Land Rover Freelander 2

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Land Rover Freelander 2

Post by Gun-nut » 15 Nov 2020, 3:23 pm

Hey guys,

Buying my first 4x4 (my first car actually), and have pretty much narrowed it down the ole' freelander 2. I like the size, and from researching online it seems to be a good vehicle with good off road capability given its size. I'm not looking to go bush bashing, just driving along country roads and camp sites where some 4x4 capability is preferred (especially in dodgy weather), but like the somewhat smaller size for driving in the city also. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? I was considering a disco 3 at one stage, but apparently they're not nearly as reliable as the smaller freelander, due to complexity among other factors. Cheers in advance fellas.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Land Rover Freelander 2

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Nov 2020, 8:52 pm

Don't get too hung up on the size issue.
If you get something largeish it'll seem like a Kenworth to start with,, but once your used to it you won't even think about it. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by womble » 17 Nov 2020, 3:33 am

That’s what she said
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Nov 2020, 5:00 pm

womble wrote:That’s what she said

What ?
Getting something large,,,,,,, :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 17 Nov 2020, 8:58 pm

Do not look at "Enthusiast" web sites in your enthusiasm.
I have little knowledge re Land Rovers but some with British vehicles.
My thoughts would be [depending on your budget] a moderate mileage MN Triton or similar.
Preferably one that has not been f$c#ed with by an "enthusiast.
Your first vehicle should be inexpensive with good [cheap] parts availability and a broad pool of knowledgeable repairers.
An interesting experiment would be to gather a list of well regarded workshops in your area and call with a hypothetical issue, if most refuse the work ?
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by perentie » 18 Nov 2020, 6:36 am

I have always owned Land Rovers. I have 7 registered now but none are newer than 92. Why, because after that they got too hard and complicated to work on.
The 1992 200TDI Discovery only has one engine control wire and thats the stop solenoid.
Thats just my opinion as I do all my own work.
Get on a Land Rover Forum such as AULRO and ask there.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Nov 2020, 12:15 pm

I was going to say that if you choose a landrover you'll need more than one to ensure you've got something that's running .... looks like perentie has set the record straight there already :lol: :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ziege » 18 Nov 2020, 6:34 pm

find a GU patrol that is registered and not running, buy it for 5k or less, then buy an LS conversion kit from marks and an ls1/2 and plonk it in, and profit.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TimTimney » 18 Nov 2020, 6:47 pm

The ol series 80 are still about at reasonable prices and are bullet proof (excuse the pun). I have one with a broke speedo but know a bloke That has on on his farm that is nearing 800k and its still running!
Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Virtue is doing it
TimTimney
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 18 Nov 2020, 7:03 pm

provided you never take a salt shaker in the thing when you go camping, never seen a car rust as bad as the 60 and 80 series cruisers.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 06 Feb 2021, 10:33 am

I drove a Freelander around the UK once . It was quite comfortable and had good heated seats but the turbo lag on the diesel was bad . You would enter the UK's insane roundabouts all moving around at 70 - 80 klsph and plant your foot to enter a gap and NOTHING happened for like a second or two and then it took off . It was dangerous . Other than that it was a nice vehicle but reliability I can't say . It was probably faulty in some way and not fully representative of the brand and model .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Diamond Jim » 07 Feb 2021, 10:28 pm

I have a 100 series Landcruiser petrol v8. Bought it after a 2010 hailstorm totalled my 80 series diesel The 80 was a much nicer car, easier to park, better fuel consumption, minimal computerisation, I could change a timing belt myself in 45 minutes for about $90 - the petrol v8 cost me about $2500 at a Toyota dealer. Plus a list of unneccessary work including $3000 for a power steering rack when what it actually needs is a 20c o-ring. 4L of power steering fluid (ATF) has lasted 5 years now and there is still 3.5L left. I might get around to fixing that steering rack one day but it won't be at a dealer - I'll take it out and get it rebuilt better than new.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 08 Feb 2021, 6:49 am

From the 4x4 use you describe there is a few soft roaders that would also do ok . Nissan x-Trail 2.5 petrol or diesel , Subaru Forester ,
Toyota Rav 4 , except they don't have the space of a long wheel base vehicle . Sometimes a lighter vehicle with short wheelbase will go places a heavy LWB vehicle can't . I remember one time at Mungindi I drove past a bogged Land Rover and a bogged truck in my Suzuki Swift front wheel drive . The surface was just dry enough so the light Suzuki never broke the crust and I also drove along the edge of the table drain in places where there was no wheel ruts . Underneath that dry crust was still wet mud . I just waved as I drove by because there was nothing I could do with my little buzz box . I currently drive a Nissan X-trail 2.5 petrol STL , to do exactly what you describe and on a formed road or track even in wet conditions it is just as capable as the bigger 4x4x's as long as the road is not ripped to hell by trucks etc . Ground clearance , towing capacity and luggage space is the main restrictions compared to a bigger 4x4 but fuel economy is better .
Watch this video it shows a Nissan X-trail Ti T31 ( top model ) ( traction control & limited slip model same as STL model ) helping a land Rover out of a bog . Now the real eye opener that most people miss completely is the X-Trail does it without any wheel slip on ROAD tires on mud ! People who think the x-trails wheels are spinning are seeing moisture from the exhaust not excessive wheel spin . I don't recommend that owners of CV type transmission vehicles do a lot of recovery work as it can damage the drive belts if you push them too far . They are not a manual Nissan Patrol or Landcruiser .
In Europe they did traction tests on many popular 4x4's to test electronic traction control systems and limited slip diffs etc . Only 3 vehicles performed as advertised as far as traction control working properly , Mercedes 4x4 , Subaru and Nissan X-Trail . Big 4x4's with no electronic traction control would not move anywhere with 2 wheels on rollers but the 3 above kept moving .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEYbeRrUPAU
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel