School me on Hunting

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: School me on Hunting

Post by NTSOG » 29 Jul 2020, 8:34 am

"Do I need a four wheel drive to have access into state forests guys?"

In many cases the bush roads are okay in the dry, though rough, but don't get caught after sunset and before sunrise with night vision or spotlighting gear in state forests, especially when the area is recognised deer habitat. I asked the local District Firearms Officer about my area in which there are red deer and samba, but the Shire is not recognised deer habitat according to the Department Of Environment, Land, Water And Planning. The DFO's advice was that I shouldn't push my luck.

JIm
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jul 2020, 9:38 am

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:So, you haven't mentioned target species or what you intend using?

I wanna start hunting rabbits & hares OldBloke
Then I want to work my way up to goats as well
But I wanna start with rabbits and hares

I assume u have a 22lr then?
Not many of those in SF mate. Look in SF but near farms.
4x4, I would not rush out and buy one. About 50% of roads/Tracks can be negotiated with care useing 4x2.
Take spade, rope, perhaps chains or max trax.
Drive little, walk a lot. Later if yr still keen look for a 4x4. Road clearance is just as important. A normal ute will get you a long way with decent tyres.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 29 Jul 2020, 10:30 am

Second the advice to not rush out and get a 4WD, especially if your current vehicle has reasonable ground clearance and tyres... basically anything but a low-slung sports car like a Toyota 86. If you know how to drive it you'll be surprised what you can do. I'd recommend recovery tracks and a good shovel as a minimum to take with you if you're unsure.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Ferrisweil » 29 Jul 2020, 3:23 pm

Woah, woah, woah, hold on there!! A Toyota 86, a sports car??!!! Let’s not misinform the lad. He’s not going to become a hairdresser. :lol: :lol:
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jul 2020, 10:23 pm

JimTom wrote:All good advice so far mate, however, given your specific questions, I would endeavour to go along on a hunt or two with an experienced hunter just to get that bit of exposure prior to spearing off into the scrub by yourself. Whilst hunting is a lot of fun, of course it also has a serious side and there are plenty of things that can bring you unstuck if you are ill prepared.

Words of wisdom. Take it from me, it's hard yards starting out on your own.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Jul 2020, 10:56 pm

Oldbloke wrote: A normal ute will get you a long way with decent tyres.

Yer not wrong there,,,,,,,, years ago when I was a keen surf fisher with a pretty mean fourbie,,,, I was headed along a very steep and loose beach, where if you made a simple error in judgement or hesitated at the wrong time you'd find yourself really stuck.
In those instances you immediately start watching the tide a helluva lot closer.

Anyway,,,,,,, half way along this beach I was confronted with a gob smacking sight.

There ,,,, parked half way up a sandhill was a calf sh!t colored HQ ute, and a couple of blokes headed down to the beach with surf rods.

My mate who had already driven past and was fishing when I pulled up at our favorite spot further on was also bewildered.
For the life of us we couldn't figure out how they got there,,,,,,,, and to this day it's still a mystery.
We were gonna stop and ask them on the way out,,,,,,, but they had apparently packed up early and already gone when we headed back.

We were pretty sure that the ute was NOT one of those limited edition 4X4's that Holden put out.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 31 Jul 2020, 8:00 am

I am no authority on GMH products but I think that the 4x4 Holden Utes were Overlander HJ and HZ but there were no HQs.

I was out in a State Forrest in a four wheel drive with all the kit in the snow and got overtaken by a Toyota Starlet. They didn't have any problems with the conditions.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Peter988 » 31 Jul 2020, 8:47 am

The old Holden with a limited slip diff could go a lot of places.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Aug 2020, 1:45 pm

Join a bowhunting forum , or listen to those with experience in such The equipment necessitates excellent stalking skills ... many years of it has helped me tune my methods and it quickly cuts out any sort of sloppy approach
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 01 Aug 2020, 9:32 pm

Yeah a limited slip diff will get you a lot of places, as will a well sorted small front wheel drive car.

Look at the World Rally Championship racing categories - they banned front wheel drive after the good old Toyota Celica thrashed the opposition. There were other factors at play too but hey, thats what happened.

Big vote for a Mid 1990's Nissan Micra, they had a lot going for them and can still be picked up cheap. Fold-flat rear seats for a mini-van type arrangement, about 80hp for 750kg of kerb weight, and surprisingly usable as an every day car even if you're a taller bloke.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Aug 2020, 10:45 pm

The biggest advantage you can ever have in hunting is by getting to know your prey, know their routine, how they react to the seasons, the weather, when they are least and most alert, where they feed, where they head to sleep, where when they head to water, how predators (dogs, foxes and cats) hone in on their prey and so on.
You'll save lots of time and effort with that knowledge.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control