Bunnings Gun Safes not compliant with WA legislation.

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Bunnings Gun Safes not compliant with WA legislation.

Post by Ben Garrison » 24 Jul 2020, 8:13 pm

Hi Friends.

I bought a Bunnings Sandleford 5 gun safe the other day and after getting it home and checking it out I had realised that it did not meet WA firearm legislation. There are a number of specifications required by WA law for the storage of firearms. The most obvious the Sandleford failed was the number of hinges; it had 2 and law specifies safes of 1500mm are to have more than two hinges.

They sell a lot of them apparently. Just wanted to let other West Australians know and not risk their license. Has Anyone else had any experience with them?
Ben Garrison
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Re: Bunnings Gun Safes not compliant with WA legislation.

Post by Patriot » 25 Jul 2020, 2:42 pm

As Queenslander I’m not up on wa gun laws but i was just reading the specs on the safe you mentioned it states the the safe is 1450mm in height. Maybe that’s why it only has 2 hinges.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 25 Jul 2020, 3:11 pm

G'day Patriot,
WA law does require another hinge if the door is longer than 1 metre. Their Act states "or part thereof", so 1450mm still needs 3 hinges, Cheers.

(Another crazy WA difference, it's drinking Swan and West End, curdles the brain!)
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Patriot » 25 Jul 2020, 4:20 pm

Righteeo then.I’m no sandgroper. Cheers.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jul 2020, 4:33 pm

Just Thinking about owning a firearm in west oz is not compliant with their legislation ...30 years ago I remember being yelled at by a police officer when I tried to register my firearms ...so god help anyone caught with a unregistered item
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Jul 2020, 5:40 pm

Could you bolt another hinge to it?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by targetshooter900 » 26 Jul 2020, 12:40 am

WA gun laws have lots of weird little things and are very different to the rest of the country. If I was in WA I'd suggest buying a safe from a gun shop to ensure compliance.
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 26 Jul 2020, 10:35 pm

Mate if you didnt want it I am pretty sure bunnings would issue a refund. They are big enough not to quiblle particularly if you say it doesnt meet a police requirement. Otherwise maybe hang onto it, always find use for a second safe.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Ziege » 28 Jul 2020, 12:04 am

Forget the fact that they may or may not comply with legislation, I grabbed one of their display safes in the isle and had a yank and yaw on it, deemed flimsy, clunky and not very well put together, wouldn't be hard to pry it apart I don't think. Staying away
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by niteowl » 30 Jul 2020, 3:46 pm

safe_0001 resize.jpg
safe_0001 resize.jpg (185.81 KiB) Viewed 10302 times
Ya need one of these suckers, they are compliant. No need to bolt it down either weighs 1.3T
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Tilb004 » 30 Jul 2020, 4:19 pm

Ben Garrison wrote:Hi Friends.

I bought a Bunnings Sandleford 5 gun safe the other day and after getting it home and checking it out I had realised that it did not meet WA firearm legislation. There are a number of specifications required by WA law for the storage of firearms. The most obvious the Sandleford failed was the number of hinges; it had 2 and law specifies safes of 1500mm are to have more than two hinges.

They sell a lot of them apparently. Just wanted to let other West Australians know and not risk their license. Has Anyone else had any experience with them?

Hi Ben
I brought a gun safe sandford from Bunnings a few years back .
Sent a photo and serial number with it and never had a problem.
May these laws are new .
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 02 Aug 2020, 12:15 pm

niteowl wrote:
safe_0001 resize.jpg
Ya need one of these suckers, they are compliant. No need to bolt it down either weighs 1.3T

Nice, looks like a Chubb Bk series in double door? These were called booksafes in the day, used for storing documents and cash under 25,000. Decent Class B protection, at least 10mm steel in the door, often a layer of thinner steel with firefluff or concrete fill as well.

Used safes are actually what I advise people to buy if they want decent protection. Not everyone wants that of course, some just need to satisfy legislation which is fine. But some buy the higher end browning and spika safes which are basically just dolled up 6mm steel boxes. For the same money you can often find a decent real cash safe off gumtree or when closed down businesses are giving them away, with multiple times the protection.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by niteowl » 02 Aug 2020, 1:52 pm

Yep, that is what it is, stores 25 longarms with LARGE thermal scopes on at least 6. Fire proof rating (for documents which handle less temp than firearms) I don't publish exactly what is actually in there. About what you would pay for some other approved crummy tin box that takes about 2.5 minutes to break into!!
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Aug 2020, 6:26 pm

Just FYI - I bought a new currently compliant safe(holds 20) and had inspection today...officer advised me that - stand alone digital locks are on the list to be banned...and they couldn’t advise if a key over ride would meet the coming changes (Tas)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 03 Aug 2020, 8:05 pm

How can a standalone keypad be banned when they are standard for the safes the police themselves use?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by No1_49er » 03 Aug 2020, 9:02 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^

Rules for them, and rules for us.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Aug 2020, 9:10 pm

mickb wrote:How can a standalone keypad be banned when they are standard for the safes the police themselves use?

I assume they wont be using these with future changes ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 04 Aug 2020, 6:56 am

TassieTiger wrote:
mickb wrote:How can a standalone keypad be banned when they are standard for the safes the police themselves use?

I assume they wont be using these with future changes ?

I wouldnt think thats it, Tas. Many government Class B( low/medium security) and class A safes( high security, like a bank safe) and commercial bank safes and jewellers use keypads These are $200-1000 digital units on safes worth $5000-$20000. No security reason for them to overhaul all their safe classes and get rid of keypads after using them for the last 2 decades. Again key overrides dont exist in real safes , you dont over ride security with extra mechanisms or items that can be stolen and used on the safe. If a keypad fails on a real safe, its bad luck. The safe is drilled open by a locksmith and refitted.

If they are banning them off gunsafes I can only guess maybe they got sick of all the faults with cheap keypads ....eg blokes who cant access a safe when its inspection time?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Aug 2020, 8:10 am

I don't think they would be talking about KABA X10, LaGard TL11G or even the old Chatswood Milner Manifoil locks that they use themselves, perhaps just cheap and nasty locks fitted to Chinese safes.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Aug 2020, 9:09 am

I should hopefully hear back in a couple days - as I was advised that they could potentially knock back my brand new install based on coming laws...if so, I’ll pull key pad and use key.
They took a lot of photos. Photos of my fences, my alarms, my 3 x camera systems, light sensors, etc - the most invasive safe inspection I’ve ever had.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 04 Aug 2020, 9:22 am

yes, hopefully they make the disctinction
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Benny_Gee » 30 Jan 2022, 6:22 pm

Late answer but it is my understanding these are compliant.
I know my sandleford 3 gun safe uses pivots on the top and bottom of the door. A clause differentiates these from hinges and just states the swinging edge must be protected with a lip, against jemmy bar attack.
Benny_Gee
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by schweppo » 14 Jan 2024, 10:36 am

Guys,
Please read Schedule 4 of the firearms act. You DO NOT have to use hinges, A spindle or pivot can be used. Sandleford safes from Bunnings DO MEET WA requirements.
schweppo
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment