Buying Ammunition (NSW)

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Buying Ammunition (NSW)

Post by Point223 » 03 Nov 2014, 1:16 pm

Hi All,

So finally i bought the 7600 Remington in .308 - Now i want to buy ammo. In NSW we have to give our address details to the dealer when doing so, and I truly am paranoid about doing that. I just don't trust the nice little black book they keep around the table not to fall in the wrong hand. Hell i don't even trust the dealer himself or the people that work there not to pass on my address to crims.

My question is: how do you guys buy your ammo? do you make your own, and by doing that do you have to give your address when buying the powder and primer, casings, etc? or do you just go to a dealer give out your address and that's working fine for you?

Interested in hearing from NSW shooters only.

Thanks
Remington Model 7600 Police .308
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Buying Ammunition (NSW)

Post by North East » 03 Nov 2014, 1:19 pm

I live just over the border in Vic but get ammunition from a NSW dealer. All I have to do is show them my licence and the address is never recorded. Maybe because I have a Vic licence.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 03 Nov 2014, 1:50 pm

I dunno mate, I just show them the license and they do what they do.

I buy in bulk so I'm not down a hundred times, I get your concerns but you need to just not worry about it.

I have mine stored securely as required, the house has an alarm. Absolute worse case is my firearms are covered by my home contents insurance so they'll be replaced, but it's not likely to happen.

What other option is there? They're not going to sell you anything off the books for your peace of mind, they're just doing what the Gov tells them to do as well.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 03 Nov 2014, 5:13 pm

My take on this is that if you don't trust the dealer, find another one.
At the same time, I think you are pretty safe. I buy ammo from many dealers and never had a problem. AND THERE BLOODY BETTER NOT BE :x

If you are really paranoid about it you can reload and you do not have to provide your name and address.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms/?a=260368
Do components of ammunition constitute ammunition? NO.
Components of ammunition do not meet the definition of ammunition provided by section 4 of the Firearms Act 1996:
ammunition includes:
(a) any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and a projectile, or
(b) any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and containing a propelling charge and a projectile, or
(c) blank cartridges, airgun pellets, training cartridges or gas cartridges, or
(d) any other article prescribed by the regulations for the purposes of this definition.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Point223 » 04 Nov 2014, 10:39 am

Reloading is the only option. I'm not having my address written on no notebook somewhere. It's just BS!

Any reason why don't they just encrypt our addresses through our licenses? I work in ICT and that is easy to do. We encrypt access cards for a whole organisation and can remotely control who accesses what..

It's so frustrating...
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brisb » 11 Nov 2014, 7:56 am

Modernising and improving our registries isn't high on the priority list I'm sure.

I'm sure the powers that be like it being a pain in the ass to dissuade people from bothering.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by banoob » 11 Nov 2014, 7:59 am

Point223 wrote:Reloading is the only option. I'm not having my address written on no notebook somewhere.

Only my 2c cents here but I'm not so fussed about it.

The books are locked up in the same place as the guns. If someone breaks into a dealer it isn't going to be for a book.

As for a glance at the book or something like that, you're just one of a tonne of people and you'll get pushed into the background in notime before the book fills and gets filed away out of reach.

IMO, just gotta relax.
Ruger Magnum Hunter 300 Win Mag
Meopta 6-18x50
banoob
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Point223 » 11 Nov 2014, 9:15 am

Can't relax when it comes to the safety of my family dude.

And it's not the occasional glance, it could be someone working at the shop that decides to make friends with the Hell's Angels crew or whatever and pass on a nice list of what's in the book.

I'm definitely loading my own.
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by banoob » 12 Nov 2014, 10:13 am

Well good luck with whatever you figure out is best.
Ruger Magnum Hunter 300 Win Mag
Meopta 6-18x50
banoob
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by not shore » 28 Nov 2014, 11:51 pm

What century are you from its put on computer not in a note book been to several gun shop in NSW primers and power that take you license the only details should be name and license number I don't think any of use gun owns would take offense to that it the address info shouldn't be keep by gun shops
not shore
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 29 Nov 2014, 10:14 pm

not shore wrote:What century are you from its put on computer not in a note book been to several gun shop in NSW primers and power that take you license the only details should be name and license number I don't think any of use gun owns would take offense to that it the address info shouldn't be keep by gun shops

Powder sales are definitely recorded in a book though ammunition sales can be stored electronically or in a book and all sales require proof of ID & address. I buy from the same places so I'm not asked for ID anymore as they know me but if I was to buy from a new shop then for sure they'd have to ID me and check my address so it can be recorded in their records either on paper or on disk.

Straight from the firearms registry...

What requirements must be met to acquire ammunition?
Sections 65 & 45A of the Firearms Act 1996 prescribe that ammunition for a firearm may only be supplied to a person who produces at the time of the sale:
1.Identification showing the name and address of the purchaser, and
2.A current firearms licence or permit for a firearm that takes the type of ammunition being purchased, or
3.A permit authorising the person to purchase the ammunition.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms/firearms_and_ammunition/frequently_asked_questions
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by cuvy » 30 Nov 2014, 7:39 pm

Point223 wrote:Reloading is the only option. I'm not having my address written on no notebook somewhere. It's just BS!

Any reason why don't they just encrypt our addresses through our licenses? I work in ICT and that is easy to do. We encrypt access cards for a whole organisation and can remotely control who accesses what..

It's so frustrating...

Being government, the registry is probably just an excel spreadsheet on a shared network drive.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jeebo » 01 Dec 2014, 1:17 pm

Or on a public library computer somewhere and they run down once a week to update a few things :|

It's different here in VIC but I'm not big on showing my address in general either, I say license number should be enough for anything.
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Point223 » 01 Dec 2014, 1:46 pm

Truly the whole reason for all these rules is to restrict us from owning firearms. And dissuade us from obtaining any. What other reasons do they have to register my address everytime i buy ammo? realistically they Firearms license doesn't have an address but once they scan it into their system they connect to the same database as the RMS/RTA and can view all my details. In other words it should be sufficient to hand out my firearms license and not my Driver license.
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by whert » 02 Dec 2014, 4:34 pm

I didn't think your address was on the NSW shooters license? For obvious security reasons.

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong state?

It's written on the VIC ones though which is BS IMO.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Point223 » 03 Dec 2014, 3:08 pm

Address is not written on the NSW Firearms license.

But you're required to show driver license/photo id with address when buying ammo/powder etc, which IMHO is the same sh1t! What good is a gun if I don't have ammo to shoot?
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by whert » 04 Dec 2014, 9:33 am

I hear you, I reckon having to give them your address is BS too.

Idiotic having it on the license here. Lose your license and some crim finds it it leads them straight to your safe.

Only the cops need that. All the gun shop should need to know is that you're licensed.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Point223 » 04 Dec 2014, 10:57 am

whert wrote:I hear you, I reckon having to give them your address is BS too.

Idiotic having it on the license here. Lose your license and some crim finds it it leads them straight to your safe.

Only the cops need that. All the gun shop should need to know is that you're licensed.

100% - They Greens talk about the rise of gun related incidents being connected with arms stolen from Law Abiding firearms owners, but they miss the fact that their own introduced ammo bill facilitate the theft of guns from us.

Gangs are stealing guns from firearms owners? why not make these gangs a nice shopping list to improve their chances of finding these owners, make them a nice list at every firearm shop in the state...

Every worker at that shop has access to a nice little copy book with our addresses, names, and type of caliber and gun.... any crooked worker can pass the information to bikies/gangs etc..

It's the most frustrating thing i had to ever put up with in my entire life.. completely nonsensical, completely irrational... f*** the greens!
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 14 Nov 2020, 7:24 pm

Is it possible to buy ammunition from interstate and have it shipping into Sydney?
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Nov 2020, 7:31 pm

tb65 wrote:Is it possible to buy ammunition from interstate and have it shipping into Sydney?

Yep, comes via TNT.
Only place worth dealing with though is RebelGunWorks in Brisbane, $60 flat fee for Dangerous Goods. Other places will quote you $200+.
They may require you collect it from your dealer so check with them first.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tb65 » 14 Nov 2020, 7:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:
tb65 wrote:Is it possible to buy ammunition from interstate and have it shipping into Sydney?

Yep, comes via TNT.
Only place worth dealing with though is RebelGunWorks in Brisbane, $60 flat fee for Dangerous Goods. Other places will quote you $200+.
They may require you collect it from your dealer so check with them first.

thanks for the tip!
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Nov 2020, 9:38 pm

Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Wylie27 » 15 Nov 2020, 8:48 am

Didnt realise someone necro’d the thread
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 17 Nov 2020, 4:23 pm

Hi Seconds

"I have mine stored securely as required, the house has an alarm. Absolute worse case is my firearms are covered by my home contents insurance so they'll be replaced, but it's not likely to happen."

In-relation to the above quote, you may want to check with your insurance company to see if your rifles/guns scopes mounts etc are covered to the full value of your collection.
I spoke with my insurance company and they said they are covered for only a limited amount under contents insurance.
I had to give them a list of my rifles:
Brand, variants, scope brand and values to replace them. Just like you would do for the missus's jewellery.
It cost me a couple of dollars more on the contents insurance, but now that they are itemized, they are covered to the full replacement value.

If anyone has a decent collection then my advise to you is the have the conversation with your insurance company just to be sure. :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 17 Nov 2020, 7:36 pm

My mate told me that SSAA have insurance for $35 per year
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Bello » 19 Nov 2020, 5:06 pm

Hello Guys
SSAA offers a great insurance product but this is a quote from the SSAA web site:

QUOTE:" For just $35 per year, you will receive up to $25,000 worth of insurance cover for your firearms and fixed firearm accessories. This means that your firearms and fixed accessories will be covered at home, at the range, while hunting as well as while overseas for up to 28 days.

All privately owned firearms registered to the owner and fixed accessories are covered against accidental loss, theft or damage. This includes new, modern, antique and collectable firearms and fixed accessories such as scopes and slings. The excess is only $100 per claim and claims are settled for the replacement value of the item as assessed by an approved firearms dealer."

Some people may have more than $25,000 worth of firearms, including scopes mounts etc etc. Be careful not to under insure on these items.
The price of our firearms tends to get away from us. Look in your safe and ask, what will it cost for me to replace what I have including scopes mounts bipods etc. :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Nov 2020, 8:55 am

Wish the NSC offered insurance- ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics