Where is the Ozzie “Steve Rinella” ?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Where is the Ozzie “Steve Rinella” ?

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Sep 2020, 10:45 am

Season 9 of Netflix’s meat eater Is about to start and it seems that many outdoors ppl at my work are very very taken in by it. Everyone knows the new season is coming and as an avid watcher myself - I wonder why, we don’t have an Australian hunter/outdoorsman stand up and undertake a show??

With our unique species, beautiful country side, able out doors ppl - why hasn’t someone grabbed a camera man and put together a professional hunting show that could be worth millions of dollars away from main stream media ?
Yes, it takes a lot of work - field, pre production, post production, marketing, etc - but in the scheme of setting up a business, something like this would be far from expensive - and id bet my left one that over seas markets would lap it up to the nth degree...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Where is the Ozzie “Steve Rinella” ?

Post by glenn777 » 16 Sep 2020, 11:38 am

I think Adam Greentree would be good for that role, even though he's a bow hunter.
glenn777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Sep 2020, 11:45 am

Agree 100% but Adam already has a huge following and travels the world...
I was thinking maybe someone from here - some of the ppl on here, if they could articulate their words on camera, could do quite nicely...it seems there are 38 fishing shows but no hunting shows...that start from the 5.00am get up, packing, testing, travelling, gear up, stalking / hunting, animal locate, the shot, the prep, the emotion, the dressing of animal, field cooking and prepping for home, etc...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 16 Sep 2020, 12:15 pm

I recently approached the lady who did my construction business website To do a feral animal control website for me but the conversation was very uncomfortable......there is a hell of a lot of people frowning upon hunting in Australia ....I am often hesitant to discuss hunting because city people are incredibly removed from the reality of where meat comes from. ....I think hunting on tv is acceptable in USA because hunting is much more accepted in the USA. U can be a hunter over there without Copping too muck flack
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Sep 2020, 1:30 pm

Your, Of course, correct BLR - I think the meat eater show, somewhat circumvents the “killing” by over stating everything else - the lead up, the stalk, animal conservation, etc - showing ultimately the positive side of hunting...as you point out - I’m unsure how that might be received locally...but given the worlds so small now - perhaps international markets would be the focus. I’ve heard of very large sums of money changing hands for well presented documentaries...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by PaddyT » 16 Sep 2020, 2:28 pm

Beyond the Divide is good-lots of respect shown to animals, the environment and to the whole hunting process.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 16 Sep 2020, 4:35 pm

A hunt to some people is killing. They never think any further than that. But we know the truth. It’s 1 per cent killing and 99 per cent expensive physically demanding searching .... a hunt is a search
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 16 Sep 2020, 4:41 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Season 9 of Netflix’s meat eater Is about to start and it seems that many outdoors ppl at my work are very very taken in by it. Everyone knows the new season is coming and as an avid watcher myself - I wonder why, we don’t have an Australian hunter/outdoorsman stand up and undertake a show??

With our unique species, beautiful country side, able out doors ppl - why hasn’t someone grabbed a camera man and put together a professional hunting show that could be worth millions of dollars away from main stream media ?
Yes, it takes a lot of work - field, pre production, post production, marketing, etc - but in the scheme of setting up a business, something like this would be far from expensive - and id bet my left one that over seas markets would lap it up to the nth degree...

You live in a country where the Government deliberately closes down firearms manufacturer's and the MSM actively reminds the populace that " Guns are Bad Makay. ". Hopefully this attitude will be eventually voted out. Why did Bertram and Woodleigh go to the USA?. It's really, really, sad Tassie considering what the attitudes of Australians towards guns and hunting were in the 60's and 70's. Even the bloody Pom's are cool with sustainable harvesting. Anyhoo maybe I am wrong.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Sep 2020, 5:06 pm

Stoney wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Season 9 of Netflix’s meat eater Is about to start and it seems that many outdoors ppl at my work are very very taken in by it. Everyone knows the new season is coming and as an avid watcher myself - I wonder why, we don’t have an Australian hunter/outdoorsman stand up and undertake a show??

You live in a country where the Government deliberately closes down firearms manufacturer's and the MSM actively reminds the populace that " Guns are Bad Makay. ". Hopefully this attitude will be eventually voted out. Why did Bertram and Woodleigh go to the USA?. It's really, really, sad Tassie considering what the attitudes of Australians towards guns and hunting were in the 60's and 70's. Even the bloody Pom's are cool with sustainable harvesting. Anyhoo maybe I am wrong.

Good point - you’d hope? Thst a well managed docuseries might go some way to helping...I know a few ppl that were turned on to hunting by Rinellas show.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Grandadbushy » 16 Sep 2020, 7:51 pm

I think it would be a good thing to have an Australian Hunting show just like the NZ, ''Hunting Aotearoa'', just like the ''Meat Eater'' show all permits can be obtained in Australia, we also now have hunters coming from overseas to hunt Buffalo, deer, camel, pig and wild cattle also a few others, but one of the gates that needs opening is finding a way of putting it on the tv and finding a station willing to show it , all the rest can be achieved with some get up and go with a little money and then someone that can carry themselves on camera you wouldn't want some one like Russell Coite , i believe we could learn a lot from the Meat Eater show but who's going to have a go?, i reckon it would bring fence sitters back to thinking more positive about fire arms and those that hunt, but on saying that i think that fence sitting people place all shooters in the Trophy hunter category which in my eyes is not helping the situation for hunting or guns , These people that think that way probably wouldn't give it a second thought to go out and catch a big fish for a trophy where as shooting an animal for a trophy would be taboo for them, anyway Australian Hunting Show is a good idea just needs doing.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 16 Sep 2020, 8:45 pm

The reason why Hunting Aotearoa is huge in NZ is that most of the Maori population hunt - its in their culture and accepted by the whole country.

Even in Australia , hunting is a large part of the Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander culture - but how many times have we seen our indigenous community ostracised for eating roo, turtles, dugong, wombat etc......its pathetic how the main stream media portray such occurrences.

Rob Fickling does an excellent job with Beyond the Divide - unfortunately there are not enough shows like this. Even the plethora of fishing shows these days have gone "soft" - all catch and release as to not upset the do-gooders.........

Makes you wonder....
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Grandadbushy » 17 Sep 2020, 12:58 am

Yeah Australia seems to be the feral hunting country but that shouldn't stop people from having a hunting show , from what i see is when these do gooders mouth of about the aboriginal and islander hunters there is no push back to the mouths of this mob of losers, just have a look around and see how many Australians watch overseas hunting shows, like i said it'll take a pro hunting television station to get on board or some way to show the show to people, i believe the market is there but needs people to be willing and not already defeated because it hasn't been done to a large degree, to make a hunting show would take a lot of commitment and i think this is what scares most people, but unless someone steps up we'll never have a hunting show, also despite the USA having a pedigree in guns and hunting some states have very tight rules and regulations on hunting also closed hunting seasons for some animals and birds. Australia also has a history of guns right back to the late1800's in target shooting and game hunting clubs but as like today as we lose our rights to own guns our attitude has been she'll be right mate it can't get any worse but unfortunately it has to the point we gun owners are all classed as potential killers , something that doesn't sit too well with me, i'm prepared to play the game and register my guns and obey the laws but that shouldn't stop us from having a shooting and hunting show because there is no law against it , i truly think there is a market here for a hunting show similar to ''Meat Eater'' , also we shouldn't drop our bundle every time some greeny or animal liberationist or do gooder starts mouthing off especially when it's lawful, now would be a good time for anyone who has videos of hunts to put them on google or some where for people and hunters to watch while in lockdown just my thoughts and i do know where you're coming from Solarpak and it's quiet accurate.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 17 Sep 2020, 11:02 am

Blr243 wrote:A hunt to some people is killing. They never think any further than that. But we know the truth. It’s 1 per cent killing and 99 per cent expensive physically demanding searching .... a hunt is a search

Depends what, where and how you hunt. Most of my hunting these days I'm sitting or standing and the animal is coming to me.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Sep 2020, 11:23 am

If you do manage to watch a few episodes - watch it from a production eye...ie be mindful of the voice over lay, camera positioning, editing etc - With some of the humour thrown around on this board ? It couldn’t miss...you could do a lot of angles for various episodes to step away from “just” killing...ie ammunition development, taking a new person (old/young) hunting, cooking game in the wild / at home, licensing, etc etc...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mchughcb » 17 Sep 2020, 11:52 am

In the hundreds of hunting videos I don't do much talking. I let the animal run and the gun boom. I can't stand 10 minutes of waffle. I don't talk much or at all when hunting because most of the stuff is shot within hearing distance.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 17 Sep 2020, 2:23 pm

I agree with you mchb...i cant stand all the bollox most pump out their mouths.

As for aussie hunter show...Maybe its about time marksman had a film crew follow him about the place, & set up an overhead camera or two in his shed & kitchen. ;) :unknown:

:clap:

:drinks:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by trekin » 17 Sep 2020, 3:16 pm

In a previous life (about 20 years ago) I did some pre/post production video work for a small video production company. Got to talk to some TV ecex types and this subject was brought up. The thinking then was to present the program as a field to table cooking show with a 40/60% content. 40% the hunt, 60% the prep and cooking, leaving out the gorry bits. The hunting content could be increased, but you would still need to show the purpose/reason for the hunt.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 17 Sep 2020, 6:51 pm

glenn777 wrote:I think Adam Greentree would be good for that role, even though he's a bow hunter.

Mr poachy mcpoach ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Sep 2020, 7:09 pm

trekin wrote:In a previous life (about 20 years ago) I did some pre/post production video work for a small video production company. Got to talk to some TV ecex types and this subject was brought up. The thinking then was to present the program as a field to table cooking show with a 40/60% content. 40% the hunt, 60% the prep and cooking, leaving out the gorry bits. The hunting content could be increased, but you would still need to show the purpose/reason for the hunt.

Trek - the big difference from a couple years ago, is we now have HUGE streaming service companies, bidding for content, that will accept things that main stream will not touch - and pay huge dollars for it.
I think it would be relatively easy to sell the idea that hunted / harvested animals = a much better life / outcome than abattoir type inroads...but your right - it would have to be sold correctly.
I see the host partnering up with the indigenous for instance / this is how we used to do it, this is how we do it now....then perhaps some farmers putting meat in their freezers, then some newbies being introduced and having a great time in the name of adventure, then maybe some regular hunters, sprouting conservation and the reasons behind culling to be kind (cats) and then maybe - hunting from a kindness POV vs council poisoning and so on...a lot of positives in there...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Sep 2020, 7:12 pm

Do none of you watch "Aussie Hunting Adventures" on Channel 31??
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 17 Sep 2020, 7:18 pm

Skinna wrote:I agree with you mchb...i cant stand all the bollox most pump out their mouths.

As for aussie hunter show...Maybe its about time marksman had a film crew follow him about the place, & set up an overhead camera or two in his shed & kitchen. ;) :unknown:

:clap:

:drinks:

your a funny bloke Skinna but some of the shooting l do could not be filmed and having cameras ect... are only a distraction
but did you know l have recently been in a couple of shooters mags ;) and apparently one coming out later in the year :lol:
its not what you know :thumbsup: just take the right person out :lol: and they are good for the carry out
not saying anymore about it :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 17 Sep 2020, 7:29 pm

Maybe Russel Coight can do a show?? ...................no thanks!!!

While it generates a laugh the characters handling of firearms leaves a lot too be desired, but in the name of comedy of course its OK.........(hey its TV!!)

But it leads me to say how many people in the world have been seriously injured or killed from a firearm discharge due to stupidity???

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey