Adler design flaw

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: Adler design flaw

Post by marksman » 25 Sep 2020, 12:16 pm

Elorian keep on it mate dont let them get away with it
lMHO if an action will fire out of battery it is unsafe and should not be on the market

l had a phone call from the legal guys of a manufacturer of a very expensive firearm maker who's rifle blew up because it fired out of battery that l witnessed
lets say the conversation was pleasant but l dont expect another call back
l wish the guy who this happened to would have been the one to contact me

remington bought people out for years because there trigger on the model 700 was flawed and fired without touching the trigger till one family would not be bought out after their son was accidentally shot dead because of this
l've had issue with the actions on remington centerfire pumps opening on firing as well

l wonder how Brett went with the trying cases with primers to see if they would go off in bolt action rifles, l have done this experiment and found that the only ones that would fire were in bolts that l have fitted speed lock kits :unknown:

its a lot of work to find what you are looking for but persistence will work out for you
l dont get how money can be more important than peoples welfare, sell a better product and you will sell more
good luck with it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Patriot » 25 Sep 2020, 6:19 pm

Elorion wrote:I don´t know if this thread is dead but easter this year I had an accident with my brand new Adler. While shooting it exploaded right in my face resulting in a loss of 10 teeth and crusched upper jaw. As far as I know there where no problem with the ammo, no magnum or express loads just regular skeet/training.

OP, did they ever get an answer what was the cause of the malfunction?

When I got my Adler I thought it strange that It was kinda hard to get the lever to stick all the way back while cycling and shooting it. The action would be fully closed but the lever would have a 1-2 cm wiggle-room and I would have to push it all the way upp until I hear a click. You who have an Adler, is that "click" what locks tha action in place?

/Toothless

Farken hell mate, I wouldn’t walk out in a storm if I were you.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Sep 2020, 7:01 pm

Not sure if this is in any way related to the Adler experience - I have a 28” barrel on my lever and asked my local to order me a 20” - they refused and said the only way they’d do it - was to send the firearm to NIOA and have barrel matched. I don’t think this was always the case...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Sep 2020, 7:03 pm

marksman wrote:Elorian keep on it mate dont let them get away with it
lMHO if an action will fire out of battery it is unsafe and should not be on the market

l had a phone call from the legal guys of a manufacturer of a very expensive firearm maker who's rifle blew up because it fired out of battery that l witnessed
lets say the conversation was pleasant but l dont expect another call back
l wish the guy who this happened to would have been the one to contact me

remington bought people out for years because there trigger on the model 700 was flawed and fired without touching the trigger till one family would not be bought out after their son was accidentally shot dead because of this
l've had issue with the actions on remington centerfire pumps opening on firing as well

l wonder how Brett went with the trying cases with primers to see if they would go off in bolt action rifles, l have done this experiment and found that the only ones that would fire were in bolts that l have fitted speed lock kits :unknown:

its a lot of work to find what you are looking for but persistence will work out for you
l dont get how money can be more important than peoples welfare, sell a better product and you will sell more good luck with it :drinks:

Soo, we agree on something. Very good. Unfortunately working in many industries over 20 years I have come to the very sad conclusion that it is the norm. My health is more important than the money. So I have now retired.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Elorion » 26 Sep 2020, 5:44 am

So just to be clear, the firing-pin can strike a shotgun shell even if the mechanism is not locked in it´s forward position?
Elorion
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Irish9 » 26 Sep 2020, 10:05 am

I tested a few of my rifles years ago due to this concern, used primed brass and empty 22s and none of the firearms that went click fired a primer or dented a 22 without being properly locked up. In each case they would not allow the firing pin to move even though the hammer dropped.

Some of the story's above are a concern though! Be keen to know what went wrong with the Adler blow up above :shock: I use mine a lot around home and normally have a 50g magnum up the end of the tube for the fox that (almost) gets away, may start wearing glasses...
Irish9
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Sep 2020, 10:46 am

Elorion wrote:So just to be clear, the firing-pin can strike a shotgun shell even if the mechanism is not locked in it´s forward position?

Is there a Facebook group for Adler owners?
I would think an awful lot of owners would happily test their guns with snap caps, if only for their own safety. Then you have a data set across a wide range of samples in different conditions of wear, different ammunition manufacturers, environments, modifications, etc. If there is a problem it should quickly show up. It would be great to see Facebook do something useful for gun owners!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Irish9 » 28 Sep 2020, 8:42 am

OK, had a good play around with mine, it will drop the hammer from about half way closed but the firing pin did not leave any mark on a (dud) primer until it was locked up fully. It also nailed two rabbits just the way it should shortly after testing ;-)

I too would be interested to hear the results from others Adler testing, may be a fair variation in quality between them but firing out of battery is a serious concern!
Irish9
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Johnny Jigsaw » 15 Mar 2021, 10:16 pm

I have a brand new Adler and I was testing with snap caps. It seems when i have nothing in the chamber the lever closes fine but when i have snap caps in it doesn't close all the way and i have to put extra force and really squeeze the lever to close it. i can also fire it with it not fully closed. is it dangerous ?

Could this be because of the snap caps? because i am afraid to try it with ammo encase something bad happens.
Johnny Jigsaw
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 16 Mar 2021, 1:30 am

brett1868 wrote:
John wayne special mod....

I was thinking more the "Terminator" mod where I could swing it around one handed to reload it :lol:

Guys, you have to go earlier - Chuck Connors "The Rifleman". Google it. They put a bolt/screw through the lever/triggerguard to activate the trigger as the lever closed. If you frame-by-frame the video you can pick it.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 16 Mar 2021, 6:42 pm

Johnny Jigsaw wrote:I have a brand new Adler and I was testing with snap caps. It seems when i have nothing in the chamber the lever closes fine but when i have snap caps in it doesn't close all the way and i have to put extra force and really squeeze the lever to close it.

I'm not familiar with the Adler design but with many lever (and bolt) guns - as it picks up a round from the magazine or shell carrier, it slides up under the extractor as the lever closes. If you drop a round into the action and close the lever, the extractor has to jump over the case rim against significant tension. That may explain the extra force needed to close the action on a snap cap. Is it the same if you feed a snap cap from the magazine? If so, the snap cap may have a thicker rim than an ordinary shell.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Mar 2021, 7:17 pm

"If so, the snap cap may have a thicker rim than an ordinary shell."

Sounds to me to be likely.

I wonder how the OP is going?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 17 Mar 2021, 7:45 am

brett1868 wrote:Whilst it would be much safer to have a hammer lock type safety that's disengaged when the lever is fully closed I still don't agree with it being a design fault on the Adler. It's more a design shortfall by not incorporating this extra safety and probably done to cut costs. It could be successfully argued that the operator was liable for the incident as Page 3, item 6 under both sections relating to loading the firearm clearly state "Push the lever up and close the action". If the lever was fully up and the action wasn't properly closed then there's grounds for action.

I would say what happened to duty of care?
Manufactures are legally obliged to make products safe for the consumer. No snails in drink bottles and such.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Johnny Jigsaw » 21 Mar 2021, 9:31 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:
Johnny Jigsaw wrote:I have a brand new Adler and I was testing with snap caps. It seems when i have nothing in the chamber the lever closes fine but when i have snap caps in it doesn't close all the way and i have to put extra force and really squeeze the lever to close it.

I'm not familiar with the Adler design but with many lever (and bolt) guns - as it picks up a round from the magazine or shell carrier, it slides up under the extractor as the lever closes. If you drop a round into the action and close the lever, the extractor has to jump over the case rim against significant tension. That may explain the extra force needed to close the action on a snap cap. Is it the same if you feed a snap cap from the magazine? If so, the snap cap may have a thicker rim than an ordinary shell.

Thank you my friend. I belive you are right. i filed down the top of the snap cap just abit and it seems to close better now. Thank you :)
Johnny Jigsaw
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 21 Mar 2021, 10:03 pm

You know I was surprised by my recent purchase as well.

When you plant the accelerator of the Holden in 'Park' and then engage 'Drive' it accelerates rapidly and with wheelspin. It's dangerous and could injure people.

*Paul Harrel type stare* Seriously?

Guys. Learn about your firearms. Close the action fully before firing. Don't fahrk with this stuff or 'experiment' with live rounds in the chamber.

To the bloke that was reportedly injured, hope you're doing alright. Unfortunately I doubt you will recieve compensation. For your sake I hope you do though.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by SPC » 22 Jul 2022, 4:48 am

:crazy: Hi All. Will up-date when I know more as not an expert by any means, but thought this should go out as my ears are still ringing and I now know what a12 gauge does to plaster and brick at close range.... Bit of work to do on my study wall tomorrow.
Let me start by saying love my Adler. Great knock about gun for the farm and does all I want it to do. Heard some foxes outside tonight and went for a stroll but couldn't find the buggers. Came back into the study and cycled the lever to remove the 3 shells, and "bang" as the lever was 2 thirds closed after the first shell was ejected. One hand on lever and the other and the other on the barrel. Nothing even close to the trigger. Not going to touch it so cant offer much more. Leaving as is and will drop off to my gunsmith tomm. and report his thoughts. Its not a maintenance issue and have probably only put 50 rounds through it, so wouldn't think wear. Anyway wont surmise, and am sure your all as careful as I when it comes to the direction of any weapon when its live, but be extra vigilant with your Adler until I know a bit more.
SPC
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Previous

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.