Any covid unemployed thinking about fruit/veggie picking ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Any covid unemployed thinking about fruit/veggie picking ?

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Nov 2020, 5:47 pm

:lol: it'd really be great to be one of you guys that own your land :p. But as for us plebs, any others lost their jobs and looking at alternatives? :crazy:
Member-Deleted

Re: Any covid unemployed thinking about fruit/veggie picking

Post by bladeracer » 21 Nov 2020, 6:50 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote::lol: it'd really be great to be one of you guys that own your land :p. But as for us plebs, any others lost their jobs and looking at alternatives? :crazy:

In the UK, the government pays lots of money to the unemployable by letting them set up Covid testing centers that nobody uses.
https://youtu.be/VEhJDmef6U4
Might be worth applying for a government grant to do the same here.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Nov 2020, 9:00 pm

Xmas is coming up - ppl will buy anything as last minute gift ideas...those stalls that are in markets for last 4 weeks before Xmas make a fortune...buy bulk items that are different...or print pics on tshirts or mugs...as ppl wait - $25 a throw and can do several per hour.
Heck - just print out pics at a stall and frame them for Customers $30-$50 a pop.
Think outside the square a little...”find” some smaller pine trees that are growing as off shoots from diff area, pot and fert them and sell as advanced trees (these are $150 at Bunnings).
Can you cook - local food vans are making so much $$$ that they are towing their vans with audis!!!
Check out the site airtasker - its full of single mums who need help putting shot together, weeding, basic man stuff - lots $$$ and maybe side benefits in here lol
Last edited by TassieTiger on 21 Nov 2020, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Shootermick » 21 Nov 2020, 9:06 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Xmas is coming up - ppl will buy anything as last minute gift ideas...those stalls that are in markets for last 4 weeks before Xmas make a fortune...but bulk items they are different...or print pics on tshirts or mugs...
Think outside the square a little...”find” some smaller pine trees that are growing as off shoots from diff area, pot and fert them and sell as advanced trees (these are $150 at Bunnings).
Can you cook - local food vans are making so much $$$ that they are towing their vans with audis!!!
Check out the site airtasker - its full of single mums who need help putting shot together, weeding, basic man stuff - lots $$$ and maybe side benefits in here lol

I think the airtasker site will get a few visits tonight.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Nov 2020, 9:22 pm

Average hourly cost for general handyman in Hobart $60-$150....according to airtasker
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by cz515 » 21 Nov 2020, 9:29 pm

I had a customer rock up a couple weeks ago, got taking he had a berry farm, blueberries etc. I went damn you must be rich mof. Then he started winging.

About how he used to pay workers by the punnet.
Most workers would easily earn 30-35/hr. but Coles complained as some could earn less that way.
So he started paying 25/hr flat rate.
Suddenly productivity dropped, why would someone pick 50?? punnets when they could pickup 5 an hour and still get the same money.

Anyway he doesn't even pick the berries anymore, let's then rot.

told me if i ever wanted i could just come pick some. I told him it's cheaper to just get em at Coles. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then he started complaining how everyone were lazy now and with covid his friends who own very farms can't get the seasonal workers from islander countries.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 21 Nov 2020, 9:47 pm

I've heard so many whining hospitality workers and other city mongs having a whinge about not having any work meanwhile there are jobs on offer in piggeries, dairies, sheep farms, fruit orchards, vineyards, veggie farms, etc etc and every last one of the whining bastards seems to think that honest work is below them, as if they are levitating about the rest of us.

Hope they end up in irreversible debt if that's their attitude, me on the other hand, I'll bottle bull semen if it means keeping a roof over my head and food in my kids gut's, people need to wake up and take work where it is, so many assholes leeching off the system (jobkeeper and jobseeker and newstart) instead of contributing and pulling their fingers out,

I remember when Tony Abbott proposed that all Newstart bludgers who pass up a job through a Job Network provider or fail to meet job network (get off your ass and get a job ya slack c***) requirements, would then forfeit their welfare entitlements for 6 months minimum, with possible extensions to that if the quit said job after starting. So many low IQ morons whinging that they would then be "forced to do a job they dont want to do" I was not surprised by even then it still enraged me. Fancy the entitled scum, they dont want to work a job cos they dont like it, meanwhile they demand 26% of all tax paid in australia to float their useless existence regardless if Us the Tax payers want to float them or not.

My opinion people on centerlink are the lowest most useless idiots around. (excluding disabled pensions, aged pensions and any other service or disability related payment obviously)

soz, rant over.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 21 Nov 2020, 9:50 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Average hourly cost for general handyman in Hobart $60-$150....according to airtasker

I used to do supplementary handy man jobs inbetween freelance welding and other construction jobs. I used to charge a flat rate on some jobs, or else if I didnt know exactly how long it would take about $80 per hour, $150 an hour is extortion if the guy doesn't have a trade qualification for the task being undertaken.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by womble » 22 Nov 2020, 2:04 am

Much or mostly in agreeance with Ziege again. Note to self, get my head checked.
Other than that, Any job is what you make of it. And you treat even the low paid menial work with the utmost professionalism.
If times are hard you just take whatever you can get. And just push on from there.
And hospitality now, for every 10 jobs advertised they get one applicant.
As for fruit picking, just do it, adventure, new friends, backpackers, more worldly perspective. Work hard, play hard, girls, drugs, alcohol, hot sun and dust. That’s living.
Rooting, lots of rooting. Again, think nothing is beneath me. Regional nsw, you can borrow a trailer to bring home a local girl. Your best singlet is sure to impress.
Just root everything when in nsw.
Last edited by womble on 22 Nov 2020, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 22 Nov 2020, 2:46 am

Shootermick wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Xmas is coming up - ppl will buy anything as last minute gift ideas...those stalls that are in markets for last 4 weeks before Xmas make a fortune...but bulk items they are different...or print pics on tshirts or mugs...

I think the airtasker site will get a few visits tonight.

:D Hundreds of single mums in your area need a service.
I think their server has crashed.
I love single mums.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Nov 2020, 6:08 am

Ziege and Womble, let me just point out as someone who has done a little veggie picking, lived in several backpackers and has applied for more of those positions than I care to remember, most places exploit workers, a lot of them don't like hiring Aussies because they have said "no thanks" to the s**ty piece rates (people who don't meet minimum standards are booted if it's p/h not piece rate). Most farms you have to pay for expensive accomodation also, whether it is on the farm or at a backpackers (some farms hire exclusively from the hostels as they have some under-the-table deal). Typically it's around $250 a week. Now if you have to pay rent at another place at the same time, that's going to chew into about half your wage if you are fast enough and the pay is good enough. A lot of backpackers end up in the red, but they need the 88 days so they just put up with it and pay the difference.

I'll also put it out there that there isn't nearly as much sexing as you'd imagine. Everyone is already too f***ed from the long days work. I would love to challenge anyone who thinks people are just being lazy for not trying for those jobs to 1. Try and get yourself one of those jobs, 2. Try and stick at it for a month. See how you end up. It's a rort that's rife with exploitation.

I've also had a bit of experience labouring in farms, but not with any animals, I've never been able to score those jobs and they aren't willing to accept a volunteer for work experience. Mainly with hay bailing, fire season prep, rolling up old fencing wire and collecting posts.

Don't be so harsh on all us unemployed folks, 1. this was forced on us, 2. Hundreds of people apply for jobs going around 3. There is going to be a decent chunk of society unemployed no matter which way you slice it. 4. The "job providers" are a rort, they make billions by keeping you unemployed and playing the system.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Nov 2020, 6:23 am

Also if you don't believe me, there are plenty of journo articles investigating it, along with the Fair Work Ombudsman who has plenty to say about it also.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Nov 2020, 6:34 am

bladeracer wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote::lol: it'd really be great to be one of you guys that own your land :p. But as for us plebs, any others lost their jobs and looking at alternatives? :crazy:

In the UK, the government pays lots of money to the unemployable by letting them set up Covid testing centers that nobody uses.
https://youtu.be/VEhJDmef6U4
Might be worth applying for a government grant to do the same here.

Interesting. I highly doubt Victoria would hand that responsibility out to any man and his dog especially after the hotel quarantine debacle :lol: England is so backwards though.
Member-Deleted

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Nov 2020, 6:49 am

Unfortunately growers prefer to use people who speak poor or no English. Those types are more easily exploited, work harder and complain less.
Despite the large number of locals ready for work, many growers are complaining to the government about the low availability of tourists with work visas this year.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 22 Nov 2020, 7:05 am

Fruit picking was your idea. No-one believes it will make them rich.
Some people find work. Some don’t.
The difference between them. Some want it badder than others.
If you don’t want that job as badly as the next guy, you lose.
Any job is better than no job.

It’s a dog eat dog world. I am grateful for people who don’t try hard. It gives me an edge.
If i get laid off i start work immediately.
Looking for work becomes my full time job. Long hours without pay. I break to eat and sleep. I will work for free if they give me a try out.
I will be registered with every employment agency.
What’s your edge ?
How can you beat me to get that job. You need to.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Nov 2020, 7:09 am

I used to pick grapes (cut from vines) - yes, the vineyard pushed the workers because of deadlines, but at the end of the day, the vineyard owner would personally come down and thank each and every worker, help cook the bbq, serve up the food for everyone and ask us to please, please return tomorrow.
It’s a sad fact that even back then, they couldn’t get enough local workers because it was considered peasant work...
Hell - i remember it used to be a community sleight to be on Centrelink...it was an out right embarrassment but now...it’s like a badge to many.
At one stage in my early 20’s - economy went bad in my industry (yep, was forced upon us as well)...I bought some $2 squidgies and went door knocking and washing windows at one stage - just to earn enough so I could stay off Centrelink...the fact it was ground upon meant ppl got creative to supplement their income.

Edit - just googled a couple jobs fruit picking, farm stay with food was $150 a week. Now take a person who has to drive to work every day - $70-80 a week regardless. Add in breakfast, lunch and dinner and that 150 is starting to look pretty good - regardless.
Last edited by TassieTiger on 22 Nov 2020, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Nov 2020, 7:15 am

womble wrote:Fruit picking was your idea. No-one believes it will make them rich.
Some people find work. Some don’t.
The difference between them. Some want it badder than others.
If you don’t want that job as badly as the next guy, you lose.
Any job is better than no job.

It’s a dog eat dog world. I am grateful for people who don’t try hard. It gives me an edge.
If i get laid off i start work immediately.
Looking for work becomes my full time job. Long hours without pay. I break to eat and sleep. I will work for free if they give me a try out.
I will be registered with every employment agency.
What’s your edge ?
How can you beat me to get that job. You need to.

My edge is I'm smart about the jobs I take, I don't take the jobs that put my health and ability at significant risk for the sake of having a job. I don't support predatory employers by not applying or working for them. I find quality employers and I work hard for them.

What looks best to an employer depends on the employer, but in the end I believe I'd be far better off finding quality employers that work with and support their staff, rather than those that exploit them. Because a predatory employer is going to either leave you with injuries without compensation, dead, broke, depressed, or if you are smart enough to move on, you'd be left with a lot of different short term jobs listed and probably piss-poor references who won't remember your name or bother to give you a decent reference.
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Nov 2020, 7:16 am

Eh, predatory employers ? Ok then...
As above - it’s not unusual that workers spend $150 a week getting to their work via vehicle, paying for food...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Nov 2020, 7:22 am

TassieTiger wrote:Eh, predatory employers ? Ok then...

Yes, predatory employers, the ones that hire, exploit, work to the bone, poorly compensate or f*** you around and will leave you up s**t Creek without a paddle if you're injured on the job or similar.

I'm not talking about fuel and groceries am I? You pay a premium to be able to stay at an accomodation to get the job, then you have you basic expenses. They may offer a free shuttle, or it may be at an extra cost (usually at premium price trying to gouge as much as they can out of the workers)
Last edited by Member-Deleted on 22 Nov 2020, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member-Deleted

Post by womble » 22 Nov 2020, 7:26 am

Well then you’re very lucky. To be able to pick and choose.
Perhaps you can afford not to work.
I’m not in that position. Different worlds.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Nov 2020, 7:29 am

Sounds like you don’t want to go fruit picking...
Every employer is mandated by law to have worker’s compensation insurance etc...

From additional-
“Where any worker or fruit picker feels that the tasks they are performing are dangerous, or that their working conditions are unsafe, they shouldn't be afraid to formally raise this with their employer who has a non-delegable duty to ensure the worker’s safety.
Anyone currently working on a farm or thinking about entering into a labouring or fruit picking role should take the time to read up and educate themselves on Australian laws and their workplace rights. This knowledge will prove invaluable should they ever find themselves in a compromising situation.”
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Nov 2020, 7:30 am

womble wrote:Well then you’re very lucky. To be able to pick and choose.

That's on you and how you set yourself up. You may have set yourself up in a position where you are constantly desperate.
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Nov 2020, 7:39 am

280 ring ins coming in to help farmers get crops off the field and it’s still no where near enough...yet, we have record unemployment? My guess is there will be an outcry from many unemployed and then an even bigger outcry re food prices...lolz all round.
Little Canadian pass in article seems to be able to cope with the predatory employers lol.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-22/ ... 0/12901704
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Nov 2020, 7:39 am

TassieTiger wrote:Sounds like you don’t want to go fruit picking...
Every employer is mandated by law to have worker’s compensation insurance etc...

From additional-
“Where any worker or fruit picker feels that the tasks they are performing are dangerous, or that their working conditions are unsafe, they shouldn't be afraid to formally raise this with their employer who has a non-delegable duty to ensure the worker’s safety.
Anyone currently working on a farm or thinking about entering into a labouring or fruit picking role should take the time to read up and educate themselves on Australian laws and their workplace rights. This knowledge will prove invaluable should they ever find themselves in a compromising situation.”

Sounds like you've never experienced first-hand or second-hand employer abuse and exploitation...

It's all good to know you have rights, but God forbid you mention them, suddenly there's no more work and maybe your payment gets lost somewhere in the nether, they'll call you when they find it. Why do you think so many farms avoid hiring Aussies? Because the Aussie workers have been burned and they know their rights. If you're a lowly worker that's barely making bank, what are you going to do? Get a lawyer? Take them to court? They've got financial backing up the hoo-hah, the worker would be bankrupt and destitute by Friday.
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Nov 2020, 7:45 am

BangWhizzClack wrote:

That's on you and how you set yourself up. You may have set yourself up in a position where you are constantly desperate.

Or maybe - there wasn’t the hand outs about like there are today...

All I’m hearing is excuses mate. “Predator employers” is a made up concept based on the entitled not wanting to work. Sure there are unscrupulous employers, but with the regs in place now - they are few and far between. Picking fruit is not the easiest job - that’s why many sissies shy away...and then make up s**t about conditions...migrants don’t mind hard work...they don’t complain...they are valued because of it.
If you want a job, you’ll get one. If you don’t, then you’ll complain about it. The end.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Nov 2020, 7:48 am

TassieTiger wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:

Or maybe - there wasn’t the hand outs about like there are today...

All I’m hearing is excuses mate. “Predator employers” is a made up concept based on the entitled not wanting to work. Sure there are unscrupulous employers, but with the regs in place now - they are few and far between. Picking fruit is not the easiest job - that’s why many sissies shy away...and then make up s**t about conditions...migrants don’t mind hard work...they don’t complain...they are valued because of it.
If you want a job, you’ll get one. If you don’t, then you’ll complain about it. The end.

Life must be easy for you with that mindset XD
Member-Deleted

Post by cz515 » 22 Nov 2020, 11:45 am

FB_IMG_1606009516736.jpg
FB_IMG_1606009516736.jpg (40.24 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 22 Nov 2020, 11:49 am

Interesting Whizz, we cant get workers here for under $40 an hour no matter the task, backpackers or not. so clearly this is an issue for other parts of the country, I know till about 8 years ago farmers here were still trying to pay people as low as $18.60 (base award) and were griping about mines overpaying people and that "fking them over" but times have changed. Mean rent for a room in this district is about $80-$120 a week which is fair and the workers are making upwards of $1500 a week. but even then there are loads of lazy f***s in town here and neighbouring towns that happily sit on their ass and EXPECT centerlink as if its a god given right. I am completely insulted that they have this level of entitlement and believe it should be stripped from them.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by womble » 22 Nov 2020, 11:50 am

Desperate to set my wife up so she will be able to survive without my income, in the event of my death.
Desperate to ensure my children want for nothing.
Desperate to set a good example for them.
Desperate to pay for my daughters weddings.
Desperate to be in a position to help any of my extended family should they ever need it.
Desperate to be able to give back.

I don’t live an uncomfortable life, but i will always want more for them.

Desperate. Yes I’ll wear that.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 22 Nov 2020, 11:56 am

BangWhizzClack wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Sounds like you don’t want to go fruit picking...

From additional-

Sounds like you've never experienced first-hand or second-hand employer abuse and exploitation...

It's all good to know you have rights, but God forbid you mention them, suddenly there's no more work and maybe your payment gets lost somewhere in the nether, they'll call you when they find it. Why do you think so many farms avoid hiring Aussies? Because the Aussie workers have been burned and they know their rights. If you're a lowly worker that's barely making bank, what are you going to do? Get a lawyer? Take them to court? They've got financial backing up the hoo-hah, the worker would be bankrupt and destitute by Friday.

Mate I have an Adv-Dip in WHS, if someone is forcing an employee to do dangerous things there are more than a few avenues for reporting anonymously and also if that employee is smart they will get/keep evidence of it as signs of contributory negligence and they will sue and profit greatly. There are more than a few paths to deal with offenders in Occupational Safety and Health issues. And more litigation lawyers would happily take up the cause on a commission basis.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation