Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Post by HankScorpio » 18 Aug 2020, 7:08 pm

New member, thought I'd add my situation to the data:

Applied online for A/B 27/06/20, completed ID check and photograph at post office 30/06/20.
Applied online for 2 PTAs 16/07/20.

Currently at 7 weeks since post office visit, obviously still waiting patiently.

I'm taking advantage of the wait by using it to lay-by the 2 firearms I'll be acquiring when the licence and PTAs come through. Almost paid them off in full, so I'll still have some time to put money aside for ammo, optics and other bits and bobs.
HankScorpio
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 19 Aug 2020, 7:42 pm

Well I called them again on Monday and during the recorded menu spiel, they now say to wait at least 12 weeks before calling, down from 20 weeks. Once i selected the correct option my call was answered straight away surprisingly. The officer, was polite, but couldn't or wouldn’t offer any help or reason for the delay other than Covid issues and that applications were handled in order of receipt to which I disagreed. To cut a long story short, I finally managed to find out that I could call back when the team leader is there and speak with her. I haven’t had the chance yet, hopefully tomorrow.
I guess now that Australia Post is handling new applications, they must be getting towards the end of the queue. Hopefully they approve mine before they all get sacked, although that will never happen.
I have thought about the complaint process many times over the past couple of months, although this might cause even more problems for me.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Humperdinkel » 20 Aug 2020, 2:34 pm

HankScorpio wrote:New member, thought I'd add my situation to the data:

Applied online for A/B 27/06/20, completed ID check and photograph at post office 30/06/20.

Currently at 7 weeks since post office visit, obviously still waiting patiently.

I'm taking advantage of the wait by using it to lay-by the 2 firearms I'll be acquiring when the licence and PTAs come through. Almost paid them off in full, so I'll still have some time to put money aside for ammo, optics and other bits and bobs.

Also a new member & amazingly im exactly 1 week behind you with all dates. Be sure to keep us updated, as I'm be curious to see the sequences.

When I submitted my PTA the sales bloke at the gun shop said he had one post COVID lockdown fella get his license in 5 weeks
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage A22R Pro Varmint - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Howa 1500 VT Fluted - .308
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by HankScorpio » 21 Aug 2020, 12:41 am

Humperdinkel wrote:

Also a new member & amazingly im exactly 1 week behind you with all dates. Be sure to keep us updated, as I'm be curious to see the sequences.

When I submitted my PTA the sales bloke at the gun shop said he had one post COVID lockdown fella get his license in 5 weeks

Will keep you informed :thumbsup:
5 weeks! That's encouraging. We'll see, I can wait a while yet.
HankScorpio
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RuinedNoodle » 21 Aug 2020, 2:02 pm

RuinedNoodle wrote:Helped my dad to apply for his A/B license - submitted application on the 20th of April 2020, ID check 30th April, approved by email today 3rd of August. Total took 15 weeks exactly.
Still waiting for the email approval for the PTAs I submitted for him.
They must be processing applications out of order because some of you guys are reporting more than 20 weeks wait for A/B.

Just an update on this.
License arrived Tuesday the 18th Aug.
PTA approval emails came on Monday the 17th Aug.
PTA faxed to dealer today 21st Aug.
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 27 Aug 2020, 5:50 pm

Wow some of you guys have been spoilt. I finally got my email today approving a new A/B licence. It only took 61/2 months!
Applied 13/2/20, hopefully the next two weeks will go quickly and they’ll appeove the 4 PTAs I put in 6 months ago too.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Humperdinkel » 27 Aug 2020, 6:53 pm

Nails wrote:Wow some of you guys have been spoilt. I finally got my email today approving a new A/B licence. It only took 61/2 months!
Applied 13/2/20, hopefully the next two weeks will go quickly and they’ll appeove the 4 PTAs I put in 6 months ago too.

That just ludicrous !! I feel for you mate. I hope mine is nowhere that long a wait because I have a brand new rifle waiting for me at the LGS & I'd hate to have it burning a hole in my pocket for that long.
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by BuddS » 28 Aug 2020, 8:56 am

Applied 16th May cat A/B + 2 PTA

Recieved email for ID Check 29th July.

Received email for application approval 26th August.

No just waiting for the card and the 2×PTA.

Went in and put down some cash on a Stainless Savage A22R and a Howa 1500 mini action in .223, can't wait to pickup!

Evidence points to being that every time I called, a couple of days later I had some progress....
BuddS
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nickemall » 28 Aug 2020, 10:12 am

Hey guys, thought I'd share my situation.

Applied for A/B on 26/05/2020
ID check email 30/05/2020
Licence approval email 27/08/2020

Stoked on the turnaround. Just over 13 weeks.

Just gotta wait for the plastic and those PTA's to start coming through now
Nickemall
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 29 Aug 2020, 5:50 am

Sitting on about 9 weeks for my H application at the moment, bit of a kicker to know I'm only potentially half way, depending on how they're travelling timeline wise.

Hanging to be able to bring my pistol home to clean it and not have to be parked up in the range doing a quick rush job on it.

Picked up a slightly bigger safe yesterday, should have plenty room for a few more rifles and the pistols that the missus and I are waiting to bring home.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Humperdinkel » 31 Aug 2020, 12:26 pm

BuddS wrote:Applied 16th May cat A/B + 2 PTA

Went in and put down some cash on a Stainless Savage A22R and a Howa 1500 mini action in .223, can't wait to pickup!

Evidence points to being that every time I called, a couple of days later I had some progress....

That seems like a huge delay in the ID check email ? I got my ID email the day after submitting my application & was fortunate enough to attend the post office the same day........ Still waiting though
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 31 Aug 2020, 4:09 pm

Humperdinkel wrote:
BuddS wrote:Applied 16th May cat A/B + 2 PTA

That seems like a huge delay in the ID check email ? I got my ID email the day after submitting my application & was fortunate enough to attend the post office the same day........ Still waiting though

They've recently changed the process, originally it would take around 5 weeks from application date to receive an email for ID check, usually conducted at a Police station. My A/B license was processed this way, my recent H application was processed the same way as yours, received an email shortly after to attend the post office for an ID check.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Nails » 01 Sep 2020, 5:11 pm

Six and a half months to get the email...I then got my 4 PTA approvals 2 days after A/B licence approval email (i.e. yesterday). How long are people waiting now for the actual licence to arrive and is it by Auspost to be signed for? Those guys never knock they just drop a card and run so you then need to wait another day to collect from local PO.
At least I can start looking and perhaps put down a deposit or two.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 01 Sep 2020, 5:26 pm

Nails wrote:is it by Auspost to be signed for? Those guys never knock they just drop a card and run so you then need to wait another day to collect from local PO.

It comes as normal mail so will appear in your mail box. Its not sent registered or anything fancy.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Nails » 02 Sep 2020, 9:42 am

Thank Chin, hopefully not too long to wait now. The RO I know told me he knew of waits up to 3 weeks, that was for cat H, but I doubt there would be much difference between A/B and H for posting out the hard copy once approved.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 Sep 2020, 3:10 pm

Both my A/B and H license cards arrived about 2 weeks after the email approval.
They are printed in Victoria so there may be additional delays due to Covid right now.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Nails » 02 Sep 2020, 5:46 pm

seems strange they are printed in Victoria, I could kinda understand if it was China lol
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by RuinedNoodle » 02 Sep 2020, 6:29 pm

Got a friend who applied for his A/B on the 20th June, got ID check email on the same day and went to the post office. He got his license approval email today.
Slightly less than 11 weeks of wait.
They are picking up or maybe it's just him?
Heard SU have been negotiating with licensing to reduce wait times.
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ridi235 » 05 Sep 2020, 2:00 pm

Now up to the 26 week mark and haven't heard anything back yet. I think I'll just ring them on Monday and find out what's going on. Dad applied for his the day after I did and his came in the mail a couple of weeks ago.
ridi235
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 08 Sep 2020, 3:14 pm

Just got a call to after exactly 24 weeks to say my Change of Conditions is all approved but they just need a letter from the club to say I can use them for safe storage. I sent them the same letter when I originally changed my storage location but they only updated it for my Cat H and not A/B or Collector licenses. Even the lady on the phone said it was Weapons fault as it should have been picked up when I renewed. The lady was very nice and quite knowledgable compared to the last time I had to deal with somene regarding my Collector license.

Anyway, it only took five minutes to email my club and receive the letter I need so shouldn't be too much longer before I have my updated license card and can wait another six months to get a Post '47 Cat H PTA approved :roll:
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by HankScorpio » 09 Sep 2020, 3:49 pm

My approval email came this morning so I'm pretty chuffed.
That makes it 10 weeks and 1 day since the ID check was completed.
So now we'll see how long until the physical licence arrives (a week or 2?), and no word on the 2 PTAs as yet. But pretty happy with the timeframe considering Covid, weapons switching to a new application process and reading some other member's waittimes.

HankScorpio
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 09 Sep 2020, 6:19 pm

sry wrong thread LOL :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Humperdinkel » 10 Sep 2020, 5:12 am

HankScorpio wrote:My approval email came this morning so I'm pretty chuffed.
So now we'll see how long until the physical licence arrives (a week or 2?), and no word on the 2 PTAs as yet. But pretty happy with the timeframe considering Covid, weapons switching to a new application process and reading some other member's waittimes.

Makes me wonder how many they actually process a day :unknown: :unknown: given im only week behind you in lodging, this is encouraging given that the 28 days on my PTA is up this Saturday
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Humperdinkel » 10 Sep 2020, 10:29 am

ridi235 wrote:Now up to the 26 week mark and haven't heard anything back yet. I think I'll just ring them on Monday and find out what's going on. Dad applied for his the day after I did and his came in the mail a couple of weeks ago.

Any answers from WL yet ? Either there is something wrong with your application or it has be lost ? If neither then there is no way they process them in order.
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RuinedNoodle » 10 Sep 2020, 8:34 pm

Humperdinkel wrote:
HankScorpio wrote:My approval email came this morning so I'm pretty chuffed.

Makes me wonder how many they actually process a day :unknown: :unknown: given im only week behind you in lodging, this is encouraging given that the 28 days on my PTA is up this Saturday

If that scare news article I read a while back was anything to go off, QLD police supposedly processes one weapons license every 2 hours during business hours.
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ridi235 » 10 Sep 2020, 10:09 pm

Humperdinkel wrote:
ridi235 wrote:Now up to the 26 week mark and haven't heard anything back yet. I think I'll just ring them on Monday and find out what's going on. Dad applied for his the day after I did and his came in the mail a couple of weeks ago.

Any answers from WL yet ? Either there is something wrong with your application or it has be lost ? If neither then there is no way they process them in order.

Nope, nothing yet. Probably gonna give them a ring on monday if I don't hear anything this week.
ridi235
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 12 Sep 2020, 6:10 pm

Don’t be worried about calling them, their recorded message says you only need to wait 12 weeks before calling now (was 20 weeks not long ago). My A/B approval took 28 weeks and ir was only this quick because I kept calling them after 20 weeks was up. They had some old data on my address and just put it on the back-burner. After about 6 calls they located the team leader at 27 weeks, after explaining my wait and asking what else I might need to send them (nothing extra required), she said they would try to do it hat afternoon, it still took another week after that. So I got my email approval nearly 3 weeks ago now and due to the covid dramas, auspost is seriously delayed. I called them the other day and they told me it could another few weeks, so I’ve given up holding my breath now. Its just crazy how long this process takes, but they do seem to react to a polite prod or two. Good luck!
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Humperdinkel » 16 Sep 2020, 9:48 am

Got my approval email 9 weeks & 3 days. Very happy considering the Aussie Post system is very new. Now to wait for the postie :D :D :D
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cool fish » 16 Sep 2020, 4:10 pm

Guys, just got approval email, and here is my timeline:
Application date: 15/07/20
Post Interview: 16/07/20
PTA application: 17/07/20
Email approval: 16/09/20
just 9 weeks from submission date
Still awaiting PTAs approval
All best guys!
.22lr Tikka T1X
.22lr CZ452
.357mag Marlin 1894 CSBL
.223 Remington 700 SPS Tactical
.223 Browning X Bolt Stalker Stainless
.308 Tikka T3X A1
12G Sulun Tac-12
Cool fish
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 16 Sep 2020, 9:05 pm

I applied on the 21st of July and I received my application approval via email today so just under 8 weeks for me. couldn't be happier.
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws