.17HMR...To buy or not to buy.

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

.17HMR...To buy or not to buy.

Post by Elmer » 24 Nov 2020, 2:28 pm

Ok learned friends,
Im debating whether to (dare I say) purchase a 17 HMR, as you might know Im a loyal fan of the .22WMR BUT I feel im getting drawn into the hype
soooooooo If you Gents would be so kind as to give me a run down on the HMR pros,cons etc that would be greatly appreciated.
Im looking at getting a tikkat1x MTR 508mm barrel (yeah I know , its not a sako) , for the money it looks like a lot of gun (and its made by sako lol).
Be brutal guys, Ive heard and read all the hype( wind sensitive, more accurate than the .22WMR ETC) but I would really appreciate honest opinions based on experience wiht this "Hot rod"rimfire.
Why am I thinking of getting one?, well my gun safe feels like it missing something, plus I havent purchased a new rifle in six years :roll:
thanking you blokes in advance.
Sean.
p.s This would mean some L/R vids using HMR as well :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: .17HMR...To buy or not to buy.

Post by Blr243 » 24 Nov 2020, 2:53 pm

Pretty sure DJ has one. Well done on not spending $ on a new rifle for so long. Are u ok? Can’t remember when I bought my last. I think I have been clean now for 1-2 months
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 24 Nov 2020, 2:53 pm

From my own purchase of a Sako in 17HMR topped with a Meopta 4-12 x 50, I have had a lot of bunny fun with it, well out to 150m +. (no wind, as wind does affect this little pill quite bit). I guess ammo cost is on par with 22WMR, but it depends on what brand/type you buy, I guess. As you may be aware, the 17HMR is a bit pricey for just plinking, I leave that to my 22. My set up is intended for bunny busting from a medium distance, with odd unlucky fox thrown in, now and then.
Do I like it? Too right I do.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 24 Nov 2020, 2:59 pm

got a heap of hornet reloading stuff recently given to me in a deceased estate, I'm thinking of getting a 17 hornet cos the dies for the 22 hornet arent complete anyway, but primers and powder for days
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 25 Nov 2020, 5:42 pm

I have a 17hmr have shot alot of ferals with it great on foxes,rabits and cats have shot other game with it as well and found it to be my go to when i dont want to make so much noise as say a 223 or 222. Cci ammo also makes for a happy shooter. I have had issues with winchester and split cases.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 25 Nov 2020, 6:32 pm

Blr243 wrote:Pretty sure DJ has one. Well done on not spending $ on a new rifle for so long. Are u ok? Can’t remember when I bought my last. I think I have been clean now for 1-2 months

Cheers 243, lol mate thats not by choice :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 25 Nov 2020, 6:35 pm

Bugman wrote:From my own purchase of a Sako in 17HMR topped with a Meopta 4-12 x 50, I have had a lot of bunny fun with it, well out to 150m +. (no wind, as wind does affect this little pill quite bit). I guess ammo cost is on par with 22WMR, but it depends on what brand/type you buy, I guess. As you may be aware, the 17HMR is a bit pricey for just plinking, I leave that to my 22. My set up is intended for bunny busting from a medium distance, with odd unlucky fox thrown in, now and then.
Do I like it? Too right I do.

Thanks Bugman, yes I looked at a tikka today and for the money was very impressed.
I also looked at a sako quad HMR and bloody hell theyre pricey...I think my sako purchasing days are over.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 25 Nov 2020, 6:37 pm

Ziege wrote:got a heap of hornet reloading stuff recently given to me in a deceased estate, I'm thinking of getting a 17 hornet cos the dies for the 22 hornet arent complete anyway, but primers and powder for days

Ive heard nothing but praise for the 17 hornet, I reckon that would be a hot little round :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 25 Nov 2020, 6:40 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:I have a 17hmr have shot alot of ferals with it great on foxes,rabits and cats have shot other game with it as well and found it to be my go to when i dont want to make so much noise as say a 223 or 222. Cci ammo also makes for a happy shooter. I have had issues with winchester and split cases.

Thanks for the info AZZA, from what i have heard the hmr is hard to beat. It looks like a call to the local gs is in order tomorrow. :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Nov 2020, 6:47 pm

A 204 would do a lot more and be 100 times more accurate. But if you really want one, why not.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 25 Nov 2020, 7:38 pm

I have the 22 magnum and a 17 hmr. I love them both. The hmr is a flatter shooter and is an excellent bunny gun. It will knock off a fox if you are careful with shot placement. I would recommend getting one as a nice addition to the gun safe. Having said that the 22 magnum is more versatile than the hmr. I think the hmr complements the magnum nicely though.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Shootermick » 25 Nov 2020, 7:42 pm

I’ve never shot one, and I am a big fan of my 22 mag. But I know they’re very different rounds all the same. They definitely seem to be a pretty popular caliber. So, if the question is do I need another gun? My answer is yes you do. Buy it.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 25 Nov 2020, 7:50 pm

I have a sako quad HMR and 22 Mag barrels.

Before I had the sako I had a brno model 2 fox in 22 k hornet.

Buying the 17HMR convinced me to flog the hornet and I'm glad I've never used one since.

The HMR always has a flyer or two but if you can put up with that then its a great round for rabbits. Makes a really high pitch "poch" on rabbits under 100m.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 25 Nov 2020, 8:47 pm

Mate go ahead and treat yourself. Life is short, if you want one and can afford the luxury then do it. Any cartridge is worth owning, regardless of what you already have. Let us know what you think. Look forward to seeing the yootoob clips when you do. :drinks: :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 25 Nov 2020, 10:36 pm

SCJ429 wrote:A 204 would do a lot more and be 100 times more accurate. But if you really want one, why not.

True mate, but I reckon it would be fun to have rather than get another cf and all the extras that go with.
My .223, 22-250 and .260 niclely covers all the ranges i shoot at out to 1000.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 25 Nov 2020, 10:37 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:I have the 22 magnum and a 17 hmr. I love them both. The hmr is a flatter shooter and is an excellent bunny gun. It will knock off a fox if you are careful with shot placement. I would recommend getting one as a nice addition to the gun safe. Having said that the 22 magnum is more versatile than the hmr. I think the hmr complements the magnum nicely though.

My thoughts too mate.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 25 Nov 2020, 10:39 pm

Shootermick wrote:I’ve never shot one, and I am a big fan of my 22 mag. But I know they’re very different rounds all the same. They definitely seem to be a pretty popular caliber. So, if the question is do I need another gun? My answer is yes you do. Buy it.

I reckon i do :D :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 25 Nov 2020, 10:41 pm

mchughcb wrote:I have a sako quad HMR and 22 Mag barrels.

Before I had the sako I had a brno model 2 fox in 22 k hornet.

Buying the 17HMR convinced me to flog the hornet and I'm glad I've never used one since.
Sounds good to me...Fisher firearms will be getting an order tomorrow :thumbsup:

The HMR always has a flyer or two but if you can put up with that then its a great round for rabbits. Makes a really high pitch "poch" on rabbits under 100m.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 25 Nov 2020, 10:44 pm

JimTom wrote:Mate go ahead and treat yourself. Life is short, if you want one and can afford the luxury then do it. Any cartridge is worth owning, regardless of what you already have. Let us know what you think. Look forward to seeing the yootoob clips when you do. :drinks: :drinks:

Cheers JT, yeah looking forward to som e LR rimfire activty...and making th yt vids as well :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Skinna » 26 Nov 2020, 8:14 am

Elmer wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:A 204 would do a lot more and be 100 times more accurate. But if you really want one, why not.

True mate, but I reckon it would be fun to have rather than get another cf and all the extras that go with.
My .223, 22-250 and .260 niclely covers all the ranges i shoot at out to 1000.

Well the fact your 22's & 260 cover distances you shoot is no reason to NOT buy a 204 is it...?!!...if that reasoning is used you wont buy the 17 rimfire will you--because the 22 mag covers that one ey...!!...
So be very careful you dont trick yourself out of buying another rifle...!!... :lol:

Ive shot the Tikka T1x in 17hrmr...it had a lighter spring to trigger & was a nice rifle to shoot.
Unfortunately it was no where near its potential because its owner cant shoot for sh!t & had plonked this cheap nasty dirty & tinted coke bottle on top of it, so shooting bunny's under light even just out to 90 yds was a real effort for the optic nerve.

I was surprised at how well it did on foxes, every one i hit fell over there n then with that tiny little pill vanishing into the chest cavity, but then they were big easy targets with nothing over 120 yds.

I actually found his outfit quite inacurate, however i attribute that to the scope--again it was so dark it was hard to get an outline to judge eye relief & even head shoot a bunny out past 90 yds.
The rifle however felt very nice to shoot, especially with the lighter trigger.
And this might sound silly, but i thought the rifle suited the round well too...!!

I cant afford one & have other priorities as far as rifles go...however, even after using his i was considering getting one as set up right it would be a great little rifle & round to have for us lovers of bunny sniping if you're happy paying that much for ammo.

:drinks:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Redman1 » 26 Nov 2020, 11:24 am

Well for starters the ammo for both 22 mag and HMR is way to expensive for what you get, 22 wmr doesn't do a whole lot more than a 22lr and the HMR is very accurate but the wind from an ant fart will change that so in my opinion they're both crap, a 22 hornet s**ts on both and factory ammo isn't that much more expensive .
So that's a "not to buy"
Redman1
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Redman1 » 26 Nov 2020, 11:33 am

Well for starters the ammo for both 22 mag and HMR is way to expensive for what you get, 22 wmr doesn't do a whole lot more than a 22lr and the HMR is very accurate but the wind from an ant fart will change that so in my opinion they're both crap, a 22 hornet s**ts on both and factory ammo isn't that much more expensive .
So that's a "not to buy"
Redman1
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 26 Nov 2020, 11:44 am

Redman1 wrote:Well for starters the ammo for both 22 mag and HMR is way to expensive for what you get, 22 wmr doesn't do a whole lot more than a 22lr and the HMR is very accurate but the wind from an ant fart will change that so in my opinion they're both crap, a 22 hornet s**ts on both and factory ammo isn't that much more expensive .
So that's a "not to buy"

Tend to disagree with your .22mag comment, Ive shot Bunnies out to 180yds and a raven at 240.
As for the hornet, its a bit ancient, and from what Ive heard, a pain in the arse to load for.
Im interested in another rimfire not c.f ..plus thinking the 17 would be something different and fun ro shoot .
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by marksman » 26 Nov 2020, 5:11 pm

l can't tell you why you should but that's no reason why not to :unknown:

everyone l know who owns one is happy with it :drinks:

he who dies with the most triggers wins ;)
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles