NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by dyllanb » 25 Sep 2020, 1:27 pm

Just a bit of an update for anyone interested. I've posted in this thread before about my application taking a silly amount of time. I'm now up to day 230 and still sitting at "new application in progress". Originally applied 8/2/20. I've called them a few times now. They told me back in April I would need to submit a change of name request online to have my middle name added to the application. It wasn't included in the pre-fill data in the online form on ServiceNSW. I attached my NSW Photo Card to that request. They did email me a week later saying that's not a valid form of ID and they would need a certified copy of my birth certificate. I emailed them the certified copy the same day. It turns out they never did anything with that email. So for that 100 or so days they did nothing with my application. I only worked out that was the problem because the woman on the phone indirectly said they didn't have my birth certificate. I forwarded them the original email I sent, which got things moving ahead. I missed a call from them a few weeks later and their voicemail advised it's now gone to the adjudication team for review (about 4 weeks ago now). Anyway still no updates so I think I might give them another week and then potentially write to the Commander. Would anyone happen to know who that is?
Thanks
dyllanb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 25 Sep 2020, 2:35 pm

dyllanb wrote:Just a bit of an update for anyone interested. I've posted in this thread before about my application taking a silly amount of time. I'm now up to day 230 and still sitting at "new application in progress". Originally applied 8/2/20. I've called them a few times now. They told me back in April I would need to submit a change of name request online to have my middle name added to the application. It wasn't included in the pre-fill data in the online form on ServiceNSW. I attached my NSW Photo Card to that request. They did email me a week later saying that's not a valid form of ID and they would need a certified copy of my birth certificate. I emailed them the certified copy the same day. It turns out they never did anything with that email. So for that 100 or so days they did nothing with my application. I only worked out that was the problem because the woman on the phone indirectly said they didn't have my birth certificate. I forwarded them the original email I sent, which got things moving ahead. I missed a call from them a few weeks later and their voicemail advised it's now gone to the adjudication team for review (about 4 weeks ago now). Anyway still no updates so I think I might give them another week and then potentially write to the Commander. Would anyone happen to know who that is?
Thanks

Anthony Bell has been called up as a witness in the last couple of weeks in the Edwards murder inquest to answer questions about the firearms registry. This letter he signed in July 2019 even shows his mobile phone number. Not sure if he is still in charge.
https://psa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2 ... ment-3.pdf
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Kel » 02 Oct 2020, 7:34 am

I had a permit approved recently and it took a full month to arrive in the mail. Not sure what's going on with that. Can't really pin that kind of delay on Oz post though, they still deliver here every day.
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Dedd » 03 Oct 2020, 11:06 am

Yep, mine took 2 weeks to deliver. Twice as long as any other mail.
At this point:

Applied for license - 25/06 (actually a couple of days before)
Issued license on - 19/08
Can't remember when I received the physical license.

Applied for PTA #1 - 22/08 (actually a couple of days before)
Issued PTA #1 - 21/09
Received PTA #1 - 02/10

Applied PTA #2 - 17/09 (actually a couple of days before)
Not issued yet.

So, it turns out you are only exempt from the waiting period after the registry gets confirmation that you've actually USED the first PTA. I didn't know that, so now I get to wait 4 weeks for my 2nd PTA as well. Plus postage.
Dedd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Morningblue7 » 04 Oct 2020, 12:00 pm

Hi all,
New to the forum, located in South-West Sydney.
I just thought I'd share how long my application took, as I was seeing some excessively long timelines, and wanted to give some hope to those who recently applied.
July 31st application
September 20th referred to Service NSW
September 25th Letter for photo I.D arrived
September 26th Photo taken and was told 5-10 business days to receive
September 29th Status changed to Valid
October 1st received license in mail!!!

Total of 60 days!!! I know that seems very quick and I'm probably the exception to the rule, but my mate also applied at same time as me and he had his photo taken yesterday on the 3rd so he should have his license in under 70 days as well.
Not sure if the short timeframe has to do with us being located in Sydney and not rural NSW, because our LGS where we took our test also suggested from their experience that the whole process takes around 8-10 weeks.
Morningblue7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by DFP » 09 Oct 2020, 8:21 pm

Blue Mountains fellow here.

I applied 26th March of this year.
Still new application in progress.

Called up 3 times now. Nice people on the other end of the line, but no help at all.
DFP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 10 Oct 2020, 1:15 pm

Have an update on my applications.

Category A/B application submitted July 27.
Probationary Pistol Licence application submitted August 14.
Status on both changed to "referred to Service NSW" on October 10. That's 75 days for Cat A/B and 44 days for pistol. Looks like they were processed together despite the different application dates.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 11 Oct 2020, 11:10 pm

Now at day 230 still waiting I rang them they said my paper work is fine it’s with the adjudication team so basically the same thing they said two months ago. I was saving my money for a 6.5 creedmore but now I might just go buy myself a new saltiga fishing reel.
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MattS » 24 Oct 2020, 1:25 pm

Now at day 321 and still waiting. No change or updates from the Firearms Registry.
MattS
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by DFP » 24 Oct 2020, 6:05 pm

MattS wrote:Now at day 321 and still waiting. No change or updates from the Firearms Registry.

Now, that's a little rough.
DFP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 24 Oct 2020, 7:13 pm

anything more than a couple months is an obvious move to stop people owning firearms through attrition. I absolutely hate australian gun laws.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Roksolid » 25 Oct 2020, 5:05 am

MattS wrote:Now at day 321 and still waiting. No change or updates from the Firearms Registry.

Can you submit another application or will the system not let you
Roksolid
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by DFP » 11 Nov 2020, 6:07 am

Coming up on 8 months, now.

Pretty slow administration we have here.
DFP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dirk Diggler » 11 Nov 2020, 11:48 am

Waiting, waiting.....

Applied 16-03-2020 - rang them, nice but no joy.

I can't believe the randomness of wait times - at least a refusal or referral would be something. Seems very, very ad hoc to me, with added poor communication.

My SSAA membership will expire without even a licence having been issued - grrrrrrr. :|
Dirk Diggler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 14 Nov 2020, 10:14 pm

I’m now at 257 days and my SSAA membership also is about to expire on the 29 of feb 2021
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 14 Nov 2020, 10:20 pm

What’s the go with your membership expiring while still waiting to get the FAR to approve your application obviously I can’t get my minimum shoots in does the club waive the requirements or do I have to join another club or somthing. Don’t know exactly why it’s taking so long I do have some scallywag encounters with police from Over 15 years ago when I was young but since then I’m clean as whistle I have a dealing it has to do with my app I listed target hunting and permission to shoot and the guys farm I have listed as permission to shoot apparently got busted with with a possession of drugs charge months ago so I’m guessing that why it’s taking so long but still he has no gun licence so he won’t have accsess to my firearms so I don’t see the problem I only want to hunt on his property
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ziggy83 » 23 Nov 2020, 6:43 pm

Hi everyone, first post here..
I'm 166 days in and like everyone else, I have called many times and they tell me these are normal waiting times.
But after reading a few posts on here it seems to be varied in waiting times...

I'll keep you's updated if anything changes
Cheers
ziggy83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 27 Nov 2020, 4:35 pm

Daughter applied for her license the other month had it approved in the minimum time frame was very surprised after reading on here i had told her expect a very long wait
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JEL93 » 01 Dec 2020, 11:19 am

Friend and I both applied 3/9/20, he received his notice to go to the RMS after 56 days. It’s been 90 days for me and nothing. Called the registry and they said it can take a year. When asked about his getting processed so quickly they said they background check everyone differently and even look at speeding fines to determine if your a fit and proper person.
JEL93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dirk Diggler » 01 Dec 2020, 3:26 pm

I'm at 260 days........... ;-(
Dirk Diggler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JEL93 » 01 Dec 2020, 3:56 pm

Dirk Diggler wrote:I'm at 260 days........... ;-(

Yea I feel I’m going to be in the same boat.
JEL93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Clem » 02 Dec 2020, 11:39 am

Well reading all of this is a bit of a concern. After going through the expensive exercise of shooter's courses, club memberships and license application fees for my 2 sons just last week, I'm really hoping the processing goes along smoothly.

Image :unknown: :unknown: :unknown:
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dirk Diggler » 02 Dec 2020, 12:05 pm

Clem wrote:Well reading all of this is a bit of a concern. After going through the expensive exercise of shooter's courses, club memberships and license application fees for my 2 sons just last week, I'm really hoping the processing goes along smoothly.

Don't worry, you will probably receive approval within the minimum time-especially if they are young people with no kind of history whatsoever. Good luck.
Dirk Diggler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 09 Dec 2020, 7:13 am

3 and half months and counting to get A/B and that is despite already having a CatH. Makes sense (not)..Fark how frustrating!!! Then it'll be another 6 weeks for PTAs.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Adzy » 12 Dec 2020, 8:17 pm

Applied 26th October 2020 , got a letter saying they had my application 31st October 2020 . Still waiting !
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by DFP » 14 Dec 2020, 6:34 am

JEL93 wrote:

Indeed.

I'm at 263 days now.
DFP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dirk Diggler » 14 Dec 2020, 7:21 am

Adzy wrote:Applied 26th October 2020 , got a letter saying they had my application 31st October 2020 . Still waiting !

So 4 days? or 369 days?
Dirk Diggler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dirk Diggler » 14 Dec 2020, 7:22 am

DFP wrote:
JEL93 wrote:

Indeed.

I'm at 263 days now.

so s**t! it’s so frustrating.
Dirk Diggler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 17 Dec 2020, 1:08 am

3.5 months to receive confirmation of acceptance plus another 10 days for photo advice plus another 10 days for license plus another 6 weeks for PTAs (*yawn*)
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Adzy » 17 Dec 2020, 8:17 am

Are we seeing a pattern here ? I mean seriously, what is the point of these long delays ? Our license is in the system, we have to wait the required time anyway longer is not going to deter our application as it’s already done. All it does is frustrate and damage the businesses that rely on new shooters to purchase Firearms and ammunition. Maybe it’s the plan to try to damage the businesses and therefore the whole Shooting industry viability ?
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws