My tyres are getting a bit feral

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

My tyres are getting a bit feral

Post by Blr243 » 11 Sep 2020, 6:30 pm

I have a hilux. No point buying big chunky noisy stuff for off road use. It’s a fallacy to think that I will be doing off road Face the music. I’m not John Wayne ...I’m a city slicker who never goes on the beach and I rarely lock the front hubs in , only for slightly dicey situations on a hunt ...I have only ever gone to beau repair or bob Jane. Perhaps I should be visiting one of the other specialty 4wd tyre mobs. What do u do when u are about to re tyre an entire vehicle ? Brisbane
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: My tyres are getting a bit feral

Post by Patriot » 11 Sep 2020, 7:25 pm

If you are asking for tyre recommendation.based on what you said I’d be going for BFG All terrains. I’ve been running them for 25 years, can’t beat um in my opinion. No need to go to a 4wd mob.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 11 Sep 2020, 8:12 pm

Yep I had a set of BF Goodrich A/T on my ute until recently. They were a good set of tyres mate, and like you, mostly used on sealed or hard roads with occasional off-road when away hunting / fishing.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 11 Sep 2020, 8:16 pm

They cost ya but you can’t go past the BFG A/T ko2.
On my second set and rate them massively! Have done Simpson twice, and spend a lot of time off road on hunts bashing across stubble, and open paddocks and bush tracks where everything is trying to stake your tire.
I can’t recommend them enough.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Sep 2020, 9:04 pm

Sounds like they might b the go
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 11 Sep 2020, 9:08 pm

Blr243 wrote:Sounds like they might b the go

I had 1992 Hilux and used to run the 31/10.5.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 11 Sep 2020, 9:08 pm

Ko2 are terrible on wet bitumen though.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by eddievic » 11 Sep 2020, 9:21 pm

Mate call up your local tyre places and see who has got a special price on some good tyres. Just don't go for ling long or ching chong type of brands... or you might have a problem
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Sep 2020, 10:02 pm

I'm just running Bridgestone highway tyres on the Triton. About 99% on bitumen. A few occassional rough tracks what I'd call light 4x4 work. I've had no problems so far touch wood.

Got about 80k out of them. Run them at 44psi.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Sep 2020, 10:03 pm

I agree with OB, the Brigestones are a good option if your not planning on leaving the beaten track,
Another one to take a look at are toyo HT tyres.
Cheep as, last ages quiet as a mouse :thumbsup:

I'm going to grab a set soon as most of my driving is on sealed roads with some dirt and the occasional sandy track or beach.
The toyo AT2 that I run atm are overkill and too expensive in 265 70 17.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 11 Sep 2020, 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 11 Sep 2020, 10:08 pm

Ko2 are terrible on wet bitumen though.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 11 Sep 2020, 10:38 pm

We run Bridgestones on most of our 4x4 vehicles (7). Good all rounder off road and good grip in the wet. If you want an AT tyre that will handle well on bitumen and off road, go the 697 or if not doing anything more than an occasional beach go with the 693.

My Isuzu MUX runs BF as does our Cruiser but that is for off road performance and reliability. Any tyre that doesn't have decent channels to push water to the side will be a problem on wet bitumen - which includes most serious off road tyres.

Also, BF and other serious off road tyres will increase your fuel consumption.

Tokyo tyres are a good cheaper alternative if you are budget consious.

Muddies look great and are serious off road. But noise after they wear, fuel consumption, poor wet weather performance on bitumen means they are not for you.

I expect my tyres to work damn well on road, off road and keep me, my wife and grandkids safe. Don't buy cheap and nasty.

Mike
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 11 Sep 2020, 11:00 pm

I have heard the BFG ATs go a bit hard a little later in their life? Not had a set so cannot personally comment.
I have a set of Toyo Open Country II ATs. Unless I can be convinced otherwise I'll be getting another set of them when the time comes.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 12 Sep 2020, 4:50 am

Patriot wrote:
Blr243 wrote:Sounds like they might b the go

I had 1992 Hilux and used to run the 31/10.5.

Awesome
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 12 Sep 2020, 4:58 am

I,m putting kuhmos on everything nowadays. I’ve found them to be better in every regard than anything I’ve ever used. And they cost heaps less. Which dose’nt make sense.
[url https://www.kumho.com.au/?gclid=Cj0KCQj ... P6EALw_wcB][/url]
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bill » 12 Sep 2020, 9:45 am

Mate use Tyroola to get a quote, I used em before and my boss now does all his tyres thru the website.

You can still get the tyres you want, just save $$$ from the stealership/big franchises, more money in your pocket for Hunting stuff

https://www.tyroola.com.au/tyre/265-65- ... &price=0-0
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Sep 2020, 5:39 pm

Bill wrote:Mate use Tyroola to get a quote, I used em before and my boss now does all his tyres thru the website.

You can still get the tyres you want, just save $$$ from the stealership/big franchises, more money in your pocket for Hunting stuff

https://www.tyroola.com.au/tyre/265-65- ... &price=0-0

That tyroola is pretty good. I get my tyres very cheap as the SIL works at a dealership. I checked mine and only about $15 each cheaper than tyroola. Got mine fitted only about 4 months ago.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 12 Sep 2020, 6:07 pm

I run 697s on my cruiser have had bfgs in the past and not overly impressed with the noise/balance issues that i had with them.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 12 Sep 2020, 7:13 pm

I have coopers on other car and whilst you get fantastic mileage out of them, can be bloody noisy and of course they are not cheap. Currently trying a set of Yokohama’s. Jury still out on those.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Sep 2020, 7:13 pm

YoungBuck wrote:I have heard the BFG ATs go a bit hard a little later in their life? Not had a set so cannot personally comment.
I have a set of Toyo Open Country II ATs. Unless I can be convinced otherwise I'll be getting another set of them when the time comes.

That's correct about BFG's, they get hard and start to chip.
I can speak from experience.

I've run Toyo Open Country AT2 for the last 2 sets, they're definitely a great tyre.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 12 Sep 2020, 9:09 pm

I am a 4wd enthusiast, so I look at things closely, and have done for a long time. I will give you my 2c.

For your usage, much like mine, I use an All Terrain (AT), but in a Light Truck (LT) construction. The AT gives a good balance between road and offroad use in terms of traction, and mud clearance. And we know about blacksoil mud eh. A HT will get you about 10mm after 2mm of rain. An AT has a much more open pattern, and will be a better option on the dirt.

An All Terrain tyre can be specified in Light Truck construction. This will show in the sizing of the tyre, as it will have LT in the designation. This provides a better load rating for those of us that carry a bit of stuff, but more importantly has a higher ply rating of the carcass, which gives you much better puncture resistance from sticks etc.

I have AT tyres in an LT construction, and have Toyo Open Country on my Patrol. They will do all you need, and are considerably better priced then BF Goodrich and Cooper etc. Worth a look.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Sep 2020, 9:53 pm

In the past, as well as on different cruisers, I've run Bridgestones, Toyo, BFG's etc.
My current one is riding on a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3
I must say, that so far I'm bloody impressed. (my first time with these)

I have a mate that does 50/50 highway, and real offroad travels.
He has always as long as I've known him shod his rides with Coopers.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 13 Sep 2020, 12:08 pm

one thing, make sure you check is the conditions of warranty
eg.. l have been told that if you take your cooper tyres off the bitchumen you void warranty :unknown:

anyway l have had a few different brands that l thought were ok but my last set to put on are hankook MT dynapro's and l will be using them again
they were at buy 4 pay for 3 at the time two years ago and cost $600 for the set, l have had my car in mud up to the floor driven up very steep tracks without any slipping that farmers wont take their own cars up and find they are not bad on the road, a slight bounce but not bad

here's a photo after two years and 60,000 klms
its what l like anyway :drinks:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 16 Sep 2020, 10:50 am

I genuinely was going to make an educated decision this time round based on the experience and opinions of others but unfortunately it was starting to do my head in, I ran out of time and I just bought some local Yokohama’s because it was easy than continuing to look around. Thanks all for your time just the same .....so now I just gotta not stake a new tyre on my next adventure !
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 16 Sep 2020, 11:31 am

toyo open country AT, havent failed me and always cheaper than BFG
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Sep 2020, 9:28 pm

Blr243 wrote: Thanks all for your time just the same .....so now I just gotta not stake a new tyre on my next adventure !

That's easy Mate,,,,,,,,, just stay on the tar. :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Sep 2020, 12:13 am

On my favourite place there’s no potential for punctures it’s amazeing and like no country I have ever seen .....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 17 Sep 2020, 11:01 am

Blr243 wrote:On my favourite place there’s no potential for punctures it’s amazeing and like no country I have ever seen .....

some of the places I go is like driving over a mincer, so many chunks bitten off the tyres its not funny.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 17 Sep 2020, 3:57 pm

I run my Ute partly on the place but mostly my quad. Normally I would have to be topping up air in the tyres on a daily basis and checking or re doin rope plugs but I have done nearly ten hunts there now without having to add any air. Truly amazeing
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Sep 2020, 3:57 pm

I run my Ute partly on the place but mostly my quad. Normally I would have to be topping up air in the tyres on a daily basis and checking or re doin rope plugs but I have done nearly ten hunts there now without having to add any air. Truly amazeing
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel