Handgun suggestions for a handgun newbie

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: Handgun suggestions for a handgun newbie

Post by ThatNewGuy » 22 Nov 2020, 5:33 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Keep in mind that the price they offer for yours is still going to leave a fair gap to pay for the one you're buying.

So do handguns not keep value very well outside of collectables? or am I reading it wrong?
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Nov 2020, 6:11 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Keep in mind that the price they offer for yours is still going to leave a fair gap to pay for the one you're buying.

So do handguns not keep value very well outside of collectables? or am I reading it wrong?

So if you bought a handgun at retail price, a dealer will pay you less than that, so that he can make a profit selling it. Depending on the gun you're swapping it for, he may just do the swap, and depending on the value difference may even give you store credit/cash. But typically if you bought a 2k gun, and you were swapping it for a 2k gun, depending on the shop's policies and how much the owner likes you, I'd figure a guess and say he'd probably give you 1600-1700, and then you make up the difference. Retailers never pay retail. That's for chumps like you and I :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 22 Nov 2020, 6:31 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:
ThatNewGuy wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

So if you bought a handgun at retail price, a dealer will pay you less than that, so that he can make a profit selling it. Depending on the gun you're swapping it for, he may just do the swap, and depending on the value difference may even give you store credit/cash. But typically if you bought a 2k gun, and you were swapping it for a 2k gun, depending on the shop's policies and how much the owner likes you, I'd figure a guess and say he'd probably give you 1600-1700, and then you make up the difference. Retailers never pay retail. That's for chumps like you and I :lol:

Can a dealer really offer that much and still mark it up enough to be worth the paperwork?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Nov 2020, 6:37 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

They keep their value like anything else, if you sell it yourself. If you trade it to a dealer, he has to give you a low enough price that he can put a decent mark-up on it and still sell it for significantly less than a new one sells for, otherwise most people are going to pay a little more and buy a new one.

Have a look at the new price.
How much would you be willing to pay for a near-new secondhand one rather than pay the new price? Personally I'd prefer to pay $2000 for a new one than $1600 for a near-new secondhand one.
Now deduct whatever mark-up the dealer is going to want to make on it when he sells it to you for that price.
That should give you a rough idea on what it'll be worth to trade it.

I'm sure there must be tons of people that have done precisely this trade with all sorts of firearms, maybe somebody can tell us how the numbers stacked up for them?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Nov 2020, 6:46 pm

bladeracer wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:
ThatNewGuy wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Can a dealer really offer that much and still mark it up enough to be worth the paperwork?

I was going to go into that if it's status goes from New-unfired to Used then it will lose value, I am not exactly sure how much they'd they'd pay as I'm not great with valuations, it's up to the store owner and how much he likes you really. I was just guessing. But it was just an example of if you bought it and then took it back unused the sort of principle of it and reasoning. I should have explained further, my mistake.
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 22 Nov 2020, 7:03 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:I was going to go into that if it's status goes from New-unfired to Used then it will lose value, I am not exactly sure how much they'd they'd pay as I'm not great with valuations, it's up to the store owner and how much he likes you really. I was just guessing. But it was just an example of if you bought it and then took it back unused the sort of principle of it and reasoning. I should have explained further, my mistake.

The G2 in .357Mag is $1300.
https://www.cleaverfirearms.com/Products.aspx?Category=Handguns&Brand=301
Usedguns listed one in July for $1095 in Tassie, identical pistol but with an added pic rail and "only been sighted in".
I don't know if being in Tassie affects the pricing but that was a private sale, not a dealer price. Can't see any further detail, or if he actually got that for it when he sold it. Several others sold with additional .22LR barrels seemed to list at $1200 to $1500, and one with three barrels and three scopes at $2500.
https://www.usedguns.com.au/SearchResults.aspx?term=thompson&sold=True&currentad=True&cat=0&calibre=0&condition=0&state=0&page=1
I'd be guessing selling a totally stock one privately you'd likely be wanting $1000 for a $1300 pistol, so a dealer is likely to offer significantly less than that.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ThatNewGuy » 22 Nov 2020, 7:38 pm

CZ is a company I have seen recommended a lot here (this thread) Is there something superior about their quality compared to other European brands such as Baretta or HK or even sig?

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Nov 2020, 8:22 pm

I've never held or used a Beretta or HK, so I cannot say. But I can say that CZ's (as Hikock45 would say) "fit like a glove". They make very decent competition pistols like the Shadow 2 that are very flexible, and all round do a lot of catering for the Australian market. Beretta did try and come out with a competitor to CZ, but I don't think it really took off here. HK's are apparently very nice feeling and shooting guns. I mentioned it before in an earlier comment, but CZ's are just popular, so chances are if you're going to come across pistols at clubs, they'll be a CZ. You'll grow accustomed to their feel.
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 22 Nov 2020, 8:58 pm

I concur, the CZ75/85 and clones is a brilliant design, particularly if you like the classic military pistols, I have no doubt their newer models carry that on.

One thing our new laws do is open up the viability of the smaller grip of a single-stack semi-auto, like the 9mm or .38 Super 1911, S&W M39, Sig P210 or Walther P38/P1 - I think you mentioned a bit of a classic preference. I have large hands and can handle a 17+1 pistol just fine, but for smaller hands they are pretty bulky, and pointless when you are stuck with 10rd mags. If you can find one, have a feel of the early Sig P210 - that is one amazing design that goes back over seventy years. I don't know if it'd be viable to run an old one as a regular IPSC pistol though, I think they are quite collectible now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YXgBXvBSlk
https://buyusedguns.com.au/listings/sig-pistol-with-holster-model-p210/

I have never held an M39 but it's a pistol that caught my eye when I was very young and I have lusted after one for 45 years :-)

I don't find the Beretta 92 comfortable, but my hand is quite messed up and it may be due to that rather than the design itself.
Last edited by bladeracer on 23 Nov 2020, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ThatNewGuy » 23 Nov 2020, 10:10 am

bladeracer wrote:I concur, the CZ75/85 and clones is a brilliant design, particularly if you like the classic military pistols, I have no doubt their newer models carry that on.

One thing our new laws do is open up the viability of the smaller grip of a single-stack semi-auto, like the 9mm or .38 Super 1911, S&W M39, Sig P210 or Wather P38/P1 - I think you mentioned a bit of a classic preference. I have large hands and can handle a 17+1 pistol just fine, but for smaller hands they are pretty bulky, and pointless when you are stuck with 10rd mags. If you can find one, have a feel of the early Sig P210 - that is one amazing design that goes back over seventy years. I don't know if it'd be viable to run an old one as a regular IPSC pistol though, I think they are quite collectible now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YXgBXvBSlk
https://buyusedguns.com.au/listings/sig-pistol-with-holster-model-p210/

I have never held an M39 but it's a pistol that caught my eye when I was very young and I have lusted after one for 45 years :-)

I don't find the Beretta 92 comfortable, but my hand is quite messed up and it may be due to that rather than the design itself.

I did a quick search of all of the handguns that you have mentioned I found a CZ75/B?? and according to the description, it's a collectors-only handgun? The P38/P1 I recognize and the only difference that I can see between the two is the year of manufacture. The Sig P210 I would have to sell a kidney for... despite thier clean lines I kinda need both of those for whisk(e)y on one liver would be painful

I've held a replica beretta 92fs and they feel nice but something kept bothering me and I couldn't figure out what it was,

The M39 I thought you were calling out the mosin variant for a minute before my brain kicked into gear and as far as I can tell they look like shortend 1911s?

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Macross » 23 Nov 2020, 12:09 pm

Expect to loose 50% of a guns original purchase price if you want to trade it at a dealer. I can vouch for this as recently purchase a new pistol for my wife brand new. She isnt happy with it and I ran the idea of a like for like trade in at the shop where we purchased it. Im quite friendly with one of the staff there and he said straight up he would be flat out offering me half what we paid and couldn't in good conscience suggest it as an option. Can depend on the handgun but factor in half price and you'll be in the ball park of what they will offer you.
I think like for like would be much better if you had an older gun in need of repair or you perhaps picked up super cheap second hand, then it could be an option to switch it up and not have to get a new PTA.... but swapping out new guns for the sake of trying something different is gonna be an expensive exercise.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ob1 » 23 Nov 2020, 12:10 pm

CZ Shadow is the better competition offshoot of the CZ75. A much better buy in the CZ range.

Be aware that many used pistols probably sell direct through the various clubs and sites like mewe and you will not be seeing what is available. For example, the pistols below are on a mewe IPSC site and not on usedguns. All around the $1500 - $1800 range with mags, etc. You will not find the best buys unless you are already in the scene. Catch 22.

Newbies often get stuck with what the gun shop has to sell, rather than something more desirable being sold within the sport.

I would not stray far from CZ, Tanfoglio and 1911 for a first centrefire pistol.

screenshot_20201123__Giw85.jpg
screenshot_20201123__Giw85.jpg (189.47 KiB) Viewed 6547 times

screenshot_20201123__DrlOZ.jpg
screenshot_20201123__DrlOZ.jpg (292.96 KiB) Viewed 6547 times

screenshot_20201123__fR8OH.jpg
screenshot_20201123__fR8OH.jpg (188.36 KiB) Viewed 6544 times

screenshot_20201123__KRsC6.jpg
screenshot_20201123__KRsC6.jpg (108.91 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
Attachments
Screenshot_20201123-101651_MeWe.jpg
Screenshot_20201123-101651_MeWe.jpg (710.14 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by ThatNewGuy » 23 Nov 2020, 12:28 pm

Macross wrote:Expect to loose 50% of a guns original purchase price if you want to trade it at a dealer. I can vouch for this as recently purchase a new pistol for my wife brand new. She isnt happy with it and I ran the idea of a like for like trade in at the shop where we purchased it. Im quite friendly with one of the staff there and he said straight up he would be flat out offering me half what we paid and couldn't in good conscience suggest it as an option. Can depend on the handgun but factor in half price and you'll be in the ball park of what they will offer you.
I think like for like would be much better if you had an older gun in need of repair or you perhaps picked up super cheap second hand, then it could be an option to switch it up and not have to get a new PTA.... but swapping out new guns for the sake of trying something different is gonna be an expensive exercise.

So would buying something older with plenty of parts be a viable option or would I actually need proper gunsmithing skills for that to be a viable option?

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Nov 2020, 12:30 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:
Macross wrote:Expect to loose 50% of a guns original purchase price if you want to trade it at a dealer. I can vouch for this as recently purchase a new pistol for my wife brand new. She isnt happy with it and I ran the idea of a like for like trade in at the shop where we purchased it. Im quite friendly with one of the staff there and he said straight up he would be flat out offering me half what we paid and couldn't in good conscience suggest it as an option. Can depend on the handgun but factor in half price and you'll be in the ball park of what they will offer you.

So would buying something older with plenty of parts be a viable option or would I actually need proper gunsmithing skills for that to be a viable option?

Handguns a typically pretty easy to exchange parts. At least the parts that are likely to fail eventually.

Buying anything of historical/collector value will leave you spending money out the wazoo getting replacement parts for most likely. Anything uncommon will likely do the same like some Western European brands. I personally take into account how easy would it be to come across spare parts if I needed them and how expensive would they be. If that's not a priority for you mate, focus on what is. Do some research, search around and see if any shops or clubs have them for you to get a grip on. Figure out what competitions you like, and would continue shooting. Make sure it can be used in those comps and then take into account any other priorities you might have. After all, it's your time and money you're investing, what I like you may hate. :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 23 Nov 2020, 1:03 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:I did a quick search of all of the handguns that you have mentioned I found a CZ75/B?? and according to the description, it's a collectors-only handgun? The P38/P1 I recognize and the only difference that I can see between the two is the year of manufacture. The Sig P210 I would have to sell a kidney for... despite thier clean lines I kinda need both of those for whisk(e)y on one liver would be painful

I've held a replica beretta 92fs and they feel nice but something kept bothering me and I couldn't figure out what it was,

The M39 I thought you were calling out the mosin variant for a minute before my brain kicked into gear and as far as I can tell they look like shortend 1911s?

I wouldn't make a judgement based on a non-firing replica, unless it's a high-quality old-school one like Marushin. I started collecting them when I was about ten, and built a very sizable collection over several decades...that I had give away before leaving WA :-(

The old models were true replicas of the originals. All the internal parts replicated exactly like the genuine firearm so you could actually learn how the original operated. Modern models tend to replicate only the aesthetics, often not very precisely, and the internal parts, and external controls bear zero relevance to the original firearm. There are still some astonishingly good true replica models being made, but they are very expensive, and not generally legal in most states. Denix is probably the cheapest and lowest quality manufacturer, and even their models can cost as much as the real firearm will cost you, and in most states they still require the same licence, genuine reason, and security as the real one, so just buy real ones.

I struggle to associate the M39 with the 1911. I think most famously the M39 is remembered as the "hush-puppy" for its suppressed use in the tunnels of Vietnam.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by johnboy357 » 05 Dec 2020, 1:11 pm

Hi New Guy
rc42 and Bugman pretty much have it nailed - if you follow that advice you can not go far wrong. To some extent it will depend on which club you belong to and who they are affiliated with - main two associations are Sporting Shooters Association Australia and Pistol Australia. PA clubs mostly shoot ISSF & PA specific matches and the rules for those matches can dictate things like barrel length and trigger weights etc. SSAA are a bit more "liberal" with their rules. As you are already "in the system" so to speak you probably already belong to a club. If not then you need to sus out clubs in your local area to see what matches they shoot and go along as an observer to as many shoots as you can to see what matches you might like - don"t pick the first one that looks like fun - see them all.
The SSAA web site has a list of all their disciplines so that might be of some help https://ssaaqld.org.au/discipline/

. Once you find a match you think you might like to try talk to the guys shooting that match and they should be able to give you some idea of what pistol to buy as your first gun. For heavens sake don't ask the dude behind the counter at ANY gun shop as most of them do not have a clue as to match rules.

Personal opinion - a good reliable .22 LR semi auto [ Ruger Mk VI, Browning Buckmark Contour, Beretta 87 Target ] - all should be a good choice - cheap ammo for a .22 { compered to centrefire } should also be taken into consideration.
johnboy357
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by boingk » 05 Dec 2020, 7:56 pm

Hi mate, I've done this recently and ended up with a Norinco 1911A1. Its used, but came cased with a cleaning kit and a few mags so no issues there.

My reasoning was that it was cheap enough that it wouldn't lose value if I was to sell and that from a historical perspective its hard to beat - still in use with various military units around the world, still manufactured by many companies including the original Colt, plus has a history of 110 years, two World Wars and countless other conflicts. The fact it was designed by the one and only John Moses Browning just sweetens the deal.

I haven't laid hands on my Norinco yet, but if you're still looking when that happens I'll be sure to let you know what I think of it.

If you do want a Glock, I've used them before and never had a drama. Reasonable accuracy, positive cycling, and felt comfortable for my slightly-larger-than-average hands. No complaints.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Ziege » 05 Dec 2020, 8:52 pm

CZ SP01 or CZ Shadow 2...
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by cherieanne1953 » 16 Dec 2020, 11:13 am

ThatNewGuy wrote:Good afternoon guys and gals,

I am going to be doing my safety course for a cat H license soon and was wondering what you fine people suggest for a beginner (and history buff) once my 6 months provisionary wait is up. I was tempted for a luger before I saw the recent post on those, I'm now thinking of a G2 or even a G1 contender due to its multi-caliber potential.

I'm in QLD if that makes suggestions easier.

Thank you for your suggestions,
That (reasonably)NewGuy

Done My H and filled out all forms and paid this September. this year still not heard anything they do say please do not ring us, So my hubby and I are still waiting. if we have not heard anything in January 2021, we will ring as we done our A&B and had that for a few years now, I just like to know why It takes so long, as we both love target shooting and enjoy going to the club, we done everything they want, So now its just waiting. and praying we here from them soon.
cherieanne1953
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 13 Jan 2021, 2:10 am

BangWhizzClack wrote:Oh, and :welcome:

I've heard many people tell how they bought a glock as a first handgun, because... it's a glock.. they always regret it. I don't know why, they never say, they just shake their heads and suggest you don't do the same.

Not my experience. I replaced my .40 Glock model 22 with a 9mm Glock model 34 due to Johnny changing the goal posts. Love the platform - almost foolproof. I think I preferred the .40 but that's not an option any more. I also own a nice revolver that is smooth as cat poo but the Glock is the one that gets to the range 95% of the time.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Zappa » 13 Jan 2021, 5:00 am

Diamond Jim wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:. I also own a nice revolver that is smooth as cat poo but the Glock is the one that gets to the range 95% of the time.

Im in the market for a revolver. Which one do you have ?
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Macross » 13 Jan 2021, 8:01 am

I love my revolver. I found a second hand S&W 686 SSR in pristine condition. Has had some trigger work done and is such a nice gun to shoot.

The Ruger GP100 is an absolute tank and your great grand kids would likely still be shooting it if looked after well.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 13 Jan 2021, 11:32 am

A S&W 686 is on my list to purchase as soon as the government accepts that it's safe for me to have another pistol.

Beautifully made revolvers, they don't quite seem to have the 'tank like' build of the Ruger GP100 but the quality of the fit and finish is significantly higher.

When I started shooting pistols I didn't like revolvers although I'd never held or fired one, now that I know better I find them to be the most fun to shoot of any pistol type. I still think the semi-auto 22LR is still the best choice for a first pistol due to low cost and compatibility with the most competitions, especially if it's all you can have for a whole year but a centerfire revolver needs to be in my collection too.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 14 Jan 2021, 1:29 am

Zappa wrote:
Diamond Jim wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:. I also own a nice revolver that is smooth as cat poo but the Glock is the one that gets to the range 95% of the time.

Im in the market for a revolver. Which one do you have ?

I'm a bit of a retro buff - S&W Model 19 - circa 1973.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 14 Jan 2021, 4:19 am

Glock is a decent gun for a new shooter. They are as simple as can be and they are great as duty pistols, but for competition I found it lacking and essentially to make it worthwhile, I'd probably have to upgrade just about everything on the gun. Which is one advantage for Glock as there is a bunch of aftermarket stuff out there.

I saw the Sig P210 mentioned. Sig Sauer in New Hampshire has put these back into production. They re- engineered it for modern day production techniques. They sell retail for about $1300 here in the USA and seem to shoot pretty well.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by rc42 » 14 Jan 2021, 10:16 am

Glocks are lightweight and reliable, their simple sights are good for large targets at close range and the heavy trigger reduces the risk of unintended discharges, great for law enforcement or a concealed carry if your country allows it.

For Australia, as a target pistol they would suck without modification of sights and trigger and they lack the weight to help manage recoil, there are far better choices available so you won't see them doing well in competitions. They do seem to have a strong fan base but I'd never get one nor recommend one here.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Zappa » 14 Jan 2021, 11:54 am

rc42 wrote:
For Australia, as a target pistol they would suck without modification of sights and trigger and they lack the weight to help manage recoil,

The 34's and lengthened 17's are ok for IPSC. I've sent hundreds of rounds through both of these and they are a fabulous pistol if shooting practical.
I might pick up a 34 gen 4 if I can get one at a good price. They are a fun pistol.
Agree, for 50yd or even 25yd service, they would suck, mainly cause of the sights and recoil for target re-acquisition. Although some guys at my club should them in service without an issue and pull in some good numbers.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Macross » 15 Jan 2021, 10:25 am

We have a Glock 34 (I tell my wife its hers... but really its ours to share :) ) I really like it and have shot it at both target comps and IPSC. I have a Vortex Venom on it which makes a big difference over plastic factory sights. Great gun but as mentioned, probably not the best choice for that first 12 month period as they only one to have.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 16 Jan 2021, 3:54 am

Glock 34 is aimed at IPSC type competition. In my experience it does the job very well.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by CactusElite » 16 Jan 2021, 3:19 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:Glock 34 is aimed at IPSC type competition. In my experience it does the job very well.

That's untrue.. It's not even production legal.

I'd advise against a Glock 34 for that reason.
CactusElite
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers