Spika Safe Help - Keypad

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Spika Safe Help - Keypad

Post by wooosaah » 24 Jan 2019, 10:39 pm

I have a Spika SCH1 with a number pad. The pad was beeping so I put in a new battery (took me hours to figure out what the beeping was). The battery I put in was kinda old, my code worked and it opened but the beep sounded dull like "beep beep boooooop". So I took it out and put in one I knew was newer figuring that battery was no good.
Since putting in the newer battery the pad has stopped working. It seems that only 3 numbers actually work (they beep when pressed) but the rest do nothing so I can't even attempt my code. I've tried changing to all 3 batteries and outcome is the same now.

Can anyone offer any advice? I've searched but can't find a product manual or anything online.
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Spika Safe Help - Keypad

Post by No1_49er » 25 Jan 2019, 12:48 am

How old is it? Warranty job?
Has a Manual "override" (key) - according to the product "features".
Did you try contacting Spika, or the vendor if it's warranty?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Jan 2019, 7:18 am

Try a Duracell alkaline battery, I use the override key like 49er suggested..
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wooosaah » 25 Jan 2019, 8:07 am

It's less than 2 years old. Spika don't have a phone number just an email form so thought I'd post here to try get a quicker answer as well.
I have the key but num pad is more convenient.
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2019, 8:29 am

SCJ429 wrote:Try a Duracell alkaline battery, I use the override key like 49er suggested..

My safes have four AA batteries, but I replace them every year. before they could even start to play up.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 25 Jan 2019, 8:33 am

Have you actually measured the voltage in the newer battery? I've had batteries come out of the packet essentially flat in the past. Also, check the connection behind the key pad isnt loose. Beyond that, it's probably a warranty claim. Easy to swap out the old key pad with a new one.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by junjun » 28 Jul 2020, 11:19 pm

Ok, so i have the same problem. Exactly the same. Sometimes when I key in my 4 digits code, after 3 number it doesn't response anyway, sometimes 4 digits but can't finish with the #. Sometimes it just doesn't response at all. From time to time the pad goes beep beep beep, and then the whole thing is dead. Wait for a couple of days and it works fine. Contacted Spika, it's not under warranty, I have to pay for a new key pad for $60. Lousy product.
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Jul 2020, 11:31 am

Do the spikka elec key pad safes have a hidden key access behind the input pad for emergencies?

If so - you could always scrap the key pad all together and use the two access keys ?

eBay has replacement digital pads but you’d have to assume the spikka have theirs fitted a certain way to look different.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 29 Jul 2020, 1:08 pm

Yep one key under the keypad at the keypad is a round inset on top of screw remove to change keypad
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Jul 2020, 11:14 pm

I bought a HOMACK (made in USA) safe and right from brand new it would not recognize the factory code, and nor could I set my own.
It looked like being a waste of time trying for warranty, so I took it to a local locksmith.

He said that the factory fitted pads are usually cheap and nasty crap from china.
He fitted another pad (I think by memory was Aussie made) and its worked faultlessly now for years.

There is also the manual key lock behind the pad.

The new pad that was fitted is slightly larger physically than the original and so you can't even see that it has been changed.

But I guess the old saying is still true,,,,,,, You get what you pay for.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by mickb » 02 Aug 2020, 12:05 pm

Unfortunately this is the problem with gun safes not actually being safes but lower grade security cabinets. Anything with a keypad and also a "key over ride" is the manufacturer saying he doesnt trust his product, because its cheap chinese electronics.

Cash safes used by businesses use keypad brands like lagard, more expensive but standalone and highly reliable. Some may also have a key lock as well but it it cant over ride the keypad, both need to be unlocked to open the safe and therefore form a double security measure.

My suggestion if you cant get it fixed by warranty is talk to a local locksmith or even pay the callout fee of $50-80. On real safes it is not difficult to replace key locks with keypads or combo dials or vice versa.The verdict will probably be junk the keypad and install or rely on keylock only.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment