Sub machine guns handed in.

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Sub machine guns handed in.

Post by Warrigul » 30 Jun 2014, 10:07 am

I can't find it online but in the Advocate (Tasmania) it was reported, with a picture, that two sub machine guns were handed in to the police mobile gun amnesty trailer.

A STEN gun and an F1 - both complete.

A bit of a coup after all the slug guns, single shot .22's and rusted out shotties they've been getting lately.

Someone may be able to find it online and post.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: Sub machine guns handed in.

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Jun 2014, 5:16 pm

I bet the officer that recieved those looked like this ... :shock:

At least some bike gang didnt get hold of them.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by riggee » 02 Jul 2014, 3:26 pm

I dunno about a STEN and an F1. This was the two SMG's though probably? Two 9mm's.

Operation Unification Nets 78 Guns

Tuesday, 1 July 2014 - 9:21 am.

Tasmania Police has taken almost 80 firearms, including a home-made weapon, out of circulation as part of Operation Unification – Illegal Guns Off Our Streets.

Of the haul, 36 firearms were seized by police and 42 were handed in at amnesties around the State. 19 of the seized firearms were illicit – unregistered with unauthorised possession. The remaining 17 seized firearms were registered, and further investigations are underway.

Included in the seized firearms was a home-made pistol seized from a property at George Town on Friday afternoon. An 18 year old man will appear in the Launceston Magistrates Court at a later date on firearms charges.

The home-made firearm was capable of firing a projectile. It’s believed 2 other home-made firearms were made by the offender and one of these firearms has already been recovered. These firearms are illegal under the Firearms Act 1996.

Investigations into the whereabouts of a third firearm are continuing.

Police conducted 45 targetted searches during the two-week operation which finished yesterday. A total of sixteen people will face court on firearms related offences.

The Operation was a national initiative to get illegal and unwanted guns out of circulation.

“A total of 78 seized and handed-in guns is an excellent result. These firearms can’t be used in crime, or targeted for theft by criminals,” said Senior Sergeant Craig Joel.

“We would really like to thank those people who handed in guns voluntarily.”

In yesterday’s mobile amnesty at Sheffield, a quantity of ammunition and 12 firearms were surrendered. The firearms were two 9mm sub-machine guns, a shotgun, 8 rifles and an air rifle.

We also want to thank those people who phoned Crime Stoppers with information.

“Information from the community is vital to helping us tackle gun crime.”

There is a permanent amnesty for handing in firearms. Under the Firearms Act 1996, any firearm can be handed into a police station and no further action will be taken in relation to possession offences.
Remington 700 Milspec 5R .300 Win Mag
Mossberg 640 KD .22 WMR
riggee
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Bourt » 02 Jul 2014, 3:28 pm

"...and an air rifle"

Talk about anti-climactic :lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 02 Jul 2014, 3:29 pm

"There is a permanent amnesty for handing in firearms."

I thought that got cancelled in Tasmania a few months ago?
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Warrigul » 02 Jul 2014, 4:10 pm

Gregg wrote:"There is a permanent amnesty for handing in firearms."

I thought that got cancelled in Tasmania a few months ago?

There is still a permanent amnesty but you have to hand them in directly to the Police now, unregistered firearms handed in to gun dealers could be legally registered and sold but that exemption has ceased
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by v8fazz » 04 Jul 2014, 1:44 am

v8fazz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by pajamatime » 04 Jul 2014, 3:35 pm

permanent amnesty is pretty awesome though.
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 05 Jul 2014, 1:01 pm

pajamatime wrote:permanent amnesty is pretty awesome though.

Sensible
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gregg » 06 Jul 2014, 9:28 am

Warrigul wrote:There is still a permanent amnesty but you have to hand them in directly to the Police now, unregistered firearms handed in to gun dealers could be legally registered and sold but that exemption has ceased

And the Police will only destroy them, that right?
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by riggee » 06 Jul 2014, 9:31 am

Warrigul wrote:
pajamatime wrote:permanent amnesty is pretty awesome though.

Sensible

Exactly, sensible.

The easier and less intimidating they make it for people to hand them in, the more will.

This hard line nonsense just puts people off IMO.
Remington 700 Milspec 5R .300 Win Mag
Mossberg 640 KD .22 WMR
riggee
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by beerd » 06 Jul 2014, 9:40 am

riggee wrote:This hard line nonsense just puts people off IMO.

I've always though that was particularly relevant for drug use. (That's use, not dealing).

You see these things on the net or paper or whatever where people who've overdosed get pushed through hospital doors unconscious in trolleys and that kind of thing before their friends run off because they're scared of getting in trouble. Worse they don't take the person in and just hope they recover.

I think it's Sweden or somewhere, and drug use there is 100% a public health issue. Not a criminal one. You can go to any hospital and say 'I'm a drug addict, I wan't to get off it and need help' and they just help you. That's it.

Here yelling "zero tolerance!" and "full extent of the law!" while shaking your fist angrily seems to be preferred.

If anyone can convince me the latter is a better option I'm all ears...
beerd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 06 Jul 2014, 1:21 pm

beerd wrote:
riggee wrote:This hard line nonsense just puts people off IMO.

I've always though that was particularly relevant for drug use. (That's use, not dealing).

You see these things on the net or paper or whatever where people who've overdosed get pushed through hospital doors unconscious in trolleys and that kind of thing before their friends run off because they're scared of getting in trouble. Worse they don't take the person in and just hope they recover.

I think it's Sweden or somewhere, and drug use there is 100% a public health issue. Not a criminal one. You can go to any hospital and say 'I'm a drug addict, I wan't to get off it and need help' and they just help you. That's it.

Here yelling "zero tolerance!" and "full extent of the law!" while shaking your fist angrily seems to be preferred.

If anyone can convince me the latter is a better option I'm all ears...

I guess the thing is as soon as you de criminalise drug use it increases, sure life expectency for users goes up but less people try and get off if supply is made easier.

I can't for the life of me think of any instance where someone has been prosecuted for asking for help, they get free needles, free health checks and drug advice and I know there are programs available for those that want to de tox but most don't.

The local emergency sees at least five cases of overdose each weekend (so I have been told by a family member)and there are only 25,000 people in our area.

Where there is a user there will always be a dealer.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by mausermate » 06 Jul 2014, 1:56 pm

I had an interesting situation a number of years ago where an unlicensed acquaintance gave me an unregistered firearm. He was scared, didn't know what to do, wanted to do the right thing. It wasn't during an amnesty but I immediately took it into my local dealer.

He rang the registry and they went on and on about how illegal it was, we can't do any thing because the amnesty is over and this that and the other thing until the dealer said "okay! I'll tell him to take it away again".

As you can guess...there was a hell of a blow up on the other end of the line. "You can't do that"

The dealer politely asked them what they would like him to do? Nice little hornet now registered, in the hands of a licensed owner and locked in a safe......

Why in god's earth a permanent amnesty has not been in since the beginning of time is a mystery to me.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by beerd » 07 Jul 2014, 3:01 pm

Warrigul wrote:I guess the thing is as soon as you de criminalise drug use it increases, sure life expectency for users goes up but less people try and get off if supply is made easier.

I hear you, but I don't think that's right. Say for example Heroin was legalised tomorrow, would you run out and start using it? No. I suspect this is the case for the vast majority of people.

It gets said a lot that laws don't stop people from doing anything. I think drugs is no exception. The people that want to take them will, regardless of whether it's legal or not - like they do already. It's illegal to speed, take drugs, steal, and a thousand other things people do every day.

I don't know anyone who I think would start taking any drug just because it became legal.

Warrigul wrote:I can't for the life of me think of any instance where someone has been prosecuted for asking for help, they get free needles, free health checks and drug advice and I know there are programs available for those that want to de tox but most don't.

The local emergency sees at least five cases of overdose each weekend (so I have been told by a family member)and there are only 25,000 people in our area.

I can't quote any cases either way, but you couldn't say many people don't have a serious fear of prosecution, whether we're talking drugs or unregistered firearms. How many of these people have sided with their fear and not gone to the hospital or not handed that unregistered firearm in? I think it would be a significant number.

On top of those 5 cases of overdose you mentioned, how many people do you think did overdose but not go to hospital or take a friend to hospital and just took their chances? Must be a few.

My point is that the harder you make it do so something, the less people will do it. On the other hand, if our Government had a clear widely advertised policy of "We just want to get X off the street. Bring it to us and we'll dispose of it, no questions asked." a lot of people who just want to sort it out would do it.

On balance, you don't think that would be a better option for all? For the greater good?

(Just to clarify all this, I don't use drugs an aren't condoning or condemning, just using it as an example)
beerd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by beerd » 07 Jul 2014, 3:03 pm

mausermate wrote:He was scared, didn't know what to do, wanted to do the right thing. It wasn't during an amnesty but I immediately took it into my local dealer.

mausermate wrote:He rang the registry and they went on and on about how illegal it was, we can't do any thing because the amnesty is over and this that and the other thing until the dealer said "okay! I'll tell him to take it away again".

As you can guess...there was a hell of a blow up on the other end of the line. "You can't do that"

That's exactly what I'm talking about. He did the right thing, but others wouldn't. The rifle would end up in the shed or chucked in a river or anywhere but accounted for an on the books.

The registry is happy to demonize the whole thing but isn't offering any solutions. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If they were clear that they just wanted it on the books and there would be no trouble, no doubt he'd have run straight down.

mausermate wrote:Why in god's earth a permanent amnesty has not been in since the beginning of time is a mystery to me.

+1
beerd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics