Have you ever regretted spending "just a few more bucks""

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Have you ever regretted spending "just a few more bucks""

Post by SAnewb85 » 24 Jul 2020, 6:12 pm

Hi all, while looking at .22lr options and as with all hobby related purchases I started at 1 price point, then found something else for "just a few more bucks" and so the cycle continues until I'm at double the original budget and then I slap myself with reality and end up back where I started.

So the question is- even though it may have hurt your pocket at the time, have you ever really regretted spending "just a few more bucks" on your guns.

(Been looking at the cz455 carbon mdt/457 mdt, tikka tx1 and then sort of going ridiculous looking at a vudoo barreled action in a chassis. 99% target use, all suggestions/info/links are greatly appreciated)

Cheers
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: Have you ever regretted spending "just a few more bucks"

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 Jul 2020, 6:21 pm

No, nor have I regretted not doing it. I have never bought a gun based on price, only on whether it would do the job, felt good in the hand and I liked the look of it, those are my only criteria for hunting rifles. Collectibles on the other hand, I have many regrets not bidding just that bit more. C'est la vie.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Jul 2020, 6:25 pm

Oh s**t...this thread has the potential to explode...

Here is 1 example from my own doing.
Bought a Howa 300wm in houge stock. It shot well - 12mm groups. But stock was flexing and thought...I should get it stiffened And it might shoot a little better...so started googling/shopping...inside a couple hours, had spent $3k on new chassis, new scope, accessories, etc - only to then shoot 2” groups. Weeeeeeeeeee —— fail!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 24 Jul 2020, 6:31 pm

Buy what you want mate. Pay once cry once. No point buying something only to end up selling to buy what you really wanted in the first place. I applied that theory when I purchased a thermal scope last year. Cost a fair bit but better than upgrading later on.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jul 2020, 7:07 pm

SAnewb85 wrote:Hi all, while looking at .22lr options and as with all hobby related purchases I started at 1 price point, then found something else for "just a few more bucks" and so the cycle continues until I'm at double the original budget and then I slap myself with reality and end up back where I started.

So the question is- even though it may have hurt your pocket at the time, have you ever really regretted spending "just a few more bucks" on your guns.

(Been looking at the cz455 carbon mdt/457 mdt, tikka tx1 and then sort of going ridiculous looking at a vudoo barreled action in a chassis. 99% target use, all suggestions/info/links are greatly appreciated)

Cheers

Maybe if you ever decided to sell it, you might regret how much you paid for it, but if you plan to keep it the price doesn't much matter.
If spending more will in some way add to the value you get out of it over time then it's probably worth it. If paying more means you're likely to get out shooting more often than you might have with a budget firearm then it's definitely worth it.

I try to shoot a lot, as much as possible, so I recoup the value of the purchase pretty quickly in enjoyment just over the first few weeks or months of owning a firearm. Many of my firearms I would've spent more on shooting them within the first year than I spent buying them originally. My .22's I would spend several times their purchase price on ammo per year, .22's are tons of fun :-)

I just checked my logs and even my air-rifles will only take about two years at the rate I shoot them to shoot their own purchase prices worth of ammo. The cheaper .177" pellets are only about $10/500rds (2c apiece), but some of the exotic stuff is $33/225rds (14.7c apiece) or more. One rifle uses CO2 cartridges, which adds to the cost of shooting it - about 40rds per cartridge, and I think I paid $80 for 50 cartridges ($1.60 apiece adds 4c per shot). Even shooting cheap stuff, my $318 Ruger 10/22 CO2 air-rifle will have fired its own value of ammo within about 5000rds. I mainly feed it H&N Field Target Trophy at around $20/500rds though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 24 Jul 2020, 7:46 pm

Short answer: No. However it wasn't only a few more bucks but twice the price of anything else I own. Same goes for scopes BTW. Never had to touch that rifle but have had to fettle all the rest; sometimes to the detriment of my composure.
The moral of the story is that you have to get your rifles custom made, if you want trouble free shooting. Anything else is a gamble. Do you feel like taking a chance, mate? Many do and are not disappointed.
Good luck :) :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 24 Jul 2020, 8:02 pm

No. Never.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 24 Jul 2020, 8:15 pm

Only ever had regrets when trying to save a few bucks and trying something that the LGS said would be just as good but cheaper. Always found out that it wasnt as good as the more expensive well known brand.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by CrackThump » 24 Jul 2020, 8:24 pm

Errrmm. No.. I cant say Ive ever regretted blowing the budget, as long as its on quality or upgrades.

My recent LA102 purchase started off as $xxxx for rifle and scope.. and quickly blew out to $xxxxxx for a better scope, aftermarket magazine, hardcase, muzzle brake, sling, dedicated bipod.....

In the end it was a grand over budget, but I have a sweet new toy fully rigged hahahaha.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by in2anity » 24 Jul 2020, 9:37 pm

Big money don’t make you a better shooter, just sayin :drinks: there’s a lot to be learnt from a humble rifle with humble sights
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 24 Jul 2020, 9:49 pm

Never.

Buy once, cry once.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by targetshooter900 » 24 Jul 2020, 9:59 pm

Definitely seconding the buy once, cry once motto. Buy good and be happy with it, otherwise you'll end up either wishing you'd done just that, or selling and upgrading anyway
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SAnewb85 » 25 Jul 2020, 12:07 am

You guys are a bad influence haha.
I actually expected this exact response.

I think for my purposes and skill level (non existent) one of the CZ's will be better than me. I'm really looking forward to putting a ton of rounds down range.
I think the .22 will definitely be my most used rifle.
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by moudzj » 25 Jul 2020, 9:33 am

SAnewb85 wrote:You guys are a bad influence haha.
I actually expected this exact response.

I think for my purposes and skill level (non existent) one of the CZ's will be better than me. I'm really looking forward to putting a ton of rounds down range.
I think the .22 will definitely be my most used rifle.

Horsley Park GS has CZ'S on sale for 750 if you're in or around Sydney...
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Jul 2020, 9:58 am

Here is an Anschutz SuperMatch which you won't regret buying. Not the most practical rifle to go shooting bunnies but what a excellent range plinker.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=176781
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by targetshooter900 » 25 Jul 2020, 10:54 am

moudzj wrote:Horsley Park GS has CZ'S on sale for 750 if you're in or around Sydney...

They'll also ship to a local dealer near you and you can usually get the transfer done for around $50. May be cheaper even with shipping and transfer fee to buy it from them, at that price. Usually can get away with 100$ all up for shipping and transfer.
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 25 Jul 2020, 1:44 pm

Short answer 95% of the time no.

I'd buy a sako quad or anschutz before I bought a cz in 22LR.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 25 Jul 2020, 5:35 pm

with regards to the 22lr , i bought and sold a few till i settled on a cz452 american that shoots fantasically for the price . should i have bought a anshcutz ? maybe, they are slick and have adjustable triggers. will it shoot better than the cz ? maybe not :unknown:

as wm traynor posted , custom building is a good way of getting the qaulity gun that you want . i've rebuilt/rebarreled a few model 70 winchesters and had very good results . timney triggers, thicker recoil pads to adjust LOP , bedding , all add up to a nicer firearm

have i ever regretted spending a few more bucks ? no . have i regretted not spending more for a better starting point for a rifle build, or a better qaulity scope ? YES .

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 25 Jul 2020, 9:56 pm

SAnewb85 wrote:Hi all, while looking at .22lr options and as with all hobby related purchases I started at 1 price point, then found something else for "just a few more bucks"

<snip>

(Been looking at the cz455 carbon mdt etc)

Hi mate, I'd say "rarely" in answer to the quaestion.

I love my Marlin 1895GBL, it wasn't cheap. Nor was the optics attached to it.

I love my Lee Classic Turret reloading setup. Again, not cheap but I can see the value in it.

I loved my CZ in 17HMR... but when I realised it shot about on par with my $200 Norinco 22LR the fun was gone. I sold it fr what I paid and put a little bit of effort into the Norinco, they're branded as a Puma JW15 here in Australia and a like-for-like clone of a CZ / Bruno 22. Great little gun, I think they still sell for about 250 or so. Finish is good for a cheap gun but not on par with a CZ, and honestly I love the thing, the fact it was dirt cheap brand new is just icing on the cake.

Aside from that, I have a mate with a new CZ carbon. Its insanity for a 22LR rifle. Shoots well etc but I just don't get it. Carbon barrel-shrouded, syn-stocked horror show if you ask me. All so you can group 1 to 1.5 MOA. WTF.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Robin » 26 Jul 2020, 11:45 am

Plenty of times I regret as soon as I walk out of the shop, however as soon as I play with what I purchased, the regret turns into enjoyment, the only real time I worry is when I have to explain it to the minister of war and finance .
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 26 Jul 2020, 3:39 pm

The only thing I regretted was when "she of indoors" found out as to what I spent. (still worth it though)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jul 2020, 4:49 pm

Bugman wrote:The only thing I regretted was when "she of indoors" found out as to what I spent. (still worth it though)

My girlfriend told me last night that I have another rifle coming :-)
A friend's father died and she has to dispose of his rifle, when she eventually finds where it's hidden on the farm. It was originally her grandfather's rifle, and she's 70-odd, so I'm guessing some breed of single-shot .22LR. Not related to the family, but it's always nice to have the background story to an old firearm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 27 Jul 2020, 4:47 am

In some ways, yes. I picked up a CZ 452 for $600 once and it shot far better than any rifle at that price should have. Here are 26 shots at 50 metres (with the first shot through the centre of a bull to sight in).

50mSKGroups.jpg
50mSKGroups.jpg (562.79 KiB) Viewed 7866 times

I sold that rifle and bought a Weihrauch HW 66 that cost almost three times the price. It shoots a little bit better, but not 3x better.

I would not hesitate to recommend a CZ to anyone. Some are better than others, but I've seen similar groups to mine shot by other CZ owners.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by bigpete » 27 Jul 2020, 4:56 am

TassieTiger wrote:Oh s**t...this thread has the potential to explode...

Here is 1 example from my own doing.
Bought a Howa 300wm in houge stock. It shot well - 12mm groups. But stock was flexing and thought...I should get it stiffened And it might shoot a little better...so started googling/shopping...inside a couple hours, had spent $3k on new chassis, new scope, accessories, etc - only to then shoot 2” groups. Weeeeeeeeeee —— fail!

Well that was silly.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 27 Jul 2020, 7:26 am

Flyer wrote:In some ways, yes. I picked up a CZ 452 for $600 once and it shot far better than any rifle at that price should have. Here are 26 shots at 50 metres (with the first shot through the centre of a bull to sight in).

50mSKGroups.jpg

I sold that rifle and bought a Weihrauch HW 66 that cost almost three times the price. It shoots a little bit better, but not 3x better.

I would not hesitate to recommend a CZ to anyone. Some are better than others, but I've seen similar groups to mine shot by other CZ owners.

:lol: i went through the same thing . i tried a few different 22's and bought a new weihrauch hw 66. very nice rifle ,very accurate , but heavy . i ended up with a cz 452 american that is much lighter and shoots just as good

mind you i would like a hw60j in 17 hmr :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 27 Jul 2020, 3:12 pm

I ended up with a CZ 453 varmint in 17hmr. It has the set trigger, which is better than the stock set-up. My HW 66 is heavy – right on 4kg with scope, which is the maximum limit for field rifle competition.

Here's how the CZ 453 shoots – I couldn't not have a CZ in my safe
17hmr.jpg
17hmr.jpg (308.77 KiB) Viewed 7776 times

And here's a test group from the HW 66. Groups got smaller (top left to right) with SK Standard, then I switched to SK Match which opened up a little but then went back to one-hole groups. I can't see how a 22 could be any more accurate. They say the Weihrauch's are equal to an Anschutz 54, but at a 64 price.
JMgroups.jpg
JMgroups.jpg (534.56 KiB) Viewed 7776 times
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by bigrich » 27 Jul 2020, 9:22 pm

yeah flyer, the weihrauch's are a good thing . they use the same great trigger and build qaulity on their air rifles too :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mickb » 28 Jul 2020, 4:53 pm

yeah price point creep is a known disorder mate for hobbies and there is no cure but to buy something and stop thinking about it. :D I used to do excactly the same thing SAnewb85 with 22LR . Start out with looking at stirling, norinco or marlin on special, then advance to savage or ruger american, then to CZ since the price was '"almost the same if I could find one on special', :D Then the Lithgow and Tikka would get a look in. The fact is, money does buy quality but most of these are still mass produced. You might get the ordinary shooter or the the great one. If you go onto rimfire central, the biggest rimfire forum, the general consensus is if you want match quality you pay for stuff like anchutz or customise a project gun. CZ does tend to bes a good quality and price point for general shooting, especially the older CZ452. The CZ guys have a lot of loyalty but the CZ455 and the latest 457 dont get the same amount of enthusiasm. In fact if you ask what CZ to buy there you will get a few votes on the thread to find a nice used CZ452. I did all this a few years back and put money on a CZ452 layby, then a Ruger 96/22 lever action came up which I had been chasing for years, and it shot so well, I cancelled the order for the CZ.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by SAnewb85 » 31 Jul 2020, 3:49 pm

I have decided on the cz457 in an mdt chassis from the Adelaide gun shop for now. Will look into the 455/annie/vudoo later on.

Price is only $100 more than the east coast shops and id like to support local when i can.

Have enquired about howa 6.5 creedmoor and 300wm in mdt chassis.

Expensive bloody hobby this one haha
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Flyer » 02 Aug 2020, 3:13 pm

I owned a 455 and it was nowhere near as consistent as the 452. I've known other shooters with the same issues. At least some were traced back to the pinned barrel design. I can't comment on the 457 as I've never owned one, but I'd look at a 452 before a 455. A Weihrauch will be cheaper than an Annie and shoot just as well. You can sometimes find them near-new for $1K or less on usedguns. Everyone has their preference, but these are all rifles I've had experience with and I shoot in competition regularly.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles