they do to 800 yards.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by solarpak » 01 Aug 2020, 4:56 pm

i personally like my hunting rifles to weigh a maximum of 4kgs scoped - and the weight of the bare rifle (no scope or rings) will dictate as to what scope i will tend to choose . The lightest scope i currently run is a fixed 6x Lynx which weighs 260 grams ( superb optics!!) and the heaviest would be a couple of my Hawke Endurances around the 700 gram weight.
Having said that for my next rifle - another re-visit to the 30-06 calibre - i will probably plump for a 3-9x variable - lots to choose from.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by WookyMysta » 26 Aug 2020, 7:33 pm

I have an La 102 in 308w/ Meopro 6/18x50.

Shoots laser beams on factory ammo. Don't need to reload, other than cost. It's ALL about shot placement.

DON'T OVER SCOPE. !!!!!!!!!!!!

If its for hunting, FOV, sight picture, and clarity will ALWAYS be better than Zoom.

If its a paper/social media rig, then go 25x or more, depending on budget and desired likes.

If it is for hunting, less zoom and larger objective will be more appropriate and better suited for your application.

LESS IS MORE,,,
WookyMysta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 26 Aug 2020, 8:49 pm

We have guns for social media use now. OK Please explain?
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by deye243 » 26 Aug 2020, 9:10 pm

Larry wrote:We have guns for social media use now. OK Please explain?

Haha yep
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by knivesinthenight » 09 Oct 2020, 7:58 pm

Hi all, going shopping for a couple of scopes either this weekend or next. Buying for a Ruger 77 scout in .223, and a Rem 7600 .308. I am already overwhelmed by choice, so looking for some quick help from you all as you all know your guns. Looking to spend say up to 800 on each (but happy to spend less, means more ammo!), and am looking for close work (100 yards) to around 300-400 max. please help a newbie out? I've got back into guns after a very long break (20+ years), and have already been really impressed with how helpfull guys have been with advice.
knivesinthenight
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Veetwin » 01 May 2021, 8:16 am

WookyMysta wrote:I have an La 102 in 308w/ Meopro 6/18x50.

Shoots laser beams on factory ammo. Don't need to reload, other than cost. It's ALL about shot placement.

DON'T OVER SCOPE. !!!!!!!!!!!!

If its for hunting, FOV, sight picture, and clarity will ALWAYS be better than Zoom.

If its a paper/social media rig, then go 25x or more, depending on budget and desired likes.

If it is for hunting, less zoom and larger objective will be more appropriate and better suited for your application.

LESS IS MORE,,,

Are you able to share what factory ammo your 308 likes? That would really help me. Just waiting for my PTA. Many thanks, Steve
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 01 May 2021, 9:32 am

Hi Steve, you may struggle to get an answer. What shoots in one blokes 308 may be woeful in yours. Also what someone thinks is great may not be what another person sees as acceptable. There is nothing like handloading to get the best results, you need some 2208 powder, CCI BR primers, Lapua brass and Berger bullets and you are well on your way.

For a factory offering, the Federal Premium Gold Medal with the 175 SMK shoots well in many rifles.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 01 May 2021, 12:15 pm

Is case not already mentioned... if buying sec hand , beware of things like fake Leopold
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Veetwin » 01 May 2021, 1:23 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Hi Steve, you may struggle to get an answer. What shoots in one blokes 308 may be woeful in yours. Also what someone thinks is great may not be what another person sees as acceptable. There is nothing like handloading to get the best results, you need some 2208 powder, CCI BR primers, Lapua brass and Berger bullets and you are well on your way.

For a factory offering, the Federal Premium Gold Medal with the 175 SMK shoots well in many rifles.

Thanks, looks like you might like Mustangs especially Super Cobra Jet 429.
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 01 May 2021, 1:29 pm

I don't mind the odd V Twin scooter either.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 01 May 2021, 7:20 pm

Blr243 wrote:Is case not already mentioned... if buying sec hand , beware of things like fake Leopold

I have one of those. bought it on some rifle turrets rattle like a kids toy .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics