Just a happy post by a newbie - BL22

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Just a happy post by a newbie - BL22

Post by duncan61 » 24 Aug 2020, 11:30 am

target 2.jpg
target 2.jpg (171.92 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
rat rat ratty.jpg
rat rat ratty.jpg (256.48 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
Sam and I went to ABRC at Pickering brook.I was off a bipod with no bag and the gravel was a bit ordinary.I thought we would be standing at 100 yards so I did not have my benchrest.Sam did alright with the lever .22
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by PekingDuck » 29 Sep 2020, 10:43 pm

Its been a while since the last post. Absolutely loving this rifle!

Spent a bit of time filing down the front sight (Skinner front sight) .600" down to exactly .565". Now its spot on at 50m. for 100m, I just need 3 full turns high on the peep stem which seems to work well.
I've also worked out my windage results from the last posts was just me. Someone observed I've been having the rifle slightly canted when I draw. Working on improving that.

Couple things to add to the "first time" list,
First time hunting.
First kill with the first shot - Rabbit at 25m running away and offhand. 2nd Rabbit took 3 attempts. was 50m away with only its upper body visible, running and offhand.
First time dressing a land animal.
First time eating rabbit.

Having a great time learning!
Still waiting to join the local club to get some regular target practice. Social distance restrictions means they aren't taking new members.

Photos from the weekend

PekingDuck
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 30 Sep 2020, 12:08 pm

Good work Sam.Its great when it all comes together.Late next month will be a good time to go to the Waroona block and you can cruise the fence line for rabbits foxes and ducks.I can pick you up I will P.M. Later :D
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Sep 2020, 12:52 pm

Good for you PekingDuck :thumbsup: Good shooting and very nice looking rifle :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Sep 2020, 7:59 pm

Good job.gif
Good job.gif (564.78 KiB) Viewed 1944 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 30 Sep 2020, 9:22 pm

mate you put on a good show, that is the best looking Aussie tucker l've seen for ages :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Over The Hill » 27 Feb 2022, 11:32 pm

PekingDuck wrote:So i got the trigger job done. It wasn't easy finding a gunsmith willing to work on the BL22 trigger!
Originally 3.3Kg pull and now its 1.7Kg. The gunsmith said any lower and it'll the sear will start to slip and could start to slam fire. Pretty happy with the trigger, its crisp and predictable now.

Also got the new Skinner aperture rear and front sights, much easier to get a sight picture using the 6oclock hold.

Tried it out at 50yd and 100yd without any elavation/windage adjustments and unrested.
Seems like its 3" low at 50yd and 12" low at 100yd.
Will get a hold of a rest and solid time to zero for 50yd.

When does wind start to affect 22lr? It was abit windy when i shot 50yd. ~20km/hr cross winds. Wind was still when i shot 100yd.

When you are pretty confident you'll shoot low and off target at 100yds, use 2 targets :lol:

Pekingduck can you tell me who did the trigger job. I am in Perth and looking for someone to work on my BL22 which has a 5 &1/2 lb trigger
Over The Hill
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles