Pull Action pistol grip or non? left or right hand pull best

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Pull Action pistol grip or non? left or right hand pull best

Post by Big Oz » 18 Sep 2020, 3:33 pm

Hi guys/girls finally decided on a pull action shotgun but im cursed with indecisive decisions.
First up what brand, i dont wanna spend a s**t load looking at a max of $1000 honestly gonna be a scrub gun for pigs and is gonna be treated like i stole it =} the Adler series are very appealing for the price which brings me to the next questions,

1. Are the Adler straight pull better quality then there lever actions which from memory have had a few issues with loading and jams ect.. so any feed back will be good ok next,

2. hmmm. the big debate unfortunately i havent had the chance to try out the pistol grip on the adler b220 compared to the traditional on the b220 all weather does anyone own 1 and what are the pros and cons of them also quality on the adler b220 pistol grip is it just ****** rubber that will be buggered after a few years?.

3. Left or Right side pull action and does the pistol grip affect the convenience of a chosen side? also another reason im sorta leaning towards the adler iss straight pull action can be used on both sides.
Attachments
adler.jpg
adler.jpg (55.95 KiB) Viewed 5786 times
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind..
Big Oz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Pull Action pistol grip or non? left or right hand pull

Post by bladeracer » 18 Sep 2020, 5:33 pm

Big Oz wrote:Hi guys/girls finally decided on a pull action shotgun but im cursed with indecisive decisions.
First up what brand, i dont wanna spend a s**t load looking at a max of $1000 honestly gonna be a scrub gun for pigs and is gonna be treated like i stole it =} the Adler series are very appealing for the price which brings me to the next questions,

1. Are the Adler straight pull better quality then there lever actions which from memory have had a few issues with loading and jams ect.. so any feed back will be good ok next,

2. hmmm. the big debate unfortunately i havent had the chance to try out the pistol grip on the adler b220 compared to the traditional on the b220 all weather does anyone own 1 and what are the pros and cons of them also quality on the adler b220 pistol grip is it just ****** rubber that will be buggered after a few years?.

3. Left or Right side pull action and does the pistol grip affect the convenience of a chosen side? also another reason im sorta leaning towards the adler iss straight pull action can be used on both sides.

I bought the Dickinson T1000 standard 28" synthetic model, and also ordered the pistol-grip butt stock and 20" barrel from the Tactical model. I don't shoot shotguns enough to be able to say whether it's better than other models, but I'm very happy with it. Barrel swaps are very, very quick and easy with no tools and no small pieces to lose. Undo the large nut at the end of the magazine tube, slide the fore end forward and off, pull the barrel forward, slide the new barrel back into the action, slide the fore end back over the mag tube, put the nut back on. Likewise swapping the butt stock over is very quick, remove the small screw at toe to remove butt pad, undo the long bolt up inside the stock and the butt pulls off, put the new stock on, do up the long bolt, put the butt pad back on. Cleaning is super easy too, push the cross-pin through the receiver and the complete fire-control group drops out.

As for left or right bolt handle, I do struggle to operate the right-hand bolt, but that's due to my own injuries and nothing to do with the gun, although the bolt handle is a long way forward of your shooting side hand either way. But shooting it left-handed I find operating the right-side bolt significantly easier than I would with a left-side bolt. I have thought about making a bolt extension that reaches over to the left side for this reason.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Big Oz » 18 Sep 2020, 6:46 pm

and how did the pistol grip feel to shoot ?
Big Oz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 Sep 2020, 7:01 pm

Big Oz wrote:and how did the pistol grip feel to shoot ?

I also have eight rifles with pistol grips, I prefer them for carrying comfort and find they make it easier to shoot well.
On the T1000 I like the ergonomics but I prefer shooting the under-over gun for pure enjoyment, the T1000 is more of the "toss around the ute gun".
My preferences though are largely based on significant injuries to my right shoulder, arm, wrist and hand.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 18 Sep 2020, 7:58 pm

As an owner of an adler b230t, i am not disappointed with it. I had a few feed problems for the first 2 boxes of ammo until I learned the "drive it like you stole it" technique.

Works great with the charge handle on the right hand side, comes with 2x 5 shot magazines and really benefited from a red dot sight. ( although there was nothing wrong with the factory ghost ring sight)
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 18 Sep 2020, 8:39 pm

I like the cocking lever on the left of my Adler 230 ....it’s light and a very easy natural pointer
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Big Oz » 18 Sep 2020, 10:00 pm

excellent feed back just what i need to know still not sure about the magazine though prefer to be able to feed a round in say if there is only 2 shots left without having to drop mag wasting 2 rounds just to be fully loaded again and i guess the side of the lever is personal preference.

So does the pistol grip help with kick back at all for stability?
Big Oz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2020, 12:40 am

Big Oz wrote:So does the pistol grip help with kick back at all for stability?

Not that I've noticed. The under-over design specifically fires the bottom barrel first to minimize muzzle climb for quick follow-up shots. I don't know how to quantify it, but I reckon the double stays on target better than the single-barrel gun regardless of which stock I have on it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 19 Sep 2020, 6:05 am

I have eventually realised a tube mag would b better for loading on the run. But it means I have to cycle them all through the action when I want to unload
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2020, 2:46 pm

Blr243 wrote:I have eventually realised a tube mag would b better for loading on the run. But it means I have to cycle them all through the action when I want to unload

Being able to top-up while moving, without even having to look at your rifle is a massive advantage in rifles over having to load tube mags from the pointy end.
I unload through the loading port.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2020, 3:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:As for left or right bolt handle, I do struggle to operate the right-hand bolt, but that's due to my own injuries and nothing to do with the gun, although the bolt handle is a long way forward of your shooting side hand either way. But shooting it left-handed I find operating the right-side bolt significantly easier than I would with a left-side bolt. I have thought about making a bolt extension that reaches over to the left side for this reason.

Just to add to this, I have experimented with a cable-tie, in about an 80mm loop, taped to my index finger makes it far easier to reach and operate the bolt handle.
20200919_154003b.jpg
20200919_154003b.jpg (380.33 KiB) Viewed 5715 times

The pistol-grip would also allow me to extend the bolt handle rearward about three-inches which would also be helpful.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bilko » 20 Sep 2020, 8:03 am

As the owner of an Adler 220PG, I can finally add something to a discussion on this site. After nearly 12 months owing it I finally managed to give it a pretty good workout recently - 75 rounds chasing clay pigeons for some fun.

Regarding the first question - I have no experience with the lever Adler, however, I had no problems loading, and only half a dozen times did the charging handle “stick” meaning I had to lower the gun from the shoulder to re-cock. Whether this is a permanent issue, or something that will decrease as the action wears in, time will tell. No problems with getting 2 shots off at each clay.

I like the pistol grip, and charging handle on the left side. Reminds me of Army days with the SLR. I feel the pistol grip makes it easier, and more comfortable to hold the gun in to the shoulder whilst cocking the gun left handed. But that can be a personal preference, and at least with the Adler it is easy to change sides with the charging handle. I really don’t know that a pistol grip assists with reducing recoil, but may make it easier to hold the gun tighter into the shoulder and reduce bruising.

I also don’t get the impression that the pistol grip is something that is going to fall apart quickly.

Now just need to get it out in the paddocks and try it out on 4 legged ferals.
Bilko
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Big Oz » 21 Sep 2020, 9:35 am

THX BILKO THAT HELP HEAPSS =}
Big Oz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by MtnMan » 09 May 2022, 4:38 pm

just found out that you can get an after market all weather stock and put it on the B220PG. I'm considering doing this as I prefer the ribbed barrel and bead sight over the rifle sights of the all weather model.

you can put a pistol grip stock on an all weather too.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 09 May 2022, 11:22 pm

I'd just buy a bushmeister and put the rest in the bin.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by wazz » 14 May 2022, 9:58 am

MtnMan wrote:just found out that you can get an after market all weather stock and put it on the B220PG. I'm considering doing this as I prefer the ribbed barrel and bead sight over the rifle sights of the all weather model.

you can put a pistol grip stock on an all weather too.

I have one Fore sale PM me
wazz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 14 May 2022, 10:39 am

Pistol grip sucks for slugs.
Right right charge is much more stable for a standing right hander. The two points of contact to stabilise the gun remain your shoulder and left hand on the forend. Right hand remains a light touch on the trigger and charging handle only.
Left side charge is handy for fast shots on a bench or bipod etc.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 14 May 2022, 11:45 am

PM sent Wazz
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wazz » 14 May 2022, 2:26 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Pistol grip sucks for slugs.
Right right charge is much more stable for a standing right hander. The two points of contact to stabilise the gun remain your shoulder and left hand on the forend. Right hand remains a light touch on the trigger and charging handle only.
Left side charge is handy for fast shots on a bench or bipod etc.

I actually found the complete opposite, slugs and heavy buckshot of the quad and sxs righthanded left side charging handle much easier to use,I guess everyone is different.
wazz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.