The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by AJB » 17 Jul 2020, 11:58 am

:D :D
Attachments
Screenshot_20200717-115106_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200717-115106_Gallery.jpg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 6964 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jul 2020, 4:20 pm

I took mushrooms and stole a panther from the zoo but he crawled out my window one night and never came back
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 18 Jul 2020, 3:22 am

Ah that explains it then Blr :thumbsup: :lol: :lol:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 18 Jul 2020, 2:10 pm

Ah C'mon BLR you must've borrowed more than 1 black panther going by the sightings or did ya mate borrow 1 too?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jul 2020, 3:10 pm

Can’t remember how many panthers I stole but if ever anybody shoots one I guess they could expect 100 grand to sell the story exclusive to the media
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 18 Jul 2020, 8:49 pm

Blr243 wrote:Can’t remember how many panthers I stole but if ever anybody shoots one I guess they could expect 100 grand to sell the story exclusive to the media

you may not want the attention
the guy who shot the big black cat that l sighted in his rifle for got death threats and 24hrs a day phone calls from the media, he had to go into hiding :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jul 2020, 9:24 pm

I had to deal with the media once many years ago...they were the most selfish greedy, awful. Ruthless insensitive vermin. I can see why they get belted occasionally
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 19 Jul 2020, 8:16 am

G'day All,

Last night's entertainment: this dog came in - to about 85 yards at 7:00 PM - to gnaw on a 'roo carcass on my place. [The 'roo had failed to clear a fence 10 days ago and was hung up and well shocked by the electric fence. They don't last long once wrapped up like that.] I should have stayed out longer despite the screaming wind and cold as the carcass had been moved about 20 feet overnight - there must have been a couple more hungry blighters, all coming out of the pine plantation.

Jim
Attachments
IMG_18326t.jpg
IMG_18326t.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 6895 times
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jul 2020, 8:16 am

marksman wrote:
Blr243 wrote:Can’t remember how many panthers I stole but if ever anybody shoots one I guess they could expect 100 grand to sell the story exclusive to the media

you may not want the attention
the guy who shot the big black cat that l sighted in his rifle for got death threats and 24hrs a day phone calls from the media, he had to go into hiding :unknown:

Bloody hell. Where brought that on?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jul 2020, 8:27 am

Only once have I ever found a roo alive and well in a fence.....has anyone else ever found the same ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 19 Jul 2020, 8:36 am

G'day Blr243,

I have found two [small] 'roos alive trapped in fences and managed to set them free. Both hopped off down the paddock 100 yards or so and died later. I know a bloke who found a very large [live] buck 'roo caught in the wire once. He shot it as he considered it too dangerous to try to release it.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jul 2020, 11:16 am

Some graziers , probably very few as I have never seen it , set wire loop snares under Fences at spots where Roos regularly push under fences .. it’s illegal. But when u think about it a multi strand fence roughly one metre tall is actually a roo trap along its entire length
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Vicko » 19 Jul 2020, 12:03 pm

Nice way to start the morning. Something new for me.
Saw a couple of foxes trotting amongst the trees not far from the shed yesterday morning just before sunup. So I was there waiting this morning.
I've never used a caller before, but thought I'd try with just a bluetooth speaker connected to my phone. Got setup prone on a little mound, wind was good. Ok lets do this. I s**t you not it took no more than 3 minutes before this big fella came running out from the trees in hunt mode. Stopped and looked in the direction that I'd hidden the speaker (in amongst a low grass tree). Trotted around behind some cover and popped his head up over a mound for a look at about 75yards. The little HMR nailed him right between the eyes and he just dropped where he stood. Thats the way, ahuh ahuh, we like it.

Will see if I can coax out his mate tomorrow...
Attachments
bullseye.jpg
bullseye.jpg (736.21 KiB) Viewed 6880 times
bigdogcalledin.jpg
bigdogcalledin.jpg (593.49 KiB) Viewed 6880 times
morningview.jpg
morningview.jpg (686.43 KiB) Viewed 6880 times
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AJB » 19 Jul 2020, 12:53 pm

:clap: :clap: nice fox vicko
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 19 Jul 2020, 2:56 pm

Most excellent result Vicko.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 19 Jul 2020, 3:49 pm

Good job Vicko. Maybe you don't need another rifle afterall?

Jim.
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Vicko » 19 Jul 2020, 5:55 pm

Wash your mouth out Jim! lol

It's a great little rifle and positively lethal under 100m.
I've been asking too much of it when spotlighting by looking to shoot with it past 150. Yes I've knocked quite a few at that range, but too many good hits don't drop on the spot which is what I want. I reckon the bulk of the foxes we shoot at on my families farm are out past 150, so Dads 223 and 22-250 have been up to the task. I'm thinking if I get a 243 then I can also use it for bigger stuff too... and its a good flat accurate pill for long range and target stuff.

Still. I gotta get some glass sorted for my 30-06 first. Going backwards and forwards like a bloody pendulum at the moment trying to make a choice!
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AJB » 24 Jul 2020, 10:16 pm

:D :D a few more to this years tally
Attachments
20200724_211052.jpg
20200724_211052.jpg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 6791 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 24 Jul 2020, 10:17 pm

Attachments
20200724_213114.jpg
20200724_213114.jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 6791 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Vicko » 26 Jul 2020, 1:27 pm

Nice work AJB - sure looks dry where you are..

Chalked up another couple in the Western District of Vic last night. Both bitches. They're getting down to the sneaky ones...

First one at the top didn't even look at the light. I saw her body moving in the spotlight as she was in a recently eaten out paddock without much cover. She crept out from about 80m to around 120m where she dropped on her belly behind the shadow of a fence post. She still didn't look at the light but obviously thought she was hidden. But I could still see her. :) Solid thump from the 223 - She didn't move a muscle.

Second one gave the occasional flash of eyes but nothing more. First spotted her at about 150 slipping away through a big tree lined drain. We drove up a little bit closer and were being shadowed by a fairly loud mob of cows in the paddock beside us so we'd actually figured we wouldn't see her again.. lo and behold another eye flash but a far way further out. I got setup, Dad brought the light around and I could only see the sillhoutte of a head and one eye half open as she was laying on her belly with her head pretty low amongst the shadows almost directly facing us. Bang. No impact sound... but no movement. Hmmm. 'whats the story?' says Dad. 'Well I think it felt good'. Stay here and don't move the light, I'll go for a look. Turns out she didn't move either. Bullet went in just under her chin, through her chest and exited behind the ribs. She was a bit further out than I thought. closer to 200 than 150. But I'll take two for two.
Attachments
twoladies.png
Top one was a pretty big girl in really good condition
twoladies.png (3.53 MiB) Viewed 6761 times
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AJB » 26 Jul 2020, 4:06 pm

Nice couple of foxes vicko yeah mate is a bit dry here at the momment but we are getting some good rain today should green up pretty quick
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr.x » 30 Jul 2020, 4:30 pm

I’m sure it was this forum and sure was this topic someone posted an excellent pic if the breeding cycle of the red fox here in Australia and best time to whistle them in regard to when they mate and how responsive they are, buggered if I can find it
Mr.x
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2020, 7:49 pm

Wish I knew what the secret is. Biuggers refuse to respond to any whistles/calls I have for past couple of months. Just got ignored again this evening.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 31 Jul 2020, 7:06 am

G'day,

I was out whistling last night along a low reed-filled creek on a farm down the road, but only saw one blighter about 250 yards out and he scarpered. Otherwise I've seen none for several days after having whacked 6 in total over 7 days: 3 on the dead 'roo carcass and another 3 [in an hour] which came in after I dragged a dead chicken [donated by my neighbours] down the length of a paddock. In fact the chicken is still lying tied to the fence in the paddock and hasn't been touched over the last few days. It should be getting pretty ripe and should attract some 'trade' soon - or the wedgetails will take it.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AJB » 31 Jul 2020, 3:12 pm

Attachments
Screenshot_20200731-150953_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20200731-150953_Messages.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 6378 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 31 Jul 2020, 4:15 pm

Cripes AJB what did you do to its tail? I've heard of head shots, but never tail shots.

On the subject of calling the blighters an acquaintance told me his mate was part of a drive along a swamp last weekend and they saw and shot many pairs of foxes. I seem to remember Stix writing last year that when they are underground in their dens they tend not to respond to calls.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jul 2020, 4:23 pm

NTSOG wrote:Cripes AJB what did you do to its tail? I've heard of head shots, but never tail shots.

On the subject of calling the blighters an acquaintance told me his mate was part of a drive along a swamp last weekend and they saw and shot many pairs of foxes. I seem to remember Stix writing last year that when they are underground in their dens they tend not to respond to calls.

Jim

Yeh, that time of year. Dare I ask, would you? LOL
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AJB » 31 Jul 2020, 4:54 pm

:D :D ha ha no it aint a tail shot not sure but i think the blood is from the impact sometimes it can spray in some weird spots
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 01 Aug 2020, 6:48 am

Oldbloke: "Yeh, that time of year. Dare I ask, would you?"

You're not suggesting [shock, horror] that foxes are randy blighters and more interested in rooting around underground that dining on the stinky chicken I have laid out for them down the paddock?

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Aug 2020, 7:02 am

NTSOG wrote:Oldbloke: "Yeh, that time of year. Dare I ask, would you?"

You're not suggesting [shock, horror] that foxes are randy blighters and more interested in rooting around underground that dining on the stinky chicken I have laid out for them down the paddock?

Jim

Hmmmm,,,,yep. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control