Marlin Dark series 357 stock- Issue?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Marlin Dark series 357 stock- Issue?

Post by Lcpllee » 02 Aug 2020, 2:35 pm

Got my first centerfire rifle, Marlin dark series 357, just love it.

I just notice some uneven surface under the stock, would this be an issue?

WeChat Image_20200802143208.jpg
WeChat Image_20200802143208.jpg (234.1 KiB) Viewed 3848 times

WeChat Image_20200802143208.jpg
WeChat Image_20200802143208.jpg (234.1 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
Attachments
WeChat Image_20200802143215.png
WeChat Image_20200802143215.png (2.5 MiB) Viewed 3848 times
Lcpllee
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Marlin Dark series 357 stock- Issue?

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Aug 2020, 3:05 pm

Are you referring to how the stock is proud of the bottom tang on both sides as well as the gap behind the rear of the tang?
I can't be sure but the rifle's pistol grip might be uncomfortable to hang on to during recoil. At best it is dodgy inletting and could be called cosmetically unattractive. If either of those ideas bothers you then try taking it up with the retailer.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 02 Aug 2020, 4:48 pm

The bottom tang can't be flush at the rear - else it'll drive a split in the stock. That's by design. With respect to the generally poor, fit and finish - that's a Remlin for yu :unknown: You roll the dice with em, some are better than others.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Aug 2020, 4:55 pm

Bloody shame. Marlin were very good for many years.

I think u get 3 options

Return for rectification
Put up with it.
File and sand.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lcpllee » 02 Aug 2020, 5:42 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Bloody shame. Marlin were very good for many years.

I think u get 3 options

Return for rectification
Put up with it.
File and sand.

Just remove the stock by myself and reinstall, much better now. No issue with the firing for now after 100 rounds. Hope it can keep this way, bit disappointed for a $2000 range rifle.
Lcpllee
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 03 Aug 2020, 6:04 am

What are those stocks made of? Maybe they know it is going to shrink over time
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Aug 2020, 9:15 am

Lcpllee wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Bloody shame. Marlin were very good for many years.

I think u get 3 options

Return for rectification
Put up with it.
File and sand.

Just remove the stock by myself and reinstall, much better now. No issue with the firing for now after 100 rounds. Hope it can keep this way, bit disappointed for a $2000 range rifle.

So, was it just not installed/fitted right?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by simmo » 04 Aug 2020, 6:43 pm

I was about to post a thread asking about Marlin lever guns as range toys. Thanks for posting, handy to see they can be a little tainted by Remington shoddiness.

Is the rifle okay aside from this issue?
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 04 Aug 2020, 7:16 pm

Simmo just so you know, factory lever guns won’t hold a sub-moa group. More like 2-3moa, probably. They are precise for the first couple, but after that your poi will probably wander, opening up your groups.

If you are punching paper, just keep your expectations in check - they are not comparable to a bolt gun, on many levels. That’s not what they are designed for. Good for smacking steel from offhand or dropping deer.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Aug 2020, 9:21 pm

In2 - why do the shots wonder ? Is there a way to accurise? Or they are what they are - leave be?
I too am stalking a marlin...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by in2anity » 04 Aug 2020, 9:27 pm

TassieTiger wrote:In2 - why do the shots wonder ? Is there a way to accurise? Or they are what they are - leave be?

TT probably the best way to explain is to read this article I wrote viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11991

Best to get a solid handle on how your gun shoots, and how you intend on shooting it, before going down this track. Accurizing old-style designs is finnicky - you take a lot for granted when using a modern gun in a modern bed.
Last edited by in2anity on 04 Aug 2020, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Aug 2020, 9:59 pm

in2anity wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:In2 - why do the shots wonder ? Is there a way to accurise? Or they are what they are - leave be?

TT probably the best way to explain is to read this article I wrote viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11991

Best to get a solid handle on how your gun shoots, and how you intend on shooting it before going down this track.

Fan bloody tastic - Thanks mate. Brilliant write up.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by wrenchman » 05 Aug 2020, 6:05 am

it is a nice looking guns what you shooting threw it
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by in2anity » 05 Aug 2020, 9:08 am

TassieTiger wrote:Fan bloody tastic - Thanks mate. Brilliant write up.

Barrel bands also play a big part in messing with your harmonics, for better or for worse. That guide presumes you have a gun with a forend hanger rather than a rear band. I will never buy another lever gun with particularly a rear band, because it's just another thing you have to consider accurizing. Potentially a big problem causer (for a target gun). Not so much an issue for the first 3 shots from cold, however, i.e a hunting outfit.

If you really want an exceptionally accurate Marlin, the safest bet is to try and get a pre-remington JM. But be prepared to pay for it - they don't come up very often.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lcpllee » 16 Aug 2020, 9:02 am

simmo wrote:I was about to post a thread asking about Marlin lever guns as range toys. Thanks for posting, handy to see they can be a little tainted by Remington shoddiness.

Is the rifle okay aside from this issue?

seems pretty ok other than that, has been shooting for a while, all good
Lcpllee
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by simmo » 13 Sep 2020, 11:52 pm

in2anity wrote:Simmo just so you know, factory lever guns won’t hold a sub-moa group. More like 2-3moa, probably. They are precise for the first couple, but after that your poi will probably wander, opening up your groups.

If you are punching paper, just keep your expectations in check - they are not comparable to a bolt gun, on many levels. That’s not what they are designed for. Good for smacking steel from offhand or dropping deer.

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking a lever rifle wouldn’t deliver bolt rifle accuracy. Was thinking it would be something fun. I shot a 45-70 marlin for the first time and thought it was a bit of fun and a different style of shooting. Though I figure .357 would be cheaper and easier to shoot.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 15 Sep 2020, 11:18 pm

simmo wrote:
in2anity wrote:Simmo just so you know, factory lever guns won’t hold a sub-moa group. More like 2-3moa, probably. They are precise for the first couple, but after that your poi will probably wander, opening up your groups.

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking a lever rifle wouldn’t deliver bolt rifle accuracy. Was thinking it would be something fun. I shot a 45-70 marlin for the first time and thought it was a bit of fun and a different style of shooting. Though I figure .357 would be cheaper and easier to shoot.

I can't say the same thing about my factory Marlin 1895 - it's holding 0.87MOA with basic handloads - 13gn of Trailboss under a 400gn round nose hardcast pill, Federal large magnum rifle primers.

Either I've got a freak of a rifle or something else is going on. This was just off a basic rice-filled bag under the foregrip, too.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by simmo » 16 Dec 2020, 7:05 pm

boingk wrote:
simmo wrote:

I can't say the same thing about my factory Marlin 1895 - it's holding 0.87MOA with basic handloads - 13gn of Trailboss under a 400gn round nose hardcast pill, Federal large magnum rifle primers.

Either I've got a freak of a rifle or something else is going on. This was just off a basic rice-filled bag under the foregrip, too.

- boingk

That’s excellent

I’m thinking I will have fun shooting off hand and using a cheap caliber that still delivers respectable punch at 100-125m and a nice whack on wood targets (not a fan of steel on short range targets) or foxes, dogs or rabits when I can get out field.

But mostly a range toy on paper, off-hand.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles