Sportco Model 62A 22lr - Firing Pin issues

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Sportco Model 62A 22lr - Firing Pin issues

Post by Greenbeast12 » 01 Nov 2020, 10:47 am

Hi all,

I have a Sportco Mod 62a 22lr with some annoying issues - running along the lines of misfires/light primer strikes on a few different brands of factory ammo.

i've done some searching for parts on the gun itself but haven't really come up with any information apart from buying another rifle :lol:
Could it be as simple as the firing pin spring being too weak and causing this issue?

Would love to know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Love my shooting.
Rem700 260rem
Ruger Gunsite Scout 308
Howa 1500 338wm

Reloading is the best relaxation.
Greenbeast12
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Sportco Model 62A 22lr - Firing Pin issues

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Nov 2020, 1:18 am

G'day Greenbeast12,
Yes, a weak spring may be the cause, but just as likely to be dirt build-up inside the bolt or headspace wear or firing pin wear. Pull the bolt apart and give it a good clean, reassemble and check pin protrusion then test fire. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 02 Nov 2020, 5:54 am

G'day Greenbeast12,

I had to strip and clean the bolt of my [recently acquired] 1976 Anschutz 1515, .22WMR as I had a couple of rounds not fire - there was an indentation on the rim of the cases, but obviously not enough to cause the round to fire. There were also two cases where there was no indentation on the case. There was a 'click' as I pulled the trigger, but the rims of the two rounds were unmarked. Clearly the firing pin did not advance on trigger release. I concluded it was 'gummed up' and needed cleaning. The spring appeared very strong, especially when I set out to reassemble the bolt! When I compare the indentations on cases pre-cleaning to cases post-cleaning it appears that the indentations from the firing pin are now deeper. If the problem occurs again I will look for a replacement firing pin and spring.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Greenbeast12 » 02 Nov 2020, 7:21 am

Duh! Thanks guys- ill be pulling it down and re testing to see if that helps. Probably hasn't been done for a few years.

Funnily enough I cleaned all my CF bolts yesterday and didn't even think of it.

Cheers,
Love my shooting.
Rem700 260rem
Ruger Gunsite Scout 308
Howa 1500 338wm

Greenbeast12
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by allan » 02 Nov 2020, 2:45 pm

I owned a 63A for over 40 years - I had a few issues with light strikes about 30 years in!

This spring is a drop in will most likely sort your problem (along with a good bolt clean & light lube).

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/KIMBER-82G-82A-and-82B-22LR-STRIKER-SPRING-p72157604
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by snag » 02 Nov 2020, 6:17 pm

My very first course of action in these circumstances is to soak the bolt overnight in 2 stroke petrol. Majority of times it solves the problem with no further action required. You'll be amazed at the gunk that comes out.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Greenbeast12 » 02 Nov 2020, 9:27 pm

snag wrote:My very first course of action in these circumstances is to soak the bolt overnight in 2 stroke petrol. Majority of times it solves the problem with no further action required. You'll be amazed at the gunk that comes out.

Simple but effective clean and lube, I like it!
Love my shooting.
Rem700 260rem
Ruger Gunsite Scout 308
Howa 1500 338wm

Greenbeast12
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by NTSOG » 03 Nov 2020, 5:56 am

G'day,

I soaked the bolt from my Anschutz in kero for a few hours, then disassembled it, scrubbed it with a toothbrush and flushed all openings/apertures and dried with clean absorbent cloth before lubing as per Anschutz's instructions.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Greenbeast12 » 22 Dec 2020, 5:41 am

Finally got some time to get out and test after fully disassembling and cleaning the bolt and was still seeing the same issues as earlier so I'll be looking around for a spring to replace the original.

Cheers,
Love my shooting.
Rem700 260rem
Ruger Gunsite Scout 308
Howa 1500 338wm

Greenbeast12
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 22 Dec 2020, 6:46 am

Greenbeast12 wrote:Finally got some time to get out and test after fully disassembling and cleaning the bolt and was still seeing the same issues as earlier so I'll be looking around for a spring to replace the original.

Cheers,

As the bolt is now nice and clean there is one more thing to try, you have nothing to lose.
Remove the spring and measure it's free length.
Now try stretching the spring so as to permanently lengthen it to about 50% longer than original.
Try to do this evenly over the majority of the coils.
This works with many older Australian made springs due to the steel used and the spring making technique. They have a tendency to gradually lose their set when held compressed. Combine that with a build up of congealed oil and dirt and there is the source of your problem.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by snag » 22 Dec 2020, 7:43 pm

Another "Bubba fix" is to put a spacer on the firing pin to increase compression. I'm told that telescopic ariels off old radios are good for this. Never done it myself but. Reckon lashing out on a new spring would be the way to go.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 24 Dec 2020, 6:31 am

Actually installing a spacer, provided it is in the right position (bubba will inevitably put it in the wrong position), is quite a legitimate way of gaining greater spring suppression and hence preload.
Sometimes it is the only option possible where the original firing assembly, from new, had only just sufficient striker energy for reliable ignition and there has been an increase in friction due to an unfavourable deterioration in clearances due to wear and stronger springs are unavailable.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Greenbeast12 » 25 Dec 2020, 9:05 pm

I had tried to stretch the spring the other day when I had it apart but was stiffer that I had the correct tools for. I might have to give it another go otherwise I'll be getting another spring. Apparently Winchester 320 bolts are very similar internally so I might be able to find myself one of those
Love my shooting.
Rem700 260rem
Ruger Gunsite Scout 308
Howa 1500 338wm

Greenbeast12
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Greenbeast12 » 13 Feb 2021, 11:54 am

After a awesome bloke messaged me with some parts for this Sportco, ive finally been able to test it out.

Shoots well now and fires every single time!

@flashman thanks once again!
Love my shooting.
Rem700 260rem
Ruger Gunsite Scout 308
Howa 1500 338wm

Greenbeast12
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by flashman » 14 Feb 2021, 8:45 am

Hi Greenbeast12 im glad to be of service , we will need pics and a full report ok ................ :drinks:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Guido » 15 Nov 2021, 9:56 am

I’m having the same issue! Cleaned added spacer, it worked okish for about 200 rounds now doing the same. I’m thinking the pin has worn down. I could do with a parts list Mr Flashman
Guido
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Pinko » 18 Nov 2021, 7:44 pm

Guido wrote:I’m having the same issue! Cleaned added spacer, it worked okish for about 200 rounds now doing the same. I’m thinking the pin has worn down. I could do with a parts list Mr Flashman

You will probably need to visit jnpgunsprings and look under Kimber Parts for the striker sping. Its a $10 part but good luck getting them to send it to you.
I have been waiting for them to resume international shipping, which the closed down due to lenghty shipping delays in 2020.
Pinko
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2021, 8:35 pm

Pinko wrote:
Guido wrote:I’m having the same issue! Cleaned added spacer, it worked okish for about 200 rounds now doing the same. I’m thinking the pin has worn down. I could do with a parts list Mr Flashman

You will probably need to visit jnpgunsprings and look under Kimber Parts for the striker sping. Its a $10 part but good luck getting them to send it to you.
I have been waiting for them to resume international shipping, which the closed down due to lenghty shipping delays in 2020.

Anything special about this spring?
Maybe just make a new one?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 19 Nov 2021, 11:41 am

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 19 Nov 2021, 6:57 pm

Well done Flashman.
You are hereby awarded "The San Serafino Order of Purity and Truth"
This is a Flashman in-joke blokes.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 21 Nov 2021, 9:38 am

Hay Greenbeast12 thats great news glad it all worked out for u ..........Yummm spare parts, i will go through my junk draw ,sorry recycling draw see what left.. :thumbsup:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles