Ruger Precision Rimfire 22LR Questions

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Ruger Precision Rimfire 22LR Questions

Post by Nato » 22 Nov 2020, 9:49 pm

Hey Guys.

New to the forums so hi :)

I have recently acquired a Ruger Precision Rimfire 22LR rifle and I had a couple of newb questions.

My first question has to do with the bolt throw. I have seen multiple people adjust the bolt throw by removing a black clip in the bolt. I was looking at doing this myself as I am used to firing rifles that have a longer bolt throw but was not sure if this has a negative effect on this rifle. Pretty much looking for a pro/con on whether I should adjust the throw and if I do and choose to go back to a shorter throw, is it hard to put the clip back on.

My second question has to do with bipod's. For this rifle, is it better to use a bipod or just sandbags when shooting bench rest?
Nato
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Ruger Precision Rimfire 22LR Questions

Post by in2anity » 23 Nov 2020, 8:08 pm

Because the 22lr barely recoils, the bipod works fine. Personally I don’t like a bipod on a centerfire however, because I feel the forend can tend “bounce” from the recoil. For a high power rifle, give me sling tension and a bag under my forend hand any-day over the bipod. Apparently there’s some cool technique to using a bipod - something about “loading up” by applying forward pressure to mitigate the bounce. Again, this is not as applicable to the 22lr. Awesome little caliber the 22lr, when applied appropriately. The big heavy holden-jack type things anchoring down F class rifles like this https://images.app.goo.gl/wbq21dNUZKQSw4VT7 also cancel the bounce.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 Nov 2020, 8:41 pm

Nato wrote:Hey Guys.

I have recently acquired a Ruger Precision Rimfire 22LR rifle and I had a couple of newb questions.

My first question has to do with the bolt throw. I have seen multiple people adjust the bolt throw by removing a black clip in the bolt. I was looking at doing this myself as I am used to firing rifles that have a longer bolt throw but was not sure if this has a negative effect on this rifle. Pretty much looking for a pro/con on whether I should adjust the throw and if I do and choose to go back to a shorter throw, is it hard to put the clip back on.

My second question has to do with bipod's. For this rifle, is it better to use a bipod or just sandbags when shooting bench rest?

I doubt it has a negative effect, unless you're equally used to the short cycle of shooting .22 rifles. I shoot a lot of .22LR so I don't need my .22's to feel like my centrefires.

The clip is not difficult to install or remove.

Bipod is down to your own preference, if you are going to shoot from a bipod in the field it's helpful to practice with the same setup.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Woden » 24 Nov 2020, 2:18 pm

Nato wrote:Hey Guys.

I had the same issue with bag vs bipod. A SSAA worker at St Marys Inddor Range educated me when I told him I wasn't happy with my consistency when firing using a benchrest. He rightly said that since my hand guard was round for ergonomic reasons a bipod would be better as it would be steadier and you could 'load it up'. Due to the shape of the hand guard it was not steady enough in a bench rest and moved about a bit. I bought a bipod for my Ruger and have been very happy with the better consistency and ease of use. Thoroughly recommend one.

As others have said, the clip is easy to remove, easy to replace and doesn't affect your rifle's performance in any way.

Good luck with your Ruger PR!
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 19 Dec 2020, 3:11 pm

Nato wrote:My first question has to do with the bolt throw. I have seen multiple people adjust the bolt throw by removing a black clip in the bolt. I was looking at doing this myself as I am used to firing rifles that have a longer bolt throw but was not sure if this has a negative effect on this rifle. Pretty much looking for a pro/con on whether I should adjust the throw and if I do and choose to go back to a shorter throw, is it hard to put the clip back on.

I removed my clip to adjust the bolt throw and it has actually fixed an issue I had with spent cartridge ejection and smoothed up the bolt action too. No longer have an extraction issue and the action is way smoother. I wish I did this earlier!
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Dec 2020, 3:54 pm

You need to practice all sorts of positional shooting that you may use while hunting. I use a bipod but find in long grass I am too low. I use sticks in a seated position to get me up above the grass. You also may be leaning against a tree seated or standing. Practice this at the range.

Off the bench at the range, you can get some pretty good results with a bipod and a rear bag.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles