Cleaning Scope Lense

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Cleaning Scope Lense

Post by Timboon » 21 Nov 2020, 5:51 pm

So I understand the lense cleaning cloth is what most fellas use but I find them frustrating.

Seems to be an easy way to scratch a lens and or smear the muck around and not get the lense what i'd call really clean.

I'm sure there are fellas here that have a ripper method so i'll pass it over to the experts.

And one last thing...

I have some of the older Hilver mounts that have the screw driver grub screws to tighten the scope down.

I want to replace these with hex, is there a goto place to order online or is it just a case of taking to the appropriate shop around home and find a match.

I just bought a torque screwdriver, i'll go through all my rifles and fixings now and do things "properly"...

Cheers in advance....

Boon
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Cleaning Scope Lense

Post by Grandadbushy » 21 Nov 2020, 6:57 pm

G'day Timboon, mate all i've ever used for cleaning scope lenses is a piece of soft cotton ''singlet'' or the same in T- shirt i've never had problems with scratched scope lenses from using that , when doing a clean up at home i use a normal lense cleaner you buy for your glasses, it comes in a packet soaked in alcohol then wipe dry with the soft cotton , As for the screws you can buy most types of screws from ''Bolt'' supply shops or maybe places that supply engineering supplies just match the threads properly, if you can't do that you could ask a person that can but most shops have their own person that can do that for you
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Nov 2020, 7:51 pm

Should you use a lens cleaning solution, DON"T spray directly onto the lens, just spray onto cleaning cloth 1st. There is a lens cleaning pen that's available from photographic shops as well as the local G.S.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 22 Nov 2020, 5:50 am

Depending on just how old they are, those Hillver rings are likely to have 4BA threads.
If that is the case they will now be very difficult to find in Australia but you should be able to find them on UK ebay.
If you are in luck then they will be 6-48 which are relatively easily obtained.
If indeed they are 4BA and you can't find suitable replacements then a possible option is to retap to M4 which are readily available and is only slightly larger in size.
The M4x0.7 thread pitch is fairly close 4BA pitch which is a bonus.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 22 Nov 2020, 12:56 pm

Having used high end photographic lenses over the last 40 years, all I used to clean the lens on any of them was the "huff" method and a good clean bit of cotton cloth, even a hanky. The "huff" method is simply breathing (not spitting) onto the lens and then wiping from the centre, outwards and a circular motion. This info came to me via a well respected lens repairer/manufacturer. I still use this method today including cleaning my rifle scope lenses.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Timboon » 22 Nov 2020, 1:40 pm

Thanks for the replies, some cotton sounds like it is the way to go and SS thanks a heap for the thread advice. I'll goto an engineering mate and find out what i'm looking at...
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by deanp100 » 22 Nov 2020, 5:12 pm

I use a good pure alcohol glass cleaner and squirt a lot on so it washes dust off, and then wipe with a microfibre cloth. Acetone is good as well. The scope repair guy in Brisbane uses acetone to clean glass.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 22 Nov 2020, 8:32 pm

I normally use a micro fibre cloth. I usually just huff on it and wipe it clean.
I also have a Leupold Lense pen. The brush end is pretty good at clearing fine bits of dust and stuff.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Nov 2020, 8:36 pm

Go to Evilbay and look up the little rubber squeeze puff balls (or whatever they are called) Made in China and only cost a few bucks.
I've got 3 of em.

Great for blowing particles and dust off the lens before you start rubbing with cloth.

If you leave gritty stuff and dust on the lens,,,,,,, and then start rubbing with a cloth is similar to using fine emery paper to clean your expensive
glass with. :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Nov 2020, 8:41 pm

?
Attachments
E7203CB1-89A7-4313-9BA3-BD4E83657CF8.jpeg
E7203CB1-89A7-4313-9BA3-BD4E83657CF8.jpeg (63.18 KiB) Viewed 1973 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Scopes, sights and optics