CZ515 > Savage A22R

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

CZ515 > Savage A22R

Post by InisBineest » 23 Sep 2020, 4:46 pm

A few months ago, upon hearing some news from CZ, I sold my Savage A22r.

Its replacement arrived today. I am not disappointed! Don't get me wrong, I don't downrate the Savage, I quite liked it, and mine was problem free (I've heard of others not so lucky). But CZ pretty consistently make quality gear, and this one is no exception.

Yes, it is a tad plasticky, and I would have preferred a butt stock on a metal buffer tube instead of one that looks like it is made out of recycled milk bottles (honestly that is my only gripe so far), but... it recoils back onto a metal receiver, not a plastic dust cover. So no potential bolt failure blasting into your face (as at least one A22r was reported in doing)

Another pro is your thumb can sit just behind the lever release ready to actuate it after firing. The A22r necessitated the use of your trigger finger to move to the lever release and back to the trigger. On the CZ, your trigger finger doesn't move anywhere. That said, the lever release has a longer pull (drop) than the pull on A22r's, which was heavy but short. I prefer the CZ's one already, and I've only played with it today.

Another thing to note... and I haven't decided if it is a good or bad thing, is the metal forend is sharp... like, ouchy sharp. It is not unfinished in anyway, no burrs or whatnot, but the edges on the forend and the pic rail are a lot sharper than those on my WFA1L. It still has a very quality and solid feel, but I'm not sure why they couldn't have smoothed out the edges a bit.

All in all, in my humble opinion CZ515 > A22r, and by quite a margin. The savage is still good, but the CZ just feels better. The only thing that would change my mind would be failures in function over the next 1000 rounds or so, as short of the odd stovepipe, the Savage I had was flawless.

I'll post up a bit more when I get 500 or so rounds through it... shouldn't take too long!
Attachments
sml.jpg
sml.jpg (320.63 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: CZ515 > Savage A22R

Post by Mattraff » 23 Sep 2020, 5:46 pm

Nice. I'm just waiting on my permit to come through to collect mine. I'm so undecided on what scope to put on it but am thinking a Meopta Optika6 in 2.5-15×44 mounted in a UTG Accu Sync mount. Are you using Leupold rifleman rings in medium?
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 23 Sep 2020, 10:01 pm

Mattraff wrote:Nice. I'm just waiting on my permit to come through to collect mine. I'm so undecided on what scope to put on it but am thinking a Meopta Optika6 in 2.5-15×44 mounted in a UTG Accu Sync mount. Are you using Leupold rifleman rings in medium?

The rings were the high Leupold Rifleman rings... they are not very high by my books! But they do the job for now. I will work on getting a new optic for it and a set og higher rings (Warne Ultra High QD ones are my aim, I have those on my Warwick). The Bushnell I have here has been on many rifles of mine, and gets moved on each time when I get some more quality glass.

For me, I personally prefer a higher magnification scope, but as this is a rimfire I would want it to be a wider range. I.e. 6-18x is perfect on my 223, but on this I'd prefer something with a larger multiplier, so the Optika 6 range as you suggest looks mint, or even the Zerotech Trace line. Given I'm not going to be shooting past 100m, I'm happy to settle for cheaper glass, so I'd learn towards Zerotech (or even Bushnell) for this rifle. Save the better glass for rifles that are likely to go out a bit further.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 24 Sep 2020, 4:09 pm

I too want one of these, but not the Tacticool one, It will be a second 22lr in the safe, wont get me parting with my little ruger american, me and that little gun have a heap of good memories. but wanting one of these, and thats about all I think is needed for a reason, dont you all agree?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by InisBineest » 24 Sep 2020, 10:41 pm

Ziege wrote:I too want one of these, but not the Tacticool one, It will be a second 22lr in the safe, wont get me parting with my little ruger american, me and that little gun have a heap of good memories. but wanting one of these, and thats about all I think is needed for a reason, dont you all agree?

Absolutely :D
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bman940 » 27 Sep 2020, 1:28 am

I love my CZ 455 Varmint. It shoots lights out and is always suppressed. I have mine zeroed at 100 yards for critter control around the barn. Truly hard to beat anything CZ puts out. I'll be swapping out my old scope for Meopta's new Optika5 3-15 riflescope. Parallax adjustment, a must have for my optics and a 1 inch tube so I don't need to swap out rings. I have the Optika5 4-20x50 already and it is amazingly bright edge to dege.
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by InisBineest » 27 Sep 2020, 9:17 am

bman940 wrote:I love my CZ 455 Varmint. It shoots lights out and is always suppressed. I have mine zeroed at 100 yards for critter control around the barn. Truly hard to beat anything CZ puts out. I'll be swapping out my old scope for Meopta's new Optika5 3-15 riflescope. Parallax adjustment, a must have for my optics and a 1 inch tube so I don't need to swap out rings. I have the Optika5 4-20x50 already and it is amazingly bright edge to dege.

I'm guessing you are form the US? Sadly Suppressors in Aus are on the same level as WMDs in the eyes of our gov, which is funny, in the UK where i spent some time they are almost mandatory on hunting rifles for safety reasons. Weird hey. I do like my 455 varmint, I have it with a Leupold 6.5-20x50 for what is mostly target shooting. If i were permitted a can, i'd likely change out the optic for something a little more versatile, but that prohibited, i'll be using the 515 for
rimfire hunting. It has a similar feel to my WFA1L (kind of like a straight pull neutered ARish platform) so it will be good to get some cheaper practice in on that.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 28 Sep 2020, 10:10 pm

Following up from my last post, the CZ 515... this thing shoots! As I'm waiting on some higher scope rings, I went to a cheap set of flip up sights (that have found a permanent home now!) and burned through about 400 rounds over the afternoon. A word of warning if you get one, while that quantity of ammo through a bolt gun might be a chore, it is scarily easy in this thing.

I had one failure, when a round did not go off when struck, but when I loaded it up again it did go bang so... ammo related I think? Apart from that, no stovepipes, failures to extract or load, this thing ran flawlessly.

As far as cleaning it goes, I'm going to wait and see just how dirty I can get it before it begins falter a bit. I'll keep it lubricated and such, but I don't plan to do a full strip clean until it becomes apparent that it needs one, just to see how far I can take it. At 400 rounds (ish) of bulk 22, it is a little dirty, but looks find to run for quite a bit longer until I could foresee any issues. The A22R ran surprisingly well for me while dirty, but I know that wasn't a widespread experience with that rifle.
I haven't got much to say that hasn't already been said in some of the reviews on youtube, but if you were sitting on fence for getting one of these, I recon you'd be mad not to if you can. (and there is a wooden stocked one for purists:)
Attachments
small cz 515 2.jpg
small cz 515 2.jpg (604.52 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles