bringing home the bacon

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

bringing home the bacon

Post by marksman » 29 Jul 2020, 8:53 pm

a farmer friend decided he thought l needed a pig so he reared one up on milk and grain for me
he rang and told me to come early in the morning as he has been seeing deer out in the new pasture
he thought it would be good to make some pork and venison sausages , l agreed
just about at his gate in thick fog doing between 50-60 klm l see this big roo in front so l hit the brakes
the roo hops twice then in front of me, it was like hitting a tree no kidding

you might think that's where the story ends but no its not
l went to the wreckers who l always go to, its a jolley good one ;) and spend half a day carefully disassembling two of thier cars to get some good parts
including a green guard, you remove and its $72, when l get to the counter the staff member tells me "my brother l have to charge you for the blinker repeater, the mouldings and the inner guard separately", l'm saying WTF, so l pulled the guard and was quoted $72 but really it was $120 after you add it all together that l could have paid less for and had someone else remove :wtf:
and guess what they double the price if they pull it off for you so if you leave the gear at the counter it gets sold as if they did the work :thumbsdown:

anyone else had similar experiences, am l wrong to think this is farked :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: bringing home the bacon

Post by marksman » 29 Jul 2020, 8:57 pm

and by the way it was a big pig dressed out it took 3 of us to get it into the back of the car

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Jarhead » 29 Jul 2020, 8:59 pm

How's the roo?
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jul 2020, 9:51 pm

Thats too bad. But look out, often comes in 3s.
Stock last week, car this week, what's next?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Jul 2020, 10:07 pm

It’s a Cherokee? Are you sure you didn’t just hit the brakes and those parts fell off ?? Ok - I’m kidding lol.

Yeah - that is bulls**t MM... Wonder what would have happened if you took parts straight to your boot - then said here’s ya $72 as quoted...Thing is I guess - they can advertise parts on line and their market is bigger than used to be. Wreckers ain’t what they used to be...

Nice pig though - if you had have hit that in the Cherokee or any car for that matter ? Shiiiit lolz.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Grandadbushy » 29 Jul 2020, 10:25 pm

Yeah a big roo and an educated one as well looks like he stole your wheel as well :lol: :lol: Nah just kidding mate it's a bugga having to deal with slippery second hand car parts dealers , they can put you in a win/win situation for them sometimes :thumbsdown: nice size and good looking pig mate, did you weigh it after beheading it and gutting. I butchered my two last week both went around 72 kg @ 5mths old mine were ''Large Whites'' a common breed. are you going to make some bacon as well ? I made 6kg of bacon and 1okg of ''Maltese'' sausages the rest went to chops , roasts, pickled pork and marinated spare ribs.
I bet you got cranky with hitting that bloody roo not to mention the parts dealer but hope it all gets sorted mate :thumbsup: :drinks:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jul 2020, 11:20 pm

Expensive sausages. A roo recently smashed in my front guard panel and as I wasdriving forward he ironed into my door panel as well I know a bloke on a property Who was hit recently by a roo while on a bike and he broke his leg in the accident. ThrY really are a menace
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Jul 2020, 11:36 pm

So true when ya think about it.
Hardly any-one hits a roo.

The roo usually always hits you. :thumbsup:

The real painful bit comes when you see the roo pick itself up and hop away. :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 30 Jul 2020, 11:13 am

after stopping l put the torch back where the roo was lying, not very far probably less than 10 meters away and the roo was kicking around on the ground, l wanted to go and put a bullet into him but didn't as in the dark he looked huge and l thought "l'll go over and he will jump up and kick my guts out" but he was dead on the side of the road when l went past on the way home,

l did think about the "this is number 2 now whats going to be #3"

your right Tassie if it had been the pig l hit it would have been worse, one thing l did see though was that the car panels crumpled instead of bending the chassis because of there design, it was easy to straighten out and put back together, the chassis did not move at all, l have always thought cars are not made right anymore and called them tinny but it was a hell of a lot easier to repair than other cars l have done that are a more solid build, it took half a day playing at the wreckers and a day of swapping over parts to fix it and cost under $400, the only new part l had to buy was the headlight support panel thats included in the price

"slippery second hand car parts dealers" you can say that again Grandad, l ended up emailing the firm as they are a big 3 yard firm and got a reply from the general manager who gave an explanation that the staff had to charge like that because it would take too long to delete the extras off the system and would cause problems by sending people down to the cars not being able to find the part :lol:
l also asked him if he sold doors complete or did a customer have to pay extra for the trim ect...
he replied "no you get the whole door complete for the price and do not have to pay for every little thing on the door"
l sent him another email and told him the doors have moulding as well :wtf: :lol: l did respect him taking the time to email me with a BS excuse :lol:

l've got Italian spicy flavour for the sausage Grandad and will be making roasts, spare ribs, some pickled pork
but l do not have a clue how to make bacon :unknown:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 30 Jul 2020, 1:50 pm

So you had a rifle and left an injured animal lying on the road to die? I've always dispatched animals after I've hit them – it's the least you can do.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2020, 2:22 pm

Flyer wrote:So you had a rifle and left an injured animal lying on the road to die? I've always dispatched animals after I've hit them – it's the least you can do.

Pretty sure it's illegal to do that in Vic. Sounds crazy I know.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Jul 2020, 2:27 pm

Here we go again - should I take the bait and assume that flyer knows all the circumstances? Nah...I’m sure he’d not really, Not truly illegally fire a rifle, risking prosecution And loss of licence...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Flyer » 30 Jul 2020, 2:46 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Flyer wrote:So you had a rifle and left an injured animal lying on the road to die? I've always dispatched animals after I've hit them – it's the least you can do.

Pretty sure it's illegal to do that in Vic. Sounds crazy I know.

OK, if it's illegal then fair enough – but that wasn't mentioned as the reason. The last animal I accidentally ran over was a brown snake and I went back and hit it on the head with a wooden post because I had nothing else on me. I don't enjoy killing animals for no reason, even snakes, and I know a few country coppers who would turn a blind eye if you did it for the right reason.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by mickb » 30 Jul 2020, 4:14 pm

mate you need a decent sized truck like mine and you wont have problems. Suzkuki Jimny :lol: Funnily enough I have hit two animals at high speed , and got luckly with no damage yet. Those little jimny bumpers are tough as buggary. Nice pig btw!
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 30 Jul 2020, 4:26 pm

Lucky you to be remote enough every time it happens to you. I hit a roo on a busy highway at night, and a pig in a local road. Couldnt find either, one too hazardous parked on the side of the road, the other I was more concerned about getting the vehicle home asap. In neither case would I have been discharging a gun in those areas anyway, or trying to stab a dying pig to death with a leathermans.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Grandadbushy » 30 Jul 2020, 4:42 pm

Yeah i'm hearing you marksman with what you did , In a perfect world i doubt any of us shooters or anyone for that matter would like to leave an animal on the side of the road injured but there comes a time when the question has to be asked do i front this large animal or keep my safety and move on , it's illegal up here as well to shoot an animal on the side of the road or kill it manually but yes there are police people who understand the situation and would turn a blind eye as they say ''But'' there are just as many police that won't so i can understand the problem one would have in that situation, so mate what's done is done and you can rest easy full well knowing that its suffering has ceased, just one of those things that confront you in the bush at times.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 30 Jul 2020, 5:20 pm

my safety will always come first flyer, and so should yours, l do think about the animals welfare but in this situation l would not take the chance
l do work for a pro shooter culling roos as well as culling roo's on farmers tags, for the farmer where l was heading as well and l do have enough experience to know when its a bad idea to put yourself in danger, as well as it being illegal to shoot roo's on the side of the road

anyway the cars back on the road and the pigs getting butchered tomorrow, l'm a bit worried about number 3 now though :lol:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 30 Jul 2020, 5:24 pm

Well marksman there's a couple of ways to make bacon if you like it a little salty or not salty i like the little salty because i can cook an egg and some tomato then bacon and not have to use salt to eat it, and you don't taste too much salt, then you can make less salty but it doesn't cure as much so relies on fridge so as not to go tacky in a couple of mths, recipe is 60% course salt, 40% ''Brown'' sugar (best is sugar with a little molasses left in it ''dark sugar'' ) cracked pepper, white pepper and (Nitr) but not necessary if you don't want to use a preservative . mix enough to rub and cover bacon in a tray, turn every day for 3-6 days which ever is salty enough for you but not less than 4days, the pork to use is the lower part of the belly half way between the back and bottom of the belly between the front leg and back leg it's the bit with all the tits on work out how long you want the chops and use the rest of it for bacon if you need more info pm me mate. here's an example of recipe 3kg salt, 2kg sugar, 4 tbl spoons of cracked black pepper,1 tbl spoon of white pepper, 30g kwikcure or hi-cure (optional) layer of salt cure ,layer of pork, layer of salt cure and so on then place in fridge or cold room turn every day and cover some times i have to mix more cure to make do because the first cure will melt some off so empty the fluid out when it accumulates
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Jul 2020, 6:16 pm

^ a bit of gold there! I’ve screen shotted for future reference- cheers GDB.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Grandadbushy » 31 Jul 2020, 7:49 am

Yeah no worries TT if in future you want to fine tune it ,its quiet easy to do ,What i did fail to mention was if you want it smoked , after curing for the amount of time you require then wash off cure with ordinary water if it's to salty (just cut a bit off and fry) you can soak it in water for up to 2 hrs then pat dry and hang till it's reasonably dry then smoke for 3-4 hrs or there is a liquid smoke you can buy,( which i use) just use a paint brush and paint over the bacon, use straight out of the bottle don't dilute , i find one painting is perfect so then hang till fairly dry then either pack into fridge or freezer or what i do is put it into the fridge and slice up next morning and pack into amounts required for every day use then freeze. it's not hard to make just time consuming when your busy ,it's a very old recipe we used in the butcher shop even before liquid smoke but i find liquid smoke is as good or even better than a smoker and a lot easier but don't spill it in the kitchen or on clothes or you will be living in a smoky smelling world for awhile ''lol''
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 31 Jul 2020, 10:03 am

yummmmo Grandad

l'm going to put a bit aside for this, l've been hanging for an excuse to get the smoker out, thanks for passing on the know how :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation