Hunting without camo

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting without camo

Post by vexesus » 03 Jun 2014, 7:00 pm

Hi guys,

Do any of you guys not bother with camo when you go out?

I've been sticking with wearing greens and browns so far trying to match the colours rather than full on camo into the background.

I've read it's really important for bow hunters because you have to be a lot closer.

For shooting though where you can be further away and be harder to spot just by that fact, can you get away without it?
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Hunting without camo

Post by MeccaOz » 03 Jun 2014, 7:18 pm

Never used it myself mate, and still had my successes.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Hennie Dreyer » 03 Jun 2014, 11:22 pm

Never use camo myself. However - always make sure to avoid wearing some of the synthetic garb that gives off a 'shine', and try and use background vegetation to break your outline.

I do understand the merits of using a 'ghilly' suit (to break your outline etc.), but get the feeling it is 'overkill', costs too much and is just an additional burden.

Having said this, keep in mind I am exclusively a rifle carrying hunter, and also exclusively 'walk and stalk' - hate sitting in blinds
Hennie Dreyer
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by Noisydad » 04 Jun 2014, 7:27 am

Read somewhere that an ordinary flanney shirt is an excellent camo pattern! Who'd have thought?
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 04 Jun 2014, 7:59 am

Chuck Adams a bow hunter that has been around for years has said plaid flannel works just as well.

Dark clothing and greens and browns and a well made blind is just as good I don't by into needing it they do love you money lol.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jun 2014, 4:53 pm

Never wear it when I'm spotlighting! :D the main reason I wear it when whistling foxes is because I don't mind it getting a bit smelly and getting blood on it, better the camo getting dirty than my everyday clothes as such, whether it makes it better re results I guess it works as I've had foxes nearly stand on me at times.

Some say you should use special laundry detergent etc or sunlight soap etc to wash em in so theres no smell or optical brighters etc, I don't take any notice of that sorta thing and I still shoot plenty of foxes, whether its more important for others species I can't say for certain.

I like it when foxes stand there with that puzzled look on their faces trying to work out exactly what you are, then all of a sudden it dawns on em and they race of in a hurry only to stop and look back (not all the time but a lot of the time) then ya WHACK EM! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by VICHunter » 05 Jun 2014, 3:27 pm

IMHO...

I'm convinced it contributes to successful hunting in cases.

Camo isn't the only factor though. Distance, the animals awareness and mood/state, smell and wind...

If you come up behind something at 200m and he's looking the other way there's every chance you'll take him without him ever knowing you're there.

Like Scott said, I've had instances where a fox etc. was searching for me in the bush and didn't see me. Other times they did. I've found I do a little better with camo on.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Aster » 05 Jun 2014, 3:29 pm

I'm much the same as VIC there.

Camo top and bottoms... Doesn't have to be head to toe, not worried about arms or boots showing. Orange safety cap.

About all the UV dyes and detergents etc. I just hand wash mine then store them in a plastic bag so they don't absorb smells around the house. That makes sense to me without being obsessive.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Westy » 05 Jun 2014, 4:41 pm

I'm not sold on the UV washing powder trip myself!

Shot the largest boar of my life in a pair of stubbies, Jim boots and a jackie howe! Maybe he was coming closer for a look as I can make anything look good :lol: :D :lol:

Oh, yeah and it was 30 years ago when stubbies were still in fashion :oops: :P :oops:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jun 2014, 10:06 am

I think camo helps in most instances. But as mentioned earlier smell, wind, uv, noise also count a lot. We need to keep in mind that not all species have the same smell, hearing or sight capabilities. Im convinced deer see uv, but we do not, and perhaps pigs, foxes, and a few others don't either? The same principle applies to the other senses, all species are not equal.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 06 Jun 2014, 12:18 pm

Westy wrote:I'm not sold on the UV washing powder trip myself!

I'm not sure how convinced I am that you "glow" to a deer with the wrong washing powder like some say.

I could concede that it adds some visual element, but they're seeing other spectrums of light at the same time of course. Not just UV. Some guys make it sound like you look like a neon light on a black night to them.

Unless you clean your clothes by swimming in Radium I think you'll be right.

The smell of detergents etc. is something I'd personally give more credit to.

In any case, hand washing gives a little aid to both possibilities of sight and smell and it does me fine.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by headspace » 28 Jun 2014, 10:28 pm

I've hunted in quite a few locations and never felt deprived due to a lack of camo gear. Most animals get more use from sensing movement and smell rather than looking at a clump of leaves and thinking "I wonder if there's a human in there with a gun?"

However, I have found that Auscam breathes very well in hot conditions and has plenty of pockets, I love pockets. Once again we are following the US with this stuff.

How many African pro hunters or European guides do you see wearing camo?

JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 29 Jun 2014, 8:46 am

headspace wrote:Most animals get more use from sensing movement and smell rather than looking at a clump of leaves and thinking "I wonder if there's a human in there with a gun?"

Like has been said by yourself and others, it's one of many factors. I figure if it increases my chances by just a few % overall it's still worth it. I go the pants and top, not obsessed with it though.

That's my logic anyway.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Jul 2014, 10:47 pm

headspace wrote:I've hunted in quite a few locations and never felt deprived due to a lack of camo gear. Most animals get more use from sensing movement and smell rather than looking at a clump of leaves and thinking "I wonder if there's a human in there with a gun?"

However, I have found that Auscam breathes very well in hot conditions and has plenty of pockets, I love pockets. Once again we are following the US with this stuff.

How many African pro hunters or European guides do you see wearing camo?

JD

Hi,

I agree with headspace, It doesn't matter if your wearing the best camo ever, , If your waving arms or making sudden movements you will get sprung EVERYTIME.

I usually wear camo shirt and trousers in conjunction with a face / head net.

I have had foxes, roos etc prop only meters away that have no idea I'm there (as long as you remain motionless)

However, if you lift a hand even slowly, they are on to you straight away.

So even with quarry that is 50 plus meters off, I habitually make any movements very slow.

My brother when he was in the army made an interesting observation one day when on a training session.

He said that he was fairly high up a hill and looking down into the valley.

He could clearly see several soldiers moving up the opposite slope, and they were wearing the current issue camo.

Apparently they stood out like the proverbial sore thumb.

After watching them for quite a while, he said he suddenly saw some movement approx. 50 meters to their right.

It was then that he observed 15 soldiers that were wearing the plain old Olive Khaki, that had been there all the time, but had blended that well that he had not noticed them till one of them had started to run.

Just goes to show that the best camo available will stand out in certain circumstances,, and even (in this case) while the khaki was working adequately, sudden movement gave it all away. ;)
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by mausermate » 04 Jul 2014, 4:02 pm

You've gotta love your camo coat!

I picked up a Ridgeline torrent jacket a while back and its "smack on". Best coat I've ever owned or hunted in.

Not too fussed on the camo nor do I think it helps much...look like some duck hunter from a Louisiana TV show. No offense intended Robertson family. I'll get the plain Olive next time.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by vexesus » 06 Jul 2014, 9:23 am

Die Judicii wrote:I agree with headspace, It doesn't matter if your wearing the best camo ever, , If your waving arms or making sudden movements you will get sprung EVERYTIME.

Can't say that I wave my arms around a lot in the forest so good to know I had that right :lol:
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by vexesus » 06 Jul 2014, 9:26 am

mausermate wrote:Not too fussed on the camo nor do I think it helps much...look like some duck hunter from a Louisiana TV show. No offense intended Robertson family. I'll get the plain Olive next time.

Never seen the show but I know the one your talking about.

Seeing the posters of the 4 of them pulling stupid tough-guy faces was enough to put me off.
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 06 Jul 2014, 9:54 am

If I had a dollar for every time someone said to me "you hunt? You must love duck dynasty". Haven't seen an episode but after half the stories I've heard from it I never will.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by cuvy » 06 Jul 2014, 6:40 pm

Scent, noise and movement are far more important than whether or not you're wearing camo patterns.

Don't use deodorant, scented soaps/body washes/shampoos, wash your clothes in fragrance free (sensitive) washing powder with white vinegar in the fabric softener compartment (it helps rinse the detergent residue away). Smoke seems to help - whether it masks your smell or the ash particle absorb scent (think charcoal filtration) I'm not sure. Control your noise when you're moving, don't make sudden movements or make eye contact, try to seek cover to break up your outline.

Cams don't hurt, but they don't help unless you've got the above stuff sorted first. Once I was sitting on a log about 1m beside a path talking on the phone when a Chittal deer (who was alert from others I was out with) trot past me. Of course I didn't have a gun. He stopped about 5m away, I slowly turned. It was only after I made and held eye contact for a second or so that he noticed me and then bolted. I was wearing plain brown pants, green long sleeve shirt and had a desert tan backpack on.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Jul 2014, 10:35 pm

vexesus wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:I agree with headspace, It doesn't matter if your wearing the best camo ever, , If your waving arms or making sudden movements you will get sprung EVERYTIME.

Can't say that I wave my arms around a lot in the forest so good to know I had that right :lol:

Hi Vexesus,

Go for it big fellah, you wave as much as you can, you have the right, and the power. :lol:

But on the serious side, its amazing how many (especially newbies) that do so without even thinking.

One of the worst traps I used to fall into as a young fella was on either a stinking hot day or a cold frosty morning.

Your either sweating profusely, or your nose starts running, and without thinking you drag your handkerchief out of the pocket. :x
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by vexesus » 07 Jul 2014, 11:07 am

Die Judicii wrote:Go for it big fellah, you wave as much as you can, you have the right, and the power. :lol:

Maybe it'll confuse them into standing still for a shot :D
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by whert » 07 Jul 2014, 11:08 am

cuvy wrote:Once I was sitting on a log about 1m beside a path talking on the phone when a Chittal deer (who was alert from others I was out with) trot past me. Of course I didn't have a gun.

You sound pretty zen about it.

I'd be pissed, ha ha.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 08 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm

Camo is an absolute must when shooting birds, stand still in plain green and they will all veer off, do the same in camo and only about a third veer off. Use the shadow and sun properly and 100% get a load flung at them.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by scrolllock » 09 Jul 2014, 2:02 pm

whert wrote:You sound pretty zen about it.

I'd be pissed, ha ha.

Damn right! :lol:
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cuvy » 10 Jul 2014, 8:14 am

whert wrote:You sound pretty zen about it.

I'd be pissed, ha ha.

I did for a moment consider trying to crash tackle him....
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 11 Jul 2014, 7:35 am

Westy wrote:I'm not sold on the UV washing powder trip myself!

Shot the largest boar of my life in a pair of stubbies, Jim boots and a jackie howe! Maybe he was coming closer for a look as I can make anything look good :lol: :D :lol:

Oh, yeah and it was 30 years ago when stubbies were still in fashion :oops: :P :oops:

Now there's a mental picture I didn't need in my head! I bet that Hot Chocolate's "You sexy Thing" plays in your head every time you walk in a room wearing that gear! :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by whert » 11 Jul 2014, 12:15 pm

cuvy wrote:I did for a moment consider trying to crash tackle him....

Bah ha ha. Maybe you could carry him back to camp and someone with a rifle handy :D
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey