The introduce yourself thread (combined)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The introduce yourself thread (combined)

Post by Daz » 03 Apr 2020, 9:44 pm

Hi I'm Darren from South Oz.
Thought I'd say hi and introduce myself. I've been shooting for around 5 years, a member of Para range for 3 years.
I'm not really into tactical rifles or precision shooting, more into cowboy lever action rifles, shotgun clay busting and service pistol events.
I have purchased and sold many firearms and slowly building my permanent collection.
Also enjoy getting off road in the Flinders ranges in my 80 series Landcruiser.
I'd really like to start hunting but haven't really found the time as I run a mechanic business which takes up most of my life.
Well thats about it for now.
I look forward to sharing my input within the various forums here.

Darren
Henry H001 .22 , Winchester 94 Sioux 30-30 , Marlin 1895GBL 45-70 , Miroku MK70 12G , Dickinson T1000 Camo 12G , Beretta 92FS 9mm
Daz
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Wedgetail » 10 Apr 2020, 3:58 pm

Hi everone just getting back into shooting after a 15 year break we recently bought a 70 acre property near rocky in Queensland and have a few dingo / wild dogs to sort out. I am looking at a 25-06 That's up for sale would have liked one years back but had a 270 so couldn't justify it hope to get back into pigs and goats again once all this settles down . Cheers Dave
Wedgetail
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ozzielee303 » 16 Apr 2020, 8:56 pm

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen
Just joined the forum,have been coming and going here for a bit of info the past few weeks,thought I would join.
So Hi :D
I live in Far East Gippsland,love casting and shooting lead bullets in my firearms,I love smle 303's,I have about 5 of them,even a cadet 310 which I'm working on at the moment,load development so will be asking a few questions on that,hope to be able to help others as well.

Cheers for now
Ozzielee303 :drinks:
Cheers
ozzielee303
"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by GAV78 » 17 Apr 2020, 9:24 am

Hi all, new member here. I stumbled across this page while looking up reloading information and I’ve just spent the last few hours reading all sorts of different subjects.
Perfect timing since we can’t go anywhere non essential!
Both my wife and I shoot at ranges but wish to do a bit more hunting and camping.
Thanks for the ad
Cheers
GAV78
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Fred Smith » 17 Apr 2020, 6:04 pm

Hi All.

Long time lurker and have read just about everything on here to read.
Grew up on the land, joined the military then went back to the land. Went back to trade work (Fitter and Turner) for the last 17 years.
Just been made redundant from my job after 9.4 years, yep sucks, but time to do something else other than traveling all over the world repairing mining equipment.
Do a bit of vermin control. Might be time to get serious about it once lock-downs finish and non-essential travel resumes. I reload all my own ammo. Next on the purchasing list will be a chrono.
My Sauer 6.5 Swede is a tack driver, the Ruger not as much. I have had it for nearly 2 years and finally I think I my have a load for it using 50 gn V Max and BM2.

Cheers
Ian
Mine...Brno Md2 .22
Voere 22mag
Ruger American 22-250 Stainless (Gorne)
6.5 x 55 Swede (1902 CG)
6.5 x 55 Sauer 100
Howa Varmit Stainless Camo 22-250
Want..30-06
Fred Smith
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by northdude » 19 Apr 2020, 6:24 pm

hi been here a little while been shooting all my life reload shoot in comps and hunt
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Lever Boulevard » 27 Apr 2020, 4:29 pm

G'day everyone, yet another forum noob deciding to join up instead of just reading from behind the veil.

I've been pulling a trigger here and there for many years, mostly pest control on family farms etc.
My better half and I finally got things in order last year and bought ourselves some acreage in the SEQ region, we got settled and it was time we got our own licenses.
Missus is only interested in targets and the little pests, I'll be the one heading out for the real fun.... eventually.

This current issue I don't need to name has thrown a lot of our plans out the window of late since everyone has jumped on the self-sufficiency wagon, and to add further insult, it'll now be a lengthy wait to even get started with the headaches we'll be facing with firearm ownership in QLD thanks to all the FSC providers all shut down.
The timing sure sucks but at least we're not in sardine city, it's so nice grabbing a cuppa and walking 'the block' with nothing but fresh air and the wildlife.

Hopefully things improve soon and I can start contributing occasionally
Lever Boulevard
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Robin » 04 May 2020, 3:23 pm

Hi I'm kinda new to shooting, I had my licence about 10 years ago and gave it up, and I wish I hadn't , anyway 10 years later, I have reapplied for my licence about 2 months ago, so I'm close to getting it back again.

I'm interested in target shooting and hunting , target shooting I have done plenty , however I haven't done hunting, so hints and tips and if anyone wants a tag a long that would be great so I can get to know and learn all about it.

I'm looking at getting a few rifles ,

TIKKA T3X SUPER VARMINT STAINLESS in a .223 and also in a .308 , I think that should keep me covered for both Target and hunting , do you think they are both good rifles for those reasons, I was also thinking of a .22 for fun, however I think the .223 might cover what the .22 does.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Rob
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 04 May 2020, 6:18 pm

Hi all and welcome.
Rob - if your not reloading you can easily pay $1 per shot from the .223...where’s a .22 rim will set you back a few cents per shot...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Hello from outback NSW

Post by boingk » 06 Jun 2020, 6:28 pm

Hey all.

I'm from outback NSW and have gotten back into shooting after a 5 year hold, other things just took priority and I found myself cleaning and oiling things once a year before putting them away again.

A few new mates at work are all into range days so I'm back in the fold and having a literal blast. None of us are super serious about any particular discipline, just enjoy the social and technical aspects of it all. Example, our last range attendance started with groupings of various calibres and then ended with us all focusing on a rock at the 150m line with .22LR's. Good fun had by all.

Anyway, long story aside I'm here to get a bit more knowledge and share a few experiences along the way.

Thanks for having me - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Raven » 02 Aug 2020, 9:38 pm

Hi all,
I'm from Northern NSW. As a teenager I spent my school holidays on my uncle's farm with an air rifle.
Fast forward 30 years and I finally live rural and have just got my licence.
I have signed up with SSAA and will be joining Northern Zone Hunting ASAP. Interested in mainly long range target but would love to experience hunting.
I'm waiting on my first PTA approval but have already put a deposit on LA105 in 6.5CM.

Sam
Raven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by eddievic » 08 Aug 2020, 7:47 pm

Been shooting for quite a long while. I am Interested in longer range target shooting at the moment. I have quite a large selection of rifles in the safe from the good old 22lr to 338lap.

With the current stage 4 restrictions, i am itching to get back out there, until then decided to join some online communities. I always say you are never too old to learn some new tricks.

Thanks
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Woody » 10 Aug 2020, 2:17 pm

Hey new to this group from Tas

Just starting back up shooting after 20 years of work and kids I decided to get back into shooting

Is there anyone on here that has or knows of a property my father(retired) and I can go shooting wallaby’s on

Thanks
Woody
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Winit » 27 Aug 2020, 12:36 am

Hi from London. I'm Bobby.
I found your community on the search.
I enjoy hunting, fishing, travelling.
I'm looking for a good advice about gun for deer hunting.
But it's in the other thread.
Winit
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by Starlight67 » 24 Sep 2020, 3:26 pm

G'day all. Shot a bit a fair number of years ago, but new to this forum. I'm from SA, and am trying to get back into the sport after a bit of a hiatus. Looking forward to seeing what's new.
Starlight67
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Irish9 » 29 Sep 2020, 5:05 pm

G'day,

I'm from South of Ballarat in Victoria. Keen shooter, prospector, cartridge collector, bottle digger and collector etc. Spent most of my life in the bush and will spend most of the rest of it there too!

I recon I was on here ages ago but can't find any evidence to back that up so started this account ;-) Kind of cracked the s**ts with the new facebook so think it's time to get back onto forums.

Hope to help and learn from you lot as much as possible.
Irish9
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Codez » 02 Oct 2020, 10:10 pm

Hi I'm Codez

West Australian. Heart is by the sea love the bush. Have a family cattle station. Boilermaker by trade also worked for land management agencies.

I like to get out there to get a feed and take the young boys out to show them how to be men. I also love the Dutch history of WA

Hope to be of help
Last edited by Codez on 07 Oct 2020, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Codez
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by OzzyBrent » 05 Oct 2020, 6:27 pm

G'day shooters,
I have been shooting on and off for about 20 years with Hunting, Range and Military. Doing alot of range shooting in Rifle/Shotgun/Pistols for the last few years although new to the forums etc.
Cheers and thanks for having me,

Brent
***OzzyBrent***

Lithgow LA101 .22lr
Lithgow Model 12 .22lr
Ruger American Predator .243
Marlin 1894c .357 (JM Stamp)
Adler A110 12g
GSG 1911 .22lr
Beretta APX 9mm
OzzyBrent
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by cz515 » 16 Nov 2020, 9:41 pm

Hi i have just started the process to apply for my license, wish me luck.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by knivesinthenight » 17 Nov 2020, 9:39 pm

Hi all,

Been reading through the forum and appear to be in good company. Lots of good people here.
Just recently back into guns after 20-25 years (when was that amnesty?).
have got back into it as we've bought some land west of Toowoomba and needed something to bait my 2 teenage sons out to the block with.
Have started and finished my collection for now, a 22, 2 x 223s, 2 x 308s and a 12g.
Nothing really to hunt out that way so I'll be mainly "sighting the rifle in readiness for hunting Officer" when out there. Am only interested in hitting ferals anyway, but with the drought out there your lucky to see anything living. I'd love to go after pigs, but sounds like you'll only find them near water (of which there is little of).
Loving reading up on here- there is so much knowledge and given generously. Always good to learn from those walking before you.
Cheers all.
knivesinthenight
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 8:38 pm

I had no idea this was here. I'm not new, just commenting to be able to follow. Most of you have your impressions of me already. :lol: Welcome noobs, enjoys, and don't let the forum trolls bite.
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Nov 2020, 9:13 pm

Hi Knivesinthenight, Welcome to the group. But hang on, re your comment that there is nothing to shoot here...
There are heaps of ferals to shoot in Queensland! For example, feral cats, foxes, dogs, pigs (in plague proportions) and deer! Just ask any farmer, they are being ran over with them. :x
Oh, hang on, Sorry, all these ferals are safe and sound and protected in National Parks and State Forests where we are not allowed anywhere near them.
Cheers... :(
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by knivesinthenight » 20 Nov 2020, 10:44 pm

right on RoginaJack
i can see there are nice natural dams in state forest just 2 clicks down the dirt road from our block but there is no point checking, just would teeze us. Maybe I should ask some of the farmers in the local area.if it's ok to look on their property, but then again, it's not that simple i'm sure
knivesinthenight
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Nov 2020, 1:13 pm

No harm in having a friendly chat with them. They might know of someone that has a problem and could do with a hand...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Psion » 23 Nov 2020, 2:55 pm

Hi Folks
WA based, been reading a lot of posts, will even start commenting when I've leant a bit and can make a contribution.
Currently own
45-70
and 17 HMR

have room for a few others.

cheers
Cheers
270 Sako
45-70 henry
223 Howa
17 HMR savage
Psion
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Kenny5258 » 23 Nov 2020, 11:39 pm

Hey kenny from WA.

Been reading posts last few weeks and decided was time to actually join forum.
Been shooting for couple years, mainly targets with .22lr. Recently got a .223 for targets and pest control on the farm.
Kenny5258
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Benevision » 29 Dec 2020, 1:58 am

Hi all, I've been lurking here for a few months but just decided to join. WA based and just (relatively recently) got my gun licence.
Only have an old Norinco .22 and an Adler B220 PG.
Been shooting paper and doing a little plinking (and a tiny bit of hunting) with the norinco and some boxes of Quiets on our semi rural property but hopefully can get to know some farmers and join a club.
Seems to me that there's some good discussion here so hopefully someone will be willing to answer my dumb questions lol.
12G Adler B220 PG
.22 Norinco JW-15A
Benevision
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 01 Jan 2021, 8:11 pm

Benevision wrote:Hi all, I've been lurking here for a few months but just decided to join. WA based and just (relatively recently) got my gun licence.
Only have an old Norinco .22 and an Adler B220 PG.
Been shooting paper and doing a little plinking (and a tiny bit of hunting) with the norinco and some boxes of Quiets on our semi rural property but hopefully can get to know some farmers and join a club.
Seems to me that there's some good discussion here so hopefully someone will be willing to answer my dumb questions lol.

:welcome: and Happy New Year!
Member-Deleted

Post by JimTom » 02 Jan 2021, 9:57 am

Welcome to all the recent contributors. Glad to have some new members and fresh ideas.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 02 Jan 2021, 7:43 pm

Hi all. Just joined recently so I can engage in conversation. I’ve learned a lot reading your posts and am awaiting my PTA’s for a cz rimfire and Stoeger air rifle. I plan to go to Cecil park range initially and see how I go. I like the idea of going to hilltop and eventually getting a 223. Trying to target shoot on a budget! Can I ask, am I likely to need a bag for each rifle or can you get 2 rifles in a gun bag for transport? I thought maybe having a sock on each within the one bag would be ok?
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation