Dickinson T1000 problem

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Dickinson T1000 problem

Post by Irish9 » 05 Oct 2020, 11:47 am

G'day folks,

Quick and possibly slightly silly question about a 20ga Dickinson T1000. I've had it for a little while but decided to pull it apart for a good cleaning (rare for me, even the centerfires don't get much of that cleaning stuff!).

Problem is I can't get the endcap, mag end whatever it's called off, it seems as tight as a... um, better not say that, it's tight anyhow. It will not turn the slightest with hand pressure but I'm not sure if I should use more encouragement or not?

I assume it is a normal thread and should just screw off?

Any advice would be great as I would rather not break something, not much matter if the farm guns are held together with duct tape but this thing looks good for a cheap shotty.
Irish9
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Dickinson T1000 problem

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2020, 5:29 pm

Irish9 wrote:G'day folks,

Quick and possibly slightly silly question about a 20ga Dickinson T1000. I've had it for a little while but decided to pull it apart for a good cleaning (rare for me, even the centerfires don't get much of that cleaning stuff!).

Problem is I can't get the endcap, mag end whatever it's called off, it seems as tight as a... um, better not say that, it's tight anyhow. It will not turn the slightest with hand pressure but I'm not sure if I should use more encouragement or not?

Any advice would be great as I would rather not break something, not much matter if the farm guns are held together with duct tape but this thing looks good for a cheap shotty.

Wish I could help but I haven't had cause to remove mine yet.
I just tried for you though, and it is incredibly tight. I thought either the cap or the tube would've come loose with the torque I put into it, but nothing. It might be Loktited and require heat perhaps. But it's only a two-sided nut so it really shouldn't require much torque to undo. I'll have another look sometime and let you know if I manage it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 05 Oct 2020, 8:35 pm

Are you enjoying it? I'm thinking of getting one.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Irish9 » 06 Oct 2020, 6:19 am

Thanks Bladeracer, I'll maybe wrap it in something to protect the surface and really put some pressure on it and see what happens!

Mchughcb, It is a great shotgun for the price, way better than I ever expected for a cheap Turkish gun. Everything is well finished and looks good, it's light and balanced and so far 100% reliable with all ammo.

My wife bought it for me because she bought another horse without discussing it, third firearm in 18 months due to unexpected horse purchase!, they may displace sheep but I don't mind with this deal. It is a 20ga with a long barrel but I'm thinking about buying another one in 12ga with a shorter barrel to replace the adler as a spottlight shotty. They are way better than Adlers in my unhumble opinion ;-)
Irish9
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by poid » 06 Oct 2020, 11:31 am

yeah it just unscrews, regular thread. Not sure why but it needs a fair amount of torque to get going but then smoothly unscrews once you crack it. I've mine undone a couple of times but still needed some effort when I just tried it.

Agree on the quality, much nicer than the Adlers I've handled and shoots well.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 06 Oct 2020, 1:40 pm

Irish9 wrote:Thanks Bladeracer, I'll maybe wrap it in something to protect the surface and really put some pressure on it and see what happens!

Mchughcb, It is a great shotgun for the price, way better than I ever expected for a cheap Turkish gun. Everything is well finished and looks good, it's light and balanced and so far 100% reliable with all ammo.

My wife bought it for me because she bought another horse without discussing it, third firearm in 18 months due to unexpected horse purchase!, they may displace sheep but I don't mind with this deal. It is a 20ga with a long barrel but I'm thinking about buying another one in 12ga with a shorter barrel to replace the adler as a spottlight shotty. They are way better than Adlers in my unhumble opinion ;-)

Thanks, as soon as I get out of lockdown its up to Ballarat. I want a synthetic one for really bad stormy days.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Irish9 » 06 Oct 2020, 3:12 pm

Good oh, they are worth the $895 or whatever it was. Mine came from Ballarat too ;-)
Irish9
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 07 Oct 2020, 12:23 pm

Not much help but I never had any problem removing mine. It's pretty solid plastic so you should be able to put a fair bit of torque on it before it breaks.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by bladeracer » 07 Oct 2020, 12:54 pm

linkoln wrote:Not much help but I never had any problem removing mine. It's pretty solid plastic so you should be able to put a fair bit of torque on it before it breaks.

Plastic? Mine is steel, it's magnetic.
Are you talking about the big plastic nut that holds the fore end on?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Oct 2020, 1:10 pm

Just to check, you are talking about the magazine end cap, not the big plastic nut that holds the fore end on?
The nut is only hand tight, and doesn't need to be any tighter than that. It has a detent to stop it from coming loose but is not tight.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Irish9 » 07 Oct 2020, 1:46 pm

Ah sorry I did not make that clear, the first bit off when taking it apart so the bit that holds the fore end on yes. Be stuffed if I can get the bugger off but will give it another go when I get a chance.
Irish9
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 08 Oct 2020, 2:13 pm

bladeracer wrote:
linkoln wrote:Not much help but I never had any problem removing mine. It's pretty solid plastic so you should be able to put a fair bit of torque on it before it breaks.

Plastic? Mine is steel, it's magnetic.
Are you talking about the big plastic nut that holds the fore end on?

Yeah you are right. I haven't touched mine in a long time because of these lockdowns, it is made of metal.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.